WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

R/C Helicopters = Awesome

"Looks like your leg is broken, and we're miles from civilization. There's only one option -- we're going to have to call in a copter. Don't worry, my nephew just got a sweet new R/C chopper that should be here in a few hours. Let's just hope he remembered to change the batteries." 

Bione

quality posts: 28 Private Messages Bione

Any idea what battery life is for any of these things? Is it measured in minutes or hours?

mom2hapakids

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mom2hapakids
l33thitman wrote:Too soon, woot. Too soon...

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Toy-Helicopter-Head-Teen-Brooklyn-Gravesend-222576101.html?_osource=Newltr_Station_Hdlines_NY

I had the same thought. Unfortunate timing. I am sorry for that family's loss.

Massive Overkill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Massive Overkill

Thoughts go out to his family. Unfortunately the uneducated (including the media) are going to associate this accident with the true toy grade quads and helis. The guy was flying a nitro-powered 700-size heli:

http://youtu.be/47mjyTsol58

The majority of the brushed quads and helis propellers are much smaller than the 250 sized heli in the video above. There's no way you would decapitate yourself with a toy-grade brushed quad. The V929 is WL Toy's oldest mini quad model and is a bit outdated. The V212 isn't much more and flies much better:

http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/103-wl-toys-v212-rtf-alien-canopy.html

carter627

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carter627
Bione wrote:Any idea what battery life is for any of these things? Is it measured in minutes or hours?

Flying time is definitely minutes, probably on the order of 5-8 per charge. The batteries in the transmitters should last through multiple charge/flight cycles before needing to be replaced.

northcjr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages northcjr

Considering purchasing- World Trading23 Unbreakable 3.5-Channel. Any one have any user experience? Any what is the warranty on something that is called unbreakable????? Guessing I won't have any trouble breaking it after a week of use.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

l33thitman wrote:Too soon, woot. Too soon...

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Toy-Helicopter-Head-Teen-Brooklyn-Gravesend-222576101.html?_osource=Newltr_Station_Hdlines_NY

There was no intent to slight that event. Keep in mind that the young man in this article was flying a much larger gas-powered RC helicopter. We are selling toys.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Ninkumpoop

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Ninkumpoop

Intent vs. Perception. I understand there was no intent to cause harm, but still seems almost perfectly ill timed. And, yes, Woot's offerings are toys that could maybe poke your eye out if you're very unlucky.

That said, I have a friend who almost died in a gas-powered RC helicopter accident a few years ago. Lost sight of the helicopter in the sun and a gust of wind pushed it in his direction. Too fast to try to react. My condolences to the family.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages boomn4x4

There are three things you need to pay attention to when purchasing these entry level helicopters.

1. Number of channels. 3 channels move up/down, rotate left/right, and go forward/backward. 4 channels add in a slide left/right. The fourth channel ads a considerable amount of maneuverability. I would recommend starting with a 4 channel. Yes, they are a little bit more difficult to learn, but the layout of the controls is different than a 3 channel so if you start with a 3, you can't just move up to a 4, you have to completely relearn how to fly it. And don't let the X.5 channel throw you off, the ".5" is a marketing ploy, I really have no idea what it means... a 3.5 channel is the same thing as a 3.

2. Fixed pitch vs collective pitch rotors. A fixed pitch helicopter as two blades that have fixed to a motor, each spinning a different way (which they refer to as "coaxial"). There is a third tail rotor mounted horizontally that lifts and lowers the tail to provide forward/backward movement. A collective pitch rotor the pitch of the blades float on a swash plate that changes the pitch of the blades alowing a greater level of control and enabling side to side movement. Collective pitch helicopters are much more maneuverable and enjoyable.

