computerclinicfl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages computerclinicfl

Go to www.ninite.com and download Classic Start - it will change your (windows 8) life! It makes the computer boot right to desktop mode, adds in a normal start menu and is configurable.

computerclinicfl

seamore2001 wrote:Might be worth buying, just for the write-up.

Would like to hear more from people that bought at the previous offering - did this look like a refurb or was the appearance, quality of packaging good (I'd be giving as a gift, so things like that matter).

I bought this at the last run and bought another one today. It is an impressive machine - especially at that price! Buy with confidence. It came in a sealed Toshiba box and looked brand new. I hope this batch is the same.

computerclinicfl

fcajr wrote:How easy would it be to upgrade to Windows 7?

I bought one of these last month and it was a little bit difficult to find Windows 7 drivers but it wasn't impossible. For a novice though it may be a bit too much effort. Instead, go to ninite.com and download the Classic Start (classic shell?) - it will make 8 run like 7.

yeahbuddy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yeahbuddy
skykingatc wrote:Toshiba has the WORST customer service I have ever seen. I had a Toshiba laptop and never had it work right, after 3 trips to the shop. They did nothing to try to fix the problem. Buy any other brand if you can!!!

i would say you've never bought an HP computer then.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
computerclinicfl wrote:I got one of these from here a couple of months ago - it looked brand new. They are manufacturer refurbs. Awesome laptop - I loaded Battlefield 3 and played on good settings with no video lag.

@computerclinicfl,

'Wondering how you can know today's woot is a "manufacturer refurb"?

Seems like woot would hoist the banner if that were true. The following lingo normally means third party refurbished and warrantied by woot, not the manufacturer.

"Condition Refurbished"
"Warranty: 90 Day Woot Limited Warranty"

BTW, the May & June woots of this model number used the same language.

Perhaps staff can chime in...

banshee9x

quality posts: 0 Private Messages banshee9x
skykingatc wrote:Toshiba has the WORST customer service I have ever seen. I had a Toshiba laptop and never had it work right, after 3 trips to the shop. They did nothing to try to fix the problem. Buy any other brand if you can!!!

Way to throw in all Toshiba's under the water with one experience with a different model more than likely. I've had my Core 2 Toshiba for years now and the only issue was the dvd drive broke and they fixed it without issue. Still works but I've since upgraded to a newer computer. I have nothing but positives with Toshiba; their laptops or their TV's. Now with all that said I have not dealt with a non-factory refurbished model.

brookemargaret

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brookemargaret
ILGal wrote:Folks who have purchased previously - any real-life reports of battery life? Are batteries replaced during the refurb process?

need answer to this or i guess have to go for ad a8

gorehog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gorehog
cjsutherland wrote:Regarding #2. If you were looking to run Chrome OS, which is a "minimalist" OS from my understanding, why would you want this machine?

This laptop is way more power than you would need to run Chrome OS fluidly.

Just my opinion of course.

I want to do some experiments using chromeOS as a thin client. I need a machine that can compile the code. It requires a 64-bit OS to compile apparently.

unicaw89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages unicaw89

Is this a touch screen?

raveletg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raveletg

Has any ones laptop shipped ?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

raveletg wrote:Has any ones laptop shipped ?

Say, you are impatient, aren't you?

The sale would have stated that it would ship in 3-5 business days after the sale. This is the 2nd business day. HOWEVER, it looks like it's shipped. You should be getting a tracking email soon (check spam/junk folders).

You can also use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your order details which you can get via Stuff You Bought. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tyknee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tyknee

I just got mine, and while the laptop is nice (visually) and the performance is great, the Wi-Fi adapter is just "missing". It's not in Network adapters, it's not in Device Manager, nothing. I've found the "airplane mode" key, and it suggests it's turning the Wi-Fi on, but still nothing.

Going to call Toshiba tomorrow, see what happens there...

jephboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jephboy

I left work and heading home feeling giddy like a happy little girl, super excited that it was my 16th birthday or the night of the prom and that I had put on only my best attire, ever, and had spent all that day beautifying and accessorizing myself. Well, except that I'm not a girl nor am I into cross dressing. I had received an email from FedEx a couple of hours earlier, and then a txt from my wife saying it had arrived, and I felt butterflies, parasitic worms, really, in my stomach. Even before the wheels had stopped rolling as I pulled into my driveway, I shifted into neutral and turned off the engine. Heck, who cares about having to repair the transmission later anyway? The only thing on my mind was that box that has just come in.

Like a little boy rushing madly to the Christmas tree to find and open his presents on Christmas morning, I jumped right through the door and almost smacked into the unopened side of the two-sided French door of our house. I about tripped on the stairs trying to climb up the split level, expecting to see the box there. But there was nothing there.

"Where is it?" I cried out.

"Oh, you're home?" my wife answered from the sofa recliner. "I think I put it over there somewhere." She pointed towards the sliding glass door in the dining area.

I hopped over some toys and almost skidded to a stop on the hardwood flooring when my eyes caught sight of the box.

"Wow!" I exclaimed. "It's a Toshiba box."

"Yeah, isn't that what you ordered?" my wife asked.

