WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Timex Weekenders

You know those super-simple websites like Umbrella Today or Is It A Jewish Holiday Today? These watches are like that, except they tell you whether it's a weekend or weekday. OK, sorry, we're just learning that this is not in fact true. DON'T STEAL OUR IDEA. 

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr

A good deal to be sure, especially since one of these Weekenders

https://secure.huckberry.com/store/huckberry-general-store/timex-weekender

will set you back $80, and they can't keep them in stock. If you like it, just buy the band, and buy one of these and make you own.

joecooool

quality posts: 23 Private Messages joecooool

Timex is an honest watch company. They build a tough little watch that will hold up to every day use. And unlike Invicta, they don't resort to bogus list prices to make you think you are getting some kind of screaming deal.

Having said that, this is a screaming deal.

irregardlessly

quality posts: 3 Private Messages irregardlessly

I own a weekender and like it a lot. This is a good price. I like the stock bands and it will introduce you to the vast world of aftermarket NATO straps and such.

My one problem with this watch is it ticks VERY LOUDLY. TICK TICK. If you are in a quiet room you will hear it. If you leave it on your nightstand at bed time you will hear it. Mine is wrapped up in a sock on my dresser at night so it doesn't drive me crazy. This problem prevents it from being my every day watch (working in a quiet office) but is my only reservation.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
irregardlessly wrote:

My one problem with this watch is it ticks VERY LOUDLY. TICK TICK. If you are in a quiet room you will hear it. If you leave it on your nightstand at bed time you will hear it. Mine is wrapped up in a sock on my dresser at night so it doesn't drive me crazy. This problem prevents it from being my every day watch (working in a quiet office) but is my only reservation.

Same here. I have one. I really like it but it is beyond LOUD. If that bothers you then stay away from this watch. If not then this is a great watch at an awesome price.

ladyoftheword

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladyoftheword

Silly question, but are the metal banded ones meant for women's wrists? I need a classy(ish) watch for work.

FredWallace18

quality posts: 3 Private Messages FredWallace18
ladyoftheword wrote:Silly question, but are the metal banded ones meant for women's wrists? I need a classy(ish) watch for work.

They say "unisex". The case diameter is 38mm which is a small (by today's standards) men's watch, or I guess a large women's. Both band width and case diameter a bit smaller than what I, a man, am wearing right now.

helpakidgrow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages helpakidgrow
ladyoftheword wrote:Silly question, but are the metal banded ones meant for women's wrists? I need a classy(ish) watch for work.

There is a women's one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timex-Womens-Weekender-Seafoam-Fabric-Strap-Indiglo-T2P073-/271257490839?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3f2834d597
It's 31mm, significantly smaller. I love the color of the one I posted, wish it came in 38mm

shadowknight125

quality posts: 7 Private Messages shadowknight125

I love my Timex Weekender but as others have indicated, it is the loudest watch I have ever heard. It doesn't bother me during the day but at night sometimes I put in drawer because it is louder than most wall clocks.

cricky101

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cricky101

Just ordered the Weekender with the nylon red/gray strap. I've been looking for an inexpensive knock-around watch for hiking/camping/etc ... and it seems like this should work great.

drewspider

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drewspider

I like the face of the purple band...
I like the band of the red/gray band...

I don't have $30.
...or $15.

le sigh

though... if I'm lucky, they'll still be available when I do have aforementioned monies.

starmanbackwards

quality posts: 6 Private Messages starmanbackwards

.[/quote] My one problem with this watch is it ticks VERY LOUDLY. TICK TICK. . Mine is wrapped up in a sock on my dresser at night so it doesn't drive me crazy. This problem prevents it from being my every day watch (working in a quiet office) but is my only reservation.[/quote]

I dont get it....this watch is very loud.....YET you keep it on the dresser wrapped in a sock..
How about leaving it in the kitchen or living room or bathroom or a closet or or or or

Jjona5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jjona5
nmchapma wrote:Same here. I have one. I really like it but it is beyond LOUD. If that bothers you then stay away from this watch. If not then this is a great watch at an awesome price.

Don't sit the watch down on a hard surface and you won't have this problem. I had that issue also and then I put a leather coaster on my nightstand...problem solved.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 37 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

These are very cool as retro watches, especially the silver ones with the NATO style bands. Definitely worth having one or two as accessories when you're dressing in that style. I hope that doesn't sound gay, because I'm not. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's totally, completely fine to sound gay. But I missed out on that experience.

I wonder if they'll edit that out. Oh, the watches, right. Guys should pay more attention to fashion. Watches are one of the few fashion accessories that guys can get away with wearing. A young guy, dressed office casual, wearing a watch like this, on a Friday - killer combination. It would say, "Yeah, I'm here, but at 5 I'm out the door and headed for a weekend of something fun and relaxing."

