tlunde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tlunde

Back on the GTV topic...

Does anyone know if this has built-in support for the MPEG-2 and AC3 codecs?

This article http://gtvfriends.com/2013/03/08/mythtv-frontend-for-google-tv/ indicates that there is a MythTV frontend app availalbe, but some common GoogleTV devices basically don't work because they are missing the necessary codec support.

If you've tried to use this Sony devices as a Myth frontend, I'd love to hear how well (or not) it worked.

Thanks

surveyah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages surveyah

so the description says you can watch Amazon Instant Video using the NEW app on Google Play. as far as i know, there is no AIV app available on Google Play. Is it just that you can only access AIV with this player?

miikl1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages miikl1

Will this make the actual TV shows better too? Second season of Firefly, maybe?

Had enough of the Greatest Real Chef Pawn Pickers Dynasty Impossible Makeover Rescue Swap Bachelorette Shark Boo-Boo type shows.

Okay, rant over, on with the wooting...

dsmmrm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dsmmrm

If it requires some sort of cloud service you can bet Sony will abandon it in a year and turn it into a paperweight and then refuse to even acknowledge it ever existed.

Worst. Company. Ever.

fluffdaddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fluffdaddy
dsmmrm wrote:If it requires some sort of cloud service you can bet Sony will abandon it in a year and turn it into a paperweight and then refuse to even acknowledge it ever existed.

Worst. Company. Ever.

Can you say Sony Dash?
I knew you could. I have two of those Sony paperweights

flyboy1378

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyboy1378
fluffdaddy wrote:Can you say Sony Dash?

Amen. Mine are now just glorified baby monitors that also tell me the weather. Sad,they had potential.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
fluffdaddy wrote:Can you say Sony Dash?

I still have my Sony dash, I use it in the bathroom, and I'm bummed out because a bunch of apps no longer work. I can still use the Cozi calender app, and also use it for headlines and weather- so it's still functional for me. But I love this thing- I wish they didn't abandon it.

Pat Allen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pat Allen

A frequent comments on Amazon is that the box frequently freezes and needs to be unplugged. Does anybody have any experience with this?

chrisac15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisac15
Pat Allen wrote:A frequent comments on Amazon is that the box frequently freezes and needs to be unplugged. Does anybody have any experience with this?

This happened only once to me, after having it for about a year now.

Distalled

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Distalled
Doza wrote:A lot of little pins, eh? Like VGA?

If so, you're out of luck. This thing only takes HDMI.

Yes, but getting HDMI-DVI-VGA adapters is very easy. I have a whole slew of them in my kit.

So I wouldn't be put off by the connections in a product unless it's the old RCA which requires an expensive converter box to play with the now standard VGA/DVI/HDMI plugs.

chrisac15

surveyah wrote:so the description says you can watch Amazon Instant Video using the NEW app on Google Play. as far as i know, there is no AIV app available on Google Play. Is it just that you can only access AIV with this player?

Yes, there is now an AIV app for this Sony GTV player, it used to just direct you to the amazon website initially, but now its a full-fledged app.

joerovt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joerovt
rileyper wrote:Does this work with my chromecast

Pretty sure the engineers at Sony saw the Chromecast and thought "Damn, wish I had thought of that..."

kimhorvath

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimhorvath

Does this interact well with Directv ??

chrisac15

boomn4x4 wrote:Yes, it does support MP4 and AVI play back... but not all MP4 and AVI files are encoded the same. I have ran into a small handfull of instances where the device couldn't play certain files back. Also, just to point out, you cannot plug the HDD directly into the GTV, it must be attached to a computer running a media server. I just use Windows built in media server... I've tried Plex and Twonky, which work fine but neither of them provided any significant advantage over the basic Windows server.

You can indeed connect your hard drive directly to the GTV player, but you need to utilize both USB ports to get enough power for the hard drive. For that, you need something like this
http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-dual-Micro-B-Cable-Black/dp/B005M0ICG2/ref=pd_sim_e_7
I got one, not sure the brand now, but I plug in my portable hard drive directly and it works fine.

Sorry if I'm posting a lot, to correct people, but I own this and firmly believe it is a great device for those that aren't ready to buy a smart tv, this is the next best thing imo. I had 3 Roku players and this blew them away, I sold them for $30 and got myself a 2nd GTV.

chrisac15

kimhorvath wrote:Does this interact well with Directv ??