3. Radio Controlled vs Infra Red Controlled. IR controllers use an infra red beam of light to send controls to the copter, same as a typical tv remote. This means that you need to stay line of sight and you cannot use it outdoors in sunlight. RC controls use a radio signal giving you a much greater range and can be used in bright sunlight. To tell the difference, IR transmitters have a little plastic dome on the top of the controller. RC will have an actual antenna, though it may only be a few inches long

With all of that said, I would strongly encourage anyone getting into it to buy a 4 channel, collective pitch, RC helicopter. They are much more enjoyable. 3 channel, fixed pitch, IR copters are slow, have poor maneuverablity, and just get boring quickly.

Another thing to mention, make sure the helicopter you buy has readily available parts. As durable as any of them claim to be, eventually parts will break. Most of the time, these parts are dirt cheap and simple to fix... but that's only if you can find parts for it. It would be best to google the model number + "replacement parts" to see if they are readily available.

To answer a previous question, flight time for these type helicopters is usually in the 10-15 minute range. I'm not familiar with these particular brands to say exactly.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

carter627

northcjr wrote:Considering purchasing- World Trading23 Unbreakable 3.5-Channel. Any one have any user experience? Any what is the warranty on something that is called unbreakable????? Guessing I won't have any trouble breaking it after a week of use.

IMHO, don't trust the videos. While I'm sure the frame is rock-solid, the rotors, gears, etc. are just as fragile as on any other heli. That's not to say it's going to fall apart if you sneeze on it, but it's definitely not indestructible. As for a warranty, I pretty much consider these things disposable after you open the box. You might be able to find replacement parts online but at this price it might be easier and less frustrating to just buy two.

For the record I ordered one, because I like that ~12" rotor size - small enough to still fly inside but handles OK outside on calm days, too.

tnode192

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tnode192

"Helicopters work because ... huh ... we never really thought about it before. The Bernoulli Principle? "

Helicopters do not fly, they beat the air into submission.

Helicopters don't fly, they're just so ugly the earth repels them.

That said, I recommend one with a gyro, it makes it much easier to learn to fly. I have a so called 3.5 channel one i got for Christmas last year. Lots of fun. Be aware that IR control and outside do not mix.

burns72

quality posts: 9 Private Messages burns72
mom2hapakids wrote:I had the same thought. Unfortunate timing. I am sorry for that family's loss.

So, should every store in the country stop selling them toys or otherwise becuase of an unfortunate accident?

boomn4x4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages boomn4x4
carter627 wrote:You might be able to find replacement parts online but at this price it might be easier and less frustrating to just buy two.

My personal favoritte is the WL Toys V911, http://www.amazon.com/Improved-Single-Rotor-Helicopter-Version/dp/B009SEOV40

In two years mine has take a beating. The part that breaks the most is the balance bar, which I have broken 3 or 4 times, a replacement is about $2 The blades are next, I've broken 2 of them and they cost about $2 for a pair.

At $40 for the helicopter, I've broken it 5 times... which would have cost $200 if it were disposable. And have repaired it 5 times for a total of about $8

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

mom2hapakids

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mom2hapakids
burns72 wrote:So, should every store in the country stop selling them toys or otherwise becuase of an unfortunate accident?

Nope, not saying that at all, but with Woot, who has a limited offering, and hopefully, planning, this could have been postponed and another item substituted or not. As another poster wrote, there's reality and there's perception.

Massive Overkill

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Massive Overkill

Check out RC Groups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/mini-multirotors-800/

As well as our guide:

http://www.massiverc.com/before-your-first-purchase.html

bmkclemens

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmkclemens

Two White Plastic cogs stacked on top of eachother in the body of the heli connected via a shaft are used to spin the two rotors. two spinning metal rods that have have tiny plastic cogs spin the larger cogs. the problem I am experiencing is that the small cogs are not attached very well and the shaft spins but the cog at the end doesnt. I re-glued them on a couple of times, but will look for a better solution the next time I take them apart.

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
burns72 wrote:So, should every store in the country stop selling them toys or otherwise becuase of an unfortunate accident?

