WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Dyson Vacuums & Fans

Man, this sucks. All I wanted to do was clean my room, and now I've got this vacuum that really sucks. If you also need a vacuum that sucks, you've come to the right place. If you need a vacuum that blows, you actually need a fan, not a vacuum, but even if that's the case, you've still come to the right place.
Dyson official site

johnlafreniere

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johnlafreniere

I was waiting for one of these and ready to buy, but saw this model on overstock.com for $79... with free shipping. What's up woot?

Thiney49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Thiney49
johnlafreniere wrote:I was waiting for one of these and ready to buy, but saw this model on overstock.com for $79... with free shipping. What's up woot?

Which model would that be? Link?

johnlafreniere

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johnlafreniere
Thiney49 wrote:Which model would that be? Link?

appears to be the same model, refurb.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Dyson-DC16-Root-6-Handheld-Vacuum-Refurbished/3037774/product.html

Now, however it is out of stock. I guess some other people found it too.

hartjo1

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hartjo1

I was really hoping for the return of the $199 Dyson DC39. If anybody knows of where a similar deal can be had, please let me know!

mdnorman

quality posts: 52 Private Messages mdnorman

Aside from the color, is there any difference between this yellow DC23 and the blue DC23 that's available from the Mother Ship for $179 (with free shipping)?

honeybadger12

quality posts: 8 Private Messages honeybadger12

With Dyson, am I buying mostly quality or mostly looks?

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle

Buying our 2nd standard Dyson fan in blue. We love the 1st, buying more. Thinking about how many we want for us and gifts also.

It's a great fan for $105 straight up. I didn't hesitate ordering another Dyson fan or product.

They are the best technology and W000T gives us the chance to get them at least 50% off!

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle

johnlafreniere wrote:appears to be the same model, refurb.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Dyson-DC16-Root-6-Handheld-Vacuum-Refurbished/3037774/product.html

Now, however it is out of stock. I guess some other people found it too.

Why didn't you buy it when in stock? I would bet it's been out of stock for time.

I bought that model for my daughter in college for the dorm room on the small side for $129.00. This is a recently lowered price, $99.

That Overstock ad might have been a come on. They sell 3 then have no more in stock. Keep checking back, I bet they never have it again for that price.

It's happened to me. They have a few, then never again items. I won't shop there anymore, I haven't for 3 years after a bait and switch deal. I went to pay, item was out of stock but said it was available. I called, they offered me a lesser product for the same price.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

BarbieGee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BarbieGee

Having never seen one of the fans in person, how quiet are they?
I noticed something about "re-engineered to be quieter". My imagination thinks these would just produce air noiselessly, like magic! but that's probably not the case, right?

billrhea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billrhea
Thiney49 wrote:Which model would that be? Link?

I think is missed a 2 They are $279 there.

billrhea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billrhea
honeybadger12 wrote:With Dyson, am I buying mostly quality or mostly looks?

I clean houses for a living and only use Dysons. They are a little heavy but other then that they are AWESOME. .

MosquitoControl

quality posts: 20 Private Messages MosquitoControl

Aw man, I wanted that heater. Anyone know how it compares to the newer model?

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

The fans are still vastly overpriced. Air multiplication is a fraud. You're paying a lot of money for a fan that doesn't move much air. The Vornados that were just on Woot move, literally, ten times as much air measured in cubic feet per minute as these turkeys.

narquespamley

Careful on the handheld DC16 vacuum - very mixed reviews suggest it is a competent sucker but battery life is only 5 minutes.

MichXelle

narquespamley wrote:The fans are still vastly overpriced. Air multiplication is a fraud. You're paying a lot of money for a fan that doesn't move much air. The Vornados that were just on Woot move, literally, ten times as much air measured in cubic feet per minute as these turkeys.

We currently own 3 fans and many more Vacs. I strongly disagree with all of your statements about the Dyson fans. They move air like I've never seen. It's not large and bulky but blows as much as most that are.

If you don't like them, then don't buy them. My guess is you never have owned Dyson products because you don't know what you're talking about.

factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum

The risks you take in buying reconditioned. (Amazon Reviewer writes, "I watched bedbugs crawl out of the shipping carton onto UPS man."): http://www.amazon.com/review/R2B5LILCKGWR9W/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2B5LILCKGWR9W.

Woot, are you shipping these from your warehouse (if so, notice any bugs) or are they being drop-shipped?

