WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Say, what's better than singing? That's right! TALKING! So many classic songs aren't based around anything more than a simple conversation between artist and listener. Today Scott's selected five of his favorite talky songs. As always, you are encouraged to do the same. But first, you'll have to suffer through his. Is suffer the right term? You be the judge...

David Bowie - Glass Spider

Going to see a concert in 1983 1987, one might not expect a multi-story spider to be waiting inside. But leave it to Bowie to go high-concept in the age of outrageousness. Who else could upstage a giant spider with a simple story? Seriously, listen to what he's saying. What is he even saying? No wonder his son played D&D.

More talking to come inside! See you after the jump.

Golden Earring - Twilight Zone

Not many songs begin with an inaudible mumble and yet still become hits. Even people who know the lyrics by heart will go "wuzzle bumble fuzzle TWO AM!!!" when this rock classic comes on the radio. But it's the talking part that makes it extra sinister. And that makes it work.

ABC - The Look Of Love

Of course, this ABC song is as simple as a Motown hit. "Your reason for living's your reason for leaving" is the most succinct breakdown of a lover's quarrel that's ever been. But it's the conversation, as though between two mates in a coffee shop, that really helps you understand how much poor Martin needs your help. Then maybe one day he can find that look again.

U2 - Silver And Gold

Really almost any random U2 song after 1984 would probably fit in this category, but Silver And Gold is the moment Bono really became the Bono we all know and often want to shut up. From the quasi-foreign pronunciation of apartheid to the famous "Am I buggin' you?" to his total control over The Edge, this is the talking song that all talking songs dream of being.

Meat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light

This song has a baseball game in it. THIS SONG. HAS. A. BASEBALL GAME. IN IT. Maybe you're a fan and maybe you're not but you cannot help but admire the audacity.

If you feel like talking further, hit up our Turntable.fm room for the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

LarryLars

quality posts: 67 Private Messages LarryLars

Michael Jackson - "Thriller"

The talking end part with Vincent Price IS priceless! hahahahahaha!

!
Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

Any slowcore song ever, a lot of rap songs, plenty of abstract deep cut experimental avant garde tracks to choose from...oh and any spoken word version of a song ever.
here are a few of my choices
Dealwithit.gif

Grim Grinning Ghosts -

Slint - Breadcrumb Trail

Nsfl: Golden Palominos - Victim

mossygreen

quality posts: 75 Private Messages mossygreen

At last, another semi-natural opportunity to post Algebra Suicide songs!

This is a four-song EP, containing True Romance at the World's Fair, Recalling the Last Encounter, Praxis and In Bed With Boys

And just for fun, (A Proverbial Explanation For) Why No Action Is Taken

Not early '80's enough?
Have some Waitresses:
Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful

And here's some Soft Cell!
Frustration

Featuring my favorite fake facial hair/hedge trimmer moment ever, and Marc Almond angrily eating a chrysanthemum! Seriously, though: if Marc is expressing your innermost thoughts as a repressed middle-aged man, you are probably not fantasizing about Bo Derek. It takes me out of the song a little bit.

Here is some Eno:
Dead Finks Don't Talk

That's a good beginning.

LarryLars

but before Michael, there was Alice!

Alice Cooper - "The Black Widow"

Vincent Price again!

!

nemo2005

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nemo2005

King Crimson-Elephant Talk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLQhLcKyGs8&feature=player_detailpage

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

Too Much?

Why won't you give it a rest?

With Myself?

vigilante1987

quality posts: 11 Private Messages vigilante1987

Most of the early Moody Blues albums had at least one track with Greame Edge's poetry in it. I'll go with the one most people would be familiar with: "Nights in White Satin/Late Lament"

CatCK

quality posts: 52 Private Messages CatCK

"Are You Lonesome Tonight?", by Elvis Presley

"Smokin' in the Boys Room", by Brownsville Station

"Alice's Restaurant" by Arlo Guthrie

mossygreen

Three songs about talking:

Gary Numan, My Conversation

Bauhaus, Small Talk Stinks

G.G. Allin and the Jabbers, Don't Talk to Me

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Did someone say 80's? Barf me out! :p

Modern 80's vibe.

Late 80's

And the rest...

'Tis (almost) the season! @_@

leatherwing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages leatherwing

Bowie's Glass Spider tour was in 1987, not '83. It was also the last appearance of Peter Frampton's hair.

LarryLars

vigilante1987 wrote:Most of the early Moody Blues albums had at least one track with Greame Edge's poetry in it. I'll go with the one most people would be familiar with: "Nights in White Satin/Late Lament"

Thanks for posting this, Vig.

The Moody Blues belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!!!!

!

LarryLars

Ah, breaker ...

C. W. McCall - "Convoy"

!

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

I'm going to have to recycle "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)" by Baz Luhrmann from the other week. The only other one I can think of is the intro from "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix-a-Lot.

hot72chev

quality posts: 13 Private Messages hot72chev

Alan Jackson, The Talkin Song, Repair Blues

No badges cluttering up this signature...no-sir-ee-bob.

strawhousepig

LarryLars wrote:Ah, breaker ...

C. W. McCall - "Convoy"

They filmed a scene of that movie in the small town where I lived. As a youngun of course. A friend of my brother (older) rides his bike over, "They're filming a movie by [local landmark]!" So naturally I tag along.

Slydon

quality posts: 18 Private Messages Slydon

Staff

mossygreen wrote:
G.G. Allin and the Jabbers, Don't Talk to Me

Is this the first time gg's been in a Music Monday?

Hi, I'm one of the writers. My powers are limited but I'll do what I can.

robino

quality posts: 2 Private Messages robino

Oh man, you guys. Feast on this:

mossygreen

Slydon wrote:Is this the first time gg's been in a Music Monday?

You mean, legitimately and appropriately? Because this is the third time I've brought him up, but the first where it's not a stretch and/or nothing but profanity.

strawhousepig

Yeah, like 3 weeks in a row. We're beginning to become a little... concerned.

j/k! No really, we don't care.

mossygreen

strawhousepig wrote:Yeah, like 3 weeks in a row. We're beginning to become a little... concerned.

j/k! No really, we don't care.

I very much appreciate this as a safe space on the internet where a woman can express her love of obscure early '80's spoken word bands and early '70's English children's shows AND her greater than average familiarity with the oeuvre of the late G.G. Allin without fear.