5%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

SeeTheArt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages SeeTheArt

Hmmm … dual core for Tuesday – not quite a two-fer.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3325 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's learn all about the i5 processor

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3325 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

If you are not sure about what processor is right for you and you are not real familiar with computers, check out this. I used this when helping an older relative find the right computer for her.

crisshiano

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crisshiano

Is it a touch screen?

[MOD: Not touch screen]

fat50strat

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fat50strat

I'd like to add that I just got a laptop with windows 8, an i5, and a touch screen. Windows 8, as well as a laptop are both awesome with a touch screen. Overall I prefer 7, but with my laptop and the features of the touchpad combined with the touchscreen and 8? Great. I haven't taxed the CPU much yet, but I have run a bunch of programs all at once, but like I said, nothing too CPU intensive. Still, I dig it.

I was drunk for my first woot...now I can't stop coming here.

surfunk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages surfunk

I bought a very similar ASUS laptop this past March. It cost me $469.00 w/shipping (brand new/not reconditioned). Although, mine does not have a back-lit keyboard, it does have the same processor, and has 8GB RAM. No problems thus far, and it performs well.

I run some system taxing programs through it (such as Digital Audio Workstations and VSTs) without any hiccups. In my case, I'm glad to have that extra 2GB of RAM.

BTW, this model does not have a touch screen.

Oh, and I hated Windows 8 at first, but now like it.

ninjabb4

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ninjabb4

Just bought one.. Pretty good specs for the price. I'll change hdd to ssd and replace screen to full hd and this laptop will fly

norconkm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages norconkm
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's learn all about the i5 processor

That's the fourth gen processor, FYI.

corvettejoe

quality posts: 22 Private Messages corvettejoe

FINALLY! A decent i5 Win8 laptop without a stupid touchscreen!

if it had a higher res screen I would be in for one! (this is basically the same as the Dell laptop I have already).

The specs are plenty fast and I use it for my daily-use work laptop (IT guy) and on the side I do a lot of lightroom with it. It's plenty powerful enough to keep up with processing all my RAW images. I just wish it had the higher res screen, but an external monitor works just fine at higher resolutions for this kind of task.

Fast.Powerful.Cheap.

I always have to comment on the Win8 haters. Just don't use the stupid Metro apps. Simple as that. Ignore that and it "looks and feels" exactly like Win7.... only light years faster. Seriously. It's WAY faster than Win7 at a LOT of tasks, so just get over the tablet-looking start-screen and do yourselves a favor and upgrade. You'll thank yourself afterwards.

habanero75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages habanero75
ninjabb4 wrote:Just bought one.. Pretty good specs for the price. I'll change hdd to ssd and replace screen to full hd and this laptop will fly

How do you change/replace screen to full HD? Thanks

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

PassMark CPU benchmark 4014 for this processor
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3230M+%40+2.60GHz&id=1849

bigjp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigjp

Why no shipping to military address???

spyderkeeper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spyderkeeper

Um, become a magician?

habanero75 wrote:How do you change/replace screen to full HD? Thanks

teddyteddy21

quality posts: 1 Private Messages teddyteddy21

I'm concerned about the graphics card. My old laptop could barely get 20 fps for most games. How does this one compare? Can it be replaced if it's sub-par?

12/10/2013

topgun966

quality posts: 0 Private Messages topgun966

Seriously, what is up with the non stop very low res screens???? Phones and tablets are going up, but laptops are going down. It looks like crap!!

ncasolobp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ncasolobp
teddyteddy21 wrote:I'm concerned about the graphics card. My old laptop could barely get 20 fps for most games. How does this one compare? Can it be replaced if it's sub-par?

If you want a laptop for gaming don't get this. The integrated graphics card will do video just fine, but not video games. Most budget laptops no longer come with much power in the graphics card department. You now need to spend a good chunk of money to do some gaming.

If you're looking for a somewhat portable gaming option build a micro-atx PC.

teddyteddy21

quality posts: 1 Private Messages teddyteddy21
ncasolobp wrote:If you want a laptop for gaming don't get this. The integrated graphics card will do video just fine, but not video games. Most budget laptops no longer come with much power in the graphics card department. You now need to spend a good chunk of money to do some gaming.