MichXelle

factotum wrote:The risks you take in buying reconditioned. (Amazon Reviewer writes, "I watched bedbugs crawl out of the shipping carton onto UPS man."): http://www.amazon.com/review/R2B5LILCKGWR9W/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2B5LILCKGWR9W.

Woot, are you shipping these from your warehouse (if so, notice any bugs) or are they being drop-shipped?

So far, all of our Dyson purchases, 8 total have come from W000T. They appear brand shiny new, working perfectly right out of the box, sparkling clean. This is our 11th I think, hope I'm not jinxing myself.

We're sold on Dyson products and buy them all here except our 1st upright at Best Buy for over $500. . We have 2 uprights w/ the ball, 2 cannister Vacs, 1 hand held for our college daughters dorm room, 3 regular fans, 1 hot/cold fan and 2 of the battery operated long wand used daily on the main level of our home. We've never seen dust, dirt or hair on any Vacs unlike the Roomba years ago that arrived filthy. That's our experiences for what they're worth. Email info@woot.com for more information if a moderator doesn't reply.

MichXelle

narquespamley wrote:The fans are still vastly overpriced. Air multiplication is a fraud. You're paying a lot of money for a fan that doesn't move much air. The Vornados that were just on Woot move, literally, ten times as much air measured in cubic feet per minute as these turkeys.

From the Dyson site, fan ratings.
http://www.dyson.com/fans/desk/am01-12-range/am01-desk-fan-12-sil-iron/reviews.aspx

narquespamley

MichXelle wrote:We currently own 3 fans and many more Vacs. I strongly disagree with all of your statements about the Dyson fans. They move air like I've never seen. It's not large and bulky but blows as much as most that are.

If you don't like them, then don't buy them. My guess is you never have owned Dyson products because you don't know what you're talking about.

The numbers tell the story. The Dyson AM03 tower fan takes in 9 gallons per second of air. That is its maximum airflow, because there isn't any such thing as a free lunch. That equates to 72 cubic feet per minute. Not much. Now the Vornado tower circulator I just bought here on Woot for one third the price is rated at 600CFM on high speed. Sure you love your Dyson. It's pretty, and the hype is thick. But if you did a real, open-minded and objective comparison you'd realize it's a lousy fan.

Let me explain the air multiplication thing again. What's happening is that there's this tiny little 72CFM blower in the base. Then it blows through this ridiculously narrow and complex plenum, which creates back pressure and increases noise volume. Then it creates a very thin laminar flow of air in a circle. This does indeed entrap additional air within the circle, but in the process the velocity of the air is dramatically reduced. So if Dyson says there's 15x air multiplication, that means 15x the air is moving 15x slower. Conservation of momentum and energy applies, and CFM out is no better than CFM in.

I'm sorry that you've been taken for a ride by the hype and wasted so much money on these fans.

narquespamley

MichXelle wrote:From the Dyson site, fan ratings.
http://www.dyson.com/fans/desk/am01-12-range/am01-desk-fan-12-sil-iron/reviews.aspx

Sure, Dyson-moderated reviews, for the benefit of the sheep. Meanwhile, the top rated review (over 600) for any Dyson fan on Amazon is the one I wrote on the 12" silver table fan.

mdnorman

Aside from the color, is there any difference between this yellow DC23 and the blue DC23 that's available from the Mother Ship for $179 (with free shipping)?

rtcheung

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rtcheung
narquespamley wrote:The numbers tell the story. The Dyson AM03 tower fan takes in 9 gallons per second of air. That is its maximum airflow, because there isn't any such thing as a free lunch. That equates to 72 cubic feet per minute. Not much. Now the Vornado tower circulator I just bought here on Woot for one third the price is rated at 600CFM on high speed. Sure you love your Dyson. It's pretty, and the hype is thick. But if you did a real, open-minded and objective comparison you'd realize it's a lousy fan.

Let me explain the air multiplication thing again. What's happening is that there's this tiny little 72CFM blower in the base. Then it blows through this ridiculously narrow and complex plenum, which creates back pressure and increases noise volume. Then it creates a very thin laminar flow of air in a circle. This does indeed entrap additional air within the circle, but in the process the velocity of the air is dramatically reduced. So if Dyson says there's 15x air multiplication, that means 15x the air is moving 15x slower. Conservation of momentum and energy applies, and CFM out is no better than CFM in.

I'm sorry that you've been taken for a ride by the hype and wasted so much money on these fans.

