Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3191 Private Messages lichme

Pretty good review over at CNET
Lots of good Amazon Reviews

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

lichme

quality posts: 3191 Private Messages lichme

Item: Nikon 16MP Digital Camera w/18x Opt Zoom
Price: $79.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
7/25/2013 - $89.99 (Woot-off) - 1 comment(s)
7/20/2013 - $89.99 - 15 comment(s)
6/18/2013 - $99.99 - 28 comment(s)
5/18/2013 - $99.99 - 15 comment(s)
4/23/2013 - $99.99 (Woot-off) - 15 comment(s)

7/11/2013 - $99.99 (Woot Plus)
6/24/2013 - $100.00 (Woot Plus)
6/10/2013 - $100.00 (Woot Plus)
5/21/2013 - $100.00 (Woot Plus)
4/29/2013 - $100.00 (Woot Plus)

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's read this overview at dpreview.com

conanthelibrarian

Check out some more info at the product page

conanthelibrarian

pcmag.com says this camera is "fair"

ruthsdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ruthsdad

Conclusion on dpreview with pros and cons.

turtlegir1

quality posts: 34 Private Messages turtlegir1

Bought mine when it was $100 on here, and I've been very happy. For what it's worth, I'm not a high-power camera expert or anything. But the 18x optical zoom is amazing, the Macro is very clear, and the camera is easy to use.

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
ruthsdad wrote:Conclusion on dpreview with pros and cons.

dpreviewers best advice:
Overall, I found that the Coolpix S9300 is a decent travel zoom camera, but there are several competitors that I think are better choices. While it does offer a nice point-and-shoot feature set, the mediocre photo quality, poor battery life, and other annoyances prevent me from recommending it.

Mediocre picture quality is a deal killer. Who buys a camera to take mediocre pictures?

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
lichme wrote:Pretty good review over at CNET
Lots of good Amazon Reviews

Yeah but the top rated review gave it only 2 out of 5 stars!

Most Helpful Customer Review
471 of 508 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Guy finds S9300 mediocre and over priced May 6, 2012
By E. Hall
Style Name:S9300 w/ GPS|Color Name:Black
I'm sure I either have a bad copy...or some of the reviewing users here haven't put it through it's paces.

My problems:

1. S9300 will not lock focus when zoomed at or near it's maximum.
2. Selecting one of the Auto ISO ranges...125-800 ISO causes the camera to select very low shutter speeds, so that even with vibration reduction, if you are shooting people, the imgages are soft...appearing OOF...out of focus. (Unacceptable for this price range.)
3. The facial recognition feature, if used on anything but faces...will most often select something other than what you want to focus on...and since this is a menu driven feature, if you're switching between sceens, like at a birthday party, it's a pain to use.
4. Generally speaking, the images leave a lot to be desired across the board. And, this is the general consensus of online reviews...rating the camera a "C" as very average. I have to agree.
5. Portrait mode is way too cool...and there is no way to adjust the color temp in any mode except Auto. Or from the menu when in Auto...again, for the price, this is unacceptable.
6. And this is a biggie...I have lost confidence in the camera's ability to capture the shots that I want.

I tried to like it...I shot over 200 images...and very few were keepers. I had a Canon Elf S600...and it took better images than this model...and the Canon S600 is 4 years old.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Is this the waterproof one?

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

russdog

quality posts: 5 Private Messages russdog

I have the S9100, which is the model this one replaced and is pretty similar. Mine is a great little camera, I got it mainly because it has a whole lot of lens in a small package: you can zoom way in from far away, and you can use the wide angle settings to get everybody in the shot without backing up thru that wall your back is up against.

Not up to SLR quality, but still takes great pictures in most situations. If you're gonna make prints that are 10x14 or bigger, use a good SLR instead. But who uses a little camera to do that anyway?

The so-so reviews are written with the mindset that it's a $250+ camera. At that price, there might be better choices, beats me. But for $80, this thing is an absolute steal. If I didn't have one already, I'd be sure to grab one at this price.

russdog

russdog

ckeilah wrote:Is this the waterproof one?

Nope.

russdog

krpan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages krpan
dliidlii wrote:Yeah but the top rated review gave it only 2 out of 5 stars!

