quality posts: 3001 Private Messages lichme

Details, docs, reviews and more on the Product Page
3.5 Star review from NotebookReview.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3642 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch an unboxing (both parts)

bmseaton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmseaton
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's watch an unboxing (both parts)

Am I missing something or is that unboxing video not the same laptop.... For starters... the video shows an i5, this laptop on woot has an i7... And the video shows a P875-S7200... The one on woot is a P875-S7102B...

Saintless

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Saintless

I have the P875-S7310 (a very close model), that I purchased last March, on clearance, when it was being replaced by a new model. I love this laptop, though you have to like larger laptops. I'm a software developer, so I have to have a larger screen, so it's what I wanted.

I wish it had a SSD hard drive, and I've had a few issues, but nothing that makes me regret it. First, and I'm certain it's a Win8 issue that I haven't looked hard enough to find a fix, the screen brightens and darkens, if the battery is below 100%, while it's charging. Second, which I wonder if it's related, the battery won't charge enough to increase the charge, if it's being used while charging, IF it's below about 20 - 30%. I rarely use it without being plugged in, though. Finally, if I'm watching videos, even starting from a full battery, the power drains faster than the cord charges it, so if I fall asleep, or forget to take it out of full screen, it eventually powers off due to low battery. So, my kids can't play games nonstop for more than 2 - 3 hours.

I installed Win8.1 preview, hoping that it will fix those issues, but I haven't tested that out. It was a display model, so perhaps the battery has issues, though it gives me plenty of life. Or, maybe they gave me the wrong cord. I have extended warranty, so I just need to contact them, if the reinstall didn't fix the charging/power drain issues.

That said, I really have liked it, even when using Visual Studio or other intensive apps. The screen is beautiful, I love the keyboard layout, and that it has plenty of USB. Pretty much everything is fast, as you'd expect, despite not having an SSD hard drive. And it survived a drop upside down (while closed) from my cat knocking it down. My teen boys and I haven't found many games it won't play well, and those are the ones you'd expect from just about any laptop not specifically designed for gamers, for less than $2k. I'd totally buy this, if I was looking for one.

stnwll

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stnwll
bmseaton wrote:Am I missing something or is that unboxing video not the same laptop.... For starters... the video shows an i5, this laptop on woot has an i7... And the video shows a P875-S7200... The one on woot is a P875-S7102B...

You're right it's not the same model.

Pretty good price. I like the 4 USB 3.0 ports. In for 1, thanks Woot :-)

fateforgotten

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fateforgotten

I bought a similar model new from BestBuy just yesterday. The model I have is P75-A7200. Not exactly the same but from what I can tell it's the same shell.

I like it quite a lot. Still getting used to Windows 8....anyone with a good guide for apps - or useful tips/shortcuts etc for someone who does know stuff about computers - would be greatly appreciated.

My computer has a fourth gen processor but its hd, 17.3' etc, etc, blah blah blah seems to be the same.

I've never bought a computer from Woot, but had I waited another day or two and saw this, I probably would've bought this and saved a couple hundred bucks.

My computer only has a 4 cell battery, this one a 6 cell, so I imagine the battery would last a little longer...this one leaves a bit to be desired. Mine can only go about 2.5 - 3 hrs while watching netflix...about 4 doing just word processing / browsing. It does charge very quickly, though.

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

According to Toshiba's official page, this laptop has been discontinued. With such current specs -- I mean, it has FOUR USB 3.0 ports! -- I wonder why that's the case.

From Toshiba:

This laptop is no longer available at most retail stores, online retailers, resellers, or ToshibaDirect.com.

I assume that this means that it's been discontinued.

sdc100

fateforgotten wrote:I bought a similar model new from BestBuy just yesterday. The model I have is P75-A7200. Not exactly the same but from what I can tell it's the same shell.

I like it quite a lot. Still getting used to Windows 8....anyone with a good guide for apps - or useful tips/shortcuts etc for someone who does know stuff about computers - would be greatly appreciated.

