WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Gunnar Optiks Gaming/Computer Eyewear

You upgrade your crowbar to a super-ultra zap beam teleporter laser. You upgrade your armor from a Cheap Shirt to Full Plate With Fuzzy Trim And Spikes. Why wouldn't you upgrade your eyes IRL? See? You can't answer. Because you know we're right.
Gunnar Optiks Official Site

HenryBob


quality posts: 1 Private Messages HenryBob

These keep coming on as if woot is trying to make me change my mind about changing my mind and not getting them...

My normal alias is University of Pi/UniversityOfPi
(though I created this account before I fully began using that)


The Link of Power

[Sig 8/21/13]

lghtng2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages lghtng2
HenryBob wrote:These keep coming on as if woot is trying to make me change my mind about changing my mind and not getting them...



Reviews are kinda back and forth, I'm giving them a go as I am a gamer and in the IT field. The basic concept is that we forget to blink because we stare at screens all day; so the contour of the glasses helps to retain that moisture in the eye. More or less some cool glasses to wear and remember to take breaks and blink! =P

MichXelle


quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle

Again? Ridiculous already.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

Maestroquark


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Maestroquark
lghtng2 wrote:Reviews are kinda back and forth, I'm giving them a go as I am a gamer and in the IT field. The basic concept is that we forget to blink because we stare at screens all day; so the contour of the glasses helps to retain that moisture in the eye. More or less some cool glasses to wear and remember to take breaks and blink! =P



I've gotten a pair through Woot, and I don't know that I believe the whole moisture thing. However, they definitely help my eyes relax and I can tell when I'm wearing them (and really wish I had brought them into work this morning). I just think it's more due to the tint being easier on your eyes than anything else.

thewebercrew


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thewebercrew

I don't game but stare at a computer all day. I wear them every day at work. Like with driving glasses the mild yellow tint of these help my eyes relax. The very slight magnification is helpful as well. I'm closing in on 50 and just starting to use low powered reading glasses for books. I could see this might be annoying for someone younger...can't really say though.

My only complaint is the nose pads after 9 hours of work...I find myself removing these glasses every chance I get during the day when I'm not looking at the computer.

I really want to get a full bridge style but they have very few and the only one on Woot! today is already sold out.

cleverett


quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett
lghtng2 wrote:Reviews are kinda back and forth, I'm giving them a go as I am a gamer and in the IT field. The basic concept is that we forget to blink because we stare at screens all day; so the contour of the glasses helps to retain that moisture in the eye. More or less some cool glasses to wear and remember to take breaks and blink! =P



I'm sorry, but this is horse crap. We blink just as much when we're looking at monitors as when we're not. (It's not something that you can forget to do, it's involuntary.) If this were true, then why are they tinted yellow? They could be clear and still retain moisture. Also, they'd have to look like swimmer's goggles for this to actually work.

The truth is that yellow lenses filter out blue light, which is the most unfocused light. Blue light makes your eyes tired after they've been bombarded by it for many hours. Here's the secret though...it's not the blue light from your monitor that's causing your eyes to get tired. (If it were, you could just push some of those buttons on the side of your monitor and change the color balance to be less blue.) It's the blue that's coming from the fluorescent bulbs that are over your head all day long at work.

Most people in IT (and R&D, if it's a software company) that have to sit at their desks staring at a monitor for many hours a day eventually unscrew the fluorescent bulbs that are over their desk (because there's almost never a light switch). Poof, problem solved. Until HR comes and complains that you can't do that because "blah blah blah blah blah blah blaaaaaah." So, then you ask HR to have Maintenance install "daylight bulbs" in your fixtures. Those have very little blue light...they are balanced to be more like sunlight. Ah...sweet bliss. If they'll do it, that is, as those bulbs are really expensive.

If you can't do either of these things, then get some yellow-lensed glasses. However, they don't have to be these $40 deals...get yourself a pair of yellow/amber shooting glasses. You should be able to find them at most stores that sell ammunition for around $6 to $8 (this includes Walmart). Your best bet is to get the ones that fit up close to your eyebrows, because you want to block the fluorescent light coming from above. The lighter the tint the better, because you don't need sunglasses...you just need a blue filter.

