lichme

quality posts: 3182 Private Messages lichme

Item: Asus 15.6" Core i5 VivoBook Touch
Price: $499.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3913 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's read some info on the i5 processor over at intel.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3913 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Can't decide which processor is right for you? Check out this handy processor guide

rasmkenn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rasmkenn

reading reviews and I can't figure out: is this a single drive with 24gb cache aka a hybrid drive. Or does this have 2x drives? One ssd and one normal hdd?... this very important for expandability. One drive is "meh" but two is "hubba hubba".
my mind says it has to be 1 drive but my heart longs to buy it and find out.

Kenny Rasmussen

trunkwontopen

quality posts: 6 Private Messages trunkwontopen
rasmkenn wrote:reading reviews and I can't figure out: is this a single drive with 24gb cache aka a hybrid drive. Or does this have 2x drives? One ssd and one normal hdd?... this very important for expandability. One drive is "meh" but two is "hubba hubba".

According to page 96 of the manual, located here, the illustration shows only enough room for a single drive. I'm thinking 750 GB Hybrid.

Here before the WootBot was.

tjhoulihan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjhoulihan
rasmkenn wrote:reading reviews and I can't figure out: is this a single drive with 24gb cache aka a hybrid drive. Or does this have 2x drives? One ssd and one normal hdd?..

Bullet 4 & 5 of the product description answer your question

- 750GB SATA hard drive has plenty of space to store your digital albums, music library and rich media files

- 24GB SSD for fast Windows booting and everyday computing tasks like surfing the web or playing PC games

gak0090

quality posts: 84 Private Messages gak0090
rasmkenn wrote:reading reviews and I can't figure out: is this a single drive with 24gb cache aka a hybrid drive. Or does this have 2x drives? One ssd and one normal hdd?... this very important for expandability. One drive is "meh" but two is "hubba hubba".

I believe there is only 1 drive bay. The Kingston 24GB SSD cache is like in a PCI express slot (I'm guessing) resembles this:

This came from a foreign review of a similar Asus Ultrabook.

harleyfltri

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harleyfltri
conanthelibrarian wrote:Can't decide which processor is right for you? Check out this handy processor guide

I bought the i3 version of this with 4 Gig of RAM. Added another 4 Gig and swapped the 500GB drive for a 250 Gig SSD. Power on to login takes 11 seconds and it is extremely fast. I would snag this one in a heartbeat if I hadn't recently bought the one I have.

tkebidder

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tkebidder

Let's look at http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+13.3%2522+Touch-Screen+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive/8937176.p?skuId=8937176&productCategoryId=pcmcat247400050000&id=1218954924448&AID=10597222&PID=552179&SID=VWluQTRBb0JDeDBBQUgwaFo5VUFBQUZJ&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2FAsus%2B-%2B13.3%252522%2BTouch-Screen%2BLaptop%2B-%2B4GB%2BMemory%2B-%2B500GB%2BHard%2BDrive%2F8937176.p%3FskuId%3D8937176%26productCategoryId%3Dpcmcat247400050000%26id%3D1218954924448&ref=39&loc=01&CJPID=552179

So not much of a deal Woot

geekgirl717

quality posts: 1 Private Messages geekgirl717
tkebidder wrote:Let's look at http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+13.3%2522+Touch-Screen+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive/8937176.p?skuId=8937176&productCategoryId=pcmcat247400050000&id=1218954924448&AID=10597222&PID=552179&SID=VWluQTRBb0JDeDBBQUgwaFo5VUFBQUZJ&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2FAsus%2B-%2B13.3%252522%2BTouch-Screen%2BLaptop%2B-%2B4GB%2BMemory%2B-%2B500GB%2BHard%2BDrive%2F8937176.p%3FskuId%3D8937176%26productCategoryId%3Dpcmcat247400050000%26id%3D1218954924448&ref=39&loc=01&CJPID=552179

So not much of a deal Woot

Well - that's a smaller-sized laptop with less RAM and a smaller hard drive.

While I get your point, it's not the same machine.

Conversely, if you look at the Asus in the same size/core/memory over on NewEgg (can't match the model# exactly, so I don't feel comfortable posting the link up) this machine is about $200 less.

At any rate, I'm looking for a portable machine to primarilly run Word for working on the go (or when I'm stuck at the dealership for FIVE FRACKING HOURS waiting on van repair) and the occasional bad-girl foray into FFXIV when I am not at home. Would this do the trick?

gak0090

geekgirl717 wrote:Well - that's a smaller-sized laptop with less RAM and a smaller hard drive.

While I get your point, it's not the same machine.

