WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Freshwater Pearls

Ah, the story of pearls. One moment they're sitting in the shells oysters, on the ocean sea bed, covered with salt and grime, and then, next thing they know they're being worn to fancy parties with fancy dresses and such. How far they've come!

enaych

quality posts: 5 Private Messages enaych

It's nice to see Woot offering this variety of lengths. Too often I see deals on pears where the necklace is only 15" long--just enough to choke a lot of women.

The 64" length is especially fun, as it can be doubled up with the lengths the same or varied, either by putting them over the head or by connecting them with a special clasp. Here's a page with lots of fun ideas.

http://www.stylishpetite.com/2013/03/21-ways-to-wear-60-long-strand-pearl.html

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.

crkendall1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crkendall1

Anywhere we can find information on the quality of these pearls? (e.g. the A - rating on them).

mom2hapakids

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mom2hapakids

Why is the 48" pink necklace more than the 64" pink necklace?

yumiko

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yumiko
mom2hapakids wrote:Why is the 48" pink necklace more than the 64" pink necklace?

Hi, buyer here. The 48" has bigger-sized pearls at 10-11mm while the 64" one has 7-8mm - sized pearls. Hope that helps!

yumiko

crkendall1 wrote:Anywhere we can find information on the quality of these pearls? (e.g. the A - rating on them).

Hey, buyer here. We played with the samples and they felt heavy and sturdy to me!

sbudnic1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbudnic1

colour me stupid, I'm curious why this isn't in "accessories and watches"? I can understand some things can be indefinable but necklaces are clearly accessories. (same with the handbags).

I just wanted to know, is all.

rise0phe08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rise0phe08

Do you think the 48" is enough to wrap around 3 times - so there are 3 rows in the necklace. Do you have experience with that? Or would it only work with 64"?

enaych wrote:It's nice to see Woot offering this variety of lengths. Too often I see deals on pears where the necklace is only 15" long--just enough to choke a lot of women.

The 64" length is especially fun, as it can be doubled up with the lengths the same or varied, either by putting them over the head or by connecting them with a special clasp. Here's a page with lots of fun ideas.

http://www.stylishpetite.com/2013/03/21-ways-to-wear-60-long-strand-pearl.html

ugrasse2

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ugrasse2
rise0phe08 wrote:Do you think the 48" is enough to wrap around 3 times - so there are 3 rows in the necklace. Do you have experience with that? Or would it only work with 64"?

48 / 3 = 16. How big is your neck?

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK
ugrasse2 wrote:48 / 3 = 16. How big is your neck?

It doesn't look like the 48" strands have a clasp. So, the bigger question is, can it fit over your head if wrapped 3 times?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

sbudnic1 wrote:colour me stupid, I'm curious why this isn't in "accessories and watches"? I can understand some things can be indefinable but necklaces are clearly accessories. (same with the handbags).

I just wanted to know, is all.

think of great-tasting original Woot as "the best of the best" when it comes to our offers. it's where we spotlight our top deals from any site.

does that answer your question? hopefully that made sense.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

rise0phe08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rise0phe08

Hm, I will have to do some measuring. Thanks

CatCK wrote:It doesn't look like the 48" strands have a clasp. So, the bigger question is, can it fit over your head if wrapped 3 times?

bottomfeeder57

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bottomfeeder57
yumiko wrote:Hey, buyer here. We played with the samples and they felt heavy and sturdy to me!

How did they look in real life? (No, I would not be expecting Mikomoto quality cultured pearls at these prices.)

enaych

quality posts: 5 Private Messages enaych
rise0phe08 wrote:Hm, I will have to do some measuring. Thanks

If you plan to put them over your head, the 48" might not go 3 times since you'll need extra length to fit it over. But you could buy a special thing--sorry, I can't recall what it's called--but it's usually oval and opens with a hinge and clicks closed. It's used to join longer pearl strands which have been "folded" so they can go around your neck without putting them over your head. Some are decorative and can be worn with the joining visible in front at the bottom or side.

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.

yumiko

bottomfeeder57 wrote:How did they look in real life? (No, I would not be expecting Mikomoto quality cultured pearls at these prices.)

I actually liked them especially the pink mix and multi color ones. I was able to wrap them 2-3x around my neck and also tried knotting the ends. It reminded me that a plain top can look dressy with pearls ;-)

jtweetyone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jtweetyone

hey woot..... can you explain to me why the Sevil PN201 Freshwater Pearl Necklace and Earring Set w/ 14K Gold set lists a bracelet in the specs section? it isnt in the pic, it isnt in the title, and it isnt listed as being in the box..... so is there a mystery bracelet or what?

kirtmans718

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kirtmans718

Staff

jtweetyone wrote:hey woot..... can you explain to me why the Sevil PN201 Freshwater Pearl Necklace and Earring Set w/ 14K Gold set lists a bracelet in the specs section? it isnt in the pic, it isnt in the title, and it isnt listed as being in the box..... so is there a mystery bracelet or what?