And that's my summary of 20+ years in IT. Man, I miss the days when we were crammed into a tiny office that actually had a light switch. Everybody that would walk into the office would ask "why are the lights off?" We'd just laugh.

Oh, sweet darkness.

mike6097


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mike6097

[I don't get what these do and I own a pair of computer glasses! But mine are prescription. I generally wear progressive lens bifocals and the reading section is at the bottom for reading a book. These glasses are a single lens set to help my eyes at about 2 feet out. They are fantastic!

VUGear


quality posts: 0 Private Messages VUGear
cleverett wrote:It's the blue that's coming from the fluorescent bulbs that are over your head all day long at work.
[ ... ]
So, then you ask HR to have Maintenance install "daylight bulbs" in your fixtures. Those have very little blue light...they are balanced to be more like sunlight.


Is this true? It seems somewhat counterintuitive. Most generic offices are equipped with 3500-kelvin and 4100K fluorescent bulbs. 3500K is considered "neutral" and 4100K is slightly on the bluish side. Daylight bulbs would be in the 5000K, 6500K and 7000K ranges. Seems like if you wanted to lower the blue content then you would switch to 2700K bulbs, right?

Flexfx


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flexfx
cleverett wrote:I'm sorry, but this is horse crap. We blink just as much when we're looking at monitors as when we're not. (It's not something that you can forget to do, it's involuntary.) If this were true, then why are they tinted yellow? They could be clear and still retain moisture. Also, they'd have to look like swimmer's goggles for this to actually work.

The truth is that yellow lenses filter out blue light, which is the most unfocused light. Blue light makes your eyes tired after they've been bombarded by it for many hours. Here's the secret though...it's not the blue light from your monitor that's causing your eyes to get tired. (If it were, you could just push some of those buttons on the side of your monitor and change the color balance to be less blue.) It's the blue that's coming from the fluorescent bulbs that are over your head all day long at work.

Most people in IT (and R&D, if it's a software company) that have to sit at their desks staring at a monitor for many hours a day eventually unscrew the fluorescent bulbs that are over their desk (because there's almost never a light switch). Poof, problem solved. Until HR comes and complains that you can't do that because "blah blah blah blah blah blah blaaaaaah." So, then you ask HR to have Maintenance install "daylight bulbs" in your fixtures. Those have very little blue light...they are balanced to be more like sunlight. Ah...sweet bliss. If they'll do it, that is, as those bulbs are really expensive.

If you can't do either of these things, then get some yellow-lensed glasses. However, they don't have to be these $40 deals...get yourself a pair of yellow/amber shooting glasses. You should be able to find them at most stores that sell ammunition for around $6 to $8 (this includes Walmart). Your best bet is to get the ones that fit up close to your eyebrows, because you want to block the fluorescent light coming from above. The lighter the tint the better, because you don't need sunglasses...you just need a blue filter.

And that's my summary of 20+ years in IT. Man, I miss the days when we were crammed into a tiny office that actually had a light switch. Everybody that would walk into the office would ask "why are the lights off?" We'd just laugh.

Oh, sweet darkness.



This may be true, but I also use these to game at home in a dark room with the only light source being the TV or monitor. Huge difference in eye strain gaming especially playing sport or FPS games that require constant focus.

Also helps at work with that nasty fluorescent glare and tames down the eye strain from having a desk with multiple monitors.

Well worth the price....get two.

folden94


quality posts: 0 Private Messages folden94
cleverett wrote:
The truth is that yellow lenses filter out blue light, which is the most unfocused light. Blue light makes your eyes tired after they've been bombarded by it for many hours. Here's the secret though...it's not the blue light from your monitor that's causing your eyes to get tired. (If it were, you could just push some of those buttons on the side of your monitor and change the color balance to be less blue.) It's the blue that's coming from the fluorescent bulbs that are over your head all day long at work.