If you're looking for a somewhat portable gaming option build a micro-atx PC.

I would prefer a laptop. I need portable, not somewhat portable. So there's no way to replace the graphics card?

12/10/2013

ninjabb4

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ninjabb4

Check this thread for a screen model: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/728245-asus-q500a-bhi5n01-upgrade-auo-b156hw01-v4-1080p-screen.html

and this is video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfr-m4f_dZw

It will cost about $60-70 to upgrade to FHD

bluemaple

quality posts: 73 Private Messages bluemaple

This is a decent price for a mainstream spec'd laptop. It will feel snappy doing mainstream stuff like email, Office, Facebook, YouTube, Netflix, etc...

At least it's factory refurbed with factory warranty, not some unknown third party with woot warranty.

FYI, in my medium-size market we'd pay about $50 (+another $25 tax) more for these specs new.

tgimerv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tgimerv

Will the sound card allow me to use Audacity? Last one I bought here, few months ago, would not (Win7), so I returned it.

bluemaple

ninjabb4 wrote:Check this thread for a screen model: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/728245-asus-q500a-bhi5n01-upgrade-auo-b156hw01-v4-1080p-screen.html

and this is video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfr-m4f_dZw

It will cost about $60-70 to upgrade to FHD

@ninjabb4, that's an entertaining read - I've replaced cracked screens with OEM-spec parts and it isn't for the faint of heart. This guy went thru the upgrade process and then found out he needed to also upgrade the cable.

If you're handy with small tools, sure, but you risk cracking the case, messing up the web cam/microphone cable...

Just as if you preferred 17 inch laptops, if the very normal, standard 1366x768 resolution of this woot bothers you, go find a laptop with the specs you want. (And pay a higher price in this case.)

danarenay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danarenay

Does this have an integrated webcam?

0ldeag1e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0ldeag1e
corvettejoe wrote:
Win8... It's WAY faster than Win7 at a LOT of tasks, so just get over the tablet-looking start-screen and do yourselves a favor and upgrade.

What tasks? My wife tried two Win8 laptops from Dell and HP, and neither were as fast as my old Win7 P6100 4gb Acer (which she now borrows all the time because unfortunately she bought one.) To say nothing of all the extra steps involved in doing anything in Win8. Not that Win7 is any great improvement over XP...

bluemaple

danarenay wrote:Does this have an integrated webcam?

@danarenay, yes. It is virtually impossible to find a mainstream laptop without a webcam these days.

mattequa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattequa

Bluemaple makes a good point here. Although this upgrade is possible it is not without risks.

I have also changed out screens etc.. but you can fry stuff. The laptop is not such a good buy at that point. It is one thing to do something like this on $100 junker, it is another thing to do it on $400 "new" laptop.

amlika

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amlika

Seems like a decent enough deal to lug around for class. Hoping it will perform adequately for my basic use. Seems like a good price for what it is. Do people really do hardcore gaming on laptops?

Obscurity makes it all clear.

xxl3ww

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xxl3ww
0ldeag1e wrote:What tasks? My wife tried two Win8 laptops from Dell and HP, and neither were as fast as my old Win7 P6100 4gb Acer (which she now borrows all the time because unfortunately she bought one.) To say nothing of all the extra steps involved in doing anything in Win8. Not that Win7 is any great improvement over XP...

Pretty much, EVERY task:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406668,00.asp

ncasolobp

teddyteddy21 wrote:I would prefer a laptop. I need portable, not somewhat portable. So there's no way to replace the graphics card?

Try the Tom's Hardware forum with that specific question. I don't know enough about computers to say for certain that you can't upgrade the graphics card, but I'd bet a week's pay that you can't on this particular laptop.

A Micro-ATX PC is small like a laptop. The only catch is you need a monitor to either take with you or plug in to when you get where you're going.

If you want a laptop capable of playing newer games with mediocre or decent FPS I'm thinking you're going to need to spend a minimum of $800.

nebelhund

quality posts: 7 Private Messages nebelhund
amlika wrote:Seems like a decent enough deal to lug around for class. Hoping it will perform adequately for my basic use. Seems like a good price for what it is. Do people really do hardcore gaming on laptops?

