editorkid

quality posts: 92 Private Messages editorkid
northcjr wrote:My original version of this needs to be unplugged about weekly due to freeze ups. I have had it about 3 years and its been well over a year since Sony sent a firmware upgrade. I am guessing Sony already abandoned my generation.

There's a firmware update dated June 29, 2013, available for download at

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NSZGS7&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

(You can't upgrade the unit from the download on that page, but it has a changelog and instructions on how to upgrade.)

pmperry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pmperry
Distalled wrote:Yes, but getting HDMI-DVI-VGA adapters is very easy. I have a whole slew of them in my kit.

So I wouldn't be put off by the connections in a product unless it's the old RCA which requires an expensive converter box to play with the now standard VGA/DVI/HDMI plugs.

The problem is, it is a pass through device. TV goes in, becomes a managed feed, and is passed right back out to the TV.

pmperry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pmperry
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey all. We're seeing lots of comparisons to Chromecast. Just to be clear, here are a couple things that the Sony Google TV does that Chromecast doesn't:

Work with Amazon Prime Instant Video or Hulu.

Operate independently. Chromecast only allows you to use your TV as a second screen casting content from your smartphone, tablet or laptop. As a result, requires your smartphone, tablet or laptop in order to operate.

This page on Amazon has more FAQ on the Chromecast.

Hey that's not accurate! Amazon Instant Video can be played through the browser of a PC and redirected to Chromecast. Oh and Hulu as well, that's probably why Google made Chromecast the way they did.

nuggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy
cjittach wrote:Anyone knows how this Sony NSZ-GS7 compares to Boxee box?

I stream lots of files through Boxee box and am thinking about getting a second one for my bedroom. If this Sony NSZ-GS7 functions similar to Boxee, I am definitely interested.

Thanks

I am pretty sure it does not do NAVI X....Without that app you are not going to get what you want to get out of it....AKA...The Boxee.....

I love how people are buying Apple TV 2 jailbroken units for $300 and up so they can load XBMC so that they can load NAVI-X....

And the easiest thing to do is just buy a refurbed Boxee for a lot less.....

And then the internet is yours.....

caltheon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caltheon
wootbrooked wrote:thanks for the help

Google "VGA to HDMI cable" newegg has one for 7 bucks. Not sure without a better description or picture which way your pins swing, but some careful looking should find the right one.

If you see pins, it's a male. If you see holes, its a female. 15 pins/holes it is VGA (trapezoid shaped) and DVI is 29 pins/holes (rectangle). and of course HDMI which this box is, is the small flat connector.

Based on that, you should be able to determine what cable you need.

Male HDMI to XXXXX (connection needed on monitor...probably going to need a Male HDMI to Male VGA cable.

darelz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darelz

Can any current owners confirm this will do 3d pass through. The reference guide says 3d input and 3d output but not sure about pass through. I want my directv output to pass through to my 3d TV. My logitech revue units do not and would replace them (and lose the big keyboard remotes) if the Sony can.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4
surveyah wrote:so the description says you can watch Amazon Instant Video using the NEW app on Google Play. as far as i know, there is no AIV app available on Google Play. Is it just that you can only access AIV with this player?

On first generation devices, you are correct. To watch AIV on first gen, you have to go through the browser. There is, however, an AIV app for this device.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

boomn4x4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boomn4x4
Pat Allen wrote:One last question before I jump on this... I've got a Dish Hopper and I record lots of stuff. Do I access the DVR through the SGTV using that cool remote or do I access it using the old Dish remote and UI? The same goes for the program guide. If I want to know what's going to be playing in the future - do I use the Dish remote and the old program guide? THANKS!

Everything goes through one remote. The GTV has "IR Blasters" which are just little IR transmitters that you put in sight of the IR receiver on the Dish box or your DVR. There are "Guide" and "DVR" buttons on the GTV remote. You program the remote (easily through the GTV) to send signals through those IR Blasters to control those devices. So if you press "GUIDE" on the remote, it sends a signal to your Dish Hopper to show the Dish guide.