Knew my little vornado I got off here was a good call, four years and runs like new. Although I have been meaning to get one of these vacuums...

acheek24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acheek24

Any owners of these models that have pets, or know how they work with pet hair? I know Dyson has their own "pet hair" vacuum, but was wondering how these models fare.

acheek24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acheek24
acheek24 wrote:Any owners of these models that have pets, or know how they work with pet hair? I know Dyson has their own "pet hair" vacuum, but was wondering how these models fare.

Reviews by pet owners at Best Buy and Dyson for the DC33 are consistently good. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dyson+-+DC33+Clearence+Multi+Floor+Upright+Vacuum+-+Iron/Yellow/1052328.p?id=1218214324211&skuId=1052328 Think I'll give that model a try.

MosquitoControl

quality posts: 20 Private Messages MosquitoControl
narquespamley wrote:The numbers tell the story. The Dyson AM03 tower fan takes in 9 gallons per second of air. That is its maximum airflow, because there isn't any such thing as a free lunch. That equates to 72 cubic feet per minute. Not much. Now the Vornado tower circulator I just bought here on Woot for one third the price is rated at 600CFM on high speed. Sure you love your Dyson. It's pretty, and the hype is thick. But if you did a real, open-minded and objective comparison you'd realize it's a lousy fan.

This isn't entirely fair. You're comparing a Tower Fan to a heater. You know why that Dyson moves air slowly, right? Because it has to heat the air, too. If the air passed through it quickly, then it wouldn't be inside the fan long enough to heat up.

So, if you're buying the unit as a fan, yes, you're not getting the best performance. But why would you buy something with heating capacity as a fan?

If you look at the Vornado heaters, they're significantly weaker than the fans, even the tower heaters. Yes, they're still cheaper than the Dyson, but sometimes you don't want a big, ugly black brick in the corner of your room.

mdnorman

Woot Staff -- Please confirm. Does the DC23 Yellow vacuum come with a "motorhead" or "turbin-head?"

The motorhead would have a motor driven brush bar floor tool and the turbin-head would have an air-driven brush bar floor tool.

mdnorman

Is it possible that these DC23 yellow vacuums originally came with motorheads but were refurbished with turbin-heads?

The one for sell here on Woot looks like the motorhead.

rtcheung

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rtcheung
MosquitoControl wrote:This isn't entirely fair. You're comparing a Tower Fan to a heater. You know why that Dyson moves air slowly, right? Because it has to heat the air, too. If the air passed through it quickly, then it wouldn't be inside the fan long enough to heat up.

So, if you're buying the unit as a fan, yes, you're not getting the best performance. But why would you buy something with heating capacity as a fan?

If you look at the Vornado heaters, they're significantly weaker than the fans, even the tower heaters. Yes, they're still cheaper than the Dyson, but sometimes you don't want a big, ugly black brick in the corner of your room.

The Dyson AM03 is just a fan, it doesn't heat the air. They are quite appealing to the eye though, and if the price was lower and I wanted a heater, I would most certainly choose it over a "black brick".

narquespamley

MosquitoControl wrote:This isn't entirely fair. You're comparing a Tower Fan to a heater. You know why that Dyson moves air slowly, right? Because it has to heat the air, too. If the air passed through it quickly, then it wouldn't be inside the fan long enough to heat up.

I'm doing no such thing. This is a totally apples to apples comparison between two pure fans (not heaters) designed to ventilate an entire room.

But I'll bet you a few plug nickels that the same comparison would hold true for a hybrid fan/heater-fan vs. the Dyson, simply because there's such a puny little fan in the Dyson.

MichXelle

Wondering what you have against Dyson?

We have not been taken for a ride or overcharged for these fans. We love them and they work Great!!!

You have a bug up your butt about Dyson but people aren't listening to you. Actually, you should be removed from tne forum for knocking all Dyson items without credibility. Look at the 1st items to sell out...........both tabletop fans. Dyson sales speak for themselves.

Don't worry about how my money is spent, its always done properly.

Have a great day!

MichXelle

Well said. High 5!!! This guy knocks all Dyson products and I bet he doesn't or ever has owned a Dyson or his dream Vornado

mdnorman

Blah, blah, blah... All this back and forth about the thing that blows... Am I ever going to get an answer to my question about the thing that sucks?!

pirana6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pirana6

If anybody wants a 342nd opinion on the vacuums:

I bought the DC25 a week or so ago when it was on regular wooot and wow. The only con is that I run into so much stuff because I'm so excited to use it I move too fast (hint: not a con).
I took it out of the box, set it up and ran over my bedroom once or twice then turned it off to inspect it some more when I looked and realized the dust container had a CRAP load of dust in it. I honestly thought they made a mistake shipped it that way (after testing it or something) but I did my hallway and it filled it up even more.
Simply amazing.