My computer has a fourth gen processor but its hd, 17.3' etc, etc, blah blah blah seems to be the same.

I've never bought a computer from Woot, but had I waited another day or two and saw this, I probably would've bought this and saved a couple hundred bucks.

My computer only has a 4 cell battery, this one a 6 cell, so I imagine the battery would last a little longer...this one leaves a bit to be desired. Mine can only go about 2.5 - 3 hrs while watching netflix...about 4 doing just word processing / browsing. It does charge very quickly, though.

Since your laptop is only a day old, why not return it and buy this? Even if BestBuy charges a restocking fee, you should still save a few hundred bucks --and increase your battery life!

As for Windows 8, I hate it with a passion. In fact, it's the first OS that I actively hate and would label user-unfriendly. And I've used many OSs from CP/M to DOS to OS/2 (Microsoft's precursor to Windows) to every version of Windows including Win ME and Vista. Then there are the non-PC platforms from Commodore, Atari, Timex-Sinclair, etc -- I've tried almost all of them. I'm not exactly a technophobe either, having been a programmer (and now a researcher). Windows 8 is by far the most frustrating, and for the first time, I may make the transition to Mac.

Win 8 defenders claim that it has everything that Win 7 had and so much more. And that Metro can be defeated with some add-ons to bring back Start (I use Pokki, but it's only semi-successful). Well, it's exactly the "so much more" that I detest. Microsoft should have just improved the OS core (i.e. speed and security) and left the user interface alone. Instead, in a desperate attempt to sell their failed tablets and cellphones, tried to make a hybrid UI that simply doesn't work on non-tablets. And that includes laptops with touchscreens. It's simply inefficient to have to lift your hands off the keyboard/touchpad to press the screen.

It seems as if every touchpad movement becomes a gesture and screens and menus are popping up all over the place. A simple cursor movement is interpreted as a swipe. No screen edge or corner is safe! I can't even put two fingers on my touchpad without it being misinterpreted. Yes, I know I can customize Win 8 and my touchpad but who has the freakin' time to do that AND clean up that bloatware-filled mess, the Metro desktop? I don't use 90% of that stuff, especially the Xbox whatever...

If Microsoft was sincere about Win 8 boosting productivity (as opposed to an attempt to sell phones and tablets), they would have implemented all the new UI features -- but left them for the users to turn on as desired! Not force them on us as is the case. The fact that they got rid of Start speaks volumes. Why not allow users to turn on Metro if they want, or stick with the old UI? Likewise for all the gestures, etc. I, for one, don't use Facebook, Twitter, any Xbox service, Netflix, etc. A nice calendar, news and weather widget is all I want on my desktop along with a few shortcuts. Nor do I appreciate most of the gestures and hotspots which I equate with noise pollution.

You've failed miserably, Microsoft. Better bring back the old UI with the upcoming update before Apple wises up and makes some low cost Macs. Then you'll really see people defect like never before.

GreatJorge

quality posts: 38 Private Messages GreatJorge

Here are some reviews:

1- Star stingy NOTEBOOK REVIEW likes it, "great desktop replaclement" but takes 1.5 stars off because it's big & beautiful "beautiful colorful 17+in display"click here for NotebookReview for details

2- TOSHIBA customers buying it NEW at $925.99 give it 4 stars (many 5's with some 3's) Toshiba reviewers here

3- CNET-UK reviewers paying £1,100 NEW ($1746.58 USD) give it 4 stars CNET review here

4-Amazon (Woot's momma) selling one left at $899.99 gets 5 stars from 2 reviewers Amazon review here

5-Slick Deals finds it in groupon refurb (like woot) for $515 but it's sold out.