My apologies for disappointing you, but the blue light in LED screens bothers me even more than fluorescent lights, and wtih a laptop, it's not as adjustable. The same goes for mobile devices, which also have LED screens that could stand to be less blue. It may be less of a problem with standard LCD panels, as the LED backlight is more blue. However, I wear my Gunnars every time I use a digital screen, and they always make my day more comfortable, even in the dark or with a plasma television.

Also, Gunnars block out all light outside the visible spectrum, which also helps you focus on the screen better. This is very useful for reading on the computer.

The yellow tint is designed to filter out the blue light to provide more natural color, but Gunnar offers crystalline lenses on their website for designers so they can see the blue that the rest of us don't need. I intend to buy a pair of these for work because I work in a grocery store with hundreds of fluorescent lights.

So to recap, the filtering out of invisible light helps your eyes focus and reduces strain. The tint is useless if you are able to adjust the color on your monitor, but they are available without tint at the company's website.

analeon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages analeon

I use RX glasses, do you have any product to wear on top of them?

syph0r


quality posts: 0 Private Messages syph0r
analeon wrote:I use RX glasses, do you have any product to wear on top of them?



The actual Gunnar site has where you can get them with your RX lenses.

I've got some of these and even with no florescent lights these make a huge difference on eye strain for me.

mnuahs


quality posts: 13 Private Messages mnuahs
cleverett wrote:I'm sorry, but this is horse crap. We blink just as much when we're looking at monitors as when we're not. (It's not something that you can forget to do, it's involuntary.)



That's not true. While the actual blinking is generally involuntary, the rate at which people blink is greatly influenced by the perceived importance of information being received. For example people usually blink around 10 times a minute, but when reading it drops to 3-4 a minute. When playing video games, I would imagine the rate that people blink at drops even lower.

If you're in a room with a ceiling fan, or any amount of airflow the drying rapidly becomes an issue for contact lens wearers.

sumit48307


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sumit48307

Are these zero-power glasses - or we can mention our reading glass Rx power e.g. 2.0 for left eye, 2.25 for right eye when ordering?

aaronhenry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronhenry
sumit48307 wrote:Are these zero-power glasses - or we can mention our reading glass Rx power e.g. 2.0 for left eye, 2.25 for right eye when ordering?



I believe this question was asked last time and these are for the standard, slight magnification. I also asked about crystalline lenses and those will not be available either, per the rep.

bumblebutt


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bumblebutt
VUGear wrote:Is this true? It seems somewhat counterintuitive. Most generic offices are equipped with 3500-kelvin and 4100K fluorescent bulbs. 3500K is considered "neutral" and 4100K is slightly on the bluish side. Daylight bulbs would be in the 5000K, 6500K and 7000K ranges. Seems like if you wanted to lower the blue content then you would switch to 2700K bulbs, right?



Yeah, I don't believe that fluorescent theory for a second either. I'd trust a gamer or avid BD viewer over an IT guys opinions regarding this matter any day. Besides, it's bad to watch any monitor in complete darkness: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/04/060425015643.htm

sumit48307


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sumit48307

Request to Woot staff to please clarify: Are these zero-power glasses - or "powered"? I mean can we mention our reading glass Rx power e.g. 2.0 for left eye, 2.25 for right eye when ordering? The desc should have been clear on this

MichXelle


quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
cleverett wrote:I'm sorry, but this is horse crap. We blink just as much when we're looking at monitors as when we're not. (It's not something that you can forget to do, it's involuntary.) If this were true, then why are they tinted yellow? They could be clear and still retain moisture. Also, they'd have to look like swimmer's goggles for this to actually work.

The truth is that yellow lenses filter out blue light, which is the most unfocused light. Blue light makes your eyes tired after they've been bombarded by it for many hours. Here's the secret though...it's not the blue light from your monitor that's causing your eyes to get tired. (If it were, you could just push some of those buttons on the side of your monitor and change the color balance to be less blue.) It's the blue that's coming from the fluorescent bulbs that are over your head all day long at work.

