maxikyd

quality posts: 4 Private Messages maxikyd

Without Lenny Bruce leading the way, none of the folks on your list would have had a chance.

limesc1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages limesc1

How do you not put Eddie Murphy on that list? They are all great, but Eddie was a monster when he did his stand up.

fox016

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fox016

Brian Regan!

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

What's with the prudes? Profanity isn't inherently funny, it's just a spice which works well for those who are skilled in the art. So don't knock it until you've the heard the genius of the delivery of something like Carlin's "7 words you can't say" classic.

Lenny Bruce was indeed the man who busted this door down through many legal battles, and a giant he was. The greats better and after him were no better or worse due to this one dimension, but afterwards they did have more freedom.

haserot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haserot

Remove Dane Cook, add Denis Leary.

Do not knock Joan Rivers, funnier than hell when funny wasn't measured by how 'shocking' or foul-mouthed you could be. Phyllis Diller too. Lisa Lampinelli is absolute trash compared to those ladies.

For this list I completely agree with Carlin first and Cosby second, although they are easily interchangeable.

moles1138

quality posts: 8 Private Messages moles1138

Couldn't vote. Too many they are all good (excepting Cook). Too many missing. Loving Louis, Gaffigan right now. Loved Martin back in the day, but he gave it up for acting, maybe that is why he's low in the votes. Grew up with Cosby. First heard Carlin's 7 words in my sixth grade class, we had a cool teacher. Saget's standup is NSFW - unlike his TV shows. Can Penn and Teller be considered standup?

ryancorlew

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ryancorlew

Really? No Dave Chappelle?

Buysharp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Buysharp
goddessneith wrote:d all of the above, you've left out every comedian before 1970 as well as female and ethnic comedians. Where is Phyllis Diller? Rosanne? Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Bob Newhart, Lonnie Shore, Sinbad, Bill Engvall, Jeff Foxworthy, Totie Fields, Gracie Allen, Joan Rivers, et al?

Totie Fields!! WOW, I haven't thought about her in YEARS! She was hilarious! And Bob Newhart should definitely be on this list.

And where are Cheech & Chong?

wmessing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wmessing

Robin Williams. I can't believe he wasn't on the list.

kbdemers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kbdemers

Definitely Sam Kinison

juanaguilera

quality posts: 0 Private Messages juanaguilera

Mitch Headburn hands down! this no other comedian has ever made me laugh so hard, awesome wit.

maraich

quality posts: 3 Private Messages maraich
water rat wrote:Sam Kinison

I came in here to express my shock that he wasn't included in the poll. I'm glad someone else remembers him.

prfesser

quality posts: 6 Private Messages prfesser

Robin Williams, Bobcat Goldthwaite or Steven Wright would get my vote.

gcraney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcraney
gholt121 wrote:Who the he77 keeps voting for Dane Cook?? :|

Really loving all the Dane Cook hate! Validates my insistence that my friends don't listen to that crap.

renz124

quality posts: 0 Private Messages renz124
Boredmaster wrote:Robin Williams or Eddie Murphy. Eddie Murphy was ENORMOUS in the 80's. His shows, and Mike Tyson's fights, were THE BIGGEST TICKETS. Bigger than Super Bowl tickets. Anyone who votes for Dane Cook needs to re-evaluate their sense of humor. Seriously.

I agree 100%

thedoctor213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedoctor213
torturegarden wrote:I voted for Richard Pryor, but Mitch Hedberg would be a close second.

Mitch is my vote for all time, Louis CK is mine for living.

thecrump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecrump

Sam Kinison should not have been left out of this list. If he was good enough for Rodney Dangerfield then he's good enough for me.

cole103

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cole103

Robin Williams

literarylady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages literarylady

Where is Robin Williams???

thecrump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecrump
beaglebrains wrote:Steven Wright. For heaven's sake people, on page two and this is the first mention?!

Love his low key dead pan drone one laugh after another. Couple of my favorites were "I'm moving to another planet. Got any boxes?" "Came home drunk and accidently put my car keys in the door... house started up so I took it around the block. Cop pulls me over and asks me where I live. I say 'Here.'"

philipg0514

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philipg0514

Mitch Hedberg

bobdo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bobdo

Andrew "Dice" Clay
Damon Wayans
Doug Stanhope

raggedyhands

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raggedyhands

Bob Newhart.

Slydon

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

I gotta ask the Eddie Murphy people, have you gone back and watched Raw recently? I remember when it came out I laughed so hard I couldn't actually breathe, but I grabbed a copy to show a friend and it hasn't aged well at all. A lot of the jokes were very of their time, and don't really hold up today.

Obviously Eddie Murphy's done amazing work in sketch comedy and is a super funny guy, but speaking strictly standup...

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

kassaq

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kassaq

No Lenny Bruce? NO LENNY BRUCE??

moles1138

thecrump wrote:Love his low key dead pan drone one laugh after another. Couple of my favorites were "I'm moving to another planet. Got any boxes?" "Came home drunk and accidently put my car keys in the door... house started up so I took it around the block. Cop pulls me over and asks me where I live. I say 'Here.'"

I've got a map of the United States. It's full scale. People ask me where I live, I say "E5".

zeiramp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeiramp

Eddie Izzard.

elsupreme

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elsupreme

No Eddie Murphy?

mrgroovemachine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrgroovemachine

Where is the love for Mitch Hedberg?

prorer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages prorer

Jeff Foxworthy? Ron White?, Larry the Cable Guy?

bsanf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsanf3

A hard one between Pryor, Carlin and Cosby since they have different styles.

oliversfive

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oliversfive

Jerry Lewis....love those old movies.

basileuspsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages basileuspsu
genocyber36 wrote:Eddie Izzard.

I was thinking the same thing...thought I was the only one. Dress to Kill is laugh out loud funny.
But, do you have a flag?

pstrnutbag44

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pstrnutbag44

Greg Proops, people! Maybe not THE best, but certainly deserves mention! Try any of his stand up or do yourself a real favor and listen to his podcast, "The Smartest Man In The World".

feckineejit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages feckineejit

There are different reasons to enjoy a particular comedian. some of them are intelligent and insightful while others are flat out funny making you laugh every few seconds.
The SMARTEST would be; George Carlin Bill Hicks or Ron White
The FUNNIEST would be; Jim GAffigan, Doug Benson or Mitch Hedburg.
The BEST is your own personal favorite. It's very subjective.

wconsult

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wconsult

Not sure if you can really pick just one...

Bill Cosby, George Carlin, Robin Williams, and Steve Martin are in the top 5 of everyone's list.

1wootboot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 1wootboot

How about Carol Burnett, Chris Farley, or John Belushi?

Radical12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Radical12

Greg Giraldo. (Patton Oswald a CLOSE second!)

moles1138

Ricky Gervais?

Radical12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Radical12
vstarguy wrote:Here's the best one! George W. Bush!
He was a great magician too!
In 8 short years he changed the greatest country in the world into a third world country!
His shining hour was his performance as a
bumbling, numa numa American President...a real class act! It was so good that Republicans to this day, believe he was one of the best Presidents we've ever had!
Now THATS funny...I think.

...said the sad Democrat who knows nothing about the Clinton administration and its financial policies.

Go read about the "Community Reinvestment Act", "The National Homeownership Strategy", and his oversight of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Unfortunately, it is nothing to laugh about.