zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

lichme

quality posts: 3016 Private Messages lichme

Item: Samsung 11.6" 64GB Slate Tablet
Price: $379.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
7/26/2013 - $379.99 - 8 comment(s)
6/14/2013 - $399.99 - 68 comment(s)

8/12/2013 - $379.99 (Woot Plus)
6/18/2013 - $400.00 (Woot Plus)

muhnute

quality posts: 0 Private Messages muhnute

Will this work with my Chemistry Cat? At least it is a refurb! I can haz?!!

bjfranck

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bjfranck

Seems like a solid deal.. so tempted but there has to be a reason this is so cheap.

PhreakMac

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PhreakMac
bjfranck wrote:Seems like a solid deal.. so tempted but there has to be a reason this is so cheap.

Yep - Windows RT

suzzysnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suzzysnet

I don't see anything about a wireless connection? What is Windows RT?

100 woots and counting...

bjfranck

PhreakMac wrote:Yep - Windows RT

Pretty sure its not RT. If you compare to a Surface Pro its a steal. I think...

suzzysnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suzzysnet

derrr answered my own question about wireless.

100 woots and counting...

sakanagai

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sakanagai

This runs full Windows 8, not RT. The issue is the Atom Z2760 powering it. It's a slow processor, but the trade-off is the lower price and longer battery life compared to Core i5/i7 tablets.

scork

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scork

Nope, it's full Windows 8.

sakanagai

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sakanagai
bjfranck wrote:Pretty sure its not RT. If you compare to a Surface Pro its a steal. I think...

Correct. RT is solely for ARM tablets. This runs an Intel Atom Z2760, so it gets Windows 8 (legacy support and whatnot). That said, it isn't nearly up to the level of something like the Surface Pro. The Core i5-3317U in the Pro is significantly (noticeably) faster in every respect compared to the Atom in this Samsung slate. It also has a higher resolution screen and an actual SSD (rather than eMMC). The Surface Pro feels like an Ultrabook; the Samsung ATIV 500 slateis more like a netbook.

mhodges

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mhodges

Tempting for the casual user, but the Atom processor would probably be a deal killer for most folks here. If it included the dock I'd probably pick one up for casual home use to replace my Android tablet.

As an aside, I've been living with a Surface Pro/Targus docking station (dual monitors+Surface Pro monitor/mouse/keyboard/phone dock/network) as my "work laptop" for a couple of weeks now. It works as well as the i5 Dell laptop it replaced.

ravishah2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ravishah2
sakanagai wrote:Correct. RT is solely for ARM tablets. This runs an Intel Atom Z2760, so it gets Windows 8 (legacy support and whatnot). That said, it isn't nearly up to the level of something like the Surface Pro. The Core i5-3317U in the Pro is significantly (noticeably) faster in every respect compared to the Atom in this Samsung slate. It also has a higher resolution screen and an actual SSD (rather than eMMC). The Surface Pro feels like an Ultrabook; the Samsung ATIV 500 slateis more like a netbook.

Amazon sold it for $269 or $249 while back. Awesome price. YOu can buy keyboard, and it makes decent netbook. I am holding out for upcoming new atom chipset from intel with more than 2Gig memory, and much much more with hell of a battery life.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

/lurk

What'd I miss?

lroller

quality posts: 15 Private Messages lroller

Just bought this a couple of weeks ago. It's Win8, which people have a love/hate relationship with. However, my understanding is that Microsoft is preparing a new interface that will make it more Win7 like if you wish to change the interface. I like the fact you can input using the included stylus. It also has an Intel Atom Processor designed specifically for tabs. Compared to a full pc/laptop it can be a little slow. However, it a nice package that does just about everything a laptop can. You can also buy a docking keyboard. I suspect these might be customer returns. When they were first released, there was an issue with the screen dimming quickly. I understand this was an intentional design to save battery power. They have since released a new bios which you are encouraged to download and install. I have no problem with mine. Mine was "new" in open box. The last Microsoft updates were Dec 2012. I suspect someone didn't like the dimming feature and either didn't want to wait for the release of the update or didn't know about it.

zollars23

quality posts: 15 Private Messages zollars23

MS Surface Pro specs for comparison:

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/surface-with-windows-8-pro/specifications

(V) (;,,;) (V) <---Zoidberg

{img]https://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/712b9375-5487-4897-baf4-2212baf8dbca.png[/img]

bjfranck

mhodges wrote:Tempting for the casual user, but the Atom processor would probably be a deal killer for most folks here. If it included the dock I'd probably pick one up for casual home use to replace my Android tablet.

As an aside, I've been living with a Surface Pro/Targus docking station (dual monitors+Surface Pro monitor/mouse/keyboard/phone dock/network) as my "work laptop" for a couple of weeks now. It works as well as the i5 Dell laptop it replaced.

Would this work as good as a Surface Pro?

nickstewartroc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickstewartroc

Bought one, been looking for a nice Tablet with an actual Stylus for a while for school and drawing, this should work perfect! Pretty cheap too!

You know what sucks? Vacuums

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
Moueska wrote:/lurk

What'd I miss?

Me!

You did miss me, right?

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

Too bad I don't know tablets well enough to know about this.