You actually control all tv, dish, cable box, and dvr functions through the same remote. Mostly via bluetooth, so you don't need line of sight. I actually have all of my components now hidden in a coffee table that is behind my couch.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

darkchylde13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages darkchylde13
wootbrooked wrote:okay so I need help! I have a largish computer monitor I plug into a netbook and I stream TV shows on Hulu Plus and movies on Netflix. I would think this would be able to replace my aging netbook but my media connection between monitor and netbook has all these little pins and it doesn't look like the Sony Player has that type of connection?

Try looking for a VGA to HDMI adapter, that should let you hook this up.

{edit} Sorry, someone already suggested this and did a much better job of it. I should have read further.

joebounds

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joebounds

So does this thing actually interact with the cable box and use the Comcast guide? (Motorola DCT6412 DVR from Comcast?) Or does it just control it through the IR blaster and let the signal pass through? In that case local programming info would come from the web?

And finally, does the pass through continue working even when the SGTV unit is off. My wife doesn't like to use extra devices. (Heck, I can't even convince her to use the HD channels. She says it's too much trouble.) If this gets in the way of being able to just turn on the cable box and start watching tv, I'll never hear the end of it.

aliusa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages aliusa

Hey Guys,

How does this compare the Samsung Smart TV? I was really impressed by Samsung's integration between Live TV and the Apps...

Thoughts?

And what version of Android is the remote running?

Thanks

brianss318

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianss318
wootbrooked wrote:thanks for the help

you can buy a vga to hdmi adapter off amazon

sorry didnt see some else already suggested that

deeznutz1977

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deeznutz1977
outz wrote:no HBOgo support :-(

i own one and it does have hbo go

laart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laart
chrisac15 wrote:Yes, there is now an AIV app for this Sony GTV player, it used to just direct you to the amazon website initially, but now its a full-fledged app.

Are you really willing to trust Sony with updating its software?
I have the first-gen Sony GTV, the one with the blu-ray drive, and this is what I get when I try to install Amazon Instant Video App:

mixotika

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mixotika

No HuluPlus - No Sale!!

laart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages laart
deeznutz1977 wrote:i own one and it does have hbo go

HBO GO is not available for first generation sony GTV box - the white one with a blu-ray drive, even with GTV version 3.x. This is one reason why I refuse to buy sony products - they ALWAYS abandon their products, even if they are upgradeable, and customer satisfaction is NEVER one of their goals.

Here's what I see when I try to install HBO GO app:

mtwheat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtwheat

Can someone please explain how this thing works? Is it WiFi or do you have to get certain connections for your TV. I have a Sony HD Tv that I bought back in 2007. Will it work with this TV? I would like to be able to use HBO Go ect. on my TV. Is this what I need to be able to do this? HELP!

paulpascoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paulpascoe
northcjr wrote:My original version of this needs to be unplugged about weekly due to freeze ups. I have had it about 3 years and its been well over a year since Sony sent a firmware upgrade. I am guessing Sony already abandoned my generation.

I have one that needs to be unplugged everytime I turn on my TV (Panasonic Plasma)or it will not turn on but flashes some error post code (10 flashes). Pain in the butt. If anyone knows a fix for this let me know.

northcjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages northcjr
editorkid wrote:There's a firmware update dated June 29, 2013, available for download at

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NSZGS7&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

(You can't upgrade the unit from the download on that page, but it has a changelog and instructions on how to upgrade.)

Thanks! In the past the updates were forced on the machine when I turned it on. I will try this.

justjoeindenver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justjoeindenver

Roku Roku Roku... Does so much more, and for half the price. Between Roku and Playon, everything streams... EVERYTHING.

crodgers79

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crodgers79
chrisac15 wrote:I am not going to say I know the answer for sure, but I would believe you can use the GTV remote to take over most if not all functionality of the Dish remote. It has buttons for DVR functions. And there is the Google Primetime guide that will become your default guide, it shows you stuff you may be interested in on TV, just click it and it will change to that channel. Or you can just double click the guide button to bring up the old [boring] regular Dish guide and do things the way you were accustomed.

