0%
0%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

walterwu

quality posts: 7 Private Messages walterwu

Is this better than Logitech's Revue, which crashes constantly and is no upgradeable to Google TV's current OS? If it's better, I may consider getting one.

writeb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages writeb

Geez, I gotta say, this thing looks sexy. Now if this would have come out two(!) years back instead of the initial Sony Google TV monstrosity, I would have gotten this in a heartbeat. That said, this one is missing blueRay/DVD capability.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3142 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Lot's of additional info and reviews (3 out of 5 stars) over at amazon

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3142 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of good reviews (3.4 out of 5.0) over at amazon

outz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages outz

no HBOgo support :-(

Zenofex

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Zenofex
walterwu wrote:Is this better than Logitech's Revue, which crashes constantly and is no upgradeable to Google TV's current OS? If it's better, I may consider getting one.

I own a few different Google TV devices and of the second generation models I prefer this one the best. Take note however that Sony NSZ-GS7 does not have a microphone on the remote which is the only difference between it and the newer model NSZ-GS8. Also for everyone looking into Google TV for cable cutting, a decent chunk of content providers block Google TV devices from streaming videos. To bypass this block you need to perform one of many roots for the device which means breaking warranty. Information on this process can be found at
http://gtvhacker.com/

Many negative things can be said about the platform as it's fairly "crippled" in comparison to its full android counterparts. However, based on rumors this device as well as all others in the second generation will get an update by the end of year which will be "AOSP" based and will provide the normal Android experience users are accustomed to.

-Zenofex

wootbrooked

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootbrooked

okay so I need help! I have a largish computer monitor I plug into a netbook and I stream TV shows on Hulu Plus and movies on Netflix. I would think this would be able to replace my aging netbook but my media connection between monitor and netbook has all these little pins and it doesn't look like the Sony Player has that type of connection?

Doza

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Doza

In for one! My two favorite companies teaming up to make one great product. I was so close to buying a Smart TV too. There is nothing wrong with my current TV; I just wanted my TV to play YouTube videos and Netflix wirelessly. Now, I can use this and keep my TV. I consider that saving money.

rileyper

quality posts: 66 Private Messages rileyper

Does this work with my chromecast

Doza

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Doza
wootbrooked wrote:okay so I need help! I have a largish computer monitor I plug into a netbook and I stream TV shows on Hulu Plus and movies on Netflix. I would think this would be able to replace my aging netbook but my media connection between monitor and netbook has all these little pins and it doesn't look like the Sony Player has that type of connection?

A lot of little pins, eh? Like VGA?

If so, you're out of luck. This thing only takes HDMI.

wootbrooked

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootbrooked
Doza wrote:A lot of little pins, eh? Like VGA?

If so, you're out of luck. This thing only takes HDMI.

thanks for the help

testudoaubreii

quality posts: 13 Private Messages testudoaubreii

Oh man, I wish I watched TV more, because DANG this thing is indeed sexy as all heck.

xxooss

quality posts: 12 Private Messages xxooss

how does this compare to the Roku? I have had a Roku for a few years now and find I use it rarely anymore.

robtlite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robtlite

for a computer monitor you would need to buy.
AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable (9.8 Feet/3.0 Meters)

[url=http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B001TH7T2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376635664&sr=8-1&keywords=dvi+to+hdmi[/url]

lerche08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lerche08

Is there anybody who know, if I can use this in Denmark

vykos113

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vykos113

anyone know if this will support AVI and MP4 on and external HDD like the sony network media player - 100?

wizwor

quality posts: 21 Private Messages wizwor
xxooss wrote:how does this compare to the Roku? I have had a Roku for a few years now and find I use it rarely anymore.

Chances are that if you do not use the Roku, you will not use this -- unless you LOVE something from the Play store (YouTube?) that is not supported on the Roku. (YT hack on Roku here)

It's pretty tough to pair you with a streamer without knowing what you watch ;-)

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
robtlite wrote:for a computer monitor you would need to buy.

here

But then you'd still have to do something about sound. This box only has digital sound out. Even if the monitor has speakers, it's unlikely to take that.

AVspec

quality posts: 5 Private Messages AVspec

Yeh, what the heck, been spending so much money lately on woot I might as well get this as it should pair up nicely with my memory foam mattress!?!?!?!

In for one!

chumbuddie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chumbuddie

Maybe this thing looks sexy, yeah sure, but if the remote came with a remote so you didn't even have to use the remote, that'd be way outta sight. But I think I digress...

shylo321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shylo321

Does it play RedBox Streaming by Verizon?

SteveK

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SteveK

Does it work with a Tivo?

If so, does it connect between the Tivo's HDMI out and the TV HDMI in?

bellebandit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bellebandit
craigthom wrote:But then you'd still have to do something about sound. This box only has digital sound out. Even if the monitor has speakers, it's unlikely to take that.

