BravoKilo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BravoKilo

How does this compare against the Q400a laptop ?

My current Gateway is on its last legs (freezes every 20 minutes, and DVD drive is dead so I can't reinstall Win7) and looking to pick up a "new" laptop soon. No serious gaming, mainly surfing/web/etc.

Thanks

richardohill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richardohill

Is this Windows 8 Professional? Home?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

richardohill wrote:Is this Windows 8 Professional? Home?

Microsoft reduced the number of consumer editions with Windows 8. There's Windows 8 and Windows 8 Professional. This comes with Windows 8.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

pauldownsouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pauldownsouth
ThunderThighs wrote:Most computers now come with a recovery partition on the hard drive or you can create your own recovery media. The computer manufacturer's sites usually have information on how to do this. Some also let you order recovery media.

Here's the info for the Asus Q500A line.

There is absolutely no media and no recovery partition. You can purchase a "restore me" DVD for the original Q500As for a whopping $50, but it is not clear they would work on these. There are no win 7 drivers available from Asus that I can find.

Does anyone know if these will be eligible for the upcoming Win 8.1 "correction" for free?

This is my last Asus refurb purchase ever. Support level is just too low, even at this price.

splitboarder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages splitboarder

Anyone else get an AMD A8-4500 processor instead of the intel i5 3230 that was advertised?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

splitboarder wrote:Anyone else get an AMD A8-4500 processor instead of the intel i5 3230 that was advertised?

Bait and switch much?

If you received an incorrect processor, please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll be more than happy to help resolve the issue.

splitboarder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages splitboarder
ROGETRAY wrote:If you received an incorrect processor, please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll be more than happy to help resolve the issue.

Done. I'll edit my comment until I hear back on a solution.

bikegeek0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bikegeek0

Unfortunately, my DVD drive doesn't work. On the bright side, it came with a used copy of The Apple Dumpling Gang in it...

peterrk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages peterrk

Mine came with a counterfeit copy of win8 that I can't activate. Apparently, win license key is built into bios?!?! ASUS is making me pay postage to exchange the computer for one with a legal copy of win8. That sucks.