WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

PC Binge

What's the cure for too many computers? MORE COMPUTERS! Notebooks! Laptops! Desktops! They compute and compute and compute again! We think there might even be an abacus in here somewhere but we can't stop to check because COMPUTERS!

testudoaubreii

quality posts: 13 Private Messages testudoaubreii

I was looking at that lovely 11" MacBook Air, and noticed that you can get a better one (e.g., more storage and memory) for $50 more straight from Apple.

Comparison page at Apple.com

Poot.

jlayton42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jlayton42

I really want to pull the trigger on that Alienware PC, anyone out there able to maybe talk me out of/into it?

paintballbob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paintballbob

So Woot only had one?

Alfranquiz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Alfranquiz
jlayton42 wrote:I really want to pull the trigger on that Alienware PC, anyone out there able to maybe talk me out of/into it?

I'm no computer expert but there a lot of comments in the previous sale in Jan.
http://tech.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5302840
Some not thrilled with video card or second generation i7.

alexjl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexjl
jlayton42 wrote:I really want to pull the trigger on that Alienware PC, anyone out there able to maybe talk me out of/into it?

You should have no reason to buy a gaming PC when you have absolutely no idea what you are purchasing.

The CPU is a second gen I7. In reality it really doesn't make much difference if it's 1st gen of 4th gen i7, for most gaming any i7 is good enough. 16gb is more than enough to fulfill any need. After that the computer is nothing but mediocre.

The video card is inadequate in having only 1GB of ram, it also painfully slow.

For the price and Alienware name you would expect at least a mid range video card, not a graphics card from your mom's Dell. You would even expect a SSD at this price range for a $1000 2600k build.

Look elsewhere.

mclovintonite

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mclovintonite

Hate to be "that guy" but the Toshiba laptop says it is "Powered by the latest Intel® 3rd generation Core™ i7-3630QM quad-core processor" and that's kind of false advertising because it is not the latest: 4th generation Haswell chips are available.

bookmonkey786

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bookmonkey786

DONT

Look around at other sites. For 1000 you can find a computer with better everything, especially the graphics card. That card is really pathetic for a 1000 rig.

Edit:
In fact any one of theses would be better

This would be almost perfect except if you need 2 tb of storage. But you can buy 2tb for 100 and plug it in easy.

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

Look at that i7 Acer powerhouse, and look at those MacBook Pros, and tell me that the Apple tax is not still alive and well. That's around 100% more expensive for the fruit logo and their take on a Unix desktop...

zyodei

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zyodei

I love Thinkpads to the extent that I really only buy Thinkpad (Thinkpad ♥ Linux), but the 8GB max kills it for me. I am perfectly happy using my perfectly quick $100 Core2Duo X61s that is more portable and draws less power..its only drawback being it only has 4GB and tops at 8GB. Same max and default as this laptop that is five years newer

mechanicsc

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mechanicsc
zyodei wrote:I love Thinkpads to the extent that I really only buy Thinkpad (Thinkpad ♥ Linux), but the 8GB max kills it for me. I am perfectly happy using my perfectly quick $100 Core2Duo X61s that is more portable and draws less power..its only drawback being it only has 4GB and tops at 8GB. Same max and default as this laptop that is five years newer

Many 2-slot Thinkpads can support 16 GB of RAM, even though the specs say "max 8 GB".

pmperry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pmperry
testudoaubreii wrote:I was looking at that lovely 11" MacBook Air, and noticed that you can get a better one (e.g., more storage and memory) for $50 more straight from Apple.

Poot.

Yeah that air is two generations old and not very good in terms of video.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
zyodei wrote:I love Thinkpads to the extent that I really only buy Thinkpad (Thinkpad ♥ Linux), but the 8GB max kills it for me. I am perfectly happy using my perfectly quick $100 Core2Duo X61s that is more portable and draws less power..its only drawback being it only has 4GB and tops at 8GB. Same max and default as this laptop that is five years newer

I dispise thinkpads and lenovo in general. I had one a few years ago that had to have almost every major part replaced under warranty. The POS was falling apart from day 1 and Lenovo wouldn't replace it. I spent almost $2k on that computer and the customer service was terrible.

adamclemence

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adamclemence

That Toshiba S855-S5165 is looking at me funny. Real funny. It's telling me to buy it. Any computer-savvy people out there to give me the cons? Yea, it's reconditioned but it's a Toshiba. It has many rams.

bmxkid618

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmxkid618
adamclemence wrote:That Toshiba S855-S5165 is looking at me funny. Real funny. It's telling me to buy it. Any computer-savvy people out there to give me the cons? Yea, it's reconditioned but it's a Toshiba. It has many rams.

