shortbus2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shortbus2
sdc100 wrote:For those who are less technical, or don't want to void their warranty, you don't have to replace the Nook Android. You can simply tell it to boot whatever flavor of Android you want, including Google's official version, off an SD card. The cheapest and easiest solution is to download Andoid-For-Nook (AFN) for $9.99.

Love the very informative Info section!

I have a Nook Tablet and have been using AFN for about a year. Support from AFN is great and have been very happy with the "no mess" factor. Well worth the $10-20 to pay someone else to take care of all of the hassles and such. Just pop in the sdcard and reboot.

boblandau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boblandau

A more apt comparison than with the iPad mini would be with the Kindle Fire HD. Even if it's a silly one.

lbloechl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lbloechl

How is the screen quality? Good enough to watch my son's soccer games? I'd put the .mp4 on a external card and be able watch, correct?

MichXelle

quality posts: 38 Private Messages MichXelle
casey00001 wrote:The Nook has the ability to view an sd card. I-pads do not. Huge difference.

That is a huge difference. I ordered 1 earlier.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

michaeldeibert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michaeldeibert

I've had a Nook for a year now and it works fantastic! I added android memory chip so It is Hot Rodded! For little money I have a performing Tablet! Also works as a remote for netflix and my Google chromecast!

sflesch

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sflesch
lbloechl wrote:How is the screen quality? Good enough to watch my son's soccer games? I'd put the .mp4 on a external card and be able watch, correct?

Good enough to stream Netflix and other video services should be good enough for your son's game.

I can't recommend the Nooks enough. There's less of a reason now to root your Nook now that Google Play is available on the Nook, but if you're a do-it-yourself-er, the XDA Forums are wonderful. Lots of help.

I also highly recommend SquareTrade, especially if kids (or clumsy people like myself) will be using the Nook. I have replaced my Nook Color through ST and bought my HD. My HD's screen cracked and I am now waiting to replace it until I have $ to get another warranty on the new one.

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

Stevetjie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Stevetjie

How does this do for reading outdoors in bright sunlight? I've got a Kindle Paperwhite which I can read anywhere, including at the beach, but obviously it's limited for doing anything else.

mrericreed

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrericreed

But a nook can't read, and a nook can't cook. So what good to a nook is a hook cook book?

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
Sarzanini wrote:Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance),[1] in its broadest sense, is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or event characterized by an incongruity, or contrast, between reality (what is) and appearance (what seems to be). The term may be further defined into several categories, among which are: verbal, dramatic, and situational.

Also See - Amazon held company selling Nooks.

sdc100 wrote:Amazon-held company? Forget Woot ... Amazon itself is selling the Nook. In fact, it sells every model ever made. And many of the reviews prefer the Nook to the Kindle. Gotta give Amazon a lotta credit. Just as I give Woot a lotta credit for allowing to to post links with better prices,

It is still ironic - this product isn't just any cooking mat - it is a major part of the business model for both companies.

Kudos to woot for offering the Nook and agreed, the openness of woot to candid posts is refreshing. Clearly this rawness is a part of woot's business model - this place would be "vanilla" if it had more sanitized forum moderation.

cdeviney

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cdeviney
murphicus wrote:Audio book availability sounds very limited and loading non-BN purchased audio books, a pain:

Nook Audio Book Issues

Wow...you have to copy/paste your audiobook/MP3s from your PC to the Nook, just like I have to do to listen on my MP3 player...oh 'the horror' ?!?!?!

gak0090

quality posts: 84 Private Messages gak0090

These are awesome devices. If you don't need GPS or camera/webcam- these are the way to go. A week ago I purchased 3 of the HD+ 9" when they were $109 refurbed and am quite please. I have done the N2A (boot from SD card to android) and I was satisfied with that, until I found this:

It's a $13 purchase from ebay (see links on youtube) and you get emailed links for the download. You could probably find a way to do this for free, but this was so painless and quick that it was well worth the $13. This is the easiest way to put a current CM 10.1 Jellybean mod on your tablet and run it off the internal memory, while at the same time backing up the Nook OS to the memory card in case you ever have to reinstall it. The instructions are perfect, it's painless to do and takes about 15 minutes. The great thing is that it is running off your internal memory instead of an SD card which makes for a smoother experience. These Nook HD and HD+ are a steal at this price and putting Jellybean on them makes them awesome deal for the money.