MY OWN TWO CENTS:
Woot sells a laptop daily but never at full HD resolution (1920x1080) like this Toshiba. It also comes with an i7 processor, 4 USB-3's, 17+in display, for $499. I'm in for one. I own Macs because of all my image processing but I've been here looking for a full HD screen to maintain my professional photo site ( click here) remotely from outside the studio and so I'll be using it for browsing, minding the store, minor image work etc with all the heavy image updating on the Macs. Anyway, I'm NOT buying another Apple until they slay Mountain Lion and replace it with a Snow Leopard-like OS.
If you are looking for a desktop-replacement machine that can also play full HD video this is the one. At 6+ pounds may NOT be something to lug around.

Let's see how Microcrap's windows 8 behaves.

PS: If you want to upgrade it to a speed demon, you can bring the RAM memory to 32GB and get a bigger harddrive or put in a SSD. A link to Crucial is here.

And for $79 you can upgrade the 30 day toshiba warranty to a year Square Trade one.

cjsutherland

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cjsutherland

This is just a flat out good deal. Screen size is too big for me (not in the market for a laptop anyway). I think 15 ish is the sweet spot.

But again, specs/price this is just flat out a good deal.

Rhainor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rhainor

My mom bought either this or a very similar model, new, from Best Buy a month or two ago. I've used it some. Rather nice, with a few unexpected but spiffy features (connecting an audio source to the mic/line-in jack while the laptop is powered off will play the audio via the laptop's speakers, for starters). My only two complaints about it are the typical-for-laptops 5400 RPM hard drive and, more importantly, Windows 8. Win8 is *okay*, I guess, but if you're used to Win7, you might consider downgrading.

harun

quality posts: 1 Private Messages harun

Does anyone knows if I can upgrade graphic card ?

floridamatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages floridamatt

A great deal of the Windows 8 pain can be alleviated by installing one of the 3rd party start menu programs. Of the ones I looked at some time ago, ClassicStart and StartIsBack both allow you to easily operate entirely like win7, with all the metro c**p banished.

One of those will be the one of the first things I install.

floridamatt

daveofva

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daveofva
floridamatt wrote:A great deal of the Windows 8 pain can be alleviated by installing one of the 3rd party start menu programs. Of the ones I looked at some time ago, ClassicStart and StartIsBack both allow you to easily operate entirely like win7, with all the metro c**p banished.

One of those will be the one of the first things I install.

I happen to like that metro "c**p". Sure, it takes a little getting used to, but after you do, it's pretty awesome.

christopherlisting

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christopherlisting

Yeah. Am I missing something here? The specs are not only current but would be considered to be very top tier of the mid-level models. I dont understand how its so cheap. Can someone please offer an idea or maybe theres something that was really wrong with them, like they are severely refurbished ?

bobehm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobehm

Intel new haswell chipset for laptops is out. Anything without haswell is being discontinued.

floridamatt

christopherlisting wrote:Yeah. Am I missing something here? The specs are not only current but would be considered to be very top tier of the mid-level models. I dont understand how its so cheap. Can someone please offer an idea or maybe theres something that was really wrong with them, like they are severely refurbished ?

I've been looking at this and the P75-a7200 for a while now. The main "improvement" of the new model is a 4th generation i7, while this is 3rd gen. I'll also note that this is the only p875 that had full 1920x1080, while it appears that all the p70/p75 ones do. The P75-a7200 was on sale at bestbuy for $700 recently, so there's price pressure to move out the older models, and refurbs have to go even lower. Several used ones have gone for less than 500 on ebay, and while I was waiting to see if I could pick one up for closer to 400, this is less of a risk.

mitchwooter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mitchwooter

I refuse to buy Windows 8 forever.

christopherlisting

quality posts: 0 Private Messages christopherlisting
floridamatt wrote:I've been looking at this and the P75-a7200 for a while now. The main "improvement" of the new model is a 4th generation i7, while this is 3rd gen. I'll also note that this is the only p875 that had full 1920x1080, while it appears that all the p70/p75 ones do. The P75-a7200 was on sale at bestbuy for $700 recently, so there's price pressure to move out the older models, and refurbs have to go even lower. Several used ones have gone for less than 500 on ebay, and while I was waiting to see if I could pick one up for closer to 400, this is less of a risk.

