WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

VIZIO 1080p LED Smart TV of Your Choice!

Speed to First Woot:
3m 28.333s
First Sucker:
ReverendChile
Last Wooter to Woot:
kingfisherb90
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 50% of Woot.com Woots
Top 27% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 13% of Woot.com Woots
Top 9% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 23% first woot
  • 10% second woot
  • 28% < 10 woots
  • 19% < 25 woots
  • 20% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 16% joined today
  • 2% one week old
  • 5% one month old
  • 11% one year old
  • 66% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

6%
4%
3%
2%
1%
4%
8%
11%
12%
13%
11%
7%
3%
2%
1%
2%
2%
1%
1%
1%
0%
1%
1%
1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2838 Private Messages lichme

Item: VIZIO 1080p LED Smart TV of Your Choice!
Price: $1,299.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

Here's a c|net review of the 70" model.

312c

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 312c

Save your money, aside from being refurbs the reason Vizio is so cheap is because they are frankenstein TVs, pieced together from boards and screens that didn't pass LG's quality standards.

bcarr123

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bcarr123

I bought a 32 inch about 3 or 4 months ago and I love it. 13 pounds, thin, awesome picture and gets Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube and more! I love everything about it except the sound, which is not very good.

I would buy another if I needed one! Good bang for the buck!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3454 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of solid reviews (4.1 out of 5.0) on the 70" model over at amazon

conanthelibrarian

Very good reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) on the 70" model over at bestbuy.com

conanthelibrarian

Some additional info on the 42" model can be found over at the product page

Great reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) on the 42" model can be found over at walmart.com

nathangey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathangey

If only I had an infinite Woot! fund.

stans39

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stans39

I think something is wrong with those
Pixel/Dot Pitch numbers?

rdclark2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rdclark2

Consumer Reports: "Westinghouse is the most repair-prone brand of flat panel LCD TVs. That's what we found when we asked about more than 161,000 flat panel LCD and plasma TVs purchased by our readers between 2009 and 2013. The graph shows the percentage of models for each brand that were repaired or had a serious problem. Differences of less than 3 points aren't meaningful, and we've adjusted the data to eliminate differences linked solely to the age of the TV. Models within a brand can vary, and design or manufacture changes might affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good repair history can improve your odds of getting a reliable model."

Vizio as a brand (at 4%) is tied with or within one point of every other major brand sold in the US, in this survey. Say what you want about Consumer Reports, but it's a fact that this is the only actual data about the reliability of TVs available to consumers.

Personally, i own or have installed four Vizios, the oldest three years ago. All continue to perform flawlessly.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

stans39 wrote:I think something is wrong with those
Pixel/Dot Pitch numbers?

Can you supply an example? I just doubled checked two of the particular model numbers and the data matches up.

dafoxup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dafoxup

Why is Vizio getting a bad rap?? I am so tempted to get the 70incher...ALTHOUGH I am more tempted to get it from Amazon who is selling it BRAND NEW for a couple hundreds more if you guys are worried about the "refurb" tag but I just wanted to say that I am one of the original Vizio owners out there. I have been using my 47in LCD not so thin like TVs are now...and its the best TV I have ever owned and looks fantastic and still performs just as it did on day 1 (this is at least 6 years ago...at least). I love this brand of TV.

Yeah when I first heard of it when I was shopping for my first LCD TV I was nervous but I did my research on professional reviews and they all had great things to say about it and as you see reviews by people support this!

You guys should totally do it!

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

I was just drooling over the 80" model at Costco..for $3500.
When my current Sony 70" finally dies, and is Not worth repairing...I hope to find a nice newer, and bigger Home Theater here, because I NEED IT!

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

nleksan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nleksan
ROGETRAY wrote:Can you supply an example? I just doubled checked two of the particular model numbers and the data matches up.

70" :: 0.802 x 0.802mm
65" :: 0.744 x 0.744mm
55" :: 0.21 x 0.21mm
47" :: 0.541 x 0.541mm
42" :: 0.483 x 0.483mm
39" :: 0.444 x 0.444mm
24" :: 0.271 x 0.271mm

Look at the 55" numbers.... That is a smaller pixel pitch than my 21.5" 1080p monitors and pretty much the same as my 27" 2560x1440p monitors... So a display literally half the size with ~2x the pixels has the same pixel density???

ewaldjw

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ewaldjw
rdclark2 wrote:Consumer Reports: "Westinghouse is the most repair-prone brand of flat panel LCD TVs. That's what we found when we asked about more than 161,000 flat panel LCD and plasma TVs purchased by our readers between 2009 and 2013. The graph shows the percentage of models for each brand that were repaired or had a serious problem. Differences of less than 3 points aren't meaningful, and we've adjusted the data to eliminate differences linked solely to the age of the TV. Models within a brand can vary, and design or manufacture changes might affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good repair history can improve your odds of getting a reliable model."

Vizio as a brand (at 4%) is tied with or within one point of every other major brand sold in the US, in this survey. Say what you want about Consumer Reports, but it's a fact that this is the only actual data about the reliability of TVs available to consumers.