Absolutely, but not on those with an integrated graphics card. My son and I each have ASUS ROG(Republic of Gamer) laptops and they are great for even high spec gaming. I've had mine for about 4 years, his 1 and a half. I bought mine specifically so I could game and still be around the family, not in the game room. Some laptops can be desktop gaming replacements.

ASUS also sells a gimped version through Best Buy, and possibly other retailers, that physically looks the same but has much worse specs. Be careful when you are buying them if you really want a gaming laptop.

nebelhund

quality posts: 7 Private Messages nebelhund
ncasolobp wrote:Try the Tom's Hardware forum with that specific question. I don't know enough about computers to say for certain that you can't upgrade the graphics card, but I'd bet a week's pay that you can't on this particular laptop.

A Micro-ATX PC is small like a laptop. The only catch is you need a monitor to either take with you or plug in to when you get where you're going.

If you want a laptop capable of playing newer games with mediocre or decent FPS I'm thinking you're going to need to spend a minimum of $800.

I'll absolutely agree that it is very unlikely you could upgrade the graphics card on this laptop. Laptops don't have the internal space that desktops do. The card that comes with the laptop is normally the only one that will fit the space.

It is different with gaming laptops with discrete(non-integrated) video cards. You often have some choices in which video cards will physically fit in them.

mckinnej

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mckinnej

Another decent mid-range laptop that is ruined by a 1366x768 screen. Vertical resolution has been steadily dropping for years and it needs to stop. I thought we had hit the floor at 1080, but now that's the high end. I blame Microsoft because these screens are targeted for Win8 and that awful Metro interface. Using one is a major pain because you always have to scroll up and down. Just say "NO" to 1366x768!

ncasolobp

nebelhund wrote:I'll absolutely agree that it is very unlikely you could upgrade the graphics card on this laptop. Laptops don't have the internal space that desktops do. The card that comes with the laptop is normally the only one that will fit the space.

It is different with gaming laptops with discrete(non-integrated) video cards. You often have some choices in which video cards will physically fit in them.

Yup, but then by the time you get in to the "gaming laptop" area you're already up over $800.

pukeboy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pukeboy
mckinnej wrote:Another decent mid-range laptop that is ruined by a 1366x768 screen. Vertical resolution has been steadily dropping for years and it needs to stop. I thought we had hit the floor at 1080, but now that's the high end. I blame Microsoft because these screens are targeted for Win8 and that awful Metro interface. Using one is a major pain because you always have to scroll up and down. Just say "NO" to 1366x768!

I still have my old 24" monitor because it's 1920x1200 (not 1080).

Any laptop for me must have 1920x1080 at a minimum and I haven't found anything that does 1920x1200 or better, other than premium-priced Apples and ToughBooks.

You're on probation!

You've been put on posting probation for this post for this reason: Inappropriate and gross post. Deleted multiple times for a reason. 48h

Please stare at the scary cartoon dog for 48 hours and then try posting again.

ekospb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ekospb
teddyteddy21 wrote:I'm concerned about the graphics card. My old laptop could barely get 20 fps for most games. How does this one compare? Can it be replaced if it's sub-par?

If you are looking to play games on a laptop, be prepared to shell out upwards of $1,000 - without a dedicated video card you won't get much more than 20 FPS

zer07777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zer07777

Coming from a person that has an i7 ivy bridge laptop, which has practically the same graphics solution, I can attest that this is a decent low/mid gaming solution.

League of Legends runs at a near constant 60 FPS with my laptop, at medium settings , which has practically the same graphics solution.

That being said, don't expect it to go running new games on high/etc.

Integrated graphics used to be horrible but thanks to the APU's created by AMD/Intel now, such is not the case.

peztali

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peztali

Does this come with recovery media or install dvd or something in case you want to reinstall Windows 8 at some point?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 560 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

peztali wrote:Does this come with recovery media or install dvd or something in case you want to reinstall Windows 8 at some point?

Most computers now come with a recovery partition on the hard drive or you can create your own recovery media. The computer manufacturer's sites usually have information on how to do this. Some also let you order recovery media.

Here's the info for the Asus Q500A line.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mrkent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrkent

Thankyouveddymuch for the ultra useful link!

conanthelibrarian wrote:If you are not sure about what processor is right for you and you are not real familiar with computers, check out this. I used this when helping an older relative find the right computer for her.