Conversely, if you look at the Asus in the same size/core/memory over on NewEgg (can't match the model# exactly, so I don't feel comfortable posting the link up) this machine is about $200 less.

At any rate, I'm looking for a portable machine to primarilly run Word for working on the go (or when I'm stuck at the dealership for FIVE FRACKING HOURS waiting on van repair) and the occasional bad-girl foray into FFXIV when I am not at home. Would this do the trick?

this should play it with no problem
http://fr.ffxivpro.com/forum/topic/33129/ffxi-intel-hd-4000/

scott4381

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scott4381

I have one of these, it's an S500CA but slightly different specs (came with a 500GB hard drive). I found the display too glossy and reflective for use in the office where I work, the sun glare made it impossible to see. Bought a matte screen protector from eBay and I'm much happier with it.

Also found the machine to be pretty slow with Windows 8 and the regular hard drive. I finally ended up getting a Samsung 840 SSD and installed Windows 7 - the machine is SO much better now! Previously it was crashing constantly and would hang in Windows 8. Now it boots extremely fast and the drive is no longer the bottleneck. Good machine though, it's pretty lightweight for the size and all that it has, and I like the large screen.

scott4381

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scott4381

Yep that's correct. The 24GB SSD is separate but it's not a regular SATA drive, probably PCI Express as you said.

gak0090 wrote:I believe there is only 1 drive bay. The Kingston 24GB SSD cache is like in a PCI express slot (I'm guessing) resembles this:

This came from a foreign review of a similar Asus Ultrabook.

gak0090

How long is it going to take for mainstream windows computers to get away from this sh_tty 1366X768 resolution. When my 6 year old daughter can look at the same size font on 2 similar screens and can easily and accurately tell me which screens are 1080P and which 1366x768, it's definitely time to move on.

wootatchakobsadotnet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootatchakobsadotnet
geekgirl717 wrote:

I would say not. This review http://www.digitaltrends.com/laptop-reviews/asus-vivobook-s550ca-review/ isn't exactly the precise model on Woot but looks pretty close. Five hours is probably not going to happen, and it could last less than two.

It also seems like the battery options have gone downhill lately. I replaced the battery in my netbook years ago with the extra large model and get a little over 12 hours, but I'm having trouble determining whether extra large batteries are available most of the ultrabooks available today.

I figure anything less than eight hours means you'll be tethered to a plug outlet saw I would call it "transportable" as opposed to "portable". In a post-iPad world where charging is "every day or two" instead of "every hour or two" I can't seriously entertain the idea of buying a laptop that won't at least get me through a standard eight hour work day.

gak0090

scott4381 wrote:I have one of these, it's an S500CA but slightly different specs (came with a 500GB hard drive). I found the display too glossy and reflective for use in the office where I work, the sun glare made it impossible to see. Bought a matte screen protector from eBay and I'm much happier with it.

Also found the machine to be pretty slow with Windows 8 and the regular hard drive. I finally ended up getting a Samsung 840 SSD and installed Windows 7 - the machine is SO much better now! Previously it was crashing constantly and would hang in Windows 8. Now it boots extremely fast and the drive is no longer the bottleneck. Good machine though, it's pretty lightweight for the size and all that it has, and I like the large screen.

Samsung 840 is a sweet SSD, I used one of these in an Asus K55A I5-3210m and changed it to Windows 7. This thing screams now for starting out as a $400 laptop. I still hate the fact that it is 1366x768 resolution, but other than that it works great.

bjfaber

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bjfaber
wootatchakobsadotnet wrote:It also seems like the battery options have gone downhill lately. I replaced the battery in my netbook years ago with the extra large model and get a little over 12 hours, but I'm having trouble determining whether extra large batteries are available most of the ultrabooks available today.

I figure anything less than eight hours means you'll be tethered to a plug outlet saw I would call it "transportable" as opposed to "portable". In a post-iPad world where charging is "every day or two" instead of "every hour or two" I can't seriously entertain the idea of buying a laptop that won't at least get me through a standard eight hour work day.

This laptop (and most ultrabooks these days) do not have removable batteries so you are not going to find options for replacing them with larger batteries as they are not "user replacable parts." While I understand that some manufacturers don't consider RAM "user replacable" in a tight space like an ultrabook and how the battery is most likely assembled in the case, there is probably little to no room for even the most adventurous of tinkeres to do much in terms of upgrading it.

jimgamble55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimgamble55

I've been looking for a mid tier "gaming" laptop for around this price. How would this do running games like skyrim, civ 5, or Starcraft 2?

I know it's not really built for gaming but I can handle these sorts of games on low settings if necessary.

