hhorders

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hhorders

Costco has the 39 inch for 40 bucks more. So spend an extra 40 bucks for a brand new at Costco. I suspect the other sizes are about the same =
- spend a few bucks more and get a Costco warranty without the woot/square trade hassles.

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&keyword=vizio

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

Vizio is an interesting company. It designs, markets, and distributes its products. It does not make any of its products. It contacts out the manufacture, mostly to one Chinese contract manufacturer. Clearly they are a 'thin' company, choosing to keep overhead low so they can sell at low prices. Vizio is a American company.

A well respected company with a similar basic business model that does not manufacture its own products: Apple. But clearly Apple spends a lot more energy and $ doing it.

If you've seen Vizio's PC, clearly they can design nice looking stuff. They just need to mature a bit with their consistency & quality control. With Vizio at least you're buying American if it matters where a company is based and who owns it.

hdugas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hdugas

Any way to ensure the shipping carriers don't toss it around? I ordered a Philips TV from here a few weeks ago and it was busted before I got it out of the box. Thanks, Fedex.

smakcc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smakcc
SneezyKevinA wrote:I bought one of these refurbs last week and it was crap right out of the box. I'm waiting on an RMA for repair.

Save your money on these.

I have a 7 year old vizio at home that is starting to die.

You've had that TV for 7 years? Vizio must be a good buy then!

bluemaple

hhorders wrote:Costco has the 39 inch for 40 bucks more. So spend an extra 40 bucks for a brand new at Costco. I suspect the other sizes are about the same =
- spend a few bucks more and get a Costco warranty without the woot/square trade hassles.

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&keyword=vizio

@hhorders, not seeing that price - they have tons of Vizio TVs but the 39 inch one that looks the same to me is +$80 ($399.99), not +$40. (Not fair to compare the non-smart model at Costco to the smart one here on woot.)

And while Costco has free shipping, you also pay sales tax since Costco has locations in most states.

smakcc

mdebreceni wrote:...As for size, she told me she's fine with the same size, as long as it works. At the same time, she wouldn't complain about a new one that was a little bigger--just not too big.

In for one 47 inch TV. I hope that's what she meant...

Are we still talking about TV here?

mdebreceni

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mdebreceni
smakcc wrote:Are we still talking about TV here?

Yes, absolutely!

Though it's unusual for her to be this excited about buying expensive electronics.

fortuneoffate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fortuneoffate

I notice that only the 70" and 24" have a vga port this makes me sad. That 55" is the perfect price and size for me if only all the inputs were there.

Strick28

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Strick28

Ah some will pay tax here also. Costco TVs come with 2 year warranty and for about 50 bucks(depending on price of TV) you can add another 3 years.

bluemaple wrote:@hhorders, not seeing that price - they have tons of Vizio TVs but the 39 inch one that looks the same to me is +$80 ($399.99), not +$40. (Not fair to compare the non-smart model at Costco to the smart one here on woot.)

And while Costco has free shipping, you also pay sales tax since Costco has locations in most states.

billchase2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages billchase2

Darn. Missed the 42".

mdebreceni

I'm looking forward to the extra HDMI inputs and built-in sound that works. Our old TV had one HDMI input, and the sound didn't work (thanks to a lightning strike a couple of years ago). We had to do all A/V switching and sound playback through our home theater.

Now, we can leave the home theater off when not watching movies. This means that when the kids are watching Spongebob or Digimon, it will no longer be with room filling sound and earth shaking bass.

Also, this means we can get rid of our Roku, freeing up an HDMI port as well as a power outlet. Simplify! Declutter!

Totally a sensible purchase!

mwm5342

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwm5342

In my excitement of ordering the 42 incher, I forgot to update my shipping address. Submitted a ticket, but does anyone have similar experiences that knows if they'll be able to update the address in time for shipment? Seems rather urgent, I don't want this television going to my previous home which is in another state!

jokezone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jokezone

Can anyone confirm the actual voltage on these things? I need it to work in Europe, but the specs say 120VAC. I have seen it before (sony PS3) where the specs say 120, but the power supply says 100-240V. I do n0t want to use a transformer with this. Thanks!

Woots-to-date: 21 (48 items) (I'm going to heaven!)
Notable Woots:
11/17/2006 Random carp x3 (1x Samsonite video camera bag, 1x Laptop power supply, 1x Thermos beer mug, 1x Light-up spinning christmas tree)
10/13/2006 Random carp x3 (1x Samsonite Carry-all, 1x Logitech Gamepad for Nuon, 1x Robo Raptor, 2x Thumbdrive locks)
7/12/2006 Random carp x3 (1x Samsonite Carry-all, 1x Logitech PC headset, 1x TDK Imaspeaker CD case, 1x "Hardly Working" book)

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
ThunderThighs wrote:Wonderful Eric checked the manual. For the 55" it says:

0.21mm (H) x 0.63mm (V)

The specs have been updated to reflect this.

