Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

lichme

quality posts: 3002 Private Messages lichme

More info and reviews direct from Barnes And Noble

thumperchick

quality posts: 244 Private Messages thumperchick

I just got one of these a few weeks back, the 16 g version.
I love it. LOVE it.

It runs the kindle app well. It plays games. It streams Netflix. I just does what I want it to, when I want it to.

Sarzanini

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Sarzanini

Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance),[1] in its broadest sense, is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or event characterized by an incongruity, or contrast, between reality (what is) and appearance (what seems to be). The term may be further defined into several categories, among which are: verbal, dramatic, and situational.

Also See - Amazon held company selling Nooks.

embyr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages embyr

I loved my Nook Color from the moment I got it, and my Nook HD+ (the 3 generation old one, and the 9" similar to this 7" respectively). If this were a 16 or 32 gig model, I'd pick it up just for a backup.

embyr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages embyr
Sarzanini wrote:Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance),[1] in its broadest sense, is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or event characterized by an incongruity, or contrast, between reality (what is) and appearance (what seems to be). The term may be further defined into several categories, among which are: verbal, dramatic, and situational.

Amazon has a minority stake in LibraryThing (and has had that minority stake in the company for many years), a direct competitor to GoodReads which they acquired earlier this year. Amazon's too big to not own things they're competing with.

hwlester

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hwlester
Sarzanini wrote:Also See - Amazon held company selling Nooks.

With the recent addition of Google Play, you can now run the Kindle for Android app on this. :P

Seriously, I picked up a reconditioned Nook HD+ (the larger screen version) a little over a week ago to read comics and magazines and I'm loving it. It runs the same firmware as the HD, which is not stock Android, so it takes a little getting used to if you're used to stock Android. It can be rooted and it can be made to boot CyanogenMod and other Android distributions. As far as the reconditioning goes, mine arrived in all the original packaging and appeared to be new other than a sticker sealing the box show that says reconditioned.

Also, I have the Kindle app, Zinio, Comixology, and Dark Horse Comics apps loaded (among others).

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3642 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Solid reviews (4.1 put of 5.0) over at amazon

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3642 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Pretty good reviews (4.2 out of 5.0) over at bestbuy.com

gertiestn

quality posts: 56 Private Messages gertiestn

If I may, I'd like to give a hearty recommendation of warranties from SquareTrade. Just within the last two weeks, I had a printer that died on me. I'd covered it with a SquareTrade extended warranty. Printer died on a Friday, ST authorized a return, I bought a new printer Saturday & printed out the return label, shipped the dead printer back on Monday, and SquareTrade had an Amazon gift card for the full amount in my email inbox by Tuesday night. An absolutely ideal transaction. If you're going to get a warranty , go with SquareTrade.

jbellis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbellis
conanthelibrarian wrote:Solid reviews (4.1 put of 5.0) over at amazon

That looks like the older Nook model, not the HD. The HD supports Google Play.

Sarzanini

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Sarzanini
jbellis wrote:That looks like the older Nook model, not the HD. The HD supports Google Play.

The description says it supports it. "Now with Google Play™
Millions of apps, games, movies, songs & more are available on Google Play on NOOK HD. Now you can get the best in reading and the best Android entertainment-all right at your fingertips."

murphicus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages murphicus

I answered my own question before I asked it...

How do I load my own .PDF files onto the Nook?

"Friendship is like peeing your pants,
Everyone can see it, But only you can feel the true warmth"

LAMDC

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LAMDC

Amazon reviews (4.2 out of 5) of current HD version:

http://www.amazon.com/NOOK-HD-7-8GB-Tablet/dp/1400698987

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425

I've got the 16GB version of this tablet, as well as the larger 32GB HD+ and they are GREAT tablets. While they don't have a camera like the Galaxy Tabs, these are great multimedia android tablets. It's expandable with microSDHC cards, making it incredibly easy to get things on and play/read anything you want (as opposed to my #@&*%! ipad that requires %#@*! itunes).

This is one of those tech purchases that will have legs for many years to come (as opposed to my ipad 1 :/ ).

PublicJohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PublicJohn

Does anyone know if there is a keyboard/case that will work with this?

stevemi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevemi

How well does this run Android games?

I have the original Nook Color but I'm thinking of upgrading.

ssskelton

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ssskelton
Sarzanini wrote:The description says it supports it. "Now with Google Play™
Millions of apps, games, movies, songs & more are available on Google Play on NOOK HD. Now you can get the best in reading and the best Android entertainment-all right at your fingertips."

He's correct, the link goes to the 'Tablet' which is what B&N called the model prior to the HD ones.

I've had both, and the Tablet didn't support Google Play when the HD models got it. This was true very recently, so unless it changed recently the 'Tablet' doesn't have Google Play.

That said, I also have a Nook HD, and it's a great device. It has its quirks, and the almost certain failing of B&N is unfortunate. But it's a purchase I would recommend to a friend.

orty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orty

They recently released Cyanogenmod 10.1 for this so you can completely blitz the Nook-ified Android and replace with standard Android.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317500

I did it to mine, works great.

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
gertiestn wrote:If I may, I'd like to give a hearty recommendation of warranties from SquareTrade. Just within the last two weeks, I had a printer that died on me. I'd covered it with a SquareTrade extended warranty. Printer died on a Friday, ST authorized a return, I bought a new printer Saturday & printed out the return label, shipped the dead printer back on Monday, and SquareTrade had an Amazon gift card for the full amount in my email inbox by Tuesday night. An absolutely ideal transaction. If you're going to get a warranty , go with SquareTrade.

I only bought a 2 year ST once with a 30% off coupon code. I never had to use it, the Toshiba Thrive I bought for my daughter never stopped working luckily. So, I had no experience with them. That's excellent information to know. Thanks!

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100
Sarzanini wrote:Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance),[1] in its broadest sense, is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or event characterized by an incongruity, or contrast, between reality (what is) and appearance (what seems to be). The term may be further defined into several categories, among which are: verbal, dramatic, and situational.

Amazon-held company? Forget Woot ... Amazon itself is selling the Nook. In fact, it sells every model ever made. And many of the reviews prefer the Nook to the Kindle. Gotta give Amazon a lotta credit. Just as I give Woot a lotta credit for allowing to to post links with better prices,

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

Price is common. Check Ebay. 9" refurbs for only $30 more.

murphicus

Audio book availability sounds very limited and loading non-BN purchased audio books, a pain:

Nook Audio Book Issues

sdc100

PublicJohn wrote:Does anyone know if there is a keyboard/case that will work with this?

Any bluetooth keyboard should be fine. For example, the budget-minded $12.98 SANOXY Bluetooth Keyboard, which rates 4 stars on Amazon. Although some keys are optimized for the iPad, all standard keys work with all bluetooth tablets. Or the $20 Anker, which has 4.5 stars from 1,312 users.

Cases are a bit more difficult if you want a perfect fit. You can get a generic Neoprene case that which stretch over any 7" tablet or get a case made specifically for this. Depends on your need. If you just want some protection, a $3 Neoprene case is fine. But if you want to use the case as a stand, then youshould get one made specifically for this.

lolamarya

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lolamarya

I totally wish I could justify buying something I don't need just for the sake of rooting it because I want to.... But I won't. I think we have enough tablets in our household for now.... but man, I really want to. I'd be selling it on craigslist in a week though, lol

sdc100

dliidlii wrote:Price is common. Check Ebay. 9" refurbs for only $30 more.

The problem with eBay is that there is generally no warranty. Unless the seller is a bona fide store or company, most manufacturers won't honor the purchase for warranty. A key problem is that there is usually no true receipt or guarantee that the item is truly unused (refurbed is fine; used is not). Second, some companies only deal with "Authorized sellers."

sdc100

murphicus wrote:Audio book availability sounds very limited and loading non-BN purchased audio books, a pain:

Nook Audio Book Issues

Do you really want to carry around a 7" device to hear audio books? Wouldn't a smaller media/mp3 player be easier?

sdc100

Mom wants a tablet to watch her media. This would have been a PERFECT purchase if it had a webcam. She wants to do video Skyping and this just can't handle it, not even with an external camera. Oh well.

sdc100

PublicJohn wrote:Does anyone know if there is a keyboard/case that will work with this?