Yes it does, very well indeed, as long as you have a HD receiver with HDMI output. Otherwise, if you're using regular composite cables or such for SD then it won't interact with it at all.

Just plug it into the HDMI in, set up your cable provider location and remote functions, directv remote no longer needed.

Pat Allen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pat Allen

One last question before I jump on this... I've got a Dish Hopper and I record lots of stuff. Do I access the DVR through the SGTV using that cool remote or do I access it using the old Dish remote and UI? The same goes for the program guide. If I want to know what's going to be playing in the future - do I use the Dish remote and the old program guide? THANKS!

chrisac15

Pat Allen wrote:One last question before I jump on this... I've got a Dish Hopper and I record lots of stuff. Do I access the DVR through the SGTV using that cool remote or do I access it using the old Dish remote and UI? The same goes for the program guide. If I want to know what's going to be playing in the future - do I use the Dish remote and the old program guide? THANKS!

I am not going to say I know the answer for sure, but I would believe you can use the GTV remote to take over most if not all functionality of the Dish remote. It has buttons for DVR functions. And there is the Google Primetime guide that will become your default guide, it shows you stuff you may be interested in on TV, just click it and it will change to that channel. Or you can just double click the guide button to bring up the old [boring] regular Dish guide and do things the way you were accustomed.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all. We're seeing lots of comparisons to Chromecast. Just to be clear, here are a couple things that the Sony Google TV does that Chromecast doesn't:

Work with Amazon Prime Instant Video or Hulu.

Operate independently. Chromecast only allows you to use your TV as a second screen casting content from your smartphone, tablet or laptop. As a result, requires your smartphone, tablet or laptop in order to operate.

This page on Amazon has more FAQ on the Chromecast.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

roboballs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roboballs

Will this do any kind of screen mirroring with Android devices?

Chandin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chandin
chrisac15 wrote:Yes it does, very well indeed, as long as you have a HD receiver with HDMI output. Otherwise, if you're using regular composite cables or such for SD then it won't interact with it at all.

Just plug it into the HDMI in, set up your cable provider location and remote functions, directv remote no longer needed.

thank you! in for one based on this. Just a jazzy new remote for my dinged up DirecTV remote is worth the price.

diddlyelmo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages diddlyelmo

I have one of these for the office that I use with my SlingPlayer at home. It no longer works with HBOGO (90% of the reason I bought it). However, there is supposedly a fix in the works. Sony is moving on to the next generation GS8 and this may end up being the red-headed step child. It does get finnicky from time to time and sometimes doesn't play nice with my slingbox but when it works, it's awesome and it's cheap compared to paying for cable at the office. I'd recommend it at $100 price for sure but go into this knowing that the technology is likely on its way out. There isn't a ton of support for the GS7 meaning you get to reboot the entire thing and set it back up. That takes a solid 5 minutes so when there is a series of bugs it'll make you punch a wall. That being said, I've only had to do it three or four times over the course of the last 8-9 months.

OH, and there was a recall on some of these intially. If you get one of the bad ones with the wrong serial number you have to ship it back in and wait on your new unit (I got to do that...).

It is definitely less buggy then the Logitech unit.

roboballs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roboballs

Sorry, another question I should have asked in my last post.

I want to use this to a large extent for slingboxing from a cable box in another room. I know this is designed to take a cable box as an input, but if I don't do that, will I lose much other than ability to search cable programming?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

surveyah wrote:so the description says you can watch Amazon Instant Video using the NEW app on Google Play. as far as i know, there is no AIV app available on Google Play. Is it just that you can only access AIV with this player?

I don't use Google Play but is this the app?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

diddlyelmo

There is an app that allows you to access and play AIV. It's a pay service though...

jimbuffalo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimbuffalo
wizwor wrote:Chances are that if you do not use the Roku, you will not use this -- unless you LOVE something from the Play store (YouTube?) that is not supported on the Roku. (YT hack on Roku here)

It's pretty tough to pair you with a streamer without knowing what you watch ;-)

jimbuffalo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimbuffalo
jimbuffalo wrote:

what streamer is good for bloatware?