Wonderful Eric must have read a misprint. It's 0.63mm x 0.63mm

See the specs on this similar model

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-55-Class-LCD-1080p-120Hz-HDTV-E550VL/13904842

Edit- it would be odd that this model would have a different H & V dot pitch when all the other models have the same number for both the H & V.

den7147

quality posts: 0 Private Messages den7147

Now I want to purchase the 47...woot says I can get a warranty from squaretrade for 1yr for 68.99.

I called ST to verify this and they told me they will not cover refurbished items from woot.

What is the truth here and why is woot linking to ST if they won't cover the item??

Can anyone from woot field this??

kkd01

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kkd01

I have the 32" Vizio LED smart TV and it is amazing. No complaints aside from the remote buttons a are a little small, but not a deterrent!

Also, I bought a 47" Vizio LCD refurb from Woot years back, and it still has the same amazing picture that it had when I got it. Never be afraid to get a refurb. The reason Im not buying one of these deals is that I already have Vizio's in every room, and they all work flawlessly.

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA
smakcc wrote:You've had that TV for 7 years? Vizio must be a good buy then!

My Sony Bravia is older and has no issues.

gak0090

SneezyKevinA wrote:My Sony Bravia is older and has no issues.

Which one actually got more use though?...be honest

SneezyKevinA

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SneezyKevinA
gak0090 wrote:Which one actually got more use though?...be honest

The Bravia gets used almost daily. It's the 53" in our basement. The Vizio is in our bedroom, we use it once or twice a week.

So I got an RMA for the once I got last week from WOOT and they are saying it only has a 30 day warranty.....

1ltkls

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 1ltkls
den7147 wrote:Now I want to purchase the 47...woot says I can get a warranty from squaretrade for 1yr for 68.99.

I called ST to verify this and they told me they will not cover refurbished items from woot.

What is the truth here and why is woot linking to ST if they won't cover the item??

If this is true today, was it also true yesterday for the refurb Nook tablet w Square Trade warrantee linked on the woot page. If they took my $ and aren't warranting it, that'll suxxors.

11/17/2006 RANDOM CRSorry, we're sold out of this item or don't have enough blah blah blah.
11/17/2006 RoboRaptor Platinum Robo Dino
11/17/2006 LeakFrog (3!)
10/17/2006 jWIN AM/FM Radio Headphones: 2-fer
10/13/2006 HP Premium Plus 4×6 Photo Paper
08/18/2006 SanDisk 256MB MP3/WMA, FM, Voice Rec.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

den7147 wrote:Now I want to purchase the 47...woot says I can get a warranty from squaretrade for 1yr for 68.99.

You have to use the link on our sale page to purchase the warranty. We are an authorized seller of SqTr warranties for refurbished products purchased through us.

I'm gonna say you got someone that didn't know what they were talking about.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

hdugas wrote:Any way to ensure the shipping carriers don't toss it around? I ordered a Philips TV from here a few weeks ago and it was busted before I got it out of the box. Thanks, Fedex.

We work with our vendors on shipping issues. Unfortunately, a few incidents do occur. I'm sorry yours was one. Our shipping damage rate is extremely low. It's a curse of the internet that people are more willing to post when they're unhappy than when they're happy.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

mwm5342 wrote:In my excitement of ordering the 42 incher, I forgot to update my shipping address. Submitted a ticket, but does anyone have similar experiences that knows if they'll be able to update the address in time for shipment? Seems rather urgent, I don't want this television going to my previous home which is in another state!

We release orders every couple hours. The best thing to do is to cancel your order and reorder the TV. You can do this in the first 15 minutes.

I'm figuring it's too late for that now. I'll see if I can get somebody in CS. It's after a holiday weekend though.....

FORUM MODERATOR

gak0090

SneezyKevinA wrote:The Bravia gets used almost daily. It's the 53" in our basement. The Vizio is in our bedroom, we use it once or twice a week.

So I got an RMA for the once I got last week from WOOT and they are saying it only has a 30 day warranty.....

I've got a 60 inch Vizio that I've had for about 7 months now- love it, works great (but only 7 months of use). The technology is better on these sets now and even the lower discount brands have decent performance and longevity. It seems that Vizio's quality control has improved a bit over the last few years. Sorry about your luck on the refurb. I always make the purchase of a Big screen TV's at Sam's or Costco- pay a little more, but never have any issues returning it.

khufu413

quality posts: 12 Private Messages khufu413
mdebreceni wrote:Our 42 inch plasma died yesterday, so this is quite a timely deal.

I asked my wife if we should go for it, and she said yes. As for size, she told me she's fine with the same size, as long as it works. At the same time, she wouldn't complain about a new one that was a little bigger--just not too big.