If you want both a keyboard and case in one unit that is sized specifically for this Nook, you can try the Poetic KeyBook or The MoKo. They also work as a stand to prop up the screen as you type, simulating a laptop.

Just search Amazon, eBay or the web using, "nook 7" hd case bluetooth keyboard."

migelito

quality posts: 9 Private Messages migelito

so with google play, does that mean i can download the amazon app and read books and watch videos from amazon on the nook?

angelofchaos99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages angelofchaos99

The Enrichment Center... Sorry, Woot is required to remind you that the Weighted Companion Cube... Er, Nook HD cannot speak. In the event that it does speak, Woot urges you to disregard its advice.

rill2503456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rill2503456
sdc100 wrote:Amazon-held company? Forget Woot ... Amazon itself is selling the Nook. In fact, it sells every model ever made. And many of the reviews prefer the Nook to the Kindle. Gotta give Amazon a lotta credit. Just as I give Woot a lotta credit for allowing to to post links with better prices,

Umm...no. Amazon does not sell the Nook. People sell Nooks on Amazon, just like they would on ebay or any other online marketplace. But no, on amazon.com, the company Amazon does not sell the Nook. So, it could be taken as being noteworthy that Woot is.

sdc100

orty wrote:They recently released Cyanogenmod 10.1 for this so you can completely blitz the Nook-ified Android and replace with standard Android.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2317500

I did it to mine, works great.

For those who are less technical, or don't want to void their warranty, you don't have to replace the Nook Android. You can simply tell it to boot whatever flavor of Android you want, including Google's official version, off an SD card. The cheapest and easiest solution is to download Andoid-For-Nook (AFN) for $9.99.

Love the very informative Info section!

sdc100

B&N's official Q&A for Nooks. There are videos as well.

sdc100

sdc100

A not-so-objective comparison of the Nook HD and the iPad Mini from B&N. One noted omission is a webcam. In that category, the iPad wins so B&N conveniently leaves that category out. Still, the Nook is a way better value with better specs. Heck, almost any tablet is a way better value than the overpriced iPad.

murphicus

sdc100 wrote:Do you really want to carry around a 7" device to hear audio books? Wouldn't a smaller media/mp3 player be easier?

Are you sincerely asking? Yes, I do. and others who will be using it in the house will. Children? Read and listen to the same book? Judging by the link I posted, someone else was curious too.

Or was it a rhetorical question?

sdc100

murphicus wrote:Are you sincerely asking? Yes, I do. and others who will be using it in the house will. Children? Read and listen to the same book? Judging by the link I posted, someone else was curious too.

Or was it a rhetorical question?

Well, I guess if you really want to read and listen on the same device simultaneously. But as someone who has tried it on another tablet, I can tell you that it's a hassle since there are no dedicated hard buttons to control the audio other than volume. Pausing, etc requires many presses of the screen to access the audio app. Much easier with a separate $14 media player. I can read along with the tablet or an actual book. Plus, I'm usually on the go or exercising when I listen so I don't want to drag a 7" device with me. Especially if I risk breaking it, i.e. while exercising, or getting it wet, i.e. while bathing or washing dishes. Simply forgetting to pull out your headphones while getting up can result in a tablet on the floor with a broken screen. Not to mention a tangled cord. You can use bluetooth, of course. I think for most people, however, an MP3 player or smartphone is the more economical, convenient and safer solution.

casey00001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001

The Nook has the ability to view an sd card. I-pads do not. Huge difference.

sdc100 wrote:A not-so-objective comparison of the Nook HD and the iPad Mini from B&N. One noted omission is a webcam. In that category, the iPad wins so B&N conveniently leaves that category out. Still, the Nook is a way better value with better specs. Heck, almost any tablet is a way better value than the overpriced iPad.