Thanks for the next model in succession, after looking at the specs, the only difference really seems to be the 4th generation, which barely is more powerful than the previous 3rd generation....this indeed is quite a steal!

patric9956

quality posts: 7 Private Messages patric9956
sdc100 wrote:

As for Windows 8, I hate it with a passion. In fact, it's the first OS that I actively hate and would label user-unfriendly. And I've used many OSs from CP/M to DOS to OS/2 (Microsoft's precursor to Windows) to every version of Windows including Win ME and Vista. Then there are the non-PC platforms from Commodore, Atari, Timex-Sinclair, etc -- I've tried almost all of them. I'm not exactly a technophobe either, having been a programmer (and now a researcher). Windows 8 is by far the most frustrating, and for the first time, I may make the transition to Mac.

I shared your dislike of Win 8 before I purchased an ASUS Zen ultra-book on here a few weeks back and started using it. With a power-shell loaded that automatically loads to the desk top and finally learning how the touch input works - I can say that I have come to actually enjoy Win 8. Swapping between the desktop and metro screens is seamless with a touch screen and in fact I feel like I have multiple monitors on one screen - now THAT is cool. I still agree with you that the interface severely sucks with a keyboard and mouse. One other thing, as you well know, the innards of Win 8 will always be more secure than its predecessors.

I remember the OS/2 days also - 2.0 and 2.1 made Win 95 look broken.

sdc100

christopherlisting wrote:Yeah. Am I missing something here? The specs are not only current but would be considered to be very top tier of the mid-level models. I dont understand how its so cheap. Can someone please offer an idea or maybe theres something that was really wrong with them, like they are severely refurbished ?

It's been discontinued as per Toshiba's website. See my post above.

shortwave8669

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shortwave8669

Just an FYI-
This laptop has a 2nd empty HDD bay. It is quite easy to add a SSD. This is an undocumented feature I discovered when upgrading the RAM

Saintless wrote:I have the P875-S7310 (a very close model), that I purchased last March, on clearance, when it was being replaced by a new model. I love this laptop, though you have to like larger laptops. I'm a software developer, so I have to have a larger screen, so it's what I wanted.

I wish it had a SSD hard drive, and I've had a few issues, but nothing that makes me regret it. First, and I'm certain it's a Win8 issue that I haven't looked hard enough to find a fix, the screen brightens and darkens, if the battery is below 100%, while it's charging. Second, which I wonder if it's related, the battery won't charge enough to increase the charge, if it's being used while charging, IF it's below about 20 - 30%. I rarely use it without being plugged in, though. Finally, if I'm watching videos, even starting from a full battery, the power drains faster than the cord charges it, so if I fall asleep, or forget to take it out of full screen, it eventually powers off due to low battery. So, my kids can't play games nonstop for more than 2 - 3 hours.

I installed Win8.1 preview, hoping that it will fix those issues, but I haven't tested that out. It was a display model, so perhaps the battery has issues, though it gives me plenty of life. Or, maybe they gave me the wrong cord. I have extended warranty, so I just need to contact them, if the reinstall didn't fix the charging/power drain issues.

That said, I really have liked it, even when using Visual Studio or other intensive apps. The screen is beautiful, I love the keyboard layout, and that it has plenty of USB. Pretty much everything is fast, as you'd expect, despite not having an SSD hard drive. And it survived a drop upside down (while closed) from my cat knocking it down. My teen boys and I haven't found many games it won't play well, and those are the ones you'd expect from just about any laptop not specifically designed for gamers, for less than $2k. I'd totally buy this, if I was looking for one.