In for one 47 inch TV. I hope that's what she meant.

Yeah don't worry, she's okay with an extra five inches.

Because a bigger tv is always better.

alro3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alro3000

you have to get permission from your wife to buy a TV? and size doesn't matter? LOL !!!

TGPhilly666

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TGPhilly666

I've had a lot of success with the Vizio brand going back a little over 6 years. I've never had a problem with any of my four Vizio TVs.

I would caution against buying these particular sets, though. These prices, for refurbished goods, are just terrible. Not Woot worthy at all. The 55" can be had new for $40-$50 more. The 70" can be had for $200 more. IMHO, that's not nearly enough of a discount to justify the risk.

dvyi83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dvyi83
Jayrookie wrote:100% wrong. People like this are the reason people have a cloudy perception towards Vizio. I have the 70" and would put it up against 90% of TVs as far as quality goes.

I own 2 Vizios, and some other cheap lcd's and then a 60" samsung 3d led. The samsung is completely noticeably better than any cheaper range tv. My vizio is older, but it has been horrible. It actually popped and broke one time which I ended up fixing myself by changing out 2 boards that I ordered on ebay. It seemed to be a common problem, and would have cost 850 to fix. I did it myself for 350. I have friends that have had older Vizio models that were also terrible quality. They have software issues and problems turning on and off. My older vizio also has problems turning on or off, plus it is hot and loud. Brand new Vizios may have a better build quality but the older ones were awful, and even still the quality doesnt compare to lg/samsung/sony today.

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth
jahdish wrote:Picked up a 70" in the last wootoff and couldn't be happier. TV was packaged very well and picture is great. I have numerous (26",2-32", 60",70") Vizios in my house, 2 bought new and other 3 refurbs from Woot and they all work perfect.

do you just use tv's as virtual paintings, as in Bill Gates mansion, that change to person's taste as they walk in the room by reading RFID tag?

smakcc

billchase2 wrote:Darn. Missed the 42".

I know that terrible feeling in the pit of the stomach! Missed a 50" for 469.00 two weeks ago. Its $659.00 today!

tyriss

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tyriss

Looking for a new TV that will work well for PC gaming a la Big Picture Mode. Anyone have experience doing so with these? Also, I see the response time listed for all of these is in the single digits, which should be great for gaming, but they are all smart TVs, correct? I was under the impression that smart TVs typically have much poorer response times (say in the 20 or 30s.) I am not a super techie person, so any input or info on this would be very welcome.

smakcc

mdebreceni wrote:I'm looking forward to the extra HDMI inputs and built-in sound that works. Our old TV had one HDMI input, and the sound didn't work (thanks to a lightning strike a couple of years ago). We had to do all A/V switching and sound playback through our home theater.

Now, we can leave the home theater off when not watching movies. This means that when the kids are watching Spongebob or Digimon, it will no longer be with room filling sound and earth shaking bass.

Also, this means we can get rid of our Roku, freeing up an HDMI port as well as a power outlet. Simplify! Declutter!

Totally a sensible purchase!

Got the 47...Wanted the 55 but not for that price especially when it sold a week ago for $469.00 right here on Woot!

mdebreceni

smakcc wrote:Got the 47...Wanted the 55 but not for that price especially when it sold a week ago for $469.00 right here on Woot!

Now you tell me! This makes me wish our old TV crapped out a couple of weeks ago.

bluemaple

BTW, woot, thanks for posting the prices in a list form right up front on the features tab - very helpful. (Drop-down only is a pain.)

mdebreceni

alro3000 wrote:you have to get permission from your wife to buy a TV? and size doesn't matter? LOL !!!

Naah.... you can call it that if you want. It's just good manners not to surprise each other with $400 purchases.

Once she saw the prices, getting a bigger TV was her idea.

redspecial

quality posts: 5 Private Messages redspecial

I did the same thing about a year ago, and immediately contacted woot. They refused to change the shipping address. Best of luck to you.

mwm5342 wrote:In my excitement of ordering the 42 incher, I forgot to update my shipping address. Submitted a ticket, but does anyone have similar experiences that knows if they'll be able to update the address in time for shipment? Seems rather urgent, I don't want this television going to my previous home which is in another state!

Da5id

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Da5id
hdugas wrote:Any way to ensure the shipping carriers don't toss it around? I ordered a Philips TV from here a few weeks ago and it was busted before I got it out of the box. Thanks, Fedex.

Don't sign for trashed packaging. Amazon used to set it up and take it back if doa or faulty out of the box.

skemmis

quality posts: 15 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

Can I play "Earthbound" on it?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

skemmis wrote:Can I play "Earthbound" on it?

tsnyder1958

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tsnyder1958

Really! Pictures of 3 TV models using the same image? Not good.