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner

Sounds interesting, but I don't buy any electronics without at least a 1-year parts & labor warranty. Only a 90 day labor warranty? Umm, no thanks. There is a reason that Sony only warranties the labor for 90 days, and the reason is not to the consumer's advantage.

Bill

cjittach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjittach

Anyone knows how this Sony NSZ-GS7 compares to Boxee box?

I stream lots of files through Boxee box and am thinking about getting a second one for my bedroom. If this Sony NSZ-GS7 functions similar to Boxee, I am definitely interested.

Thanks

wshankga

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wshankga

So why would I buy this to replace my Roku?

Lots and lots of woots but the screaming monkey with green cape makes me the happiest.

Digital Blue PC Animation Station
First sucker: ELIJAH98
Speed to first woot: 0m 9.003s
Wooter to blame for sellout: wshankga

loucyphre

quality posts: 1 Private Messages loucyphre
walterwu wrote:Is this better than Logitech's Revue, which crashes constantly and is no upgradeable to Google TV's current OS? If it's better, I may consider getting one.

i took a scoop of dirty cat litter, replaced my logitech revue with it, and im happier. (srsly, my revue never ceases to frustrate me).

this sony looks nice, but i may hold out and see how well the chromecast develops.

diddlyelmo

roboballs wrote:Sorry, another question I should have asked in my last post.

I want to use this to a large extent for slingboxing from a cable box in another room. I know this is designed to take a cable box as an input, but if I don't do that, will I lose much other than ability to search cable programming?

You just hook up the slingbox to the cable box and then use the Sony player to access slingplayer through the internet. You don't lose any functionality. You can still search shows, change channels, etc. etc. You'll need a fast internet connection for HD but it works as it normally would. There is application for the Sony that plays pretty well with slingbox.

cmacclel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cmacclel
flyboy1378 wrote:Amen. Mine are now just glorified baby monitors that also tell me the weather. Sad,they had potential.

I bought one a month ago and the Brookstone outlet store for $39 figured I couldn't go wrong......I WAS wrong.

jackhgardner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jackhgardner

Is this a viable replacement for a "TV PC"? Right now I have a media-PC hooked up to my living room television which we use for occasional web browsing and media playback from a Seagate wifi external hard drive. Can I play our music and video files stored on the drive on this device? If so, can the drive hook up directly to the device or can it take advantage of the drive's wifi capability?

magichj

quality posts: 2 Private Messages magichj

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-receivers/sony-nsz-gs7/4864-6739_7-35118320-3.html

Reviews at CNET are less than impressive. It is a user review, and there could have been a number of updates in the interim, but since this cannot fully replace a HTPC I'll pass.

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

It doesn't look like anyone has linked to the Sony support page with the manuals yet.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NSZGS7&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab

editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid

In the meantime, lemme ask something of folks who already have one or are better at gleaning tidbits than I am: Does this play VIDEO_TS folders?

northcjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages northcjr
Pat Allen wrote:A frequent comments on Amazon is that the box frequently freezes and needs to be unplugged. Does anybody have any experience with this?

My original version of this needs to be unplugged about weekly due to freeze ups. I have had it about 3 years and its been well over a year since Sony sent a firmware upgrade. I am guessing Sony already abandoned my generation.

wizwor

quality posts: 21 Private Messages wizwor
dsmmrm wrote:If it requires some sort of cloud service you can bet Sony will abandon it in a year and turn it into a paperweight and then refuse to even acknowledge it ever existed.

Worst. Company. Ever.

That'd be a bad bet. I happen to own four SMP-N200 streamers which have been out of production for some time. The device continues to improve as Sony keeps adding content. Imagine that -- adding content to a discontinued device. Compare to Roku with its store full of broken channels that 'are the responsibility of the content creator'

mikelally

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mikelally

I had a Logitech Revue since they were released. Ours finally died this year; my wife and kids are lost without it. Last night when this came up I grabbed one in my sleepy state. No regrets, I can't wait to get it.

pmperry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pmperry
xxooss wrote:how does this compare to the Roku? I have had a Roku for a few years now and find I use it rarely anymore.

Very different. Google TV is like Glue that ties all your media together. It doesn't try to replace cable or other streaming services, it incorporates them into one centrally managed area.

I have Roku, Apple TV, and Google TV but, Google TV gets more use because it does much more.