Do you think this would be a good option for me?

stevesds

quality posts: 18 Private Messages stevesds
bmrbill wrote:Digital Trends Review.

Thanks for this review. It showed me that $500 is too much to spend on a 720p laptop with a crap battery:

"Our Battery Eater test sucked down a full charge in one hour and 48 minutes. Switching to the light-load Reader’s Test only extended life to four hours and 22 minutes. The Peacekeeper browser test turned in a result of three hours and 45 minutes."

thechilipepper0

quality posts: 4 Private Messages thechilipepper0
wootatchakobsadotnet wrote:It also seems like the battery options have gone downhill lately... I can't seriously entertain the idea of buying a laptop that won't at least get me through a standard eight hour work day.

You need to look at the current crop of laptops that utilize 4th gen Intel cores (Haswell). The battery life in them are radically improved. The macbook air, for instance went from like 7 hours to 12. And most laptops reviewed either have dramatically increased battery life, or significantly shrunken battery capacity (and produce the same longevity as previous models).

caltheon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages caltheon

I bought a very similar model for my wife from Best Buy and while we were very pleased with the computer itself, the power adapter is a tiny vunerable thing that didn't last 2 weeks of being plugged in/out regularly so it ended up going back to the store. I bought my mother the 12" version of this and she adores it though. I think it has the same plug, but something is different between the two, maybe because it's a lighter laptop.

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5

Low res panel and a touchpad offset to the right makes this a bad buy. I have to wonder why computer makers offset the touchpad to the right? It makes it way to easy for your right palm to touch the pad while typing and cause the mouse to jump around. DUMB design!

spoklan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spoklan
adr5 wrote:Low res panel and a touchpad offset to the right makes this a bad buy. I have to wonder why computer makers offset the touchpad to the right? It makes it way to easy for your right palm to touch the pad while typing and cause the mouse to jump around. DUMB design!

Left ;)

It's centered on the keyboard itself with the numpad off to the right. Pretty typical set up for this style keyboard on a laptop. In "Proper" typing one does not rest one's palms on any surface (or so I've been told) -- I personally have found the big touchpads to be a PITA, you look at them too hard and the mouse will move.

Generally more random than you ever though possible.

dineshsheth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dineshsheth

Is the weight 4.6lb as the Asus website claims or 5.8lb as stated here? Same item (diff part number) with 500gb drive at Costco store for same price says 4.6lb weight.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
adr5 wrote:Low res panel and a touchpad offset to the right makes this a bad buy. . . .

@adr5, whining to woot and wooters is not going to change the resolution for mainstream laptops. Call it "low" if it makes you feel better but the fact remains, it is the standard resolution for laptops in this price range.

It is a mischaracterization to imply this laptop has inferior resolution vs. other comparable laptops. The resolution of this laptop is normal for a $500 laptop.

rattlhed100

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rattlhed100

I couldn't agree more. I have a Dell 15" laptop that's 9 years old now. The resolution is 1600x1080 and it looks wonderful. These 15" laptops that use 720p resolution are just a joke. I'm in the market for a 15" laptop but I won't even consider anything less than 1080p.

gak0090 wrote:How long is it going to take for mainstream windows computers to get away from this sh_tty 1366X768 resolution. When my 6 year old daughter can look at the same size font on 2 similar screens and can easily and accurately tell me which screens are 1080P and which 1366x768, it's definitely time to move on.

stlraistlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stlraistlin
jimgamble55 wrote:I've been looking for a mid tier "gaming" laptop for around this price. How would this do running games like skyrim, civ 5, or Starcraft 2?

I know it's not really built for gaming but I can handle these sorts of games on low settings if necessary.

Do you think this would be a good option for me?

Been looking for something similar myself.. looking at the spec sites it seems like Skyrim is a pretty needy game compared to civ 5 or starcraft..

rasmkenn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rasmkenn
stlraistlin wrote:Been looking for something similar myself.. looking at the spec sites it seems like Skyrim is a pretty needy game compared to civ 5 or starcraft..

try this guy out:
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

looks like those games "require" 512 dedicated graphics. This laptop would run them but only on lower settings.

Kenny Rasmussen

DirrtyMagic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DirrtyMagic
jimgamble55 wrote:I've been looking for a mid tier "gaming" laptop for around this price. How would this do running games like skyrim, civ 5, or Starcraft 2?

Unless a PC has an non-integrated video card it will be put in the low tier "gaming" laptop catagory I think. Those games you listed will not much care for running these on this PC very smoothly, even on low. Plants VS Zombies ect should be fine though.