Yes we are getting way to sensitive.Remember Williams Sonoma(I think)removed pressure cookers from their stores after the Boston Bombing.Just ridiculous.If I were the victim of either of those tragedies I'd be outraged that anyone changed their behavior temporally just to make people think they are more"caring".

dave17

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dave17
mom2hapakids wrote:Nope, not saying that at all, but with Woot, who has a limited offering, and hopefully, planning, this could have been postponed and another item substituted or not. As another poster wrote, there's reality and there's perception.

So only woot has a responsibility here??What about stores close to the accident?Should the move all their copters to the stockroom?For how long?
This kind of thinking is just bad.

discomidget

quality posts: 1 Private Messages discomidget

We had a bunch (10 or so) of these toy helicopters in our office. While they lasted, they were great. After about 2 weeks of daily use, the battery stops holding much of a charge and the helicopter just skims the ground.

That being said, they were so much fun that most everyone just went out and got another. There are some models with a replaceable battery as well.

seethesun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seethesun

Though my condolences go out to the family, some people on this board are entirely too sensitive.

I watch the news and visit several news sites daily. Until now, I was not familiar with this story. So the media didn't make it a national story. Maybe the people at Woot weren't familiar with it either? I'm at least giving them the benefit of the doubt.

If the family saw this do you think they would be as offended as some seem to be? I somehow doubt it, so why are others?

skou

quality posts: 21 Private Messages skou
boomn4x4 wrote:
3. Radio Controlled vs Infra Red Controlled. IR controllers use an infra red beam of light to send controls to the copter, same as a typical tv remote. This means that you need to stay line of sight and you cannot use it outdoors in sunlight. RC controls use a radio signal giving you a much greater range and can be used in bright sunlight. To tell the difference, IR transmitters have a little plastic dome on the top of the controller. RC will have an actual antenna, though it may only be a few inches long

With all of that said, I would strongly encourage anyone getting into it to buy a 4 channel, collective pitch, RC helicopter. They are much more enjoyable. 3 channel, fixed pitch, IR copters are slow, have poor maneuverablity, and just get boring quickly.

Another thing to mention, make sure the helicopter you buy has readily available parts. As durable as any of them claim to be, eventually parts will break. Most of the time, these parts are dirt cheap and simple to fix... but that's only if you can find parts for it. It would be best to google the model number + "replacement parts" to see if they are readily available.

To answer a previous question, flight time for these type helicopters is usually in the 10-15 minute range. I'm not familiar with these particular brands to say exactly.

FINALLY!

Someone else is beating the IR/RC drum!

Woot! Please STOP calling these toy IR helicopters RC.

Guys, if you want to get a cheap toy THAT WILL NOT REMOVE SOMEONE'S HEAD, these are what you want.

CAUTION!! You might get a tiny cut on your finger, if you reach into the spinning rotor blades.

Maybe!

These are toys. A set of tail-rotor blades will be 3 or 4 times as much as this whole toy. (And, yes. Those tail-rotors will cause REAL damage. The main rotors will cause even more.)

steve

carter627

boomn4x4 wrote:

At $40 for the helicopter, I've broken it 5 times... which would have cost $200 if it were disposable. And have repaired it 5 times for a total of about $8

Like I said, if you can get replacement parts, then cool. I've replaced many a part too but due to the obscurity of the parts, shipping charges, etc., DIY repair isn't always a cheap (or even available) option. And since I don't recognize most of these brands I just assume I'm getting a disposable product.

phildozer

quality posts: 2 Private Messages phildozer
skou wrote:

Woot! Please STOP calling these toy IR helicopters RC.

steve

To 99.5% of the world, RC stands for "Remote Control".

They're RC helicopters that are controlled via IR. Get over it.

stv6669

quality posts: 6 Private Messages stv6669
mom2hapakids wrote:I had the same thought. Unfortunate timing. I am sorry for that family's loss.

Don't lose your head over it.

sayaman22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sayaman22
northcjr wrote:Considering purchasing- World Trading23 Unbreakable 3.5-Channel. Any one have any user experience? Any what is the warranty on something that is called unbreakable????? Guessing I won't have any trouble breaking it after a week of use.