Intel HD 4000, 'nuf said xD. Whats the point of all dem rams and cores if u don't have parts that can take advantage of it.

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland
bookmonkey786 wrote:DONT

Look around at other sites. For 1000 you can find a computer with better everything, especially the graphics card. That card is really pathetic for a 1000 rig.

Edit:

This would be almost perfect except if you need 2 tb of storage. But you can buy 2tb for 100 and plug it in easy.

*cosign*

For a grand you could get a much better deal. Hell, if you want I can spec it out on NewEgg, send you a "how to" video of putting together a computer, and you can enjoy...

I build computers as a hobby so I like that sort of thing. ;)

jon98gn

quality posts: 26 Private Messages jon98gn

If you are that determined to get an Alienware for the Look factor, I would probably shop the Dell Outlet and watch for a special coupon. I picked up an Alienware X51 scratch and dent (more like dust marks) for $450ish after tax + shipping. It had a third generation i5, blu-ray player, 8 GB RAM, nVidia GT 660, 1 TB harddrive. Not an i7 so not sure how it compares exactly.

I also had an odd go around which I got a refurbished one for $540ish tax + shipping which was the same version above but it had the alienware tactx keyboard and only a 500 GB harddrive. This one actually failed on me and I was able to argue a new exchange model which took 3 months to get to me, due to the Haswell refresh so I ended up with an i5 Haswell/1 TB harddrive/nVidia GT 670 for my troubles. Not sure if it was worth my troubles but the machine retails for over $1k and I paid 50% for it.

\

Slare

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Slare

I have yet to see a Woot PC or laptop deal that is really all that great.

The % off looks really good at times, but these are computers we are talking about here, and they are generally refurbished HP's (!) or older models.

Might be some "good" deals if you do most of your computer and laptop shopping at the mall or Best Buy. But they are not very good deals if you are willing to do a little research at any of the major PC deal sites out there.

novaff09

quality posts: 0 Private Messages novaff09

What's the difference between this MacBook Air and the one Woot was selling here for $759.99 a few months ago: http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5295457

I don't see any.

newspimp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages newspimp
zyodei wrote:Look at that i7 Acer powerhouse, and look at those MacBook Pros, and tell me that the Apple tax is not still alive and well. That's around 100% more expensive for the fruit logo and their take on a Unix desktop...

Let's do a comparison.
That Acer (http://www.woot.com/offers/acer-aspire-s3-13-3-core-i7-ultrabook-1)
versus a Macbook Air 13" (the most comparable computer to an Ultrabook)

Acer: $670
Apple: $1249 (uprated the processor)
Winner: Acer on cost

Acer: Core i7 3517U (1.9GHz/3.0GHz)
Apple: Core i7 4650U (1.7GHz/3.3GHz)
Winner: Apple; newer generation processor, better power consumption

Acer: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
Apple: 4GB LPDDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz
Winner: Tie, but I'd give the nod to Apple on LP DDR ram for a laptop

Acer: 4GB Maximum Memory
Apple: 8GB Maximum Memory
Winner: Tie; they're both limited to what you order with them (at least according to Acer), but the Apple can be ordered with 8GB at an additional $100 over the cost above

Acer: 128GB SATA/300 SSD (300Mb/sec)
Apple: 128GB PCIe SSD (800MB/sec)
Winner: Apple, both are upgradable but the Apple is a bit more aftermarket, but absolutely dominates in performance

Acer: 13.3" Screen, LED, 1366x768
Apple: 13.3" Screen, LED, 1440x900
Winner: Apple. Bettern resolution on a same size screen

Acer: Intel HD4000 Graphics
Apple: Intel HD5000 Graphics
Winner: Apple

Acer: No Optical Drive, No Ethernet Port
Apple: No Optical Drive, No Ethernet Port
Winner: Tied. They both lose, IMHO. Though, the Acer would rely on a USB to Ethernet adapter, which can't be truly gigabit throughput rated, but the MBA uses a Thunderbolt to Ethernet, which can be as TB is essentially an esternal PCIe port.

