Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2761 Private Messages lichme

Item: TiVo Premiere DVR +%26 Stream Bundle
Price: $149.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
3/31/2013 - $289.99-389.99 - 50 comment(s)
2/20/2013 - $299.99-399.99 (Woot-off) - 7 comment(s)
1/28/2013 - $299.99-399.99 - 128 comment(s)

lichme

quality posts: 2761 Private Messages lichme

Take a look at the Product Page for the premiere

bytefield

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bytefield

Dontown Abbey?

:-)

davefattal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages davefattal

These are probably going to get cheaper now that a newer version is out. I have one of these (the two tuner version) and I love it. The newer model is roughly the same but much faster.

HI

hoserelder

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hoserelder

Roamio, Roamio...

Where for art thou, Roamio?

tweekerz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tweekerz

My Roamio was delivered and set up yesterday.

Records 6 channels using the same M Card your Premiere is alreay using.

The UI is more refined. The core layout is still the same, and does not offer end user customization.

Now, without having to plug in another electronic accessory near my TV, the Tivo streams directly to iOS 5.1 or newer device (iPad 3 for me), and it streams better than my Slingbox has. Makes me consider getting an iPhone rather than my HTC OneX+ Android! lol

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3346 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this overview (and video) over at cnet.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3346 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's check out the UI

nickelseternal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nickelseternal

Makes me consider getting an iPhone rather than my HTC OneX+ Android! lol[/quote]

Blasphemous! Don't be an I-drone!
If they had some kind of deal on the subscription fee like with the SIMPLE.TV , we might be in business. Other than that, the DVD with verizon is and extra $8!

jokerfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jokerfan
davefattal wrote:These are probably going to get cheaper now that a newer version is out. I have one of these (the two tuner version) and I love it. The newer model is roughly the same but much faster.

who would buy into this...crazy! still need some kind of cable service way too much money

lemonflavor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lemonflavor
jokerfan wrote:who would buy into this...crazy! still need some kind of cable service way too much money

Why would you need cable service?

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
lemonflavor wrote:Why would you need cable service?

this doesn't support satellite or ota channels.

I always did like yardsales.

0x776F6F7421

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 0x776F6F7421
bytefield wrote:Dontown Abbey?

:-)

Hey, they have company, to the tune of 322,000 other creative spellers. (The boring mainstream spelling gets 74 million hits)

ivioo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ivioo

The link to TiVo's website in the description is broken

Shut up and take my money...again

billux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billux

You need digital cable with a mulch-cast cable card for the premier 4 or xl4. We switched to fios from directv with no hiccups. Love the box (the XL4). Price is comparable to what is out there at this time.

Woody1

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Woody1

Explain to me why I need this?

I hate TWC and spending $18/mo on their HD DVR but if it dies a free replacement is a phone call.

For this, I need to still rent a cable card at $5/mo, pay at least $155 up front and a minimum of $15/mo to make it work. If it dies I own an expensive brick.

How is this cheaper? Isn't there a way to make old PS2's and Myth TV happen for a lot less?

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square

Married_Man

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Married_Man
luke975 wrote:this doesn't support satellite or ota channels.

If Woots product photos are acurate, it seems there are two different models of each Tivo Premier. The Tivo Premier product page shows both an OTA HD Antenna input and cable input. And per my conversation with Tivo last week, when I was researching for my parents, no cablecard is needed and the premier supports simultaneous connection of both analog cable and OTA HD.

I was tempted by this until I saw the single antenna input.

jrhusc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jrhusc

No thanks for a TiVo. I had one of these and wanted to renew for a year again-after 5+ years of service. They said nope, no year agreenment. You have to go month to month or lifetime.

I'm no longer a TiVo customer and won't ever be again. The technology used to be unique but it isn't anymore.

deathopie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages deathopie
Woody1 wrote:Explain to me why I need this?

I hate TWC and spending $18/mo on their HD DVR but if it dies a free replacement is a phone call.