Most Helpful Customer Review
471 of 508 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Nikon Guy finds S9300 mediocre and over priced May 6, 2012
By E. Hall
Style Name:S9300 w/ GPS|Color Name:Black
I'm sure I either have a bad copy...or some of the reviewing users here haven't put it through it's paces.

That review is no longer relevant since at $80 this camera is no longer "over priced" (it used to cost $300+). It is now a bargain..

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 39 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
krpan wrote:That review is no longer relevant since at $80 this camera is no longer "over priced" (it used to cost $300+). It is now a bargain..

Exactly right. When it was introduced last year at the list price, the camera was poor compared to comparably priced competitors. For $79 it's a good deal, as long as you understand you're getting a snapshot camera that will never take a high quality photograph.

russdog

lorenzodemedici wrote:Exactly right. When it was introduced last year at the list price, the camera was poor compared to comparably priced competitors. For $79 it's a good deal, as long as you understand you're getting a snapshot camera that will never take a high quality photograph.

Actually, it will take great photographs in many, many circumstances. The only people who say otherwise are spec-shoppers, not photographers.

Photo-reviewers search to find the limits of the camera, and they do. While there are situations that will expose weaknesses, it is simply false to say it won't take great photographs. It will.

russdog

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 39 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
russdog wrote:Actually, it will take great photographs in many, many circumstances. The only people who say otherwise are spec-shoppers, not photographers.

Photo-reviewers search to find the limits of the camera, and they do. While there are situations that will expose weaknesses, it is simply false to say it won't take great photographs. It will.

Dude, I am a photographer. I get paid to take photographs. I've won awards at photo exhibitions. Your description of photo equipment review web sites is wrong. These folks depend on the good will of manufacturers like Nikon and Canon. They have experience testing hundreds of different cameras every year. The last thing they want to do is trash a camera from a major manufacturer unfairly. If they say it takes mediocre photos, they are going to be darn certain that's the truth before they publish.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
lorenzodemedici wrote:Dude, I am a photographer. I get paid to take photographs. I've won awards at photo exhibitions. Your description of photo equipment review web sites is wrong. These folks depend on the good will of manufacturers like Nikon and Canon. They have experience testing hundreds of different cameras every year. The last thing they want to do is trash a camera from a major manufacturer unfairly. If they say it takes mediocre photos, they are going to be darn certain that's the truth before they publish.

Dude,I dismiss any comment that starts with the word "Dude".

BobInFla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobInFla

That gps feature is some scary stuff, especially if you take and post pictures of your kids on the InterWeb. I mean, a bad guy could see pictures of your kid, teenage daughter, or who ever, and find our where they go to school, play, shop, or whatever and do what 'bad guys" do.

Can the GPS be turned OFF? If so, does it stay off 'til you turn it back on again, or do you have to turn it off every time you turn the camera on?

SurplusHP

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SurplusHP

Anyone want to recommend a better pocket camera at this price?

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
SurplusHP wrote:Anyone want to recommend a better pocket camera at this price?

I've got nothing!

patric9956

quality posts: 7 Private Messages patric9956

I've got this camera - it is definitely a big step up from your smart phone and a great deal at $79. Of course you are not going to hire yourself out as a wedding photographer and show up with this as your sole camera - but for general day to day or travel and you want decent photos - this works very nicely.

TCurliss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TCurliss
BobInFla wrote:That gps feature is some scary stuff, especially if you take and post pictures of your kids on the InterWeb. I mean, a bad guy could see pictures of your kid, teenage daughter, or who ever, and find our where they go to school, play, shop, or whatever and do what 'bad guys" do.

Can the GPS be turned OFF? If so, does it stay off 'til you turn it back on again, or do you have to turn it off every time you turn the camera on?

By default the GPS is OFF so you have to activate it. Also, a lot of social media wipes the GPS (Exif data) from the pic when it is posted. Facebook will, Google+ doesn't. But if you post it to your blog or webpage it will probably be there.

sirjonsnow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sirjonsnow

Great timing as I just realized that I've lost my camera and would like something decent before a vacation next month.

Anyone who can give a comparison between this and a Canon PowerShot A2500 and/or PowerShot A4000IS ? I'd been looking at those, but this refurb is less expensive than either.

danlecompte

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danlecompte
BobInFla wrote:In addition to that, I dismiss any comments made by a self proclaimed professional ANYTHING that would even look at a $79 product on Woot and compare it to professional equipment of any kind.

