WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

I had a video all picked out for today, then decided at the last minute to turn it into a whole blog post next week. So instead, let's kick off the weekend with an old favorite: Billy Squier's career-ending erotic romp featuring him stirring up the sheets and forbidden-dancing with... himself.

Watch Watch This First first, every weekday morning. Because the best way to start the day is to start it a few minutes later.

headrusch1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages headrusch1

This video would have more impact on Woot if it was being displayed on a refurbished flatscreen tv, riding atop a refurbished Roomba.

..just sayin'....

davidbowser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidbowser

As much as I love this song, the video has to be a goof, kinda like the scene in Risky Business where Tom Cruise dances around the house in his underwear.

Assuming it is a goof, it is funny and appreciated. The whole routine would be totally normal if done on stage in front of thousands with a band behind him, but alone in his apartment just makes it funny.

starez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages starez
davidbowser wrote:As much as I love this song, the video has to be a goof, kinda like the scene in Risky Business where Tom Cruise dances around the house in his underwear.

Assuming it is a goof, it is funny and appreciated. The whole routine would be totally normal if done on stage in front of thousands with a band behind him, but alone in his apartment just makes it funny.

Sorry Friend, not a goof, it is (sadly) real. I remember it clearly from my teenage MTV days and I'll add (hangs head in shame) I thought he was super sexy.

bjgleas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bjgleas
davidbowser wrote:As much as I love this song, the video has to be a goof, kinda like the scene in Risky Business where Tom Cruise dances around the house in his underwear.

There is a whole chapter in Marks, Craig (2011) I Want My MTV - The Uncensored Story of the Music Video Revolution that discusses this video. The Chapter is entitled "A Whopping, Steaming Turd - The Worst Video Ever Made". According to the various interviews Squire wanted to do a kind of rock star wakes up, gets ready for a concert, and then goes on stage. But they had a hard time finding a director who agreed with this vision.

Finally, with time running out, since MTV had already announced the world premiere of the new Squire video, they got Kenny Ortega, a choreographer, to direct, and well... They did discuss Risky Business, and American Gigolo... Squire is quoted in the book, "The video had a deleterious effect on my career. The tour before, I was selling out arenas faster than Sinatra, and as soon as that video came out I was playing to half houses. I went from 15,000 and 20,000 people a night to 10,000 people. Everything I’d worked for my whole life was crumbling, and I couldn’t stop it. How can a four-minute video do that? Okay, it sucked. So?"

To make matters worse, the budget for the video was supposedly the most money Capitol had ever spent on a video.

fordtruckgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fordtruckgirl

Awww the 80's, the decade that couldn't get fashion, hair or music right. This video reminds why I skip over the 80's channel on satellite radio.

cummaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cummaster

i loved this guys first album, then this extreme video came out and well.. there can only be one freddie mercury at a time in rock.

[MOD EDIT] Removed unnecessary adjective.

corvettejoe

quality posts: 23 Private Messages corvettejoe

I love the 80's, I love 80's music and all that.

... but this... just... wow.
It almost makes me change my mind.

Poor guy (after reading above poster's history lesson on this video). All it takes is one bad image changing video and a terrible director.

osmo67

quality posts: 0 Private Messages osmo67

The song and album are very good! At least the editing for the scene transitions are good. Billy is still touring and I look forward to seeing him perform!

Dave

CatCK

quality posts: 50 Private Messages CatCK

Wikipedia has a page on this video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Me_Tonite

The song is great, the concept for the video was fine, just something went awry with the execution. Squire needs to take some responsibility for it, though.

brucezallain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brucezallain

Billy learned a hard lesson on mass media. At it's inception, MTV could easily make or break a career. Unknown acts, with a video on MTV (Duran Duran) had their careers explode. Established acts without video on MTV (Christopher Cross)saw their careers wane. Video indeed killed the radio star.

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev

I just watched it with the sound muted - hilarious!