WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Toshiba 15.6" Quad-Core AMD A8 Laptop

Speed to First Woot:
5m 45.660s
First Sucker:
huberthunbad
Last Wooter to Woot:
dmy505
Last Purchase:
10 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 47% of Woot.com Woots
Top 33% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 22% of Woot.com Woots
Top 17% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 24% first woot
  • 9% second woot
  • 28% < 10 woots
  • 16% < 25 woots
  • 23% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 18% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 3% one month old
  • 9% one year old
  • 69% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

2%
1%
1%
1%
0%
2%
3%
5%
9%
8%
7%
9%
8%
6%
8%
4%
6%
4%
2%
4%
1%
3%
2%
1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


ninjabb4


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ninjabb4

More infro from Toshiba

lichme


quality posts: 2680 Private Messages lichme

Here are some reviews from Amazon

Learn how to replace the HD

ninjabb4


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ninjabb4

For those who hate Windows 8 - This laptop can be easily downgraded to Windows 7.

Checkout Drivers & Software

sdc100


quality posts: 502 Private Messages sdc100

With a keypad, this is great as an inexpensive portable office since it's perfectly adequate for word processing, email, data entry and most Web surfing. Unfortunately, the cpu is very slow by today's standards. In fact, with a Passmark of only 1967 (ranked 682), it's slower than many i3s. But it's only $329 so you really can't go wrong. For the casual user, including many students and grandparents, this is the perfect computer. And when it comes time to upgrade, you won't feel too bad since it was only $329. Compare that with MacBook owners...

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3142 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's all check out this handy processor guide

Figit090


quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090
sdc100 wrote:...Compare that with MacBook owners...



hahahaha. yep!

kevinwangjiakan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevinwangjiakan
sdc100 wrote:With a keypad, this is great as an inexpensive portable office since it's perfectly adequate for word processing, email, data entry and most Web surfing. Unfortunately, the cpu is very slow by today's standards. In fact, with a Passmark of only 1967 (ranked 682), it's slower than many i3s. But it's only $329 so you really can't go wrong. For the casual user, including many students and grandparents, this is the perfect computer. And when it comes time to upgrade, you won't feel too bad since it was only $329. Compare that with MacBook owners...



Just sold my 3 year old Macbook pro for $560, which was bought for $1100. Wonder how much value can you get back for a PC after 3 years of intensive usage.

jefft19


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jefft19
kevinwangjiakan wrote:Just sold my 3 year old Macbook pro for $560, which was bought for $1100. Wonder how much value can you get back for a PC after 3 years of intensive usage.



I would still be $211 ahead. Your cost: $1100, you recouped $560, meaning yours cost you $540 to use for 3 years. This one would still only cost $329 to use for 3 years, netting $211 ahead. Macbooks are still way overpriced.

ShadowFalls


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ShadowFalls

Toshiba's quality has gone downhill and they do not stand behind their products. Not a real surprise for this not to be new. Almost every model has some defect.

groundz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages groundz
jefft19 wrote:I would still be $211 ahead. Your cost: $1100, you recouped $560, meaning yours cost you $540 to use for 3 years. This one would still only cost $329 to use for 3 years, netting $211 ahead. Macbooks are still way overpriced.



And you'd still have the computer. If you sold it for super cheap, like $100, which you'd obviously have zero problems doing, you'd have only spent $229 for your time with it.

fernando65


quality posts: 2 Private Messages fernando65

Got my parents a $350 Toshiba laptop a couple years back. Not thrilled about it, works well most of the time but once every couple of months it wont turn on unless we pull the batt for a while. Also- usb ports are finiky. Otherwise doing well. Only other complaint is how plastic and glossy the whole unit is, build quality not 100%, the thing flexes a lot- but for the price who cares!

ciscoguy35


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ciscoguy35
ninjabb4 wrote:For those who hate Windows 8 - This laptop can be easily downgraded to Windows 7.

Checkout Drivers & Software



Or you can scrap windows all together and put any linux OS on it like Linux Mint or Ubuntu for Linux.My Satellite runs great with linux.

drp1103


quality posts: 3 Private Messages drp1103
jefft19 wrote:I would still be $211 ahead. Your cost: $1100, you recouped $560, meaning yours cost you $540 to use for 3 years. This one would still only cost $329 to use for 3 years, netting $211 ahead. Macbooks are still way overpriced.




Well that shoots a hole in the Apple resale value theory, eh?

