WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

From the "new to me" file comes this hypnotic clip of 32 metronomes on a wobbly table. They start swinging at different times, clacking away in a formless cacophony. But every swing of each metronome moves the tabletop, which in turn affects their motion, until the feedback loops brings all 32 metronomes into perfect synchronicity. And that's your Friday morning science lesson.

Watch Watch This First first, every weekday morning. Because the best way to start the day is to start it a few minutes later.

cygnwulf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cygnwulf

The same thing happens if you hang several old fashioned pendulum clocks on the same wall.

jachim72

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jachim72

Watching this reminded me of a pendulum waves video that's just as hypnotic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVkdfJ9PkRQ

aaronwooster

quality posts: 9 Private Messages aaronwooster

Not to be too much of a stickler, but left-hand blue row second-from-the-back metronome never quite gets in perfect synch. Perhaps it's a bit of an iconoclast.

eddieregi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eddieregi
aaronwooster wrote:Not to be too much of a stickler, but left-hand blue row second-from-the-back metronome never quite gets in perfect synch. Perhaps it's a bit of an iconoclast.

That's the coolness. The periods of the metronomes don't have to be identical. The wobbly table makes it a system which has an "combined" period.
Each device contributes a bit to, and is modified a bit by, the system.
The slow metronomes are forced to a shorter period and the fast metronomes to a longer one.

good science

erth2karin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages erth2karin

The creepy part isn't that they end up keeping the same beat, but that they all end up swinging in the same *direction*, despite being started off in opposite directions.
I have to watch this 30 or 40 more times, & figure out exactly when inanimate objects develop a Hive Mind.
0_o

dkendrafran7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dkendrafran7

Very Martial here. If we take this as a metaphor for human mob mentality, how long will the 4 minutes of this translate into for humans? Hmm... well, how close to 1984's premise (since it was written, not the year itself) have we come?

Cool, though, when it's inanimate objects!

lipophilia

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia

I agree; the metaphor is a little too close.
Just happy that this was not posted on a Monday - That would be too demotivating.
(My son uses this demo in one of his classes. I'm glad to see it has gotten wider distribution.)

inetcruise

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inetcruise

Question is, WHY?