Here is a link to the ebay page to purchase the version fo the HD 7" tablet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161044605382

If you have the HD+ 9" tablet (not the one being sold today) here is the link for that tablet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161023141705

michaelpnelligan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaelpnelligan
cdeviney wrote:Wow...you have to copy/paste your audiobook/MP3s from your PC to the Nook, just like I have to do to listen on my MP3 player...oh 'the horror' ?!?!?!

We have this model and the previous "nook color" in our family. The OverDrive app lets you download and consume books and audiobooks without going through your PC. Our local library is a member so it is easy-peasey. You may well have to load from PC for 3rd party media that does not have a nook/android app.

imhawaii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages imhawaii

Is that a proprietary charging cable I see? I might have pulled the trigger on this one but don't need or want to keep track of yet another special cable.

ophmarketing

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ophmarketing
imhawaii wrote:Is that a proprietary charging cable I see? I might have pulled the trigger on this one but don't need or want to keep track of yet another special cable.

Yes, it's a proprietary 30-pin connector.

I had one of these for about a week, and it was nice enough--I've even gone back and forth on getting this one since the price is so great. But having to invest in an entirely new charging eco-system for a product that's basically on its way out is probably a deal breaker for me.

ksquaredny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksquaredny

So, with Google Play, I should be able to get the kindle and overdrive apps on this nook and access my accounts/libraries, correct? Please clarify--thanks!!

shortbus2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shortbus2
Stevetjie wrote:How does this do for reading outdoors in bright sunlight? I've got a Kindle Paperwhite which I can read anywhere, including at the beach, but obviously it's limited for doing anything else.

Should be about the same as any other tablet...useless in direct sun. If you want to be able to read in the sunlight, you still can't beat having an e-ink display. We have a Nook Color, Nook Classic, iPad3, and a Kindle Keyboard. We still prefer to read books on the e-ink devices over any of the other devices. Battery life is so much better and the e-ink is easier on the eyes.

Of course the e-ink devices aren't good for any other purpose....trade offs.

jenniferbreuer4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenniferbreuer4

That was an excellent comparison. Thank you.

boblandau wrote:A more apt comparison than with the iPad mini would be with the Kindle Fire HD. Even if it's a silly one.

2003champs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2003champs

How is the wifi reception on this thing? I need something with outstanding wifi reception. I actually read that the kindle fire hd was the best but couldn't find much more than that.

gak0090

ophmarketing wrote:Yes, it's a proprietary 30-pin connector.

I had one of these for about a week, and it was nice enough--I've even gone back and forth on getting this one since the price is so great. But having to invest in an entirely new charging eco-system for a product that's basically on its way out is probably a deal breaker for me.

It's not really on the way out. Keating said that as announced earlier, Barnes & Noble will outsource production of new color tablets as it transitions to a "partnership model" for future Nook devices in order to save on manufacturing costs. The company will continue to make black-and-white e-readers.
http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/barnes-and-nobles-nook-not-going-away

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii
sdc100 wrote:The problem with eBay is that there is generally no warranty. Unless the seller is a bona fide store or company, most manufacturers won't honor the purchase for warranty. A key problem is that there is usually no true receipt or guarantee that the item is truly unused (refurbed is fine; used is not). Second, some companies only deal with "Authorized sellers."

Plenty of reputable and authorized sellers on ebay. You just need to look at the details provided in the description regarding warranty. Woot is also sometimes not an "authorized seller".

laalaa123456789

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laalaa123456789

Beware of these reconditioned ones. My sister got one in May. By July it was fried at the site of the charger. She got it through Amazon. Neither Amazon nor Barnes and Noble would replace it. Unless you buy the "extra protection" (which is $55), you're out of luck after the 30 day warranty. That makes an $89 price tag no bargain.

cliffpeterson

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cliffpeterson
rill2503456 wrote:Umm...no. Amazon does not sell the Nook. People sell Nooks on Amazon, just like they would on ebay or any other online marketplace. But no, on amazon.com, the company Amazon does not sell the Nook. So, it could be taken as being noteworthy that Woot is.