I have the same question about using my extra monitor as a tv with this thing...could I plug in my iPod docking/speaker bay for sound like I did with my cobbled together laptop that was recently replaced with a woot?

rilessean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rilessean

I used the Slingbox app from the Google Play store on my phone and tablet. Anyone know if you can use that app on this?

theermine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theermine
writeb wrote:Geez, I gotta say, this thing looks sexy. Now if this would have come out two(!) years back instead of the initial Sony Google TV monstrosity, I would have gotten this in a heartbeat. That said, this one is missing blueRay/DVD capability.

I have GTV devices from Logitech, Vizio and Sony. The Sony I have is the early one with BluRay, it might be large but, it's the best GTV device I have tried. I'm able to DLNA push anything I want to it and it plays.

I have not found another GTV device that works as well as the early Sony. If this one performed even close to as good, I'd but a few of them.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
robtlite wrote:for a computer monitor you would need to buy.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-HDMI-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B001TH7T2U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376635664&sr=8-1&keywords=dvi+to+hdmi[/url]

Although some DVI can transmit audio, there is probably a good chance that this won't in this scenario to your computer monitor. Although there is a digital optical out for sound on this unit. If you used the HDMI to DVI to carry the video portion, you would need the optical out for the audio. Either your powered speakers/receiver would need to be optical compatible, or you could use an optical to analog converter such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Analog-audio-converter/dp/B004C4WPXA
with this setup there is the potential for video/audio sync issues- but if you use straight optical without the converter, it should be minimized.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
rilessean wrote:I used the Slingbox app from the Google Play store on my phone and tablet. Anyone know if you can use that app on this?

SlingPlayer for Sony Internet Player with Google TV (NSZ-GS7 GTV) extends your complete living room HDTV experience to another TV in your home, or wherever you want to watch on the big screen. Just click on the SlingPlayer app from Google Spotlight with your remote. You can then change channels, navigate your program guide, or watch and schedule recordings on your DVR – all from the comfort of your couch. Now you can enjoy your programming in crystal-clear HD on pretty much any TV
http://www.slingbox.com/go/spcd#.Ug4RpdLZnzg

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
SteveK wrote:Does it work with a Tivo?

If so, does it connect between the Tivo's HDMI out and the TV HDMI in?

It will work in addition to a TiVo. Just use separate inputs on the TV or receiver for the two devices.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4

Google TV is a pretty slick setup. I have a first generation Sony DVD player and love it.

Where it differs from Roku is that it layers on top of your existing cable / satelite service. The glory of GTV is that it works to bring all of your media options together in one place and make it easily accessible. Type in "Tom Cruise" into the search box and this device will show you that Top Gun is playing tonight at 10pm on channel 100, Days of Thunder is available on Netflix, and there is a YouTube clip of him jumping on Oprah's couch.

Its also works with media streaming allowing you to access movies and TVs stored on any computer in your house. No more having to watch home movies on your laptop. As well, it allows you to stream content from your mobile devices to your TV. For example, if you are watching a YouTube video on your phone, tap a button on your phone and it will play on your tv, can also cast pictures and video taken on your phone.

Another option, however, is Google's new Chromecast dongle. For $35, it'll do a lot of what this GTV box will do.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

joee0201

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joee0201

This unit doesn't have voice search like the information says. This remote is an NSG-MR5U. The NSG-MR7U has a mic. See the link below to see the remote you would have to buy. http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666526652&tab=featuresTab#reviews

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4
vykos113 wrote:anyone know if this will support AVI and MP4 on and external HDD like the sony network media player - 100?

Yes, it does support MP4 and AVI play back... but not all MP4 and AVI files are encoded the same. I have ran into a small handfull of instances where the device couldn't play certain files back. Also, just to point out, you cannot plug the HDD directly into the GTV, it must be attached to a computer running a media server. I just use Windows built in media server... I've tried Plex and Twonky, which work fine but neither of them provided any significant advantage over the basic Windows server.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

ladybyrd2003

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladybyrd2003
shylo321 wrote:Does it play RedBox Streaming by Verizon?

According to Redbox Instant's web site is does play on this device. Woohoo!!!!

lamautomatic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lamautomatic

I have had a sony google tv since 2010, and I have to say this saved me soo much money on my non existent cable bill!

I would recommended this to anyone!!

docelmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages docelmer
wootbrooked wrote:thanks for the help

It might also be DVI, in which case you can get an HDMI to DVI adapter. DVI has square and round pins. . .

schalkrm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages schalkrm
wootbrooked wrote:thanks for the help

You can get an hdmi to dvi or hdmi to vga cables and make it work. You pins are probably from a dvi or vga cable. Make sure you look at some pictures of these cords before you buy a converter cable. hope this helps.

egogg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages egogg

An oldy, but a goody:

http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-core dump-that-doesnt,14309/

luggs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luggs
xxooss wrote:how does this compare to the Roku? I have had a Roku for a few years now and find I use it rarely anymore.

I've got both (roku and the original Sony google tv with the blueray) I prefer the roku, way easier to navigate

Terriness

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Terriness

I love my roku, but my xbox 360 is the one with the xfinity app. Anyone know if the xfinity app works on here? It does support flash, though I heard that comcast/xfinity has blocked google tv devices. I'm not sure.

lichme

quality posts: 2680 Private Messages lichme

Wow, am I seeing things correctly? Is this...... new?