WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What should the next U.S. state be?
  • 30.5% - Puerto Rico 771
  • 9.7% - D.C. 245
  • 17.4% - Some breakaway chunk from an existing state 439
  • 42.4% - 50 is enough 1069
2524 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ceagee

quality posts: 62 Private Messages ceagee

NYC and surrounding area should break from the rest of NYS.
Better for us upstaters.

spongeblake

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spongeblake

First let's get rid of Florida, then we'll talk replacements.

matt1976

quality posts: 10 Private Messages matt1976

Jefferson State.

slavnar

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slavnar

North and South california.

Tired of Southern california taking all of our water and tax money and giving nothing in return.

srblush

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srblush

What difference does it make? The Federal Government's control through force, bribery, or extortion makes statehood irrelevant anyhow. Puerto Rico has the right idea, get all the benefits without giving up your independence.

fidwoot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fidwoot
ceagee wrote:NYC and surrounding area should break from the rest of NYS.
Better for us upstaters.

Totally agree! NYC is a drain on the rest of New York State.

theother1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theother1

57 is already enough!

0ldeag1e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0ldeag1e

The New Germany/Green Ridge area should break away from Maryland and form the state of Northeast Virginia.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
theother1 wrote:57 is already enough!

Only an badger badger badger would not know that he meant 47 which was the number of states he had visited at that point

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

I think we should let a few of the states who so strongly want to secede leave. Considering that they receive far more in federal spending than they contribute in taxes (unlike for example California and New York), we'll all be better off.

wildcat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wildcat
spongeblake wrote:First let's get rid of Florida, then we'll talk replacements.

Hey, I'm from Florida... But I do understand your feelings. Exciting to live hear though, yesterday a sinkhole opened up and drained a 3 acre pond in the front of our development in about 2 hours.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
narquespamley wrote:I think we should let a few of the states who so strongly want to secede leave. Considering that they receive far more in federal spending than they contribute in taxes (unlike for example California and New York), we'll all be better off.

Not a bad idea !

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980

I'm guessing you're one of those "justice for Trayvon" people?

Anyway, why would anyone think Puerto Rico should be a state? Look at a map. It makes no sense.

puttenesca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puttenesca

I would prefer if serveral states secede from the Union instead!

ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan
theother1 wrote:57 is already enough!

Are you really still crowing over a temporary slip of the tongue from 6 years ago? Sometimes people screw up a word here or there. One word in that speech was wrong, and the FULL speech shows him correcting himself (as far as I remember, I don't spend my time reviewing old news reels of minor verbal gaffes from elections long past).

ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan
groberts1980 wrote:I'm guessing you're one of those "justice for Trayvon" people?

Anyway, why would anyone think Puerto Rico should be a state? Look at a map. It makes no sense.

Florida didn't just magically come into being 6 months ago. It's been one of the craziest, most screwed up states in the union for a very long time. Check out the Florida Man twitter for some hilarious gems, or the Florida or Ohio twitter.

As for your map, I did take a look. Puerto Rico is almost 1,000 miles from Florida. That's a long way, I admit. Hawaii is over 2,300 miles from California. So you're in favor of removing Hawaii from the union then as well as Alaska and making only the "lower 48" states actual states with voting rights, leaving the citizens of the other US territories without their full constitutional rights?

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin
groberts1980 wrote:I'm guessing you're one of those "justice for Trayvon" people?

Seems a very odd assumption!
OK I looked at a map and your point is?

itoaseik

quality posts: 2 Private Messages itoaseik

Detroit should be abandoned and turned into a prison state, so that Snake Pliskin can escape from it.

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus

I nominate South Dakota!! There seem to be a lot of people around here that can't stop talking about the place.

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

sparrowflies

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparrowflies

I agree - It's about time South Dakota become a State - They have been doing great work there - - North Dakota? Not so much - they have a long way to go -

hosesplus wrote:I nominate South Dakota!! There seem to be a lot of people around here that can't stop talking about the place.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley
hosesplus wrote:I nominate South Dakota!! There seem to be a lot of people around here that can't stop talking about the place.

