WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with Book Cover

Speed to First Woot:
7m 37.003s
First Sucker:
Flewpz
Last Wooter to Woot:
fakeusername
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 49% of Woot.com Woots
Top 29% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 16% of Woot.com Woots
Top 11% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 19% first woot
  • 10% second woot
  • 31% < 10 woots
  • 20% < 25 woots
  • 19% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 11% joined today
  • 2% one week old
  • 4% one month old
  • 14% one year old
  • 68% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

3%
2%
2%
1%
1%
1%
3%
4%
6%
9%
8%
6%
6%
4%
5%
6%
5%
3%
3%
3%
5%
3%
5%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 2943 Private Messages lichme

Info, reviews, and more at the Product Page
Lots of comments from a sale without the case


[MOD: Product page is for the 32GB version]

lichme


quality posts: 2943 Private Messages lichme

Item: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 with Book Cover
Price: $289.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Search Amazon Search Google

ckeilah


quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Are we quite certain that it comes with ice cream sandwich? I'm pretty sure the note 8.0 comes with jellybean, And they're basically the same device on the inside.

BTW, the built in Wacom tablet is the best thing to come along for tablets since, well, tablets! This is a no-brainer for artists! Do be aware though that a new note, with true high-resolution display, is just over the horizon.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

pakopako


quality posts: 2 Private Messages pakopako

Stock model uses ICS.

Also, had to look for it elsewhere, but the quad-core mentioned is an A9 Exynos and NOT the Tegra.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ckeilah wrote:Are we quite certain that it comes with ice cream sandwich? I'm pretty sure the note 8.0 comes with jellybean, And they're basically the same device on the inside.
...

Per the vendor, it comes with ICS and you can upgrade it to JB.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3537 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Additional info and TONS of great reviews (4.7 out of 5.0) over at samsung.com

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3537 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of great reviews (4.7 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3537 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch a VERY thorough review

Sokudoningyou


quality posts: 8 Private Messages Sokudoningyou

I love mine. It's replaced all my notebooks for school, as well as the laptop in general for classes.

I do suggest replacing the pen if you're going to use it for writing and/or art extensively, as the S-Pen is awkward to do either with long term. (Or it was for me, anyway.) The Bamboo feel is what I have.

badhabit12


quality posts: 14 Private Messages badhabit12



You might want to wait a few more weeks before you buy one....

A new model is being released in a few days time. That will drive prices way down ......

Also its the end of the year ... so there will be pressure to get rid of old inventory in the warehouses.

One more reason prices are heading south......

For the patient person better deals are coming..


dbdigital


quality posts: 8 Private Messages dbdigital

Walmart has for $10 more but 2 year protection is $36 which is $8 less than Square Trade and 1 year MORE. Take your pick...think Walmart will be around...and nearby!

ILGal


quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

I've had mine for almost a year. LOVE it. Use it daily. I haven't touched a pad of paper in all that time. Long battery life, great front-facing speakers, good screen.

Visit this website for a series of videos about how to really push this device in the note-taking department. The gal who made them is a student who has filmed herself using the Note to take extensive, detailed, formatted notes, marking up PowerPoint slides and PDF files, in college.

sdc100


quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100

Can't the S-note run on other tablets? The only thing special about Samsung's implementation seems to be the pressure sensitive S-pen. But even that should be easily ported to other tablets since all pressure measurement lies in the pen and not the tablet. Otherwise it's just a capacitive pen which you can find for a dollar on eBay. Add Bluetooth and a strain gauge and you'd have this pen.

Corrosive


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Corrosive
sdc100 wrote:Can't the S-note run on other tablets? The only thing special about Samsung's implementation seems to be the pressure sensitive S-pen. But even that should be easily ported to other tablets since all pressure measurement lies in the pen and not the tablet. Otherwise it's just a capacitive pen which you can find for a dollar on eBay. Add Bluetooth and a strain gauge and you'd have this pen.