floridamatt

I've found the maintenance manual, which (among many other things) shows the second drive bay, and how to get to the two memory slots under the keyboard.
http://tech.nexicore.com/downloads/P870-P875_X870-X875_T572-T772.PDF

cassdysheila

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cassdysheila

Can someone explain to a very NON-computer person what the SSD thing is you are mentioning is missing?! What is it used for? I'm a court reporter and use a laptop at depositions and really just need something fast, w/lots of memory/storage, and great speakers, w/a slot for a SD card! Any help/advice is appreciated. This seems super cheap to me w/the comparisons of others I've looked at w/the i7.

sdc100

patric9956 wrote:I shared your dislike of Win 8 before I purchased an ASUS Zen ultra-book on here a few weeks back and started using it. With a power-shell loaded that automatically loads to the desk top and finally learning how the touch input works - I can say that I have come to actually enjoy Win 8. Swapping between the desktop and metro screens is seamless with a touch screen and in fact I feel like I have multiple monitors on one screen - now THAT is cool. I still agree with you that the interface severely sucks with a keyboard and mouse. One other thing, as you well know, the innards of Win 8 will always be more secure than its predecessors.

I remember the OS/2 days also - 2.0 and 2.1 made Win 95 look broken.

Oh I love the innards of Win 8, and do notice the speed difference. But why freakin' force that horrible UI on us??? Seriously, let users turn on the new features as they wish but leave the old UI as the default. That would make transitioning so much easier -- for those who want to transition. For those of us who don't do social media, and want as little distraction as possible, let us stick with the old UI. YOu can even make cute little videos and Setup Wizards to turn on those new interface features. But please don't force it down our throats...

As for touchscreens with a keyboard, I'm not a fan. I've used touchscreen PCs before Win 8 and found them inefficient. It takes more time and energy to lift my hand to touch the screen then to move my finger on a touchpad. And then I'd have to re-orient my hand to the keyboard. I love the touchscreen on my Asus Transformer tablet, but once I attach the keyboard (with touchpad), I touch the screen as little as possible.

I think Microsoft will soon come out with desperation ads begging people to love Win 8, just as they did with Vista.

cjsutherland

cassdysheila wrote:Can someone explain to a very NON-computer person what the SSD thing is you are mentioning is missing?! What is it used for? I'm a court reporter and use a laptop at depositions and really just need something fast, w/lots of memory/storage, and great speakers, w/a slot for a SD card! Any help/advice is appreciated. This seems super cheap to me w/the comparisons of others I've looked at w/the i7.

Solid State Drive. In a nutshell...a VERY fast hard drive (not mechanical).

The new "it" thing with computers. I have a 256GB one for my desktop that I loaded the OS (operating system) to. I wasn't a believer until then...noticeably faster.

cassdysheila

cjsutherland wrote:Solid State Drive. In a nutshell...a VERY fast hard drive (not mechanical).

The new "it" thing with computers. I have a 256GB one for my desktop that I loaded the OS (operating system) to. I wasn't a believer until then...noticeably faster.

So is this one not considered fast then? I currently use a crappy Gateway that is AMD so I'm assuming ANYTHING is going to seem super fast compared to what I have now?

cjsutherland

cassdysheila wrote:So is this one not considered fast then? I currently use a crappy Gateway that is AMD so I'm assuming ANYTHING is going to seem super fast compared to what I have now?

AMD makes good products...depends on what you are looking for.

The HD in this is 5400 rpm's. The standard for low-mid tier now is 7200. You can get 10,000 and more if you pay but it is a waste IMO.

But for those prices I would get a SSD.

So this HD isn't "slow" it is just the slowest RPM speed you can basically get nowadays.

cassdysheila

cjsutherland wrote:AMD makes good products...depends on what you are looking for.

The HD in this is 5400 rpm's. The standard for low-mid tier now is 7200. You can get 10,000 and more if you pay but it is a waste IMO.

But for those prices I would get a SSD.

So this HD isn't "slow" it is just the slowest RPM speed you can basically get nowadays.

Okay, thank you for your help!! Much appreciated!

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

If you hanker for a very nice desktop replacement this looks like a perfect match. I wish I were looking for one.

