WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What's your opinion of NPR's "This American Life"?
  • 23.8% - Love it! 392
  • 8.2% - I like it, but Ira's voice grates on my soul 135
  • 5.3% - Despise it. 88
  • 60.8% - I don't know what that is. 1001
  • 1.9% - Another opinion I'll express in the comments in the style of John Hodgman 31
1647 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

crude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crude

just another propaganda mouth piece

hurricanechelsea

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hurricanechelsea

If I remember correctly, it's not from NPR, it's from PRI. So... trick question?

I love Ira Glass and I love the show. I don't listen often, but when I do, it tends to be in binges. Some episodes are better than others, but the good ones really stick with me.

conculcate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages conculcate
crude wrote:just another propaganda mouth piece

If you actually believe that, then I pity you.

procop

quality posts: 1 Private Messages procop
conculcate wrote:If you actually believe that, then I pity you.

If you actually don't believe that, then we all pity you.

DrHardcrab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DrHardcrab

Does anyone really listen to NPR anymore?

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK
DrHardcrab wrote:Does anyone really listen to NPR anymore?

I do.

CatCK

I won't say that I love the show, but I do like it a lot when I come across it. The stories are often interesting.

DivineAna

quality posts: 9 Private Messages DivineAna

What a weird thing to say. I'm pretty sure they have more listeners than ever, though it depends on your local station. I used to live in Chicago, home of basically all the great shows, and when I go on road trips I always find it strange when I come across local NPR stations that play nothing but the news and classical music.

cebii

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cebii
CatCK wrote:I do.

I do, too.

evierjoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evierjoy
cebii wrote:I do, too.

Ditto.

ClaudeCat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ClaudeCat
evierjoy wrote:Ditto.

It's pretty much the only radio station I tune in to.

cappomutato

quality posts: 19 Private Messages cappomutato

Propaganda for what? Reality? Maybe you just don't understand what "propaganda" means.

yay taco

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Love it as much as "Snap Judgement". And since I adore "Snap Judgement", then I think you get a pretty good idea how much I love "This American Life".

Ira Glass' voice amuses me greatly.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

I listen to NPR on the way to work in the mornings.. mostly just news that time of day. It's usually better than our local news. I do listen to the local news on the way home for the traffic reports.

I do catch some of the weekend shows while driving back and forth between home and the hardware store. There are a few I like.

I've heard of "This American Life", but never had a chance to hear it.

In case anyone needs it, propaganda is:

information, esp. of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view. -- from the Google

I really doubt this radio show falls under that definition. What could babysitters possibly have to do with politics?

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

triplebud

quality posts: 2 Private Messages triplebud

I make my 15 year old nephew listen to NPR every day now because he got caught smoking weed.

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches

As I've gotten older, my hearing has gotten worst. I have the type of hearing loss that no matter how loud I turn up the radio (etc.) I can't understand. That being said....I miss NPR radio more than anything else. If only it was sub-titled. LOL

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

magnoliasouth

quality posts: 4 Private Messages magnoliasouth

I'd be willing to try listening to it. Problem is, we don't have NPR (or PRI, but NPR has it listed on their website) anywhere in our area.

Does anyone know if a channel on iheartradio carries it? A search revealed nothing.

What I'd really LOVE to hear, are the old fashioned entertainment radio shows like Suspense, Jack Benny or learning things like languages.

Stations should bring back those goodies. Not everyone wants to listen to music all the time. The older I get, the less I like it. lol!

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean that they hate you, or anyone else.

magnoliasouth

Propaganda in which direction?

Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean that they hate you, or anyone else.

moles1138

quality posts: 8 Private Messages moles1138
magnoliasouth wrote:I'd be willing to try listening to it. Problem is, we don't have NPR (or PRI, but NPR has it listed on their website) anywhere in our area.

Does anyone know if a channel on iheartradio carries it? A search revealed nothing.

What I'd really LOVE to hear, are the old fashioned entertainment radio shows like Suspense, Jack Benny or learning things like languages.

Stations should bring back those goodies. Not everyone wants to listen to music all the time. The older I get, the less I like it. lol!

You can listen to WKSU online. I assume other stations are available too.

magnoliasouth

moles1138 wrote:You can listen to WKSU online. I assume other stations are available too.

Aha! Perfect, thank you. :O)

ashleyashley

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashleyashley

I am happy to report that I am reading everyone's comments in the mellifluous voice of John Hodgman in my head. Quite pleasing, indeed.

pedrogammos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pedrogammos

This American Life has been recommended to me as one that I would enjoy, but I haven't had the time to listen to it.

WillyMF1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WillyMF1

Is this supposed to be a punishment or are you just trying to show him what good stoners grow up to be?

triplebud wrote:I make my 15 year old nephew listen to NPR every day now because he got caught smoking weed.

bchiesa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bchiesa

Only reason I have a radio. If I want music, I have an iPod.

christinue

quality posts: 2 Private Messages christinue
ashleyashley wrote:I am happy to report that I am reading everyone's comments in the mellifluous voice of John Hodgman in my head. Quite pleasing, indeed.

All too often, the staff of all sorts of NPR shows narrate my articles and text books. When I'm sleepy, its Diane Reem.

But yes, I listen to This American Life and all sorts of others all the time (I spend a great deal of time in the car). I envy places like chicago.

clarkbhm

quality posts: 19 Private Messages clarkbhm

I've discovered TAL several years ago and listen to it in podcast form. I enjoy the show and decided to try to "catch up" by downloading older shows.

It's actually a little disconcerting as I've worked my way back to the early 2000s so they're talking about President Bush in a pre-9/11 environment. So much has changed--it's a great capsule of our national mindset.

gideonfrost

quality posts: 33 Private Messages gideonfrost

Their last evil propaganda piece was about the super liberal biased topic of Babysitting!

jaferson

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jaferson

I do and am right now...

Bounty of Candy
Speed to First Woot:0m 23.115s
First Sucker:jaferson

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

So I will take this as no you have never listened to the show

shelleyh

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shelleyh

I listen to NPR. Science Friday is my favorite show.

ohnoitsthefuzz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ohnoitsthefuzz

I started a new job about 5-6 months ago that has an hour-plus commute. WNYC, the NPR station in north NJ, has BBC news until 10, then Brian Lehrer. On my way home at 7 PM, I think the programming varies between TAL, Radiolab, I think Freakanomics if I listen late enough. It's awesome. The shows and topics are intelligent and very thought provoking, but they manage this without being pedantic or pretentious. The only other show/station that has hooked me like WNYC has is Free Beer & Hot Wings. FBHW provides the farty, wang joke-y counterbalance to all that smart talk on NPR.

CatCK

moles1138 wrote:You can listen to WKSU online. I assume other stations are available too.

All of the NPR stations around me have online streaming. Try this link to find stations, then check their websites:
http://www.npr.org/stations/

Podcasts of This American Life can be accessed here: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/podcast

"Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" is my favorite NPR program.