Acer: Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n
Apple: Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Winner: Apple. AC wifi is the next thing coming.

Acer: Bluetooth 4.0 + HS
Apple: Bluetooth 4.0 + HS + LP
Winner: Tie

Acer: SD+MMC card reader
Apple: SDXC card reader
Winner: Apple. The SDXC card slot does everything the Acer's does and then some.

Acer: 3 Cell LiPo battery, 6.5Hr claimed runtime
Apple: Multi-cell LiPo battery, 12Hr claimed runtime
Winner: Apple by a LONG shot

Acer: HDMI Out
Apple: Thunderbolt out
Winner: Draw to me; The Apple does require an adapter, but can do higher resolutions more reliably with proper adapters than HDMI. HDMI is easier to hookup to a TV though. Either will need an adapter for most DVI or VGA monitors.

Acer: 12.7" x 0.7" x 8.6"
Apple: 12.8" x 0.68" x 8.94"
Winner: Tie. Mostly the same. Height/depth slightly less on Acer, Apple slightly thinner

Acer: 2.95lb
Apple: 2.96lb
Winner: Tie really. If you care about 0.01lb then you have other issues.

Acer: Windows 7 Home Premium
Apple: OSX
Winner: Tie if you like Windows. Apple if you like Unix. Acer if you like Linux, assuming it's hardware is Linux compatible.

So, a "tax" on a newer generation of processor, newer generation of RAM, newer graphics, better display, double the battery, a more future-proof WiFi and a SSD technology that blows SATA out of the water; I'd say it's worth the extra $579. Then again, we bought my girlfriend hers over the weekend with Best Buy's $200 off for back to school, making that only $379 more for a computer that will last much longer.

I'm all about a good inexpensive laptop (I get almost as much use out of my Chromebook running Arch as I do my 2008 17" MBP) but when objectively looked at, you're not paying more for the same hardware. You're paying more for better hardware usually. Are there better deals, of course. But the Macs I've had have lasted much longer in use than the Dells and Lenovos I've had. Only my Asus laptop has held us even close to the same as my Macs.

LAugustine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LAugustine
Slare wrote:I have yet to see a Woot PC or laptop deal that is really all that great.

The % off looks really good at times, but these are computers we are talking about here, and they are generally refurbished HP's (!) or older models.

Might be some "good" deals if you do most of your computer and laptop shopping at the mall or Best Buy. But they are not very good deals if you are willing to do a little research at any of the major PC deal sites out there.

What are the major PC deal sites out there?

MosquitoControl

quality posts: 19 Private Messages MosquitoControl
bookmonkey786 wrote:DONT

Edit:

Not to also be "that guy," but iBuyPower? Man, they're great if you like endless quality issues.

To really be "that guy," you should really build if you're going for raw power under $1000. Otherwise you get something that someone skimped on. There are really no deals for raw power at that price range. You can get deals for less-than-raw power, but anything even remotely powerful and under $1000 will almost definitely have quality issues. See: CyberPC, iBuyPower, etc. I get that not everyone wants to build their own, but if you don't you should be willing to take somewhat lesser power for better build quality. Hell, it isn't like anything is really taxing a PC these days.

jon98gn

quality posts: 26 Private Messages jon98gn
LAugustine wrote:What are the major PC deal sites out there?

you can try slickdeals.net

\

iamsteve0009

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iamsteve0009

Man, some of these "deals" are laughable... the macbook air in particular.

SunnyLea0

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SunnyLea0

newegg? meritline? tigerdirect?

In any case, sometimes I do think woot deals are worth it.

ychia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ychia
testudoaubreii wrote:I was looking at that lovely 11" MacBook Air, and noticed that you can get a better one (e.g., more storage and memory) for $50 more straight from Apple.

Poot.

Yeah, that's not even the previous generation MBA- it's two generations back. Almost the price of the newest one which has 2x memory, 2x RAM, 2x battery life... what are they thinking?