Actually, it does, see this one, a Nook being sold by Amazon. Not "fulfilled by Amazon", either.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
cliffpeterson wrote:Actually, it does, see this one, a Nook being sold by Amazon. Not "fulfilled by Amazon", either.

@cliffpeterson, where does it say sold by Amazon at your link? Not seeing it. Only third parties using Amazon's storefront services - same thing for the alternative sources to the right - all third parties.

sdc100

quality posts: 508 Private Messages sdc100
cliffpeterson wrote:Actually, it does, see this one, a Nook being sold by Amazon. Not "fulfilled by Amazon", either.

Actually, it is only "fulfilled by Amazon." The seller is TechGiant. See screen capture.

confusedemmy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages confusedemmy
ksquaredny wrote:So, with Google Play, I should be able to get the kindle and overdrive apps on this nook and access my accounts/libraries, correct? Please clarify--thanks!!

Look! Here are instructions!!!
http://www.dplma.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Android-Overdrive-and-Kindle-Apps-including-Nook-Tablet.pdf

Great link if I do say so myself.

May have put me over the edge. I have an old Kindle keyboard that I adore, but it is getting a little fritzy... I got a refurb Fire for my sister and was jealous. This may be something I need to hit the button on... and maybe one for my husband? Hmmm.

confusedemmy

quality posts: 24 Private Messages confusedemmy
sdc100 wrote:Actually, it is only "fulfilled by Amazon." The seller is TechGiant. See screen capture.

And it's only $149 in the Nook store....

gak0090

confusedemmy wrote:And it's only $149 in the Nook store....

1saleaday had the Nook HD+ 9" for $110 refurbed. I had bought one at $120 refurbed a while ago, and it looked brand new when it shipped, so I bought 2 more the other day for $110. These will get Jelly Bean ROM (as I described in an earlier post) and be given as gifts.

gak0090

The Nook HD 7" is a great deal if you can do without GPS and camera(s). The resolution on the Nook HD is better than the 2012 model of the Nexus 7 (1440x900) vs (1280x800). The OMAP 4470 processor is similar in performance to the Tegra 3- the Tegra 3 would have an edge in game, but other multimedia would be similar. The Nook HD has an expandable SD slot and the Nexus does not. If you run Jellybean on this (as described on my earlier post- very easy to install)- this is the perfect cheap alternative to the Nexus 7 (2012). It's a very capable well-made piece of hardware. At this price is a no-brainer. This would be perfect for a kids tablet instead of buying those cheap junky Big Lots "deals".

alanhwoot

quality posts: 40 Private Messages alanhwoot

For someone that asked, Amazon's video app only runs on official Kindle devices. You can't watch Amazon video on other Android devices.

DeanZero

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DeanZero

Is the Nook still effectively locked-out if don't first have a B&N account to actually activate it?

If I wanted to use it straight out of the box to access Play, use the browser, etc, without doing that, is that possible?

renais

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renais
DeanZero wrote:Is the Nook still effectively locked-out if don't first have a B&N account to actually activate it?

If I wanted to use it straight out of the box to access Play, use the browser, etc, without doing that, is that possible?

What you can do with an unregistered Nook:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/what-you-can-do-with-an-unregistered-nook.html

ophmarketing

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ophmarketing
gak0090 wrote:It's not really on the way out. Keating said that as announced earlier, Barnes & Noble will outsource production of new color tablets as it transitions to a "partnership model" for future Nook devices in order to save on manufacturing costs. The company will continue to make black-and-white e-readers.
http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/barnes-and-nobles-nook-not-going-away

I'll believe that when I see this as-yet-unnamed "third-party vendor" they keep mentioning. B&N will keep the e-ink reader going for as long as they can, but I'd be very surprised if the new "partnership" model Nook tablet turns out to be anything but vaporware.