Yeah slightly heavy, but unless you're 8 or 80 then you're fine. And yes use two hands to empty the dust container, but c'mon people MINOR things, that aren't even cons, they're just things to know about the vacuum.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mdnorman wrote:Blah, blah, blah... All this back and forth about the thing that blows... Am I ever going to get an answer to my question about the thing that sucks?!

Sorry for the delayed response.
The Dyson DC23 Yellow comes with a turbinehead, as listed in the "In The Box" specs tab:

http://www.woot.com/offers/dyson-dc23-yellow-1
(1) Dyson DC23 Turbinehead Canister Vacuum includes

Handle
Telescopic Rod
Suction Hose
Brush Tool
Crevice Tool
Stair Tool
Operating Manual

Zetabee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Zetabee

Aw darnit this sucks, I just logged on to finally buy the Dyson DC33 and it's sold out. Noooooo!!!

mdnorman

ROGETRAY wrote:Sorry for the delayed response.
The Dyson DC23 Yellow comes with a turbinehead, as listed in the "In The Box" specs tab:

http://www.woot.com/offers/dyson-dc23-yellow-1
(1) Dyson DC23 Turbinehead Canister Vacuum includes

Handle
Telescopic Rod
Suction Hose
Brush Tool
Crevice Tool
Stair Tool
Operating Manual

I did read the specs before asking the question. The "In the Box" specs don't say whether the "Brush Tool" is the turbinhead brush tool or moterhead brush tool. Although the "Features" tab describes the vacuum as turbinhead model, and the specs tab refers to a turbinhead model, the photo seems to depict a moterhead. Also, elsewhere -- like on the Dyson site -- the yellow DC23 is the moterhead model, while the blue DC23 is the turbinhead model.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mdnorman wrote:I did read the specs before asking the question. The "In the Box" specs don't say whether the "Brush Tool" is the turbinhead brush tool or moterhead brush tool. Although the "Features" tab describes the vacuum as turbinhead model, and the specs tab refers to a turbinhead model, the photo seems to depict a moterhead. Also, elsewhere -- like on the Dyson site -- the yellow DC23 is the moterhead model, while the blue DC23 is the turbinhead model.

Ehhh you are correct good sir.
We've pinged the buyer to have this corrected (the pictures).
The correct image SHOULD show the turbinehead (which has wheels) and NOT the motorhead.

Sorry for the inaccuracies and thanks for spotting the difference. Hopefully the images will be updated soon.

mdnorman

ROGETRAY wrote:Ehhh you are correct good sir.
We've pinged the buyer to have this corrected (the pictures).
The correct image SHOULD show the turbinehead (which has wheels) and NOT the motorhead.

Sorry for the inaccuracies and thanks for spotting the difference. Hopefully the images will be updated soon.

Well... I was hoping you folks were selling the vacuum with the features as depicted in the photo. I think I'm glad I waited for the clarification -- but maybe I'll just be cranky about it instead.

narquespamley

MichXelle wrote:Well said. High 5!!! This guy knocks all Dyson products and I bet he doesn't or ever has owned a Dyson or his dream Vornado

I do own the Vornado. As to my qualifications, I manage, among other people, thermal engineers who design cooling systems for high end electronics. I know a lot more about fans and blowers than you will ever. I looked at the Dyson fans in stores and studied their design (including reading Dyson's patents and comparing the technology with industrial air multiplication products, which again only transform airflow through entrapment not amplify airflow) before writing the pair of Amazon reviews which account for more than 1,000 useful votes. It was obvious from the very beginning how fraudulently marketed they were, with streamers on the outside in the relatively narrow band of airflow but air movement that fell off steeply a couple feet from the center of the fan compared to conventional fans. The rest is just math. If Dyson's fan design technology was so miraculous and power efficient we'd use it to cool products. But it isn't so we don't. It results in a lot of extra noise and uses complex plenums which are expensive and degrade airflow. One area where a similar technology is used is a relatively simple mechanical air multiplication device used on industrial lines that converts a high pressure flow from an air hose to a broader and smoother flow of air, e.g. for cleaning or drying material on a production line. But it doesn't amplify anything.