Flats


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Flats

I've got a 17" Toshiba Sat that's about 6 years old that still works great. Upgraded about 3 years ago with a 15" Toshiba Sat that still works good. Both Woot reconditioned purchases. I see this one today and wonder how it compares with my newest one. Sad to say it has a slower processer, less memory, and smaller HD than my last purchase. So not for me. That said, my reconditioned Toshibas have been very reliable while my wife has gone through 2 HP laptops that crashed and burned. She's got a Toshiba now too - 2 years old and no problems.

neilf


quality posts: 1 Private Messages neilf

Will someone please explain why most laptops have the touch pad toward the left side, when the majority of people are right-handed???

possessed


quality posts: 0 Private Messages possessed
neilf wrote:Will someone please explain why most laptops have the touch pad toward the left side, when the majority of people are right-handed???



I think it's not so much shifted left, but centered in the main keyboard area (where your right hand is likely to stay, and can more easily access the trackpad with minimal movement).

anachostic


quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic

This seems like near the same model I got two months ago, except mine had a newer processor (A10 vs. A8), bigger HD (750GB vs. 640GB), and twice the RAM (8GB vs. 4GB). I paid $50 more than this.

Considering you can't change the processor on laptops, and upgrading the RAM and HD are going to cost more than $50, I think I did better. But, for a typical user, I would bump the RAM up and enjoy the savings.

My Toshiba hasn't caused me a bit of trouble yet.

Jayrookie


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie

I am posting from this exact computer and I am not a computer buff or snob, but I got this about 15 months ago and I have had ZERO problems with it. Handles certain games like Diablo 3, and League of Legends with ease. Battery life is impeccable. I love the full size screen and the resolution is nice also. HDMI out for those who would use it. ONLY DOWNFALL is mine has 3 HDMI and not any more, I am sorry I didn't check the description but I recommend 100 times over.

babboa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages babboa

The features writeup seems to have the wrong specs. Says it has an a6-3400 CPU not the a8. All the other info has the a8 listed so I'll assume that's the correct one.

ebnub


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ebnub

I built a HTPC with an AMD A8 about two years ago and it's still going strong and has been running 24/7. AMD's A8 might measure lower than an i3 in CPU speed, however it's graphics capabilities are more advanced than an i3.

My 4 or 5 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop on the other hand is dead as a door nail. I'm done with Toshiba laptops, that thing was nothing but problems starting one month into owning it.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

babboa wrote:The features writeup seems to have the wrong specs. Says it has an a6-3400 CPU not the a8. All the other info has the a8 listed so I'll assume that's the correct one.


Good catch. We've fixed the sale to note the A8-4500M CPU.

Thanks!



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dfrohlich


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfrohlich

Can anyone shed some light on it being a factory reconditioned computer. Good value? Is there a warranty?

What are the con's I'm missing besides it not being brand new.

cage017


quality posts: 6 Private Messages cage017
ShadowFalls wrote:Toshiba's quality has gone downhill and they do not stand behind their products. Not a real surprise for this not to be new. Almost every model has some defect.



That's sad. I have a Toshiba Satellite NB255-250 netbook and a portable Toshiba optical drive which I got 3 years ago; all new for $350.

The netbook is like the little engine that could. The main problems I have are the speed (it runs on an Intel Atom) and it does this thing where it confuses left mouse clicks for right mouse clicks sometimes. After a while, it won't let me click on the taskbar so I have to do ctrl+alt+del then click "cancel" as if to reset the screen and it works fine. I have since maxed out the RAM to 2GB and used Chrome which helps it run faster.

The optical drive works well but it can sometimes be a pain to close since it's so thin. One time the tray came out and I had to carefully put it back in. It looks cheaply made and feels like plastic.

I have since upgraded to a Samsung portable Blu Ray player (plays DVD's on the netbook but can't handle Blu Ray due to the graphics card)and have had much better experiences with the Samsung brand. I recently got an Asus tablet which I plan on using as the netbook replacement.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

dfrohlich wrote:Can anyone shed some light on it being a factory reconditioned computer. Good value? Is there a warranty?

What are the con's I'm missing besides it not being brand new.


The warranty is listed at the bottom of the features for each item. For this one, it's 90 Day Toshiba.

A "factory reconditioned" item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It's as close to new as you can get without technically being "new".



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rtechie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtechie

Total garbage, even for the price. I've see this laptop for as little as $250 online.

I've handled one of these in person. It's creaky plastic and the keyboard and trackpad are awful, with terrible travel and slow response. Windows 8 gestures had difficulty.
The display is awful. It's a 15" 1366 X 768 non-HD non-touchscreen with terrible color saturation.
AMD A8 CPU is slow and gives terrible battery life for laptops.

The one good thing about this laptop is the GPU. The Radeon 7640G is much better embedded GPU than Intel equivalents, so this laptop might be slightly better for gaming than a Core i3 system. Very slightly.