Personally, i own or have installed four Vizios, the oldest three years ago. All continue to perform flawlessly.

^Quality Post

Also, I agree. All of my Vizios have been awesome!

13 - Woots
1 - Accessories.woot
1 - Tech.woot
2 - Home.woots
3 - Sport.woots
26 - Shirt.woots
3 - Sellout.woots

N6VMO

quality posts: 2 Private Messages N6VMO
nleksan wrote:70" :: 0.802 x 0.802mm

Look at the 55" numbers.... That is a smaller pixel pitch than my 21.5" 1080p monitors and pretty much the same as my 27" 2560x1440p monitors... So a display literally half the size with ~2x the pixels has the same pixel density???

The way I understand it,the 55" has a smaller space between pixels. All these Visio models have the same resolution, 1920 x 1080 pixels. The 55" just packs them closer. But, you don't get something for nothing, the pixels have to be larger.

Dot pitch, or "pixel pitch," is a measurement that defines the sharpness of a monitor's display. It measures the distance between the dots that display the image on the screen. This distance is very small and is typically measured in fractions of millimeters. The smaller the dot pitch, the sharper the picture. Dot pitch applies to both CRT monitors and flat-screen displays. While some large-screen CRTs have dot-pitches as high as 0.51 mm, most computer displays have a dot pitch between 0.25 and 0.28 mm. Similarly, most LCD displays have a dot pitch between 0.20 and 0.28 mm. Some high-end displays used for scientific or medical imagery have dot pitches as low as 0.15 mm. These displays usually cost several times as much as consumer displays of the same size. While the terms "dot pitch" and "resolution" are related, they have different meanings. A display's resolution refers to how many pixels can be displayed on the screen. For example, a 20" monitor may have a maximum resolution of 1680 x 1050 pixels. When a display is set to its native resolution (typically the maximum resolution), it may display exactly one pixel per dot. However, if the resolution is reduced, the pixels will be larger than the dots used to display the image on the screen. In this case, each pixel is mapped onto multiple dots.

factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum
N6VMO wrote:The way I understand it,the 55" has a smaller space between pixels. All these Visio models have the same resolution, 1920 x 1080 pixels. The 55" just packs them closer. But, you don't get something for nothing, the pixels have to be larger.

You misunderstand.

nleksan is correct. There is no way a consumer-grade 55" TV panel has a .21mm dot pitch. In fact, a cursory search reveals that 55" Vizios have a 0.541mm dot pitch.

dlinskey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlinskey

Never buy a refurb TV when you have to pay shipping for RMA. Ultimately, there is no savings. If you get burned twice you'll pay more than full retail. Shipping and insurance on a tv will kill the deal. If the vendor, not VIZIO, does a quality refurb, they would stand by the product and will provide shipping. They're expecting a certain percentage returned. its a disappointment that WOOT offers crap deals designed to screw a select percentage of their customers

Jayrookie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie
312c wrote:Save your money, aside from being refurbs the reason Vizio is so cheap is because they are frankenstein TVs, pieced together from boards and screens that didn't pass LG's quality standards.

100% wrong. People like this are the reason people have a cloudy perception towards Vizio. I have the 70" and would put it up against 90% of TVs as far as quality goes.

keitht56

quality posts: 1 Private Messages keitht56

55" is $40 more at Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/23565840?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227917324509&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=27477420756&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=50120303470&veh=sem) for a new one. Not buying a refurb for$40 less. Scary proposition!

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

the 70 inch just isn't that good of a deal at all. $1598 at my walmart right now new. with their return policy and the one year warranty.

shipping an 80 lb tv back plus the weight of the packaging doesn't sound good at all.

I always did like yardsales.

mfbourb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mfbourb

Do not buy the refurb Visio LED Smart TVs! I got the 47" one and it had bad flashlighting in the corners. I sent it in to get fixed/replaced, and the fly by night refurb center sent me another TV that had EVEN worse flashlighting!! Absolutely ridiculous. On top of it all, I had to pay the $110 shipping for two defective TVs. Buyer beware with this technological purchase. All in all, if I would have gone to Sam's to get one, I would have paid the same price and got a perfect TV. I will think hard before I ever buy another TV from Woot!!

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
312c wrote:Save your money, aside from being refurbs the reason Vizio is so cheap is because they are frankenstein TVs, pieced together from boards and screens that didn't pass LG's quality standards.

Most TV's are "Frankenstein" TV's- there are only a few manufacturers of flat panels. The manufacturers buy the parts and put them together just like they do with laptops. You think LG is there making their own processors, power supplies?

I believe that Visio uses Sharp's panels anyway- so I don't know what that would have to do with being LG's rejects.

I have both an LG and a Visio and they are both great TV's.

paholzha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paholzha

wow, $149.00 to $1299.00? That's quite a price range Senor Woot.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
factotum wrote:You misunderstand.

nleksan is correct. There is no way a consumer-grade 55" TV panel has a .21mm dot pitch. In fact, a cursory search reveals that 55" Vizios have a 0.541mm dot pitch.