I don't know what forum you're reading but he never compared it to any professional equipment, he just said that it's a snapshot camera that won't take high quality pictures but that it's a good deal for $80.

Self-proclaimed professional? That seems like a cheap shot to discredit someone you disagree with. Are you looking for an independent third party endorsement that he's a photographer? If I asked what your job was, I could also absurdly write off whatever your response was by calling it self-proclaimed. Isn't any claim someone makes about themselves online inherently self-proclaimed?

schep999

quality posts: 9 Private Messages schep999
ckeilah wrote:Is this the waterproof one?

I do not know of any waterproof point and shoot cameras that have a zoom greater than 6x. Yet, anyway.

You would need a higher end camera and usually a special plexi-glass style enclosure. And that is not the convenience of a point and shoot on a beach.

xxhaimbondxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxhaimbondxx
SurplusHP wrote:Anyone want to recommend a better pocket camera at this price?

We ordered Canon 115 IS last night on the auction site and now this woot, darn it! We have SD1200 IS, but it's a few years old and upgrade won't cost as much, since the new camera was snatched at $85. My wife is the one that operates it, so she rather get a smaller and lighter camera, plus our Canon takes excellent pictures and was reviewed much higher than this Nikon.

nanaejt

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nanaejt
xxhaimbondxx wrote:Even worse, you could be impressing people that you've spent the summer in Africa, helping kids, however, in reality you were tagged in Harlem, since you couldn't afford rent and had to move further Uptown. Also, your vacation stories could take a hit: "Dude, that tower you stand in front of was in Vegas, not France. I don't even want to talk about marriage problems it could cause. It's a bad deal all the way around.

Classy comment!

33tango

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 33tango

Bought mine recently for $99 and would highly recommend. The negative reviews for the focus issue aren't justified, the default setting for the autofocus is to find faces and focus on them which will drive you nuts if you're not shooting people. Having that the default is a mistake I think. I have had zero problems with mine and have taken hundreds of shots. One complaint that IS valid is the zoom is noisy if you're using it to record video. For $79 it's still a steal.

rfonewatt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rfonewatt

I replaced two Canon Powershots with two S9100's (the model this one replaced) and although they have a nice feature set and take decent pictures....

They are nowhere close to as durable as the Canons.

The automatic lens covers SUCK (no other word to use) and will be the first thing to give you trouble.

Don't even think about reaching in your pocket/purse to grab this thing and accidentally putting any pressure on the lens cover. It will cave in... and don't even think about dropping it.

The other thing that sucks about the 9100 (not sure if this 9300 suffers the same) is a VERY NOISY ZOOM while shooting video. Personally I don't take videos with my point-n-shoot cameras but for those that do you'll become annoyed really quickly.

Also, the pop-up flash is in a horrible place. You'll find your finger resting on it almost every time you grab it to take a shot.

NOTE: It also uses a proprietary USB cable to charge/connect to PC.

With that said, for the money, if you want a decent camera (a lot of optical zoom in a small package, image stabilization) and can sacrifice durability this is a pretty good deal on a pocket camera. Just be very careful with it.

-RF

GreatJorge

quality posts: 40 Private Messages GreatJorge

Canon vs Nikon rivalry aside (read Jewish and Moslem) the most obvious benefit of this camera is the OPTICAL zoom.

Electronic zoom is worthless. It simply crops up (read "craps" on) your shot. You loose detail, pixels, etc. A lot of photographers using point and shoot the first thing they do is disable electronic zoom. Think electronic trickery.

Optical zoom uses optics (typically glass lenses) to get the picture larger or closer. The only way to go. This kind of optical zoom lens was unheard and the reason why this camera used to cost around $300. It is the equivalent
of a 25mm- 450mm lens in full frame equivalent.

It has GPS builtin so it does uses more battery than usual. But no matter how good the battery life, if you "must get the shot"it's a good idea to buy and carry a second battery. Otherwise just wait till you get home/hotel and recharge.

Again this is NOT the perfect camera, but OPTICAL zoom AT THIS PRICE is a good deal.

At this price even if you rely on another camera you ALREADY own if you are going to travel or be outdoors, or hike you may want to have the option of this incredibly long zoom.

For most people a zoom this long is the thing to have when traveling or hiking and a must have for peeping toms or sallies. Must be great in Caribbean beaches. Just sayin'

PS: at the low end of the focal range (un-zoomed or lens all the way in) it has a reach equivalent to 25mm so it is very wide. It includes a full scenic view or large group.