Hi,

You are right. There is NO bracelet in the set. That part of the specs was a mistake. Thanks for pointing it out.

iwanderafar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages iwanderafar
yumiko wrote:Hey, buyer here. We played with the samples and they felt heavy and sturdy to me!

Pearls have quality rating that give us info on the surface quality (is it smooth or not), luster, number of blemishes, and shape. The answer you gave was not helpful. The information in the specs is abysmal.

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark

I didn't know much about pearls, so I went looking. If, like me, you know little about pearls, here are some links I found.

Freshwater vs saltwater http://charminarpearls.com/freshwater-pearls-and-saltwater-pearls/

For wearing pearls http://charminarpearls.com/6-rules-for-wearing-pearl-jewelry/

For taking care of pearls
http://www.luxist.com/2009/11/23/how-to-care-for-pearls/
Also, more detailed. . .
http://charminarpearls.com/clean-and-care-for-your-pearls/

Most of these links came from the Charminar Pearls site. I have no connection with them; they just seem to have the most informative blogs.

ksmm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksmm

About both the 48-inch "mostly pink" and the 64-inch grey and peacock strands ....

Are these pearls mostly round and uniformly so? The enlarged picture of the 48" "mostly pink" strand makes it look as if most of the pearls have flat sides as opposed to being round. Similarly, the enlarged picture of the grey and peacock strands seems to show pearls that are not smooth and round.

Are these enlarged photos accurate or just an artifact of the picture/lighting? Thanks.

morninglark

quality posts: 23 Private Messages morninglark
yumiko wrote:Hi, buyer here. The 48" has bigger-sized pearls at 10-11mm while the 64" one has 7-8mm - sized pearls. Hope that helps!

I've been doing research--maybe too much research--anyway for those of us who can't visualize the size here's a chart that shows pearl sizes compared to a penny.
http://www.pearldistributors.com/size-examples.php

And here's info on choosing a length.
http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Choose-the-Right-Necklace-Length-/10000000177631288/g.html

I think I'm ready to buy now--I hope everything hasn't sold out while I was researching.

FYI, regardless of ratings, these are real pearl necklaces being sold at the same price range Avon sells fake pearl necklaces at--definity a deal.

penguin9271

quality posts: 6 Private Messages penguin9271

I'm curious as to how the pearls are strung. Are they on silk thread knotted between every pearl or on something else?

meredithsargent

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meredithsargent

I'm in for the red set. So purdy. So cheap.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

I have responses to a couple of questions!

regarding the shape, the vendor tells us:

These are nugget pearls, so they are rounded with some flat sides to them. They are natural, and the inconsistency is the beauty of it.

regarding how the pearls are strung, the vendor says:

They are nylon thread knotted between every pearl.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

ksmm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksmm

[quote postid="5552734" user="PemberDucky"]I have responses to a couple of questions!

regarding the shape, the vendor tells us:

These are nugget pearls, so they are rounded with some flat sides to them. They are natural, and the inconsistency is the beauty of it.

Thank you for checking that out.

Snarky Comment: Very true that natural things are neither perfectly nor consistently shaped. That's an artifact of mass production. Still, the marketing speak from the vendor is a bit much -- and this comes from someone who teaches marketing!

Nevertheless, thanks for getting this helpful information. Knowing what to expect, I'll be ordering one.

bborozan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bborozan

Received today, no thanks to the ever wonky woot! shipping notifications.

Utter crap.
(Poorly tied knots and pearls with tumors - attractive, not!)

These go straight to Goodwill.

seebearrun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seebearrun

I'm just checking back to see if anyone else had any issues with their order. When I received mine a few weeks ago it wasn't the right size by 12 inches...I emailed support to see if I could return them and get what I ordered but they said not to and I would get my money back...still no money for the pearls, looks like I'll stick to shirt woot, they seem better organized and better at customer support.

bborozan wrote:Received today, no thanks to the ever wonky woot! shipping notifications.

Utter crap.
(Poorly tied knots and pearls with tumors - attractive, not!)

These go straight to Goodwill.

rtrider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtrider
seebearrun wrote:I'm just checking back to see if anyone else had any issues with their order. When I received mine a few weeks ago it wasn't the right size by 12 inches...I emailed support to see if I could return them and get what I ordered but they said not to and I would get my money back...still no money for the pearls, looks like I'll stick to shirt woot, they seem better organized and better at customer support.

Mine were utterly junk and I sent them back (at my expense thank you very much) for a refund. Very disappointed with the quality and the shipping info provided (shipper wasn't FedEx it was USPS) was also incorrect.