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Thanks for the "loud ticking" comments.

I have a Timex Indiglo model that is really quiet, so this must be the "B" line with the cheap movement in a nice case.

"Ticks like a dollar watch" still applies!

I'll pass.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

irregardlessly

Jjona5 wrote:Don't sit the watch down on a hard surface and you won't have this problem. I had that issue also and then I put a leather coaster on my nightstand...problem solved.

IMHO this is not true. E.g. if I am sitting in a quiet room and wearing it I can hear it ticking. Yes, the hard surface exacerbates the issue, but the telltale tick is audible to me irregardlessly. (cue shades dropping from sky)

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
Jjona5 wrote:Don't sit the watch down on a hard surface and you won't have this problem. I had that issue also and then I put a leather coaster on my nightstand...problem solved.

Thats good advice, but I'm talking about it being loud while I'm WEARING IT! Seriously, if it's quiet at work I have to take it off. I usually sleep with my watches on but my wife takes it off of me at night because she can't sleep.

Colorodo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Colorodo

Bought the red/gray and purple bands. Picked up two Gerber knives also and paid $5 to ship all four. I am glad to see that deal is back.

kenbuzz

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kenbuzz
drewspider wrote:I like the face of the purple band...
I like the band of the red/gray band...

Same here. That purple band will never get worn, but the replacement band I'm looking at for football weekends in Cincinnati (Black + Orange) would look sharp with the white faced watch.

I hate buying something when I know I'm going to throw half of it away. Wish there was an aftermarket for the band.

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
09/25/14 Roku 1 Streaming Media Player - $30
09/18/14 iGo Car Charger for iPad, iPhone & iPod (3x) - $2 ea
09/04/14 Assorted T-shirts (2x) - $12 ea
08/19/14 HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebooks w/Free 4G - $200
08/06/14 Dr Comics #1 Journal (2x) - $13 ea

MosquitoControl

quality posts: 16 Private Messages MosquitoControl
kenbuzz wrote:Same here. That purple band will never get worn, but the replacement band I'm looking at for football weekends in Cincinnati (Black + Orange) would look sharp with the white faced watch.

I hate buying something when I know I'm going to throw half of it away. Wish there was an aftermarket for the band.

They aren't Bengals colors, and they're not cheap, but I love these bands for these watches:
http://formfunctionform.com/product/button-stud-watchband/

Chromexcel or Cordovan. Look great and age nicely!

capiendo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages capiendo

uses pretty common and inexpensive cr2016 battery. any idea of battery life in this watch?

skyelogan816

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skyelogan816

Man, I really like the look of some of these, but I have super sensitive hearing. I've been limited to digital watches so far. Maybe one day I'll find a nice quiet analog...

jawlz

quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
radi0j0hn wrote:Thanks for the "loud ticking" comments.

I have a Timex Indiglo model that is really quiet, so this must be the "B" line with the cheap movement in a nice case.

"Ticks like a dollar watch" still applies!

I'll pass.

Actually, the Weekender (along with the Easy Reader) is one of the main and most popular Timex models, so I wouldn't say that it comes from the 'b line' at all.

IMO, the loudness here is a bit overstated - you will hear it if it you are in an absolutely quiet room. If there is any background noise at all, you're not going to hear it unless you have it very close to your ear.

The bottom line is these are good, dependable watches that keep time very accurately, and the ones with the 24 hour face are also generally recognized as being relatively stylish in a casual way.

irockash

quality posts: 3 Private Messages irockash

I signed in to order the watch with the red strap and it sold out in that time

mclovintonite

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mclovintonite

I have the olive one. I got it the last time it was on woot (several months ago).

Love it so much I'm probably going to get another one in a different color.

And for $15 why not?

kenbuzz

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kenbuzz
MosquitoControl wrote:They aren't Bengals colors, and they're not cheap, but I love these bands for these watches:
http://formfunctionform.com/product/button-stud-watchband/

Chromexcel or Cordovan. Look great and age nicely!

Unless you already have one, I'd be concerned about the part of the stud that has to stick through the band, and that will be rubbing against the wearer's arm or wrist. Can't seem to find any "inside" photos of those bands, and at 3x the price of the watchface, I'd consider that critical information before pulling the "buy it" trigger.