+ Intel i7 CPU (4th gen would have been nicer for battery management, but this is a large not so portable laptop).

+ $500 - very rare to see an i7 with 1080p new for $500.

+ Large 17 inch screen with 1080p resolution - where are all the 1366x768 resolution haters? They should be cheering!

+ To my eye a very nice, clean design.

+ Toshiba brand - we've had wonderful experience with them. We own 5 going back 7 years and none of them have broken. The older ones became technology-obsolete. (They still boot.)

+ Manufacturer Recertified with manufacturer warranty vs the crap shoot unknown 3rd party refurb and woot warranty.

- Not so thin or light, but you pay big bucks to get that in a 17 inch laptop and they're hard to find.

BTW, to the comments about it being discontinued, almost any new laptop model you buy today will buy will be discontinued within 6-8 months, perhaps 12. If you're down to excuses like that, jump in, buy it!

PS: for you backlit keyboard folks woot even checked that box off!

sdc100

cassdysheila wrote:Can someone explain to a very NON-computer person what the SSD thing is you are mentioning is missing?! What is it used for? I'm a court reporter and use a laptop at depositions and really just need something fast, w/lots of memory/storage, and great speakers, w/a slot for a SD card! Any help/advice is appreciated. This seems super cheap to me w/the comparisons of others I've looked at w/the i7.

SSD stand for Solid State Drive. SSDs combine the best features of a regular hard drive and an SD card. Hard drives are great because they're relatively fast and have all kinds of built in self-diagnostics to maintain data integrity. But they're mechanical, meaning they are energy hogs, noisy, runs hot, and prone to breakage from impact. SD cards use little energy, runs cool and quiet, and can survive falls and bumps. But they're incredibly slow and unreliable. An SSD is even faster than most hard drives yet lacks all its disadvantages because there are no moving parts. To the computer, it just looks like another hard drive so you have complete compatibility, including diagnostics and self-correction. The biggest disadvantages are cost and capacity, so a regular hard drive is still the way to go for most people.

If capacity is not an issue, you can replace your hard drive with a 128 gb SSD for about $100-$150. Transfer over Win 8 and you won't be left with much room for data and programs. A more common solution is to have a hybrid setup of both a regular hard drive and an SSD. You can put Win 8 and any other commonly-assessed files/apps on the SSD, while regular less-used files go on the hard drive. That should speed up your system. The problem is that most laptops don't have the space for both. Rumor has it that this Toshiba does have a bay for a second drive so you may be in luck...

jonryan18

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jonryan18

I've been looking for a name brand 17in. i5 for a non-tech friend to replace his old Vaio. This Toshiba with the i7,2.4GHZ for $500! This fits the bill and more. Probably should have bought a second for myself.

petuniapie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petuniapie

Can you help? I know very little about Windows 8. What are my options for running the (1) MS Office and (2)Adobe suites? Any help appreciated!

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
petuniapie wrote:Can you help? I know very little about Windows 8. What are my options for running the (1) MS Office and (2)Adobe suites? Any help appreciated!

@petuniapie, no issues here at all. This laptop will run those nicely.

xxtermin8rxxx

quality posts: 3 Private Messages xxtermin8rxxx
sdc100 wrote:Since your laptop is only a day old, why not return it and buy this? Even if BestBuy charges a restocking fee, you should still save a few hundred bucks --and increase your battery life!

Win 8 defenders claim that it has everything that Win 7 had and so much more. And that Metro can be defeated with some add-ons to bring back Start (I use Pokki, but it's only semi-successful). Well, it's exactly the "so much more" that I detest. Microsoft should have just improved the OS core (i.e. speed and security) and left the user interface alone. Instead, in a desperate attempt to sell their failed tablets and cellphones, tried to make a hybrid UI that simply doesn't work on non-tablets. And that includes laptops with touchscreens. It's simply inefficient to have to lift your hands off the keyboard/touchpad to press the screen.