renais

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renais

I've bought the Nook Color & the Nook Tablet as refurbs and put an Android sd card in each. I never see the stock Nook side, but the Android side is terrific. Questions here make me want to chime in about the earlier versions. The only drawbacks for me were: no camera (didn't care); a weird proprietary cable that had to be replaced (free both times from B&N without fuss);and weak volume (fixed easily with Equalizer app). The Nook HD now on sale has a different connector, still proprietary, better than the old ones. Reading questions here makes me want to respond about my experiences: 1)SD card slot is a huge draw, something the competitors don't have. 2) N2Acards.com and AndroidforNook.com are both great & easy ways to get an Android tablet (although you can make your own). 3)First app to download should be an equalizer, which pumps up the volume. 4) Yes, you can listen & read at the same time. 5)Wi-fi is fine; I move my NookTablet from room to room to play the TuneIn app wirelessly. 6)Best source of leather cases is eBay.

pete1123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pete1123

I have the older Nook Tablet (not HD) and I highly recommend it. When I was comparing the Nook vs Kindle, a lot of people said the interface, without rooting, for the Nook was a lot better and I can say without a doubt this is 100% true. The SD slot is amazing - I load my movies and TV shows on a few cards and I'm ready to travel with everything I own to watch. Now that the whole Play store is open I'm seriously considering the upgrade here.

A side note for some people who have B&N Stores: They offer free best seller books while you are on their wi-fi. I'm not a big fan of sitting in a store/cafe that long, but the tree just outside a store is a great place to read the newest books.

dabird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dabird

I notice the description says 1 year warranty from B & N. But their standard recon warranty is 90 days. What gives?

buyerbeware

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buyerbeware
sdc100 wrote:For those who are less technical, or don't want to void their warranty, you don't have to replace the Nook Android. You can simply tell it to boot whatever flavor of Android you want, including Google's official version, off an SD card. The cheapest and easiest solution is to download Andoid-For-Nook (AFN) for $9.99.

Love the very informative Info section!

If I go the AFN route do I use the same card for storing books etc.? I'm a little unclear on this.

gak0090

dabird wrote:I notice the description says 1 year warranty from B & N. But their standard recon warranty is 90 days. What gives?

If B&N re-certifies it, they give it a 1 year warranty. I have bought 3 of the HD+ re-certified that carry the same 1 year warranty.

Every Certified Pre-Owned NOOK® is backed by a full one-year limited warranty, just like a brand-new NOOK®.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/certified-preowned-nook-help/379003688/

gak0090

buyerbeware wrote:If I go the AFN route do I use the same card for storing books etc.? I'm a little unclear on this.

The short answer is yes, but I'm not quite sure that you can access the memory on the Nook HD for storage. I have used the N2A (similar to the AFN), and although it works pretty well- the experience I had by actually replacing the Nook OS with Android using the Tablets memory was better. If you scroll up to a previous post where I include the youtube video- it has all the information. This is NOT hard to do at all. The instructions and the download you purchase for $13 are very straight forward, the whole process takes about 15 minutes. Then you end up with a tablet that is rooted running a Jelly bean ROM direct from its own memory- trust me this is a smooth experience. At the same time you apply this Jelly bean ROM, you also have the opportunity to back up your Nook OS, in case you ever want to restore it. Jelly Bean will be a much smoother experience running off the internal memory.

ohratts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohratts

My wife bought one earlier today and now I want one too. Anyone know if we buy another one on her account if we still get charged the $5 shipping? When we go to check out it seems to be charging it, but I was hoping Woot might catch it and ship them together or something... anyone?

Wooterologist

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Wooterologist

I wonder if anyone else who owns one of these Nook HDs has noticed that when you first take them out of the box, the plastic sleeve that contains the Nook and the Nook screen itself is covered in dirt and smudges? I unboxed 4 or 5 of these and they were all the same. YouTube unboxing vids show the same marks and smudges on new items, but no one mentions it and I find that odd, or is it just me? Also 2 of the ones I unboxed personally had defects on the bezel (coming away from the screen), so I have become wary of the quality.

DeanZero wrote:Is the Nook still effectively locked-out if don't first have a B&N account to actually activate it?

I'm genuinely curious: what would be the advantage to doing this and not just signing up for a free Nook account? I read @renais's reply http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5545890 and it seems like it makes no real difference if you register or don't, so now I'm confused.