3%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

Here are some Amazon Reviews on the HHT-149 which is offered here.

I couldn't find the HHT-149 on their site, but here is the HHT-145 on the Honeywell site.
I'm not sure what the difference is.

honestjoe68

quality posts: 7 Private Messages honestjoe68

Had this exact Honeywell and sadly it quit working within a month, took it back to the store and exchanged it for another of same unit. The second replacement unit stopped oscillating, then the UV bulb burned out all within 25 days. The store I bought it from, thankfully, gave me a full refund. I would Not recommend Honeywell ever!! Sorry, Peace Out... HonestJoe68

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out these comments from when this was offered in July

conanthelibrarian

Good reviews (3.6 out of 5.0) over at homedepot.com

conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (4.0 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

fishfoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fishfoot

i think it is a wonderful machine!

awaid81

quality posts: 1 Private Messages awaid81

Cant comment on how good it works, but I have had nothing but good experiences with honeywell products. However, I wanted to point out something that I have read about these units that kept me from purchasing one. Many beieve because of the name HEPAClean, that this has a HEPA filter. It actually does not. It has a HEPA-type filter. Again, not saying it does not work. Just pointing that out as it apparently has angered a lot of people that did not realize what they were getting, or not getting I suppose.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
fishfoot wrote:i think it is a wonderful machine!

im sure.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

sdc100

quality posts: 508 Private Messages sdc100

A few thoughts:

1) Note that this does not use a HEPA filter. It uses a "HEPA-type" filter which usually means that it isn't as good as true HEPA. Those with bad allergies might want to take note.

2) It appears to use a "permanent" filter, which needs to be cleaned regularly. Please note that these aren't really permanent, and will eventually gunk up to the point where it can't be vacuumed clean. The fact that it doesn't seem to be washable makes gunking more likely.

3)Permanent filters most often fail because people don't clean them regularly. The dust and grime build up so thick that no vacuuming or even washing would help. The good thing about this model is that it has a Clean reminder light. I don't know if it's triggered by time passed or by airflow. Better unit use airflow to gauge if teh filter really needs cleaning.

4) It has a UV light. This is a tried and true technology to kill pathogens. Our lab has one on 24/7. The problem is that air passes through this purifier very quickly. Some experts say that pathogens don't get enough UV exposure to be effective. Any pathogen that gets stuck on the HEPA-type filter should be destroyed by the UV light though. Please note that the UV bulb needs to be replaced so if this uses a non-standard bulb, replacement might be expensive and inconvenient.

5) It has an ionizer, which may be good or bad. Many people believe that negative ions have health benefits, including improving our mood. Ions can also help clean the air by attaching onto particles (including odors), which will then attract themselves onto positively charge surfaces. Better units will have a positive attractor plate to trap the dirt. This doesn't seem to have one which means that the particles will cling to nearby walls, furniture and the floor. Black splotches on nearby surfaces is not uncommon with ionizers.

Unfortunately, all ion generators also emit ozone, a toxic and irritating gas. Those with respiratory illnesses might want to turn off this feature. In fact, Consumer Reports recommends against this feature.

All in all, this isn't a bad unit but keep its limitations in mind.

jcassens5

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jcassens5

Thanks SDC, I didn't notice the ionizer was there (but optional?), and it's definitely true that it can be an irritant. I don't want the extra gadget though so I'll pass on this.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 99 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Beware of ion generation. It is a known lung irritant. One of our rescue cats was sickly and always had respiratory problems and the ion generation in something we bought almost killed her.

I LOVE the term HEPA-type! Right up there with "chocolatey" and "truthiness." American marketeers are the biggest BS masters in the world.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

telaviv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages telaviv

Is it better than the Sanyo model ABC-VW24A that Woot sold 2 year ago?
They discontinue this model and you can't get any filters for it anymore. so it blows just mist and that's it.

ariel

ajrush

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajrush

For those of us that aren't air-purists, this seems like a good bet, yes?

I have mild to moderate allergies and I take medicine for them - but I'm looking for something that can help keep my condo fresh.

Dust is a huge allergen for me, I dust often but ohhh it's never good enough + living in a city..

Sup?

Dyoel182

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dyoel182

Love the price but hate that style of non-washable filter. My Oreck XL that I got from Woot several years ago is still going strong but is a few decibels louder than it was out of the refurb box. May not work as well but at least I can keep using it until the unit finally dies and never worry about a filter replacement down the road.

TJMaximus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages TJMaximus

Since there's nowhere else to post this (unless it's right in front of me), regarding Mortimer and Monte's discussion of the day: Incontinent Parakeets would be a great name for a band.

strider72

quality posts: 1 Private Messages strider72
awaid81 wrote:Many beieve because of the name HEPAClean, that this has a HEPA filter. It actually does not. It has a HEPA-type filter. Again, not saying it does not work. Just pointing that out as it apparently has angered a lot of people that did not realize what they were getting, or not getting I suppose.

Honeywell has been doing this type of scummy marketing for a long time -- labeling their air purifiers "HEPA", and only in the fine print saying they're "HEPA-like" or "HEPA-style".

Hey, can I interest you in some sterile-like bandages? How about some lead-free-style pipes for your water supply (they look just like the ones that don't have lead!) If you're diabetic try my sugar-free-like candies!

This claims to stop 99% of particles larger than 2 microns. Actual HEPA stops 99.97% of particles larger than 0.3 microns. That means this lets through about FIVE HUNDRED TIMES what a HEPA filter lets through.

It's scummy marketing because if people are looking for HEPA, it's probably because they need HEPA.

havefun1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages havefun1
strider72 wrote:Honeywell has been doing this type of scummy marketing for a long time -- labeling their air purifiers "HEPA", and only in the fine print saying they're "HEPA-like" or "HEPA-style".

Hey, can I interest you in some sterile-like bandages? How about some lead-free-style pipes for your water supply (they look just like the ones that don't have lead!) If you're diabetic try my sugar-free-like candies!

This claims to stop 99% of particles larger than 2 microns. Actual HEPA stops 99.97% of particles larger than 0.3 microns. That means this lets through about FIVE HUNDRED TIMES what a HEPA filter lets through.

It's scummy marketing because if people are looking for HEPA, it's probably because they need HEPA.

Great comment

deadpool848

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deadpool848

Just got this product in the mail, and it does not work right out of the box, contacted woot support to see if I can return it and get a refund, this was my first time using woot so was wondering if anyone has had any experience with returning items like these with woot.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

deadpool848 wrote:Just got this product in the mail, and it does not work right out of the box, contacted woot support to see if I can return it and get a refund, this was my first time using woot so was wondering if anyone has had any experience with returning items like these with woot.

There is a 5 year warranty with Honeywell so it sounds like you should be okay. Woot Member Services should be able to direct you on how to resolve the issue.
Let us know here in the forums if you encounter any further issues.