Perhaps North Dakota and South Dakota could merge back into Dakota. Think of all the ink that would save, and the money they would save by consolidating state governments.

Then do the same with North and South Carolina, and then Virginia and West Virginia.

crabil88

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crabil88

+1

It has nothing to do with what side of the trayvon martin case your on and everything to do with the ridiculousness that is Florida.
lets see...

Casy Anthony
guy ate off another guys face
woman rides manatee
Dad kills daughter with sword
Trayvon Martin
Sink Holes

just to name a few

jdbishop77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdbishop77

I'm sorry but isn't there 52 states in America.

onefastbob

quality posts: 2 Private Messages onefastbob

I would suggest adding Washington DC as a state and requiring it to be named "The State of Confusion".

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
itoaseik wrote:Detroit should be abandoned and turned into a prison state, so that Snake Pliskin can escape from it.

I... would support this.

Or Cleveland. We never did learn what happened in Cleveland.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats
fidwoot wrote:Totally agree! NYC is a drain on the rest of New York State.

hahahaha you have no idea how Albany works, do you? NYC makes the state a ton of money, and it gets disproportionately distributed to not-NYC.

I'm saying this from Rockland, by the way.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

But then where would you throw away your grandparents?

slavnar wrote:North and South california.

Tired of Southern california taking all of our water and tax money and giving nothing in return.

If you didn't send them tax money, they would move north and sleep on your couch!

Nice to see the hate is pretty much evenly distributed across the nation.

rehta

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rehta
narquespamley wrote:Perhaps North Dakota and South Dakota could merge back into Dakota. Think of all the ink that would save, and the money they would save by consolidating state governments.

Then do the same with North and South Carolina, and then Virginia and West Virginia.

That will not work. Nobody will claim West Virginia.

-Heather (First Burgandy Olfactory Center 12/6/11)

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Better for us upstaters.

I would like to speak for all of the downstate area.......
We would be fine with that.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

dianeblough

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dianeblough
onefastbob wrote:I would suggest adding Washington DC as a state and requiring it to be named "The State of Confusion".

Funniest thing I've heard all day!

MichXelle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
Better for us upstaters.

NYC residents or workers pay a high tax on wages that you don't. So how are they a drain on upstaters? If you lost NYC, you would lose a lot of revenue.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle

ManiacDan wrote:Are you really still crowing over a temporary slip of the tongue from 6 years ago? Sometimes people screw up a word here or there. One word in that speech was wrong, and the FULL speech shows him correcting himself (as far as I remember, I don't spend my time reviewing old news reels of minor verbal gaffes from elections long past).

There have been many more slips of the tongue if that's what you want to call them from Mr. Obama. I won't say more than that as I don't discuss politics or religion.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle

jdbishop77 wrote:I'm sorry but isn't there 52 states in America.

When were you last in a history class, HS or college. We have 50 states, period.

sparklecoogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sparklecoogs

I'm all in favor of getting rid of Florida, but only if it follows Texas out of the union. Then, I'll be ready to talk replacements.

mrwild8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrwild8
Better for us upstaters.

Chicago should do the same for the rest of Illinois...

Anaxamenes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Anaxamenes

Yup, I definitely agree. Let them find out how bad it really is when they no longer drain resources from the Northeast and Western States.

narquespamley wrote:I think we should let a few of the states who so strongly want to secede leave. Considering that they receive far more in federal spending than they contribute in taxes (unlike for example California and New York), we'll all be better off.

stella54

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stella54
jdbishop77 wrote:I'm sorry but isn't there 52 states in America.

Count the stars on your flag.

Tucker2930

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tucker2930

It should be 49. Texas should break off from you O RLY?s.

kokeman36

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kokeman36

Let Chicago or for that matter the whole northern half of Illinois can become it's own state.