You can do a lot better.

bluemaple


quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
rtechie wrote:Total garbage, even for the price. I've see this laptop for as little as $250 online.

I've handled one of these in person. It's creaky plastic and the keyboard and trackpad are awful, with terrible travel and slow response. Windows 8 gestures had difficulty.
The display is awful. It's a 15" 1366 X 768 non-HD non-touchscreen with terrible color saturation.
AMD A8 CPU is slow and gives terrible battery life for laptops.

The one good thing about this laptop is the GPU. The Radeon 7640G is much better embedded GPU than Intel equivalents, so this laptop might be slightly better for gaming than a Core i3 system. Very slightly.

You can do a lot better.


@rtechie,
Links please?

I might be interested if it is a comparable/quality seller with 50+ available (goes to credibility) and Toshiba refurb/warranty. I like Toshiba laptops - they've served our family very well.

powelldavid6


quality posts: 0 Private Messages powelldavid6

I have the i3-3110 version of this laptop, and I love it. I upgraded the RAM to 8 GB, and it is very fast. I play NFS World on this without it slowing down. I am actually writing this comment on it now. I paid $400 for this back when Best Buy had the i3 version, and I still think it was a great value. I recommend it to anyone looking for a low cost high value portable system. Happy Hunting!

coolbro12389


quality posts: 3 Private Messages coolbro12389

I have a Toshiba that's about a year or so old now. and as far as the build quality, for a inexpensive laptop i haven't had any issues, as said before the glossy does show alot of fingerprints and its a little creeky, but overall im happy with it. Runs a little slow from time to time due to the terribly slow HDD but its been good to me so far, esp once i deleted all that trial software lol

abhiabhi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages abhiabhi

Woot Staff,
Do you guys have any more ASUS ROG series laptops coming some time soon?

Also, I guess you should have a feature where we can set some products on our watch list (by product name or some keywords) and if any of your daily or woot-off offerings match the keywords we add on our watch list, we can get a notification.

Does it sound too much to ask for?

abhil@sh

ROGETRAY


quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

abhiabhi wrote:Woot Staff,
Do you guys have any more ASUS ROG series laptops coming some time soon?

Also, I guess you should have a feature where we can set some products on our watch list (by product name or some keywords) and if any of your daily or woot-off offerings match the keywords we add on our watch list, we can get a notification.

Does it sound too much to ask for?



I can't necessarily answer your first question, but I can certainly forward your post onto staff members. It sounds like an excellent idea.

Third answer: No, no it's doesn't sound like much to ask for.

j647


quality posts: 1 Private Messages j647
sdc100 wrote:With a keypad, this is great as an inexpensive portable office since it's perfectly adequate for word processing, email, data entry and most Web surfing. Unfortunately, the cpu is very slow by today's standards. In fact, with a Passmark of only 1967 (ranked 682), it's slower than many i3s. But it's only $329 so you really can't go wrong. For the casual user, including many students and grandparents, this is the perfect computer. And when it comes time to upgrade, you won't feel too bad since it was only $329. Compare that with MacBook owners...



...who get to keep their computers for more than 6 months...

magichamsta


quality posts: 0 Private Messages magichamsta
j647 wrote:...who get to keep their computers for more than 6 months...



Most people out there.
Virtually all desktops will easily last more than 3 years. Especially if custom built. (Every part has independent warranties.)

My oldest computer is a ~14 year old Toshiba laptop built like a tank. (Survived numerous 3+ feet falls when I was younger.) Can barely run WinXP but is still amusing to have around.

lotusstp


quality posts: 4 Private Messages lotusstp

That was my first thought as well. purchased the S855D-S5120 & gave it to my son for college. HDD died, under warranty, and I performed a clean install of Windows 8.1 RTM. Very nice laptop for the $$.

anachostic wrote:This seems like near the same model I got two months ago, except mine had a newer processor (A10 vs. A8), bigger HD (750GB vs. 640GB), and twice the RAM (8GB vs. 4GB). I paid $50 more than this.

Considering you can't change the processor on laptops, and upgrading the RAM and HD are going to cost more than $50, I think I did better. But, for a typical user, I would bump the RAM up and enjoy the savings.

My Toshiba hasn't caused me a bit of trouble yet.



frankmcnair


quality posts: 0 Private Messages frankmcnair

I must say, while I am somewhat happy with the performance, my unit came loaded with spyware from the box. I didn't even hook it up to the internet and the pop-ups started. I can get 2 or 3 clicks of the mouse, and then a pop-up will happen.

I haven't even been able to download the proper software to rid it of the spyware because it will take me to a different software page any time I go to a anti-spy/malware page.

Once I rid it of spyware, it will be a very good value, until then, it is just a large hard drive.