Sorry, Dish remotes are HIT not IF and therefore not compatible.I have the Vizio Co-Star and the Dish Hopper and the Vizio remote is very similar to this one. the benefit of UHF is that you can use the remote from another room but non of these universal remotes do UHF.

schmide

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schmide
caltheon wrote:Google "VGA to HDMI cable" newegg has one for 7 bucks. Not sure without a better description or picture which way your pins swing, but some careful looking should find the right one.

If you see pins, it's a male. If you see holes, its a female. 15 pins/holes it is VGA (trapezoid shaped) and DVI is 29 pins/holes (rectangle). and of course HDMI which this box is, is the small flat connector.

Based on that, you should be able to determine what cable you need.

Male HDMI to XXXXX (connection needed on monitor...probably going to need a Male HDMI to Male VGA cable.

NO. You cannot just run a hdmi to VGA cable and expect this digital device to work. Devices of this class are mostly digital only hdmi devices and will not route vga signals through the analog pins in the cable.

Doza

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Doza
Distalled wrote:Yes, but getting HDMI-DVI-VGA adapters is very easy. I have a whole slew of them in my kit.

So I wouldn't be put off by the connections in a product unless it's the old RCA which requires an expensive converter box to play with the now standard VGA/DVI/HDMI plugs.

I wouldn't try an adapter in this case(especially when using HDMI to DVI or VGA). Yes, cheap adapters are everywhere and you can even buy a cable with HDMI on one side and DVI on the other. But DVI only transmits audio on special occasions. I've only heard DVI transferring audio when the graphics driver supports it(on a computer) and the monitor has speakers built in. VGA just doesn't transfer audio at all.

sonyc8aq

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sonyc8aq
walterwu wrote:Is this better than Logitech's Revue, which crashes constantly and is no upgradeable to Google TV's current OS? If it's better, I may consider getting one.

The NSZGS7 is currently running Android 3.2.

Cheers,
Darrell (Sony Agent C8AQ)

sonyc8aq

vykos113 wrote:anyone know if this will support AVI and MP4 on and external HDD like the sony network media player - 100?

The NSZGS7 has a built in Media Player app, to see what file types you can play please visit http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=1168&mdl=NSZGS7 . Also, make sure to read the notes at the bottom of that page.

Cheers,

sonyc8aq

shylo321 wrote:Does it play RedBox Streaming by Verizon?

The Redbox Instant for Google TV App is available to download on the NSZGS7.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redboxinstantgtv

Cheers,

easeves

quality posts: 0 Private Messages easeves
sonyc8aq wrote:The Redbox Instant for Google TV App is available to download on the NSZGS7.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redboxinstantgtv

Cheers,

Hey there! Does this support Hulu Plus and/or Onlive?
Can you share anything we should look forward to in the Jelly Bean update?

TheRaven

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TheRaven
luggs wrote:I've got both (roku and the original Sony google tv with the blueray) I prefer the roku, way easier to navigate

Absolutely correct! And you can control the ROKU with an iPhone or Android app on your phone or tablet.

I have two Roku 2 XS's, a Logitech Revue GTV and a Sony NSZ-GS1.

If all you want is a streamer, I can tell you right now without any reservations that you are better off with a Roku device. The new Roku 3 is even cheaper than this! It's easier to use and it's tiny taking up hardly any power or space. Hell, you can mount it on the back of your TV!

Not only that but the Roku has many more channels (apps) to use for streaming over the GTV.

Note: Last I checked Amazon Video on the GTV it launches the Chrome browser instead of the Amazon APP! Certainly not the behavior or interface you'd expect.

That being said, if you want to use a web browser on your TV, GTV or some HTPC is your best bet.

There are plus's and minus's to the Sony vs the Logitech. Logitech is discontinued but it allowed you to do things the Sony's don't. Like plug in a huge external USB HD and play back formats not supported on the Sony. I have a bunch of full hd 5.1 surround .MKV's that played fine on the Logitech. Not recognized at all on the Sony.

Now my only use for GTV is the Sony to play my Blu-Ray's. Other than that I use my ROKU XS's for streaming or my Xbox360's which connect to my Windows Media Center PC and do full DVR and program guide as well as stream and has IE for a browser.

