quality posts: 2663 Private Messages lichme

Item: Acer V5 UltraThin 15" Touchscreen Laptop
Price: $449.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

kangoolra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kangoolra

2.5 stars over at Amazon with 3 reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-V5-571P-6888-15-6-Inch-Touchscreen/dp/B00AVYPOEW

CAisBurning

quality posts: 2 Private Messages CAisBurning

Now with genuine Microsoft Windows 8, with permanent NSA backdoor that can't be disabled.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3124 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Some additional info can be found over at acer.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3124 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Some additional info and a video can be found over at walmart.com

wangowezz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wangowezz

The trackpad is pretty meh. At least theres a touchscreen on this one.

AudioFileZ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages AudioFileZ

Can the HD be changed out on this model?

jejones3141

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jejones3141
CAisBurning wrote:Now with genuine Microsoft Windows 8, with permanent NSA backdoor that can't be disabled.

Since it doesn't use an ARM, MS doesn't insist on total lockdown via UEFI secure boot, so you can fix that. Lots of info at http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2027947.html

earthsunmoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages earthsunmoon

It does not say in specifications etc., but is the screen reversable to use as a tablet only at times? I'd never buy a touch screen that cannot swivel and do this. Many computers have this feature, so I wonder if this one does.

stormn1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages stormn1
earthsunmoon wrote:It does not say in specifications etc., but is the screen reversable to use as a tablet only at times? I'd never buy a touch screen that cannot swivel and do this. Many computers have this feature, so I wonder if this one does.

No.

stormn1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages stormn1

Actually bought this from the mothership to replace a laptop that had crapped out a few months ago. Windows 8 takes a little getting used to but the touchscreen definitely helps with that. Slim design and fairly light. Hard to find a touchscreen and a DVD player at this price point. Not a fan of the trackpad but a wireless mouse for $15 solves that pretty easily. For most basic computing tasks this fits the bill.

ericshmerick

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ericshmerick

1366x768 on a 15" screen needs to stop being a thing.

djmj99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages djmj99
ericshmerick wrote:1366x768 on a 15" screen needs to stop being a thing.

People complaining about every detail not fitting their fussy rump, needs to stop being a thing.

th3madhatter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages th3madhatter
djmj99 wrote:People complaining about every detail not fitting their fussy rump, needs to stop being a thing.

I'm going to have to agree with ericshmerick. If 1080p is standard on top of the line phones I'd hope that a mid-range laptop with 2-3 times the screen diagonal would me able to atleast hit 1600x900. 1366x768 is only really usable 13 inch or under... on a good day.

Screen resolution is the first spec I look at these days. Doesn't matter what else it can do if you are scrolling around all the time or can't multi task window wise.

If you are getting a computer and expect to get any productivity out of it then this just won't due. It's a serious issue. It's probably fine for the basics though... but if that is all your are doing there are a lot cheaper options.

mckinnej

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mckinnej

You're spot on there. I bought this same laptop a few weeks ago at a warehouse store. (Mine has the AMD processor, 8GB RAM, and 1TB HD.) It was awesome up until I noticed I had to constantly scroll up and down to see an entire screen. A little research and I discovered that most Win8 laptops are crippled with this 1366x768 junk. It's okay if you're in Metro, but if you're using the desktop (like everyone I know), it isn't enough. 1080 should be the minimum. Heck, my 10" tablet has that much, why not a 15" laptop? I'm taking mine back to the store today and I'm buying something with a real screen.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

@ericshmerick/th3madhatter/mckinnej, your observations, while valid and true, won't change the industry via the woot forum. (Just like Windows 8 isn't going away via the woot forum.)

A more helpful response might be to illustrate what an Intel i3 CPU/touch screen/less than 1 inch thick laptop would cost with 1080p resolution.

This laptop is decently priced, especially since it is new, not refurbed.

jimoyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimoyer

Does anyone know how far the screen opens? 180 degrees?

msideris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msideris

Is this hard drive SSD or HDD?

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
earthsunmoon wrote:It does not say in specifications etc., but is the screen reversable to use as a tablet only at times? I'd never buy a touch screen that cannot swivel and do this. Many computers have this feature, so I wonder if this one does.

@earthsunmoon, that's a very significant feature - you'd see it if it were included.

And you're not likely to find it on a less expensive laptop like this, even less likely to find it on a 15 inch laptop.

earthsunmoon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages earthsunmoon
bluemaple wrote:@earthsunmoon, that's a very significant feature - you'd see it if it were included.

And you're not likely to find it on a less expensive laptop like this, even less likely to find it on a 15 inch laptop.

I know you are right on this. I'm in no hurry to buy a win 8 laptop anyway. However in a world becoming more and more touch screen-centric I think it's just a matter of time before all touch screens on laptops have the 180 degree swivel feature. It just a simple hinge alteration they would all need to make in time and should not add too much to the cost in time.

charwoman

quality posts: 8 Private Messages charwoman

Kind of wish I needed to replace my laptop right now. Have had a couple of Acers and found them very dependable with a minimum of proprietary Stuff installed. This looks like a good deal, and I've always wanted a backlit keyboard.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

msideris wrote:Is this hard drive SSD or HDD?

It has a Hard Disk Drive.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Davidm122

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Davidm122
mckinnej wrote:You're spot on there. I bought this same laptop a few weeks ago at a warehouse store. (Mine has the AMD processor, 8GB RAM, and 1TB HD.) It was awesome up until I noticed I had to constantly scroll up and down to see an entire screen. A little research and I discovered that most Win8 laptops are crippled with this 1366x768 junk. It's okay if you're in Metro, but if you're using the desktop (like everyone I know), it isn't enough. 1080 should be the minimum. Heck, my 10" tablet has that much, why not a 15" laptop? I'm taking mine back to the store today and I'm buying something with a real screen.