I got a Motorola Xoom on here a couple years ago but it was burgliarized before I ever opened it.

brianmi40

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brianmi40

Nope: not windows RT, I own one. I also have an iPad (on my 3rd), and have 3 Android tablets (OK, I share them with the family...). I wanted the larger screen and liked the fact that I could install pretty much any Windows software on it. It's pretty snappy and although the Win 8 interface isn't perfect, it does help on a tablet, cuz, yup, you guessed it, I owned a Windows XP tablet... there, I said it...

Would buy again, espec. at this price! Pen was nice bonus.

Mr. Tablet Guy

willp2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willp2

I've had this with they keyboard dock since they came out late last year. This is definitely not the same netbook ATOM we've all grown to hate over time. While it's not fast, it's really very usable for basic stuff.

The metro interface in particular is quite snappy and touch is smooth and crisp.

It's been surprisingly versatile with USB ports and HDMI out.

As a general comment about any Windows 8 device, you really should have a keyboard if you are going to use the desktop a lot. The desktop really blows IMO without one.

Also of note is that Chrome is terrible with touch so plan on using IE if you want the best experience.

I should add that I am using it with the Windows 8.1 preview now and a lot of the quirks that were annoying before seemed to have settled down.

budrose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages budrose

Is this upgradeable to xp?

nickstewartroc

budrose wrote:Is this upgradeable to xp?

Nope. Anything that could was sold~ 13 years ago

mhodges

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mhodges
bjfranck wrote:Would this work as good as a Surface Pro?

For me, no, its going to be slower. If all you do is email/websurfing/standard tablet type stuff, probably. I don't know enough to comment on how it works as a "on the desk" replacement.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

This is full Windows 8. My son has one and they're actually really cool as a drawing tablet. Because it's full Windows, you can install Photoshop, Illustrator or your drawing tool of choice. Install the Wacom drivers and you have a great drawing tablet.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

willp2

mhodges wrote:For me, no, its going to be slower. If all you do is email/websurfing/standard tablet type stuff, probably. I don't know enough to comment on how it works as a "on the desk" replacement.

Agreed.

This machine does have excellent battery life however. I routinely get over 10 hours on the battery, where the Surface Pro is I think around half of that.

darktide00

quality posts: 5 Private Messages darktide00

Wanted 3 for my company but only allowed 1? :-( bummer.....

I told you not to bother me while I'm cleaning my Room!

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
Gatzby wrote:Me!

You did miss me, right?

^_^ Your tent-building skillz totes exceed mine, bee-tee-dubz.

nickstewartroc

ThunderThighs wrote:This is full Windows 8. My son has one and they're actually really cool as a drawing tablet. Because it's full Windows, you can install Photoshop, Illustrator or your drawing tool of choice. Install the Wacom drivers and you have a great drawing tablet.

Do you have a link or guide or anything on the Wacom drivers? I have not heard of this before (I've heard of Wacom, used to have a drawing tablet)

Thanks!

allibear612

quality posts: 2 Private Messages allibear612

I have this, and I love it.
It does run slightly slow - mostly in that graphics heavy stuff (some flashier casual games) sometimes lags. For the most part, though, totally performs adequately. The SSD helps keep it running pretty fast even though the processor is a bit under powered.

I've run some casual games on this, including some stuff that isn't technically Win8 compatible (running legacy on the desktop - because YES THIS IS FULL WINDOWS - NOT RT). I use office often, mostly only Word and Excel, and both perform okay on this machine.

I like to use the pen occasionally, it's a fun toy. Usually I'm just using the touchscreen, though.

I'd also like to note that I paid twice this price (although for a new unit and it included the keyboard). The keyboard accessory is a must have, IMHO. Allows you to convert this to a full-fledged laptop - can even sit on your lap - unlike most other tablets with a keyboard.

The reason it's so cheap is the model is likely being discontinued due to being under powered. Samsung has since come out with the same type of products but with more powerful processors.

chillinzx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chillinzx

Still cheaper on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-ATIV-Smart-Tablet-PC-XE500T1C-A04US-11-6-Z2760-1-8GHz-2GB-64GB-eMMC-/181201503613?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item2a3073857d#ht_4012wt_1093

ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

So tempted. Love my Galaxy Note 10.1 but a Windows tablet would round out my other Windows devices. UGH! What to do???

ILGal

How would I go about installing Office on this thing (I have Office 2010 and 2013, so could put 2010 on this thing).

bjfranck

Dear Woot: I would like to request a 50% off coupon to purchase this device. Thank You

Publikwerks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Publikwerks

Now, if I buy this, will the NSA automatically connect up, or do I need to open a port on my firewall for them?

http://investmentwatchblog.com/leaked-german-government-warns-key-entities-not-to-use-windows-8-links-the-nsa/

willp2

ILGal wrote:How would I go about installing Office on this thing (I have Office 2010 and 2013, so could put 2010 on this thing).

You can install anything you want on it. I'm running 2013 Pro Plus on mine. 2010 will work fine as well.

bjfranck

ILGal wrote:How would I go about installing Office on this thing (I have Office 2010 and 2013, so could put 2010 on this thing).

You insert the CD Rom.... Just Kidding. Not really sure....

ILGal

willp2 wrote:You can install anything you want on it. I'm running 2013 Pro Plus on mine. 2010 will work fine as well.

Yes, but how, literally, do you do the install? Will a USB DVD player connect, for my discs?

willp2

ILGal wrote:Yes, but how, literally, do you do the install? Will a USB DVD player connect, for my discs?

Sorry, yes an external DVD works on mine just fine. Or copy the files to a flash drive or external hard drive or install over the network from another computer.