"Heck yeah. But I didn't think it would be a Toshiba box. I was half expecting some generic brown box or something," I answered, already halfway through trying to rip the tape off. Except, the tape wouldn't break. It was the heavy duty variety.

I looked around for something hard, something sharp, to pierce the tape and rip it open. Eying my daughter's metal toy spatula, I grabbed that and poked at the tape in futility. The adhesive film held back its sturdy self and laughed silently at my feeble attempts to put a tear into it.

"You got something I can use?" I asked my wife. She gave me a puzzled look, but then nodded after I pointed to the box.

"Well, I can get you the scissors or something, but don't you have your keys?" she answered.

Oh, yeah, I had forgotten about that. I always use my keys to tear and break off packaging tape. That was odd that I didn't remember this. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the keyring, jingling with anticipation for the gratuitous murder it was about to commit on the poor, innocent packaging tape. "Thanks, honey."

"Hello to you too," she sighed and rolled her eyes.

"Sorry, hi honey," I apologized, trying to feign some sort of damage control. "How was your day? I missed you." Funny though, because I said it without even looking up. Already, the tape was being slaughtered by the sharp points of my saw-like house key.

"I see you're not going to be much of a conversationalist today, so I'll be in the living room. Let me know when the wedding will be and I'll decide if I want to come," she said with an obvious hint of disgust before disappearing out of my view.

I finally got the contents out of the box. It was well wrapped, sealed in a clear plastic bag of shrink wrap sorts, and pristine. I did a quick examination for obvious wear and tear, damage, or other evidence of usage, but all I could find after removing the screen protector sheet was a slight smear from the sheet itself and a small sprinkling of dust near the display panel's hinge that the factory refurbisher had failed to clean. Other than that, everything looked brand new. Even the printed keys on the keyboard and the fans and vents.

I spent the rest of the night removing Toshiba, Symantec, and other expected bloatware and replaced it with Avast and a few other things I preferred. I also ran Windows Update and allowed it to come up to speed in an ever changing world of bothersome malware and adware. Overall, I finished installing my favorite browsers, tweaking configuration options, setting up my encrypted Wifi connection, and installing LibreOffice 4.1 by the time I had to go to bed, including a fifteen minute rush-dinner. I ran a quick Windows Experience Index test and the score came out to 5.9, with the 5400 RPM hard drive being the chokepoint. Everything else scored in the upper 6 and 7 range, so I made a mental note to upgrade the hard drive to a solid state drive in a year or two when larger, cheaper drives were available.

I plopped down in bed around ten o'clock, just in time to sleep. It couldn't have been a more perfect purchase. Other than my initial struggle getting the stupid tape off the external packaging, everything extremely smooth. Everything was newer than I had expected and near perfect condition, with the only evidence of use being that small area of dusty that hadn't been wiped. Every indication, including the original Toshiba box, suggested it was refurbished by none other than the manufacturer itself. I was impressed with this purchase and would recommend this laptop if anyone should chance to see it on Woot again, perhaps, for an even better price.

JohnGault

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JohnGault
tyknee wrote:I just got mine, and while the laptop is nice (visually) and the performance is great, the Wi-Fi adapter is just "missing". It's not in Network adapters, it's not in Device Manager, nothing. I've found the "airplane mode" key, and it suggests it's turning the Wi-Fi on, but still nothing.

Going to call Toshiba tomorrow, see what happens there...

I have just the opposite problem, the WiFi is there but no other adapter found for wired ! (I WANT wired) The specs say "10/100BASE-T Ethernet" but the computer says NO.

ThunderThighs

Staff

JohnGault wrote:I have just the opposite problem, the WiFi is there but no other adapter found for wired ! (I WANT wired) The specs say "10/100BASE-T Ethernet" but the computer says NO.

Are you saying there is no RJ-45 port? Or the port is there but not working? You might go into Control Panel and see if it's disabled.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

JohnGault

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JohnGault
ThunderThighs wrote:Are you saying there is no RJ-45 port? Or the port is there but not working? You might go into Control Panel and see if it's disabled.

The port is there, just the computer says there's no adapter (in the Device Mgr). The RealTek wireless adapter is there, the "MS Kernel Debugger" is there and nothing else. I've tried to "Add Hardware" "Search for Changes" but it never sees any Lan Network Adapter....

ThunderThighs

Staff

JohnGault wrote:The port is there, just the computer says there's no adapter (in the Device Mgr). The RealTek wireless adapter is there, the "MS Kernel Debugger" is there and nothing else. I've tried to "Add Hardware" "Search for Changes" but it never sees any Lan Network Adapter....

Mighty strange. Contact Toshiba and see if they can shed some light on it. If you don't have luck there, contact support@woot.com for assistance.

FORUM MODERATOR

mvilardo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mvilardo

Very, very, disappointed. Cannot get it to connect to internet most of the time. My sons and husband have all tried. It says I'm connected when I run a trouble shooting program - but when I click on anything that takes me to the internet, it says I have no connectivity. Will be returning this.

JohnEBoi1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JohnEBoi1

Awesome! Mine lasted less than 2 weeks and has completely crapped out. complete system failure.

Will now be engaging the 90 day warranty.