tomm2thumbs

quality posts: 27 Private Messages tomm2thumbs
indytycoon wrote:Coming soon: philips.woot.com

heh heh heh

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac
indytycoon wrote:Coming soon: philips.woot.com

Bwahahahahahaaaaa!....Right?

As blu ray players go, this is not bad at all for $40. Just don't buy it if you are doing so for the "smart" features. It does not do a very good job with playing online content.

BuffBillsFan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages BuffBillsFan

I've purchased 3 refurbished/factory reconditioned Blu-ray players. Although none were Phillips, I've had some pretty good luck with them.

Each cost less than half what a similar new BR player would cost. Two of the three play very, very well. One did have some trouble playing some BR disks that the others would play, and that same player sometimes puts a purple tint on the leftmost third of the screen - so let's say I am batting .666 (I'd say .667, but I have too much fun with folks that get freaked out by seeing three sixes in a row).

Take your chances on this one. If you want to be conservative, jump on the SquareTrade warranty.

mitchloft

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mitchloft

I have one of these. It works OK - BUT! - no HULU+ on this one. Netflix yes, Hulu no.

Those who are always quoting others have nothing to say themselves - Mitch Loftus

ayerscolleen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ayerscolleen

Went to check which Apps it'll use, but it doesn't look like you can stream the Amazon video to it. Was going to pick it up until I saw that.

crowbar08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crowbar08

Stupid question...

This comes with a power cable, right?!

dennisbrandl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dennisbrandl

Bought one last time offered. Works fine for Netflix and blu-ray, but the remote died, so I needed a replacement.

Bailies

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Bailies
crowbar08 wrote:Stupid question...

If it doesn't say it's in the box, don't assume it's in the box. Buying at Costco is the only place I know of for certain they include the cable. I'm sure there are others.

darrylk

quality posts: 4 Private Messages darrylk
Bailies wrote:If it doesn't say it's in the box, don't assume it's in the box. Buying at Costco is the only place I know of for certain they include the cable. I'm sure there are others.

What? Everyone includes a power cable. An HDMI cable, on the other hand, is a completely different story.

indytycoon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages indytycoon
crowbar08 wrote:Stupid question...

I'm sure it does, what overly attached girlfriendic company wouldn't include the power cable?

indytycoon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages indytycoon
indytycoon wrote:I'm sure it does, what overly attached girlfriendic company wouldn't include the power cable?

Apparently, woot doesn't like the word m.o.r.o.n.

bshenk15

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bshenk15

In for 1....you can't get Blu-Ray players with Wi-Fi for $40. I've had good success with factory refurbs so figured I'd take a shot here.

biggoron

quality posts: 11 Private Messages biggoron

really tempted since just yesterday I was looking at bluray players with wifi. hmmmm

Quality post? Me??

lakatamia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lakatamia

Next Woot, a Phillips screwdriver to fix the Phillips TV and DVD player?

Tom84

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Tom84
indytycoon wrote:I'm sure it does, what overly attached girlfriendic company wouldn't include the power cable?

I was looking at refurbished ASUS routers on Newegg and a lot of the reviews say "didn't include power cable!", and apparently they'd contacted the company and it was an "accessory", even though the device won't function without it. I can totally believe that this might not come with a power cable, so it's (sadly) a valid question.

lotusstp

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lotusstp

Great lil' player... power cable attached, no HDMI & quixotically, no AAA batteries. Update firmware ASAP... there's no Hulu+ or Amazon, but Netflix works well. YouTube interface wonky but what the heck! It's only $40!

Jaxidian

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Jaxidian

I agree with most comments here already.

1) Update the firmware ASAP! Otherwise, expect constant freezes that requires you to unplug the power cord from the wall.
2) Remote control really sucks unless you're within 3 feet from the unit. Do yourself a favor and plan on replacing it with some kind of universal remote!
3) Sometimes, the various apps get a bit laggy. Rebooting the machine helps. It's usually fine, though.
4) Aside from the above, it's a great box for the price! I'd never pay full price for this thing knowing what I know, but I'm happy at $40!