kishanm5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kishanm5
darthindy wrote:Does this include the IR blaster? If not, where would I get one?

Hello,

You should receive (1) IR Blaster with the unit, and there are also IR blasters built into the GS7,so as long as it is within range of your devices you can control them.

Kishan (C3HH)
Sony Tech Rep.

prole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prole

how does it display folder on external drives, will it show folder image thumbnails i.e. like album art .jpgs I added to artist and album folders, or does it just do a text list type deal...also anyone know if it supports playlist files???

I've searched the web for a video or image of how things are displayed and could not find anything or overlooked it, see sony tech reps are posting here hoping to get an answer before they are sold out Everyting I turned up showed the web streaming UI's...but none that I saw for stored content via attached drives

Thanks in advance

kishanm5

darelz wrote:Can any current owners confirm this will do 3d pass through. The reference guide says 3d input and 3d output but not sure about pass through. I want my directv output to pass through to my 3d TV. My logitech revue units do not and would replace them (and lose the big keyboard remotes) if the Sony can.

Hello,

Yes, This unit can certainly pass a 3D signal originating from your set top box. It can also playback 3D content from USB flash drives, and various other sources.

Kishan (C3HH)
Sony Tech Rep.

kishanm5

aliusa wrote:Hey Guys,

How does this compare the Samsung Smart TV? I was really impressed by Samsung's integration between Live TV and the Apps...

Thoughts?

And what version of Android is the remote running?

Thanks

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure of your question. This unit runs on Android Gingerbread 3.2 but is expected to be updated in the future. The difference between this unit and the "Smart TV" is this runs on the Android platform and allows you to download apps, movies, music from the ever expanding Google Play Store. Among many other features that both enhance and simplify your TV Viewing experience such as being able to controll all of your devices with a single remote, etc.

Thanks
Kishan (C3HH)
-Sony Tech Rep.

roboballs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roboballs

For apps you download directly onto this device from the Play Store, how do you control them? Obviously your TV doesn't act as a touchscreen. Does the touchpad act as a proxy for screen touches? Do you get a cursor by pointing the remote at the screen? Do you have to get apps that don't require touch input?

kishanm5

prole wrote:how does it display folder on external drives, will it show folder image thumbnails i.e. like album art .jpgs I added to artist and album folders, or does it just do a text list type deal...also anyone know if it supports playlist files???

I've searched the web for a video or image of how things are displayed and could not find anything or overlooked it, see sony tech reps are posting here hoping to get an answer before they are sold out Everyting I turned up showed the web streaming UI's...but none that I saw for stored content via attached drives

Thanks in advance

Hello,

When using the media player application to playback files from a thumb drive, the GS7 will display them as folder shaped thumbnails which do display the album covers. This also applies to DLNA folders a well.
I do not believe it can read play list files because some play lists formats can only work on certain applications such as WMP or iTunes.

Thanks,

Kishan (C3HH)
Sony Tech Rep.

kishanm5

tlunde wrote:Back on the GTV topic...

Does anyone know if this has built-in support for the MPEG-2 and AC3 codecs?

This article http://gtvfriends.com/2013/03/08/mythtv-frontend-for-google-tv/ indicates that there is a MythTV frontend app availalbe, but some common GoogleTV devices basically don't work because they are missing the necessary codec support.

If you've tried to use this Sony devices as a Myth frontend, I'd love to hear how well (or not) it worked.

Thanks

Hello,

Yes the GS7 does support MPEG2 with PCM , Or AC-3 Audio codecs.

Thanks,
Kishan (C3HH)
Sony Tech Rep.

kishanm5

roboballs wrote:For apps you download directly onto this device from the Play Store, how do you control them? Obviously your TV doesn't act as a touchscreen. Does the touchpad act as a proxy for screen touches? Do you get a cursor by pointing the remote at the screen? Do you have to get apps that don't require touch input?

Apps that are available on the play store are flagged for GTV devices only and natively do not support touch screens. Instead there is a on screen cursor which you can navigate via the remote's touch pad or directional arrows.

Thanks,
Kishan (C3HH)
Sony Tech Rep.

roboballs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roboballs

It's great having you Sony reps here to answer questions, thanks! Is there a full list of apps flagged for GTV? Also, can apps be side-loaded?

prole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prole

Thanks, assume the same for attached hard drives as well? And sadly woot is sold out I missed it Hoping they will have more soon?

kishanm5 wrote:Hello,

When using the media player application to playback files from a thumb drive, the GS7 will display them as folder shaped thumbnails which do display the album covers. This also applies to DLNA folders a well.
I do not believe it can read play list files because some play lists formats can only work on certain applications such as WMP or iTunes.

Thanks,

Kishan (C3HH)
Sony Tech Rep.

sonyc8aq

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sonyc8aq
prole wrote:Thanks, assume the same for attached hard drives as well? And sadly woot is sold out I missed it Hoping they will have more soon?

Yes, it would be the same for attached hard drives.

Cheers,
Darrell (Sony Agent C8AQ)

dsmmrm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dsmmrm
fluffdaddy wrote:Can you say Sony Dash?
I knew you could. I have two of those Sony paperweights

Yep, got 2.

xhjin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xhjin

Does anybody know.

1) Flashplayer can be installed as plug-in to Chrome browser?

2) does this freely download and install 3rd party android software?

3) what Android version of this box? can it be upgraded ?

Appreciate.

chrisac15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisac15
darthindy wrote:Does this include the IR blaster? If not, where would I get one?

Interestingly, the device itself is an IR Blaster, so I didn't even find the need to plug in the wired blaster for it to control my other devices. (Glass shelves)
But yes it does include the wired one in any case.

robtlite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robtlite

Hi
I didn't even consider sound in my post. I always route the sound through a receiver.
I use the dvi port on an older optima projector.

I wonder what people that own this think of the remote? They have some nicer Bluetooth remotes coming out and I plan on buying one. I would consider buying this instead. Looks better than any I have seen so far.

You can now load xbmc on android devices.
Although I don't see this particular model being supported.

schmide

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schmide
dhess wrote:You can down-convert from HDMI to Molex/VGA/RGB with the right converter/splitter. There's always a way to connect - just make sure you don't cause too much impedance (line static) by splitting or extending too much without an amplifier.

This is so wrong. When you hook up a DVI/hdmi -> VGA adapter it is actually ignoring most of the pins and using a few pins to run an analog signal. On a DVI adapter it is the cross like pins with pin 8 from the main group. Except for consumer video cards, 99% of consumer hdmi devices are DIGITAL ONLY!!!