Rustyh3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Rustyh3
newspimp wrote:Let's do a comparison.
That Acer (http://www.woot.com/offers/acer-aspire-s3-13-3-core-i7-ultrabook-1)
versus a Macbook Air 13" (the most comparable computer to an Ultrabook)

Acer: $670
Apple: $1249 (uprated the processor)
Winner: Acer on cost

Acer: Core i7 3517U (1.9GHz/3.0GHz)
Apple: Core i7 4650U (1.7GHz/3.3GHz)
Winner: Apple; newer generation processor, better power consumption

Acer: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM
Apple: 4GB LPDDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz
Winner: Tie, but I'd give the nod to Apple on LP DDR ram for a laptop

Acer: 4GB Maximum Memory
Apple: 8GB Maximum Memory
Winner: Tie; they're both limited to what you order with them (at least according to Acer), but the Apple can be ordered with 8GB at an additional $100 over the cost above

Acer: 128GB SATA/300 SSD (300Mb/sec)
Apple: 128GB PCIe SSD (800MB/sec)
Winner: Apple, both are upgradable but the Apple is a bit more aftermarket, but absolutely dominates in performance

Acer: 13.3" Screen, LED, 1366x768
Apple: 13.3" Screen, LED, 1440x900
Winner: Apple. Bettern resolution on a same size screen

Acer: Intel HD4000 Graphics
Apple: Intel HD5000 Graphics
Winner: Apple

Acer: No Optical Drive, No Ethernet Port
Apple: No Optical Drive, No Ethernet Port
Winner: Tied. They both lose, IMHO. Though, the Acer would rely on a USB to Ethernet adapter, which can't be truly gigabit throughput rated, but the MBA uses a Thunderbolt to Ethernet, which can be as TB is essentially an esternal PCIe port.

Acer: Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n
Apple: Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Winner: Apple. AC wifi is the next thing coming.

Acer: Bluetooth 4.0 + HS
Apple: Bluetooth 4.0 + HS + LP
Winner: Tie

Acer: SD+MMC card reader
Apple: SDXC card reader
Winner: Apple. The SDXC card slot does everything the Acer's does and then some.

Acer: 3 Cell LiPo battery, 6.5Hr claimed runtime
Apple: Multi-cell LiPo battery, 12Hr claimed runtime
Winner: Apple by a LONG shot

Acer: HDMI Out
Apple: Thunderbolt out
Winner: Draw to me; The Apple does require an adapter, but can do higher resolutions more reliably with proper adapters than HDMI. HDMI is easier to hookup to a TV though. Either will need an adapter for most DVI or VGA monitors.

Acer: 12.7" x 0.7" x 8.6"
Apple: 12.8" x 0.68" x 8.94"
Winner: Tie. Mostly the same. Height/depth slightly less on Acer, Apple slightly thinner

Acer: 2.95lb
Apple: 2.96lb
Winner: Tie really. If you care about 0.01lb then you have other issues.

Acer: Windows 7 Home Premium
Apple: OSX
Winner: Tie if you like Windows. Apple if you like Unix. Acer if you like Linux, assuming it's hardware is Linux compatible.

So, a "tax" on a newer generation of processor, newer generation of RAM, newer graphics, better display, double the battery, a more future-proof WiFi and a SSD technology that blows SATA out of the water; I'd say it's worth the extra $579. Then again, we bought my girlfriend hers over the weekend with Best Buy's $200 off for back to school, making that only $379 more for a computer that will last much longer.

I'm all about a good inexpensive laptop (I get almost as much use out of my Chromebook running Arch as I do my 2008 17" MBP) but when objectively looked at, you're not paying more for the same hardware. You're paying more for better hardware usually. Are there better deals, of course. But the Macs I've had have lasted much longer in use than the Dells and Lenovos I've had. Only my Asus laptop has held us even close to the same as my Macs.

You have a lot of free time, huh.
Or are really gifted.

Thanks for the comp.

the7654

quality posts: 0 Private Messages the7654
nmchapma wrote:I dispise thinkpads and lenovo in general. I had one a few years ago that had to have almost every major part replaced under warranty. The POS was falling apart from day 1 and Lenovo wouldn't replace it. I spent almost $2k on that computer and the customer service was terrible.

I have numerous IBM Thinkpads that are still in use and haven't had issues. I also have newer Lenovos without issues. I have had IBMs and Lenovos with problems but I have always found them to be more reliable than other the brands of computers.