Most people in IT (and R&D, if it's a software company) that have to sit at their desks staring at a monitor for many hours a day eventually unscrew the fluorescent bulbs that are over their desk (because there's almost never a light switch). Poof, problem solved. Until HR comes and complains that you can't do that because "blah blah blah blah blah blah blaaaaaah." So, then you ask HR to have Maintenance install "daylight bulbs" in your fixtures. Those have very little blue light...they are balanced to be more like sunlight. Ah...sweet bliss. If they'll do it, that is, as those bulbs are really expensive.

If you can't do either of these things, then get some yellow-lensed glasses. However, they don't have to be these $40 deals...get yourself a pair of yellow/amber shooting glasses. You should be able to find them at most stores that sell ammunition for around $6 to $8 (this includes Walmart). Your best bet is to get the ones that fit up close to your eyebrows, because you want to block the fluorescent light coming from above. The lighter the tint the better, because you don't need sunglasses...you just need a blue filter.

And that's my summary of 20+ years in IT. Man, I miss the days when we were crammed into a tiny office that actually had a light switch. Everybody that would walk into the office would ask "why are the lights off?" We'd just laugh.

Oh, sweet darkness.



Thanks for explaining it. These are being sold on here often, too often.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle


quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
Flexfx wrote:This may be true, but I also use these to game at home in a dark room with the only light source being the TV or monitor. Huge difference in eye strain gaming especially playing sport or FPS games that require constant focus.

Also helps at work with that nasty fluorescent glare and tames down the eye strain from having a desk with multiple monitors.

Well worth the price....get two.

No thanks. Unless you want to pay for them.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

vanuary


quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
sumit48307 wrote:Request to Woot staff to please clarify: Are these zero-power glasses - or "powered"? I mean can we mention our reading glass Rx power e.g. 2.0 for left eye, 2.25 for right eye when ordering? The desc should have been clear on this



Hi sumit48307. I'm the manufacturer rep. All of our INDOOR eyewear (Amber and Crystalline tints) have a slight magnification +0.2 D. They do not come in reader prescriptions or clip-ons. We do have a prescription program for those who wear glasses though.

anachostic


quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic

I have three pairs of Gunnars, two are offered in this sale. The E11vens, sold out now, are the best for keeping your eyes from drying out. They fit close to your face and have wide temples.

Today, I got the Emissary. These are beautiful glasses with much better materials than the other models I have. But they do sacrifice the wrap-around benefits of the E11vens and the lenses are very small so you need to move your head more.

My next purchase will probably be the Epoch when it comes around.

gsr187t


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsr187t

Wooters!

Don't make the same mistake i did, i bought a pair last year. I can tell you now I don't even use them, not worth it. A pair of amber color safety glasses does the same thing. Just throwing in my two cents.

johnt007871


quality posts: 8 Private Messages johnt007871

I have a feeling he's onto something witht he flourescents. I used to get pretty bad eye strain head aches, but now I'm in an office those glare-reducing grid things on the lights for CRT monitors. I just realized I haven't been getting those anymore. And to think, I was about to buy some glasses.

aaronhenry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronhenry

Call it psychosomatic but my desperation to relieve the headache and eye strain (I could hardly see past 50 feet after a 10 hour work day after LASIK induced perfect vision) led me to purchase computer glasses.

I have less headaches and my circadian rhythms are even more regulated. I have less pseudo-insomnia after gaming sessions. If you truly don't look away from the screen for half of the day, you may notice the improvement that I did.

No diatribe-- that is what I've experienced as a consumer. Can we hear more from people not arguing THEORY? Do you same people go to the store and beg people not to buy products as well, when you don't even own them?

anachostic


quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic
gsr187t wrote:Wooters!

Don't make the same mistake i did, i bought a pair last year. I can tell you now I don't even use them, not worth it. A pair of amber color safety glasses does the same thing. Just throwing in my two cents.