That makes a lot more sense. probably just a misprint. The 0.541mm would fall in perfectly.

willup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willup

I have two Vizio TV's with zero issues. One 60" exactly like the one in this posting, and a 24" LED. My buddy who owns a Samsung TV with the same refresh rate as these TV, and LED as well has very noticeable Ghosting on the screen, as where my Vizio has zero. If I ever need another TV its going to be a Vizio. Have no clue why you want to knock this Brand. By all means pay 50% more for a well known name brand. Vizio has the same performance for the best price.

starmanbackwards

quality posts: 6 Private Messages starmanbackwards
Batman4oz wrote:I was just drooling over the 80" model at Costco..for $3500.
When my current Sony 70" finally dies, and is Not worth repairing...I hope to find a nice newer, and bigger Home Theater here, because I NEED IT!

^^X^^

You get what you pay for but SONY is the only way to fly...the color difference / quality is noticeable when yoou view their Televisions...due to cost of Sonys i had to settle for a lower (Sharp)brand but my next one will be SONY

fortuneoffate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fortuneoffate
Batman4oz wrote:I was just drooling over the 80" model at Costco..for $3500.

^^X^^

Esh man really? need it? you have a 70 already and you NEED it bigger? i wish i had your problems... O_o

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
starmanbackwards wrote:You get what you pay for but SONY is the only way to fly...the color difference / quality is noticeable when yoou view their Televisions...due to cost of Sonys i had to settle for a lower (Sharp)brand but my next one will be SONY

@starmanbackwards, can't let that Sony love comment slip by without a counter. Sony reliability is horrible. 20+ years ago - great, bullet proof stuff. No longer. During the latter CRT TV years the tuners failed like crazy (we had it happen to three different Sonys). Friends and colleagues reported similar experience over the years.

Then we (foolishly) tried a flat panel Sony about 2 years ago. Fail. Luckily we bought it from Costco. No more Sony TVs for this home!

Sony is trading on their past good name. Even tho some of their models have great picture quality, the price premium no longer makes sense.

Weezknight

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Weezknight

Hate reading all of these people with good VIZIO experiences. Makes me feel like I have the worst luck.

I've owned 2 VIZIO LED TV's, and both were shot within 2 years. One was even in a room where it got very little use.

Same thing happened to both of them: Half the LED panel went out, leaving one half of the screen dimmer than the other. To replace the LED board was within $50 of buying a new TV.

Good to hear some have had quality experiences, but, IMO, VIZIO is far too hit or miss to lay down serious cash.

k0ugs

quality posts: 6 Private Messages k0ugs

Argh, I snoozed; I loozed. The 23" would have made a great home office monitor.

(>.<)\m/

tdn117

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdn117

You tell folks to save their money because Vizios don't "pass LG's quality standards"? What's that based on?

How about I offer my personal experience. I purchased two Vizio HDTV's several years ago and both have worked great from day 1. Now, your experience may not mirror mine. But if you think this is a good deal, I certainly wouldn't shy away from it just because it's a Vizio!

Masterface7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Masterface7

Do the remotes for these tv's have a dedicated channel list button for those of us going with over-the-air broadcast for programming?

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

I'd feel a lot better buying an expensive tech item that was Factory Recertified and backed by a Factory Warranty vs. some unknown third party refurber.

One method I'd use to evaluate price: multiply the likelihood it will need to be returned times the price difference between new and used. Compare that to the cost to get the used one swapped/fixed/returned.

Example: save $200 with the used price X 25% likelihood of failure (who knows, a guess. I'm sure woot would claim it is less than 5% but I'd personally use a much higher number for an individual) = $50. Can you repair it or ship it back for $50?

In any case, the Square Trade warranty seems like a no brainer on any of these TVs priced over $300-400.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

nleksan wrote:70" :: 0.802 x 0.802mm

Wonderful Eric checked the manual. For the 55" it says:

0.21mm (H) x 0.63mm (V)

The specs have been updated to reflect this.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA

I bought one of these refurbs last week and it was crap right out of the box. I'm waiting on an RMA for repair.

Save your money on these.

I have a 7 year old vizio at home that is starting to die.

Ultravibe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ultravibe

Does anyone know if it comes with the remote featured about halfway down this page: http://www.vizio.com/technology/via/

Full QWERTY keypad on back?!

jahdish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jahdish

Picked up a 70" in the last wootoff and couldn't be happier. TV was packaged very well and picture is great. I have numerous (26",2-32", 60",70") Vizios in my house, 2 bought new and other 3 refurbs from Woot and they all work perfect.

mdebreceni

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mdebreceni

Our 42 inch plasma died yesterday, so this is quite a timely deal.

I asked my wife if we should go for it, and she said yes. As for size, she told me she's fine with the same size, as long as it works. At the same time, she wouldn't complain about a new one that was a little bigger--just not too big.

In for one 47 inch TV. I hope that's what she meant.