For this, I need to still rent a cable card at $5/mo, pay at least $155 up front and a minimum of $15/mo to make it work. If it dies I own an expensive brick.

How is this cheaper? Isn't there a way to make old PS2's and Myth TV happen for a lot less?

Just before the Premiere's came out about 3+ years ago I bought a Tivo HD XL with a lifetime sub from woot. The price for these on Ebay is still going for over $200 because of the lifetime sub. Plus you have to factor in that you are getting a superior product to the cable dvr. But personally I would not go for the older, cheaper Tivo. Get the new one. It's getting good reviews and does a lot more.

kcmark

quality posts: 25 Private Messages kcmark

Sounds like you don't. We have one (bought it as a refurb from Woot) but we use it with OTA channels and the internet (Netflix, Amazon, MLB.tv, Youtube) Haven't paid for cable TV the last 4 years.

eskwadrat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eskwadrat

TiVo is probably the biggest business case of successful monopolistic project in consumer entertainment business of our times where one corporation using patented idea wiped out entire market from alternative video recorders leaving customer with no alternatives to choose from. Even the biggest a/v makers like Sony, Panasonic had to give up and remove their dvrs from the marked threatened to being sued. Miracously, with TiVo rise in the consumer US market the free EPG has also disappeared leaving alternative video recorders owners with their hands tied.
In the other hand, TiVo offers somehow product with excellent UI allowing customer to do exactly and more what average Joe could think about of doing. The monthly subscription fee for just being able to record to watch later may seem like unfair since customer is already paying for cable service but it allows TiVo provider to run their business like many other mostly software companies nowadays and cover expense of customer service and fees to big hollywood studios which also take a share.

Who says entertainment was ever free, right?

Steve

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
Married_Man wrote:If Woots product photos are acurate, it seems there are two different models of each Tivo Premier. The Tivo Premier product page shows both an OTA HD Antenna input and cable input. And per my conversation with Tivo last week, when I was researching for my parents, no cablecard is needed and the premier supports simultaneous connection of both analog cable and OTA HD.

I was tempted by this until I saw the single antenna input.

per the specs:TV Input Sources: Digital cable (QAM only) and Verizon FiOS®
Does not support AT&T U-verse, satellite, analog cable, or antenna (ATSC)

some models support ota and or satellite. these do not.

I always did like yardsales.

heyitspeej

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heyitspeej

Has anyone ever had luck with TiVo transferring a lifetime sub or offering a larger discount? I currently have a TiVo series 2 made by humax with a lifetime sub collecting dust.

lauramiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lauramiller
tweekerz wrote:
Now, without having to plug in another electronic accessory near my TV, the Tivo streams directly to iOS 5.1 or newer device (iPad 3 for me), and it streams better than my Slingbox has. Makes me consider getting an iPhone rather than my HTC OneX+ Android! lol

I bought a Premiere just before the Roamio came out and have been wondering if it would be worth it to exchange. I can't find enough things worth recording to care about the six-channel option, but I*would* like to stream from the Tivo to my iPad 3. Are you saying you don't need the Tivo Stream to do that, that the Roamio can stream to an iOS device all by its lonesome?

lauramiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lauramiller
heyitspeej wrote:Has anyone ever had luck with TiVo transferring a lifetime sub or offering a larger discount? I currently have a TiVo series 2 made by humax with a lifetime sub collecting dust.

You can't transfer the lifetime subscription to another box, but if you already have one Tivo up and running when you order a new one, they'll give you a discount on the new, additional lifetime subscription. No one says you have to keep the old Tivo running after you buy the new one.

To get the discount ($100), your old box w/lifetime sub has to have contacted the Tivo service sometime in the past X days (I forget exactly how many). So just set it up again so it can either phone in for programming info or connect wirelessly and leave it running. Make sure it's still registered with Tivo (you can check on the Tivo website, but might have to fiddle about with this if it's been out of commission for a while). Then when you order the new box, go for the Multibox discount, or whatever they call it.