1366x768 might be low in terms of vertical screen real estate, but it could actually be better for some people than having 1080p on the same size screen. Many applications, particularly older ones, are only designed to work with a fixed font size, and on a 15 inch, 1080p monitor, their text may appear uncomfortably small for many. A 10" tablet at that resolution may be less likely to have an issue with that, since its interfaces are generally designed to be more scalable.

There's also the potential issue of performance. A 1920x1080 screen has about twice as many pixels as a 1366x768 screen, and rendering those additional pixels on lower-end hardware is likely to result in reduced performance. This would be especially evident with games running at the screen's native resolution on the laptop's integrated graphics, but also could result in less smooth scrolling at more demanding websites, for example. To maintain the same performance on a higher resolution screen, you'll also need somewhat higher powered hardware to back it up, and as a result, the cost of the laptop would increase more.

Of course, this vertical resolution issue is more a problem due the industry's move to 16:9 widescreen formats than anything. If notebooks like this had a 15" 4:3 aspect ratio screen with a comparable resolution of 1280x960, there would be a lot less wasted space when browsing the web and doing other common desktop tasks.

fixitnate

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fixitnate

I've been using an Acer Win8 touchscreen tablet (not this one) and I'm about to throw it. The Wi-Fi keeps dropping out for no apparent reason. I've searched Google for the same issue to no avail... at least no fixes that work for others work for me. Home Wi-Fi, random switching to "Limited Access" on the connection or just a sudden stop in streaming with no other indication, must disconnect and reconnect to regain. Rarely can get through an entire Netflix movie or YouTube session without it cutting out multiple times. When it kicks out, I can use the wi-fi on my phone just fine connected to the same access point. Not sure if it's a Win8 thing or an Acer thing, but it's a greatly annoying thing. Win7 laptops on the same access point work flawlessly under the same circumstances.

Davidm122

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Davidm122
fixitnate wrote:I've been using an Acer Win8 touchscreen tablet (not this one) and I'm about to throw it.

Throwing it probably won't improve your Wi-Fi connection, though it's possible, if there were a loose wire or something. :P

It might be worth trying a USB Wi-Fi adapter with it though. There are some with reasonably good user reviews that can be found for around $10-$15 online. Some are even available in a "nano" form factor so as to avoid having a large thumb-drive shaped thing sticking out of your laptop. Getting one could be worth it if it fixes your connection issues.

th3madhatter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages th3madhatter
Davidm122 wrote:
Of course, this vertical resolution issue is more a problem due the industry's move to 16:9 widescreen formats than anything. If notebooks like this had a 15" 4:3 aspect ratio screen with a comparable resolution of 1280x960, there would be a lot less wasted space when browsing the web and doing other common desktop tasks.

Bingo!

lizzz11034

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lizzz11034

I've been using this laptop since February and having the same problems, glad to know I'm not the only one with the issue. May have to try the first suggestion. I like everything else about this laptop, just wish the Wi-Fi didn't constantly drop out...

fixitnate wrote:I've been using an Acer Win8 touchscreen tablet (not this one) and I'm about to throw it. The Wi-Fi keeps dropping out for no apparent reason. I've searched Google for the same issue to no avail... at least no fixes that work for others work for me. Home Wi-Fi, random switching to "Limited Access" on the connection or just a sudden stop in streaming with no other indication, must disconnect and reconnect to regain. Rarely can get through an entire Netflix movie or YouTube session without it cutting out multiple times. When it kicks out, I can use the wi-fi on my phone just fine connected to the same access point. Not sure if it's a Win8 thing or an Acer thing, but it's a greatly annoying thing. Win7 laptops on the same access point work flawlessly under the same circumstances.

awolpe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awolpe
lizzz11034 wrote:I've been using this laptop since February and having the same problems, glad to know I'm not the only one with the issue. May have to try the first suggestion. I like everything else about this laptop, just wish the Wi-Fi didn't constantly drop out...

Just got one of these...same exact issue with the wifi. Anyone try the usb wireless adapter? did it fix the issue?

awolpe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awolpe
fixitnate wrote:I've been using an Acer Win8 touchscreen tablet (not this one) and I'm about to throw it. The Wi-Fi keeps dropping out for no apparent reason. I've searched Google for the same issue to no avail... at least no fixes that work for others work for me. Home Wi-Fi, random switching to "Limited Access" on the connection or just a sudden stop in streaming with no other indication, must disconnect and reconnect to regain. Rarely can get through an entire Netflix movie or YouTube session without it cutting out multiple times. When it kicks out, I can use the wi-fi on my phone just fine connected to the same access point. Not sure if it's a Win8 thing or an Acer thing, but it's a greatly annoying thing. Win7 laptops on the same access point work flawlessly under the same circumstances.

I spent about three hours on this today. First tried updating the wifi device driver in Device Manager, but that said the driver ( a 2012 driver) was up to date. Acer tech support said this problem happens a lot and would be fixed by a new driver. Go to support.acer.com,search for Aspire V5-571P (not 571), and download the driver for your wireless device. You will of course have to use another computer, since you have no wireless. Or perhaps Ethernet LAN cable. Acer gives no instructions on driver installation, so I got to call again. Unzip the file, then look for setup or setup.exe, click on that and the new driver will install. For me it worked like magic