It definitely is unbreakable, but it's so heavy that the battery lasts literally only 2 minutes.

Interesting note: upon further inspection, I found that the power source for this heli is a capacitor.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

Wow, one guy manages to kill himself with a gas-powered radio controlled copter and the villagers are lighting torches. Meanwhile, tens of thousands of people die every year from drunk driving and wine.woot gets a pass. Seriously, these little toys have about as much to do with that as bottled water has to do with flooding in the midwest. Take a sip of wine, blaze a phattie and calm the frick down.

And don't make me come back there!

skou

phildozer wrote:To 99.5% of the world, RC stands for "Remote Control".

They're RC helicopters that are controlled via IR. Get over it.

You're (almost) right.

But, to the RC world, RC means Radio Controlled.

You CANNOT use an IR controlled whatever, outside, in the sunlight. With a REAL RC controlled whatever, you can.

steve

skou

stv6669 wrote:Don't lose your head over it.

OK, that's gonna leave a mark!

steve

sykl0ps

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sykl0ps

you should get a quality post for that:

PocketBrain wrote:Wow, one guy manages to kill himself with a gas-powered radio controlled copter and the villagers are lighting torches. Meanwhile, tens of thousands of people die every year from drunk driving and wine.woot gets a pass. Seriously, these little toys have about as much to do with that as bottled water has to do with flooding in the midwest. Take a sip of wine, blaze a phattie and calm the frick down.

And don't make me come back there!

etc90

quality posts: 0 Private Messages etc90

Really? In NYC there has been a recent tragedy involving RC helicopters. Perhaps now might not have been the best time to have this particular item. Though, I realize NY is not the only marketplace -

jcleary47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcleary47

Less blabber and crying over an incident with a remote control helicopter that is absolutely nothing like these toys and more information about the actual toys please.

lol never even heard of this accident until people started getting all stupid in the comment section for these TOYS.

What I care about in this comment section is relevant information to these RC toys. What I don't care about is Captain Oblivious slicing his dome piece in half with a gas powered chopper.

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 40 Private Messages Pufferfishy

Don't be fly....

You've been put on posting probation for this post

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab
boomn4x4 wrote:My personal favoritte is the WL Toys V911, http://www.amazon.com/Improved-Single-Rotor-Helicopter-Version/dp/B009SEOV40

Second this!

I picked up a V911, along with a SYMA S107G about a month ago. A few (essential) spare parts packs for both, 5 extra (high capacity) batteries for the V911, and an AC charger for the SYMA, and I still had $10 left from my $100 Amazon gift card.

Bottom line, best $90+/- this 40+ year-old kid has spent in a LONG time. It's the most fun one could have with their clothes on!

Yes, both birds are different and it takes a minute or two to 're-adjust' to what the controls do, but it's like riding a bike and driving a car. The fixed pitch SYMA is a blast indoors. Yeah, it's not as quick and maneuverable as the collective pitch V911, but it's FUN! It will hover perfectly still in the air when it's trimmed properly. Great to practice landings on small boxes or books.

The V911 - WOW! For $44, it's more than I expected and has taken a beating. I've had it 150-200' up and the crows and starlings go nuts chasing it. The kids love tormenting the birds! Just watch the wind, as it's very light.

So, my suggestion, don't be scared off by these. Very easy to learn. If this 'beginner' can fly both (fixed 3ch and collective pitch 4ch) and get pretty good after only a couple flights, anyone can do it.

And some folks need to relax about the 'timing' of this woot. I bet you could find an accident related to every one of the woots today (even the slippers)...

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab
Pufferfishy wrote:Don't be fly....

Absolutely LOVE the Chinese-to-English translations on some of these toys!

STILLdKING

quality posts: 0 Private Messages STILLdKING
scubalab wrote:Absolutely LOVE the Chinese-to-English translations on some of these toys!

I believe it's called "Engrish" and there's a site dedicated to it.