You can unplug & mothball the old box once the new one arrives

disturbedfred

quality posts: 0 Private Messages disturbedfred
lauramiller wrote:I bought a Premiere just before the Roamio came out and have been wondering if it would be worth it to exchange. I can't find enough things worth recording to care about the six-channel option, but I*would* like to stream from the Tivo to my iPad 3. Are you saying you don't need the Tivo Stream to do that, that the Roamio can stream to an iOS device all by its lonesome?

The Roamio Plus ($399) and Pro ($599) have TiVo Stream capability built in. The base model ($199) does not.

wvwc1992

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wvwc1992
heyitspeej wrote:Has anyone ever had luck with TiVo transferring a lifetime sub or offering a larger discount? I currently have a TiVo series 2 made by humax with a lifetime sub collecting dust.

Its been some years since I did so, and I didn't transfer my service, just added additional service (yes, my Series 2 is still operating in the MBR). I think I received something like a $100 discount off the lifetime service for the new purchase. Sadly, I think I paid (for a 2 tuner Premier unit) 4-5x what they are going for now.

choekstr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages choekstr

FCC mandates that the cable companies charge a reasonable fee for the Cable Cards. Most have pricing at around $1.50 per card or even free. Comcast is free for the first cable card and $1.29-ish for every additional one. My series 3 needs 2 CC's plus my Premier 2 channel needs 1. Three total CC's so i pay for 2, get one free.

Lifetime pays for itself after around 3 years so this is the way to go. Way cheaper than a monthly fee if you hold onto your devices for more than a couple years.

Over the course of 12 years (2001) and 5 Tivo's not a single one has gone bad. I am not saying it won't go bad but it is not like they fail often.

Just adding a little perspective to the discussion.

choekstr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages choekstr

IIRC they have done a transfer once in the past without a fee when there was a huge public outcry but they usually offer you a deeply discounted lifetime on the new replacement box. So $499 for new customers. $399 for existing customers. A replacement box for a failed device transfers over for free.

For newer generation boxes I want to say I have heard stories of getting lifetime cheaper but that was after working the Customer service rep. I think my series 2 to premier was the full $399 since it was a brand new box and the BOX carries the lifetime subscription, not the person.

Married_Man

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Married_Man
luke975 wrote:per the specs:TV Input Sources: Digital cable (QAM only) and Verizon FiOS®
Does not support AT&T U-verse, satellite, analog cable, or antenna (ATSC)

some models support ota and or satellite. these do not.

After looking a little further on Tivo's site, it looks like the Tivo Premier has OTA and analog cable support, no cablecard needed. The Tivo Premier 4 does not have OTA support. Just a little confusing as Woot lists it as a Tivo Premier (though product selection lists it as a Premier 4).

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus
jrhusc wrote:No thanks for a TiVo. I had one of these and wanted to renew for a year again-after 5+ years of service. They said nope, no year agreenment. You have to go month to month or lifetime.

I'm no longer a TiVo customer and won't ever be again. The technology used to be unique but it isn't anymore.

Weird, they told me they only offer annual commitments. I tried to sign up month-to-month with a box I bought from someone else and they wanted a 1 yr contract or nothing. OK I'll take my $15 a month elsewhere then I guess.

dognose

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dognose

The price of service kills the deal... And it's useless w/ out the service. Tivo was way ahead of it's time when it came out. But I couldn't see spending $12 a month on tv listings..

shadowplay1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shadowplay1
dognose wrote:The price of service kills the deal... And it's useless w/ out the service. Tivo was way ahead of it's time when it came out. But I couldn't see spending $12 a month on tv listings..

It's not $12/month for tv listings....these things cost more to make (or at least as much to make) as they sell for. The service is how they make money.

I've always said if it were easy to make a dvr and sell it for a couple hundred dollars and make money Sony, Apple, Samsung... would be doing it...

lemonflavor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lemonflavor
luke975 wrote:this doesn't support satellite or ota channels.