BTW - Here's the band I'm mating to the white-faced Weekender:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009S07740/

LAST FIVE WOOTS:
09/25/14 Roku 1 Streaming Media Player - $30
09/18/14 iGo Car Charger for iPad, iPhone & iPod (3x) - $2 ea
09/04/14 Assorted T-shirts (2x) - $12 ea
08/19/14 HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebooks w/Free 4G - $200
08/06/14 Dr Comics #1 Journal (2x) - $13 ea

skabob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skabob

I bought another model of the weekender from a website named after a river, and have been very happy with it. The strap is easily adjustable, and it keeps reliable time over the two months since I set it. Nothing wrong with these, and I had someone comment that it was quite fashionable, but that might have been in contrast to the rest of my possessions...

jhammer76

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhammer76
irregardlessly wrote:

I personally like to be reminded that time keeps on tickin' and life is short . . .

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster
jhammer76 wrote:I personally like to be reminded that time keeps on tickin' and life is short . . .

TIMEX - it takes a licking and keeps right on ticking.

and since I'm too lazy to see if anyone has aready posted a review:

Favorite quote:
"In full daylight it's very easy to tell where the handles are and to read the time. That's very important."

At the 3:51 mark he remarks on the ticking volume.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

krbrunson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krbrunson

I may be bored but it's pretty fun reading all the hem/haw on here about a FIFTEEN DOLLAR WATCH.

It's too loud. It's too shiny. It's out of the "B" line. The stud rubs my wrist. It needs a sock and drawer to sleep in.

Keep it up Wooters!

drewspider

So I was digging through 26 pages of NATO straps on Amazon that eventually turned into regular watch bands... but it yielded this little gem:

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Unisex-T2N654-Weekender-Watch/dp/B004VR9J0A/ref=sr_1_1043?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1377217644&sr=1-1043&keywords=nato+strap+20mm

ladyoftheword

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladyoftheword
FredWallace18 wrote:They say "unisex". The case diameter is 38mm which is a small (by today's standards) men's watch, or I guess a large women's. Both band width and case diameter a bit smaller than what I, a man, am wearing right now.

Thank you! I have a hard time distinguishing mm sizes.

drewspider

Revelation...
If I was planning on buying the watch for $15...
and then spending $20 on a band... why not just buy the linked one for $27 and save $8.

Oops.

The cool thing about these watches are the replaceable bands. So why not get one with a band I already like and then at some point get another band I like. As opposed to starting out with a band I just straight up don't like.

drewspider

ladyoftheword wrote:Thank you! I have a hard time distinguishing mm sizes.

Was just on the Timex site.
The Weekender comes in two sizes.
The "full size" is the 38mm.
The "mid size" is 31mm.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 37 Private Messages lorenzodemedici
olcubmaster wrote:TIMEX - it takes a licking and keeps right on ticking.

and since I'm too lazy to see if anyone has aready posted a review:

Favorite quote:
"In full daylight it's very easy to tell where the handles are and to read the time. That's very important."

At the 3:51 mark he remarks on the ticking volume.

The malapropisms in the video are an absolute hoot. Thanks so much for posting this link. I think it's funny how he comments that he doesn't have to look at his cell phone so much now. One less person among the mindless millions staring at their phones. Hooray!

So I have a for real serious question for someone who already owns one of these watches. I understand that the strap slips through the mounting bars instead of being attached to them. Are the mounting bars removable, and could you use a regular strap (the kind that the bars pass through) instead?

EricPost

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EricPost

How's the indiglo on these things? I often work the night shift. I bought a cool watch but the night light, which you have to press is a pain in the neck.

I see the indiglo on the black watches in the photo, but I like the white background better. Both indicate they have the indiglo.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 30 Private Messages olcubmaster
EricPost wrote:How's the indiglo on these things? I often work the night shift. I bought a cool watch but the night light, which you have to press is a pain in the neck.

I see the indiglo on the black watches in the photo, but I like the white background better. Both indicate they have the indiglo.

Check out the 00:59 second mark in the review video above. It looks as though you need to press the crown (that little knobby thing you use to set the time) to turn on the indiglo light and it only stays on while you push the crown in.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

mdm23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdm23

I got mine today. (2N633 with brown woven leather band). It arrived with a dead battery. The clip under the crown (to prevent it starting) was missing. :-(
So i'm $9 more bucks into this....

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mdm23 wrote:I got mine today. (2N633 with brown woven leather band). It arrived with a dead battery. The clip under the crown (to prevent it starting) was missing. :-(
So i'm $9 more bucks into this....

Sorry for the problem. You might email support@woot.com to see if they can be of assistance.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

irregardlessly

olcubmaster wrote:Check out the 00:59 second mark in the review video above. It looks as though you need to press the crown (that little knobby thing you use to set the time) to turn on the indiglo light and it only stays on while you push the crown in.

That is correct. It is pretty bright though. No complaint about visibility at all, but it does take both hands if you are wearing it.