WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Assuming pay, hours, and other working conditions are the same, would you rather be a manager or an employee?
  • 35.3% - A manager 762
  • 44.2% - An employee 954
  • 6.4% - Either 138
  • 14.1% - Neither 305
2159 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

icthulhu

quality posts: 6 Private Messages icthulhu

I tend to be a bit OCD, so when (for instance) I want to do something in my shop, I like to have a jig to make it be done exactly right. And I naturally overthink projects so that I have alternate scenarios at hand if things go wrong and alternate resources available if needed.

As an individual contributor, this is wild overkill and makes me much less productive than someone who just "goes for it" [though much less likely to burn down the building]. But as management for 1-20 people, it works really, really well. My guys will totally shine because they'll have what they need when they need it, and there will be a clear, safe method to crank out production efficiently.

mistyeyedone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mistyeyedone

Neither, I prefer to be the owner

entouragevol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages entouragevol

I managed a grocery store for 5 years. Hated every second of it.

mikebfromnc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikebfromnc

Being a manager that gets paid basically what my employees get paid, I think it would be nice to only have to worry about my job and not that of 16 other "adults".

bblhed

quality posts: 6 Private Messages bblhed

If I have to oversee several people that are going to resent me no mater how good I treat them, tell these people bad news, make them do things they don't want to do, have to hire and fire these people and on top of that I can be fired if they do not do a good job I would want to be compensated accordingly.

Rapture2k1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rapture2k1

I was an Office Manager for 4+ years and just now assumed the role of Supervisor.
My day starts early and ends late, my phone is averaging 2+ hours of calls a day not counting a landline, 66 employees report primarily to me, I hear and deal with the good and the bad.
The stress is immense. You can coordinate a project for a solid hour and polish procedure to perfection and in a minute's time have it collapse.
You know what rocks? The pay, benefits, and perks. A Manager's pay scale is mediocre. I've never seen a salary be doubled like this and that's not including the perks. I'll see my first direct deposit tomorrow morning and realize despite the cons, money does help solve problems and that's a fact.
I'm constantly challenged every day. If I'm not, something is very wrong. I'm happy.

lobo81865

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lobo81865

I am just fine being a peon, and a decently paid one at that. I couldn't handle the stress of being a supervisor.

bandy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bandy

My answer to the poll was 'Manager' even though I very much dislike having to do employee evaluations. After so many years as a commissioned officer in the military I tend to be a 'take charge' type of individual so management suits me best.

Steve Bandy

ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan

I actually JUST made this decision, literally 3 days ago. I had two offers from two different companies, with the same pay and same hours, and decided that management was too much of a pain. It was a really difficult decision, but it seems to be working out.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981
lobo81865 wrote:I am just fine being a peon, and a decently paid one at that. I couldn't handle the stress of being a supervisor.

Yep, I'm fine being a peon as well.

spitfire6006006

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spitfire6006006

Pretty bad social anxiety, I'd never want to be in charge of other people

gjbloom

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gjbloom

A worker's performance is mostly in their own hands. A manager's performance is in the hands of his workers. So a manager can do everything right, be supportive, set clear goals, remove obstacles, etc. and still end up getting dinged in their performance review because workers aren't producing.

It may be that one worker is going through a divorce, another has become sluggish from diabetes, while another has just fallen deeply in love and spends his day wooing and cooing on the phone.

For the same pay, there's no way I'd take on all that responsibility and simultaneously give up all control over my ability to achieve what's expected of me.

andy32pinkerton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages andy32pinkerton

Red tape and managerial tasks suck. My boss complains all the time about how all he does is sit on the phone for Upper Management updates, approve things, and direct. I am a hands on person and want to do actual work, not just glorified pencil pushing. Granted, I cant wait to get managerial pay, but for the purpose of this question, peon it is!

avontron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avontron
mistyeyedone wrote:Neither, I prefer to be the owner

Exactly.

megabite6d9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages megabite6d9

Did the whole management thing for a couple of years and hated it. I'm more of a "hands on" kind of guy and less of the "Let's meet for 6 hrs a day" type. Usually I would just sit in the meeting and just perform the task while they sat there deciding how to delegate. Huge waste of man hours. Half the time you could tell managers were just throwing in "changes" to things not broken to try and justify their job.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

Being either would require actually having a job... which I don't want any part of. I can make plenty of money doing various computer-related work on my own. No boss necessary.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I'd rather be the multi-billionaire.
Trillionaire?
Gazillionaire?

marvpete

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marvpete
bblhed wrote:If I have to oversee several people that are going to resent me no mater how good I treat them, tell these people bad news, make them do things they don't want to do, have to hire and fire these people and on top of that I can be fired if they do not do a good job I would want to be compensated accordingly.

marvpete

cycokiller wrote:Being either would require actually having a job... which I don't want any part of. I can make plenty of money doing various computer-related work on my own. No boss necessary.

marvpete

marvpete wrote:

Your boss is the consumer. Nice idea, we'll call it supply and demand economics.

marvpete

gjbloom wrote:A worker's performance is mostly in their own hands. A manager's performance is in the hands of his workers. So a manager can do everything right, be supportive, set clear goals, remove obstacles, etc. and still end up getting dinged in their performance review because workers aren't producing.

It may be that one worker is going through a divorce, another has become sluggish from diabetes, while another has just fallen deeply in love and spends his day wooing and cooing on the phone.

For the same pay, there's no way I'd take on all that responsibility and simultaneously give up all control over my ability to achieve what's expected of me.

It's a calling. I enjoy it.

marvpete

avontron wrote:Exactly.

Bingo!

ehl2828

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehl2828

I retired in my 40's with a pension that started immediately for the rest of my life unless the economy crashes. I now also manage some office buildings so all is good until dollar collapses...