PS2: If you want to "see" the difference of several focal lengths (example 25mm to 450) check out these simulators:

Canon zealots use the first link, Nikon fiends use the 2nd link. And people of earth, use either link.

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EFLenses101/focal_length.html

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/simulator/index.htm

dreamstorm1220

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dreamstorm1220

How would this be for a 10th grade beginning photography class?

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn
dreamstorm1220 wrote:How would this be for a 10th grade beginning photography class?

Honestly, it depends on whether you want to learn composition or photography. Photography, as we still know it, depends on understanding lens opening, shutter speeds, camera sensitivity and how these work together to present the image the photographer is hoping to capture. If that is the goal, a camera with manual controls is a better choice.

If the goal is to shoot without understanding what is going on (I call it the "Andy Warhol school)) then this camera will be fine when you learn about setting resolution, compression, exposure compensation, etc. I prefer plan A, but that is becoming "back in the day" to a lot of people.

Just don't expect to ALWAYS get "bootiful shots of nature and action" all the time without knowing what is going on under the hood.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

Misleading spec that suggests the (somewhat) high resolution of the CMOS sensor will somehow be ideal for low light shooting. It may allow higher ISOs with less noise, but the f/8 lens (when zoomed) is still the limiting factor.

radi0j0hn

russdog wrote:Actually, it will take great photographs in many, many circumstances. The only people who say otherwise are spec-shoppers, not photographers.

Don't expect miracles from a little camera with an 18X zoom!

That means your camera shake will also be 18x and the lens opening will not be large enough to allow a shutter speed good for a steady shot. There ain't no free lunch, folks! Cameras are getting better all the time, but they are not yet THAT good that they can overcome the laws of physics with technology.

zerrenta

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zerrenta
dreamstorm1220 wrote:How would this be for a 10th grade beginning photography class?

I'd say it'd work great for a 10th grade photography class. I bought mine a few months back when it was $100 on here and I've been very satisfied with mine. My only complaint is that it's pretty tough to take good photos in low light - the photos turn out a bit blurry without a flash. I don't have much experience with photography, but to me, if that's the only thing that bothers me about it, it's worth it.

radi0j0hn

lorenzodemedici wrote:Dude, I am a photographer. I get paid to take photographs. I've won awards at photo exhibitions. Your description of photo equipment review web sites is wrong. These folks depend on the good will of manufacturers like Nikon and Canon. They have experience testing hundreds of different cameras every year. The last thing they want to do is trash a camera from a major manufacturer unfairly. If they say it takes mediocre photos, they are going to be darn certain that's the truth before they publish.

As a former nationally syndicated tech reviewer, I can say that many reviewers end up in the stratosphere, assuming that all reader MUST have Photoshop, etc. to be taken seriously.

They forget their audience. Their idea of "mediocre" may refer to a camera that is FAR ahead of the mom and pop camera presently owned. And, again, the drastic price drop figures in as well.

BTW, reviewers in the UK publications are merciless.

rill2503456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rill2503456

How does the nikon compare to, say, http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-S4200-Digital-Camera/dp/B006T7QWGO/?

Price aside, I'm looking for a cheap camera to replace my smartphone (ick, I know) for taking photos, and I imagine that's what the Nikon today is designed for. That said, I'm a bit wary of things like a lack of manual focus (which I guess is to be expected?).

Is this good for someone who wants to have decent optical zoom and likes taking scenery pics as well? (come to think of it, I don't think I've ever taken pictures of people with my own camera)

stevefout

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevefout

I bought one from Woot when it was $99+5. I had previously read the "slightly better than average" reviews but I thought that I would take a chance. For what I wanted (a decent enough, pocket-able P&S) it is more than good. I am going to Italy soon and I wanted a camera that I could slip into a pocket and have at the ready for quick, daylight shots. This more than fits that bill. When I venture out for the purpose of taking pics, I will take my larger Lumix hybrid camera. At $99 bucks, this was a good deal. At $79, this is a VERY good deal.

vicemagnet

quality posts: 5 Private Messages vicemagnet

Do you take photos before you rush off to the gym in 26 minutes?

Great photographers can take great photos with an old 110 instamatic. It isn't about the camera; it's about the photographer's eye.