I use my Logitech Revue keyboard (full size) with my Sony and a USB unified receiver.

So, in conclusion, I recommend either a Roku 2 XS or new Roku 3 over this device hands down if you're simply looking to stream.

ryanmckinnie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ryanmckinnie

Can anyone who owns one speak to streaming video through the web browser?

dhess

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dhess
Doza wrote:A lot of little pins, eh? Like VGA?

If so, you're out of luck. This thing only takes HDMI.

You can down-convert from HDMI to Molex/VGA/RGB with the right converter/splitter. There's always a way to connect - just make sure you don't cause too much impedance (line static) by splitting or extending too much without an amplifier.

sonyc8aq

Pat Allen wrote:One last question before I jump on this... I've got a Dish Hopper and I record lots of stuff. Do I access the DVR through the SGTV using that cool remote or do I access it using the old Dish remote and UI? The same goes for the program guide. If I want to know what's going to be playing in the future - do I use the Dish remote and the old program guide? THANKS!

Yes, you can access the DVR list and DISH channel guide through the NSZGS7 like you are used to, but you can also use the Primetime App which gives you another way to see what is on and what you have recorded (if you have advanced integration with DISH, extra fee from DISH).

Cheers,

danlee00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danlee00
nuggy wrote:I am pretty sure it does not do NAVI X....Without that app you are not going to get what you want to get out of it....AKA...The Boxee.....

I love how people are buying Apple TV 2 jailbroken units for $300 and up so they can load XBMC so that they can load NAVI-X....

And the easiest thing to do is just buy a refurbed Boxee for a lot less.....

And then the internet is yours.....

Navi-X for Google TV

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=amo.navix.gtv&hl=en

sonyc8aq

roboballs wrote:Will this do any kind of screen mirroring with Android devices?

There is no built in App for this, but the Play Store is available to download 3rd party apps. So far I have not found any 3rd party apps that support this.

Cheers,

Doza

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Doza
dhess wrote:You can down-convert from HDMI to Molex/VGA/RGB with the right converter/splitter. There's always a way to connect - just make sure you don't cause too much impedance (line static) by splitting or extending too much without an amplifier.

Again, I'm about 99.9% sure you will lose audio if you use an adapter. There are very few devices that will allow DVI to HDMI audio. VGA won't transfer audio no matter adapter you use. You would need a converter. Molex isn't even a video connection...

sonyc8aq

roboballs wrote:Sorry, another question I should have asked in my last post.

I want to use this to a large extent for slingboxing from a cable box in another room. I know this is designed to take a cable box as an input, but if I don't do that, will I lose much other than ability to search cable programming?

That is really all you would lose. All the other pre installed apps will still work and you can still download apps from the Play Store. Many people use the NSZGS7 just for the reason you are planning. I personally use one just for the Plex app to be able to steam from my HTPC.

Cheers,

BigRob77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BigRob77
wootbrooked wrote:okay so I need help! I have a largish computer monitor I plug into a netbook and I stream TV shows on Hulu Plus and movies on Netflix. I would think this would be able to replace my aging netbook but my media connection between monitor and netbook has all these little pins and it doesn't look like the Sony Player has that type of connection?

You would absolutely need something like this converter cable to convert the digital HDMI signal to analog VGA.

Converter Cable at Amazon

darthindy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darthindy

Does this include the IR blaster? If not, where would I get one?

aps13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aps13
fluffdaddy wrote:Can you say Sony Dash?
I knew you could. I have two of those Sony paperweights

Paperweights? Mine saves me from having to actually look out the window and see what the weather is.

northcjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages northcjr
ryanmckinnie wrote:Can anyone who owns one speak to streaming video through the web browser?

I stream movies from the web browsers on my first generation Sony GoogleTV with Blu Ray player. Works perfectly! Even though I paid over 3x this price when it was new it is worth every penny. Would consider upgrading to this but not having a blu ray player is a deal killer for me.

shminkshmink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shminkshmink

Have one. Love it. Buy it.