So, are you saying that you purchased a pair of tinted safety glasses, found they work just as well, and chose to wear those instead of the higher-quality, more stylish Gunnars? Or did you buy the safety glasses and chose to wear neither even though they both had some benefit?

Your argument makes little sense. If they don't work at all, there's no need to compare them to anything. If they work as well as safety glasses, why not continue to wear them?

aerospace


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerospace

Why are the Halogen style called _outdoor_ when the description says they are made for _indoor_ digital viewing?

Gunnar Optiks Halogen Advanced Outdoor Eyewear - Cloud Gold

"Finish with Amber tint lens specifically engineered for digital viewing indoors."

dvdvija


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dvdvija
cleverett wrote:I'm sorry, but this is horse crap. We blink just as much when we're looking at monitors as when we're not. (It's not something that you can forget to do, it's involuntary.) If this were true, then why are they tinted yellow? They could be clear and still retain moisture. Also, they'd have to look like swimmer's goggles for this to actually work.

The truth is that yellow lenses filter out blue light, which is the most unfocused light. Blue light makes your eyes tired after they've been bombarded by it for many hours. Here's the secret though...it's not the blue light from your monitor that's causing your eyes to get tired. (If it were, you could just push some of those buttons on the side of your monitor and change the color balance to be less blue.) It's the blue that's coming from the fluorescent bulbs that are over your head all day long at work.

Most people in IT (and R&D, if it's a software company) that have to sit at their desks staring at a monitor for many hours a day eventually unscrew the fluorescent bulbs that are over their desk (because there's almost never a light switch). Poof, problem solved. Until HR comes and complains that you can't do that because "blah blah blah blah blah blah blaaaaaah." So, then you ask HR to have Maintenance install "daylight bulbs" in your fixtures. Those have very little blue light...they are balanced to be more like sunlight. Ah...sweet bliss. If they'll do it, that is, as those bulbs are really expensive.

If you can't do either of these things, then get some yellow-lensed glasses. However, they don't have to be these $40 deals...get yourself a pair of yellow/amber shooting glasses. You should be able to find them at most stores that sell ammunition for around $6 to $8 (this includes Walmart). Your best bet is to get the ones that fit up close to your eyebrows, because you want to block the fluorescent light coming from above. The lighter the tint the better, because you don't need sunglasses...you just need a blue filter.

And that's my summary of 20+ years in IT. Man, I miss the days when we were crammed into a tiny office that actually had a light switch. Everybody that would walk into the office would ask "why are the lights off?" We'd just laugh.

Oh, sweet darkness.




Thanks for your insight regarding to the yellow tint glasses filtering the blue light from fluorescent bulb. I bought one of these last time. Now I will use it in class because of the fluorescent lights.

meerkat6666


quality posts: 0 Private Messages meerkat6666

These are awesome at reducing eye strain with bright screens or poorly lit rooms. The shift from white to yellow will keep your eyes juicy and wide. I use them in FPS games to spot movement over large areas. The magnification reduces the need to squint and helps me stay focused. I use these for: work, gaming, shooting range, and reading.

IdahoCrystal


quality posts: 2 Private Messages IdahoCrystal

I like them.
I stare at a computer for 8-10 hours every day and then read on my tablet, watch TV or generally stare at other screens in the evenings. My vision is fine. Our office uses horrible LED lights that I keep off as much as possible.
I had my eyes checked when I started getting headaches after turning 40 - The optomitrist suggested "plano" computer glasses which filter certain light and readers in 1.0 to help lessen eye strain.
The Gunnars fit the bill and my eyes no longer burn at the end of the day and I don't get the tension-ish headaches. They're a really good deal here especially when compared to some of those offered at the Dr's office. I've got a pair for the office and for home.

Oh, side note: As an avid shooter, these are NOT like shooting glasses in that actual shooting glasses are made to withstand shrapnel (Better brands are low velocity bullet proof) and are generally much heavier. The yellow lenses for shooting are designed to brighten by removing a lot of blue light whereas Gunnars are much lighter and don't seem as yellow or filter as much blue light.

Timing is everything.