quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Grilling: gas or charcoal?
  • 37.7% - Charcoal for that smoky flavor 1158
  • 22.9% - Gas to cook it just right 702
  • 36.7% - Either way, I want some 1126
  • 2.7% - Food should be cooked indoors 83
3069 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ToadiesLB

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ToadiesLB

Firepit!

zollars23

quality posts: 15 Private Messages zollars23

Charcoal for flavor AND gas for convenience.

I have both, and if I need to cook something for dinner during the week, gas. If I have time to do it right, charcoal.

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

{img]https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/712b9375-5487-4897-baf4-2212baf8dbca.png[/img]

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

No question, charcoal. Someone gave us a gas grill that we used until it kind of fell apart. Still had the old Weber. The first time we did burgers, the taste was amazing.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

theother1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theother1

Taste the meat, not the heat!

dwoods12

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dwoods12

Neither, my friends. Let me introduce you to the magic of Traeger Smokers, excellent for all your meaty needs, capable of smoking for hours on end and producing the most succulent ribs, pulled pork, and/or brisket you've ever tasted, or just for throwing on a few steaks at a nice, consistent temperature. It doesn't get much better than that, oh, and they are pellet fueled, so yeah, neither.

few82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages few82

Ol' Hickory wood!

babmeers

quality posts: 3 Private Messages babmeers

Infrared! Love my TEC grill.

craige8233

quality posts: 0 Private Messages craige8233

If charcoal gives you the BBQ flavor then charcoal filtered vodka has to taste like BBQ

conculcate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages conculcate
few82 wrote:Ol' Hickory wood!

Now that's more up my alley. I voted "charcoal" because it's closest, but really I cook over hardwoods when available. The plum wood I have left over from pruning my trees is great for chicken and pork.

dcabal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dcabal

Hardwood charcoal in my Big Green Egg. Obviously, it's not as convenient as turning a knob on a gas grill, but I think it's worth the extra effort. I very often am cooking on my BGE 3-4 (or more) times a week.

evvo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages evvo

gas fired smoker!

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain
few82 wrote:Ol' Hickory wood!

2nd for wood, especially hickory. Oak for a lighter, different flavor. I just smoked some peppers over maple yesterday as an experiment. Will let you know how the salsa turns out.

StarKnightGoku

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StarKnightGoku

I grill with propane and propane accessories, I tell you hwat.

jtroyall89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtroyall89

Both have their place we all know, but if you could pick I don't know how you could NOT pick charcoal.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Smoker!

Add whatever wood chips.
Mesquite, apple, sugar maple, hickory, alder, cherry and I use my own grape vines...

For burgers or steaks, I use gas or charcoal, depending how lazy I am. You can still add chips to a gas grill!

dcdjason

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dcdjason
StarKnightGoku wrote:I grill with propane and propane accessories, I tell you hwat.

Taste the meat, not the heat.

HaveAWootDay

quality posts: 5 Private Messages HaveAWootDay

My outdoor grill is electric. Small, portable, easy. Oh, the sear plate gets to 500 degrees so do't think is is a toaster.

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady

I'm assuming Wooters are all smart enough to never use lighter fluid.

The biggest lie that I tell myself daily..."I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

graygamer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages graygamer

Personally I like cooking with fusion power. From a safe distance.