Wow. I stand corrected. This would just be an improved DVR from the one you get with cable, which is certainly adequate--unless you're already used to the extra features of a TiVo, and then spend another $15 a month (or more?) to utilize it. Dish has similar features with their new thing, but maybe that costs more overall. It's all too much money to watch a few channels.

spummerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spummerr

radstu

quality posts: 3 Private Messages radstu

I have three series 2 tivos that have been in operation for somewhere between 6 and 9 years each. YMMV. The community support around them let me drop in huge drives, which lets me watch tv on my own schedule, and repair one by burning an ISO and fixing then cloning the HD when one went dead.

I've recently switched to UVerse and their DVRs to get HD programming, but as soon as my contract is up, I'm ditching UVerse and going back to Tivo. Tivo's interface is so much more polished - it's hard to describe but everything works better. The remote is more intuitive, and the product is much less restrictive out of the box (streaming to my devices with far fewer hoops than UVerse.)

If you watch TV, get a Tivo. It's that simple.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

I have the 2-tuner Premier... from Woot. My family loves it... but I have no use for it apart from commercial skip. Mostly I watch sports and news... Sports is a DVR loser... seldom want to watch a game where the outcome is known..,. and news gets stale fast.

TiVo streaming features leave a lot to be desired. Netflix and Youtube are unwieldy.

I understand that this model has DLNA capability... no that I could get into. Unfortunately the 2-tuner unit doesn't.

TiVo is pricey. If your not a big fan of TV, then you're probably best off with what your cable/satellite provider offers.

TiVos are paperweights without a TiVo subscription.

nate4550

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nate4550
wvwc1992 wrote: (yes, my Series 2 is still operating in the MBR).

I still have a Series 1 running in my bedroom, gets light usage every day, though obviously is recording regardless. I'm shocked how well it's held up. Going on almost 12 years now(with lifetime service of course!). I replaced the disks once maybe 7 years ago(old ones were making whiny noises), also added a TurboNet Cachecard at the time too.

Bought a Series 3 back in 2006 which gets heavy use daily still. Had to replace drives twice in that(due to failures). Back then lifetime service was $199 I think.. my 2nd tivo was $299, then $399 on my 3rd.

Tempted to get this.. though the stream is useless to me since I do not have nor will ever have Apple products.. still, hard to resist......

UPDATE: ordered the Premier4. Because it was new. Going to get a 2TB or 3TB(may not be supported) drive "Western Digital WD AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM" from Newegg for $99 and upgrade it.

From what I could tell the only difference between the two technically is the larger disk and the glo remote (I have a glo remote already turned the glow off years ago drains battery too fast). The XL has THX cert, the non XL does not - though from what I read both output the same audio, Tivo just didn't pay the fees to get the non XL certified (My Series 3 is THX - though I don't have a THX sound system so it doesn't matter!)

irtax

quality posts: 1 Private Messages irtax

I have a Series 2 I got 10 +/- years ago with lifetime that still gets some use and is still running fine. I had a Series 3 I got when they were first introduced with lifetime that I have since given to my brother. He uses it in his living room as his main DVR and it still runs great (I did upgrade the hard drive for more storage).

I gave my brother the series 3 when I switched to UVerse. As soon as my UVerse contract was up, I dumped that and went back to cable primarily so I could go back to TiVo, and got a Premier 4 XL with lifetime. As someone mentioned before, the TiVo user interface is miles ahead of most cable/sat DVRs. The UVerse DVR worked fine, but navigating the UI was cumbersome compared to TiVo. My parents have a Dish Network DVR (not the Hopper) and it is horrible to use.

One thing the TiVo software does that I have yet to see on a cable co or sat dvr is know to record a repeat airing of a show if the original showing was skipped due to a conflict. Admittedly with 4 tuners I don't really run into that any more, but with 2 tuners it happened regularly.

The Wishlist feature is fantastic for sports recording. I don't have to ever check schedules or guides to see if one of my teams is televised, the wishlist just auto records it for me. Can do the same for favorite actors, genres, etc.