It seems as if every touchpad movement becomes a gesture and screens and menus are popping up all over the place. A simple cursor movement is interpreted as a swipe. No screen edge or corner is safe! I can't even put two fingers on my touchpad without it being misinterpreted. Yes, I know I can customize Win 8 and my touchpad but who has the freakin' time to do that AND clean up that bloatware-filled mess, the Metro desktop? I don't use 90% of that stuff, especially the Xbox whatever...

If Microsoft was sincere about Win 8 boosting productivity (as opposed to an attempt to sell phones and tablets), they would have implemented all the new UI features -- but left them for the users to turn on as desired! Not force them on us as is the case. The fact that they got rid of Start speaks volumes. Why not allow users to turn on Metro if they want, or stick with the old UI? Likewise for all the gestures, etc. I, for one, don't use Facebook, Twitter, any Xbox service, Netflix, etc. A nice calendar, news and weather widget is all I want on my desktop along with a few shortcuts. Nor do I appreciate most of the gestures and hotspots which I equate with noise pollution.

You've failed miserably, Microsoft. Better bring back the old UI with the upcoming update before Apple wises up and makes some low cost Macs. Then you'll really see people defect like never before.

Fantastic! I hope Microsoft really pays attention to your long-winded post on some website!

sdc100

I don't mean to belittle your profession but this computer seems like overkill for what you need done. Basically, it sounds like you're doing mostly sophisticated word processing with some multimedia thrown in. If true, then a $300 i3 laptop should be fine. In fact, even older generation AMD and Pentium laptops should be fine. Generally speaking, text processing software takes very little computing power -- even if you're the fastest typist in the world. To the computer, it's mostly downtime as it waits for your next keystroke. Audio processing also takes very little power, which is why you can listen to MP3s on a dinky little $10 player. Even videos do fine on a weak modern computer if the resolution isn't HD. Most laptops sound fine for speech recordings but you can always plug in some $20 speakers if you need higher volume.

As for memory and storage, text really takes up very little storage. That's especially true if you use compression (text files are highly compressible). You should be fine with a 250gb drive if text is your main data. You can always buy an external drive as needed, and backup older files onto DVDs. As for RAM, 4gb should be fine since it doesn't sound like you'll be multitasking, i.e. running multiple programs simultaneously.

If you really want a cheap i7 laptop, and portability is important, consider the 14" Asus Q400A which uses an i7-Q3632QM. I got mine for $465 (no tax, free s/h). It runs fast, is small and light, and battery life is excellent. I also bought an i5-based 17" Acer m5-581t-6405 for $345. The i5 Acer is much slower than the i7 Asus, but it does have a 20gb SSD to speed things up.

beachhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beachhead
jonryan18 wrote:I've been looking for a name brand 17in. i5 for a non-tech friend to replace his old Vaio. This Toshiba with the i7,2.4GHZ for $500! This fits the bill and more. Probably should have bought a second for myself.

The woot meanies are only allowing you to buy ONE today though...

floridamatt

cassdysheila wrote:So is this one not considered fast then? I currently use a crappy Gateway that is AMD so I'm assuming ANYTHING is going to seem super fast compared to what I have now?

"Fast" depends. Fire up task manager on your gateway (right-click on taskbar & choose it). There are generally 3 interdependent factors. If your processor utilization is high, this machine is likely a lot faster unless you have a high-end Gateway. If your disk light is on a whole lot, and memory utilization is high, this machine is probably faster, especially if the commit number in task mgr is near or above your physical memory. If your proc and memory use aren't bad, and the disk is busy, this machine might be a good deal but only if you add $100-200 for an SSD or faster hard drive.

These are generalizations, but at least they should give you a place to start looking.

I'll be putting in a 160gb ssd, not the fastest out there but it should do what I need. The 750gb will be used for lightly-used files and backups. (If you aren't occasionally asking yourself if you have too many backups, you probably don't).