NOPE! Its a wiacom pen, not just some capacitive pen. The fact that you can use the pen and rest your palm on this makes it special. The digitizer layer is primo.

bklamber5


quality posts: 1 Private Messages bklamber5

Is the tablet refurbished by Samsung, or by a third party?

topheavy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages topheavy
ckeilah wrote:Are we quite certain that it comes with ice cream sandwich? I'm pretty sure the note 8.0 comes with jellybean, And they're basically the same device on the inside.

BTW, the built in Wacom tablet is the best thing to come along for tablets since, well, tablets! This is a no-brainer for artists! Do be aware though that a new note, with true high-resolution display, is just over the horizon.



too bad all the really great art apps like Artrage and Brushes are iOS only.

gfreek12000


quality posts: 1 Private Messages gfreek12000

2 Month old Note is on it's way back to Samsung now... The camera flash light would have a mind of it's own....

blacman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages blacman
sdc100 wrote:Can't the S-note run on other tablets? The only thing special about Samsung's implementation seems to be the pressure sensitive S-pen. But even that should be easily ported to other tablets since all pressure measurement lies in the pen and not the tablet. Otherwise it's just a capacitive pen which you can find for a dollar on eBay. Add Bluetooth and a strain gauge and you'd have this pen.



Another important difference is that the customized pen interface can be used for all apps. Personally, I think that's the nicest thing about the tablet. I get a very nice pen interface to use regardless of the app. S-pen apps are a little nicer because they will recognize the pressure sensitivity. But the app is great for non-spen apps such as email. The interface is created for this tablet. You won't get it on any thing else.

I bought mine from Woot in Feb for $100 more and no cover. Hey Woot, can I at least get a cover?

gabes821


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gabes821

I might be missing it... but is there a warranty on the tablet? I see a 90-day for the cover.

epatriot


quality posts: 1 Private Messages epatriot

I've never had a tablet before, but my old laptop has reached its "hot flash" stage, burning my thighs after about 10 minutes of operation, and I really don't need computer processing capability. So, I'm in for one... I just hope it will be gentle with me, being well, you know, my first time and all.

I feel so vulnerable; the last time I felt like this was Prom Night.

kittyhawkwoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kittyhawkwoot
ckeilah wrote:Are we quite certain that it comes with ice cream sandwich? I'm pretty sure the note 8.0 comes with jellybean, And they're basically the same device on the inside.



Bought mine ($499) about a year ago. It doesn't matter what OS version it comes with. Because it is a direct (not bound to a specific company like Verizon, etc) Samsung product, it will update to latest version (via Wifi) available for the tablet automatically. Mine is running Jellybean 4.1.2 at the moment.
This is a great tablet IMHO. I have used it nearly daily for 2-5 hours a day for research,and then some days longer when reading a novel. Never a hiccup and the battery life is still great.
I don't use the pen much, but an artist friend tried it and was impressed with the pressure sensitivity. Multiple apps open at once is also a convenience.

emersm


quality posts: 0 Private Messages emersm

The specs on this unit say the resolution is 1280 X 800 and the operating system is: Android™ 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich); Upgradeable to 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
Display Size: 10.1"

Not the same specs as the one on this website which compares the IPad, Sony and Galaxy 10.1

http://blog.gsmarena.com/living-room-mexican-standoff-samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-2014-vs-apple-ipad-4-vs-sony-xperia-tablet-z/

ladyoftheword


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ladyoftheword
sdc100 wrote:Can't the S-note run on other tablets? The only thing special about Samsung's implementation seems to be the pressure sensitive S-pen. But even that should be easily ported to other tablets since all pressure measurement lies in the pen and not the tablet. Otherwise it's just a capacitive pen which you can find for a dollar on eBay. Add Bluetooth and a strain gauge and you'd have this pen.



The S pen is exclusive to specific Samsung note devices. It's better than a stylus you find on ebay, WAY more accurate. Great for note taking and creating presentations for work AND school. Plus, dual Window means you can have your readings on one side and the notepad on the other.

That being said, if you don't do a lot of reading with note taking (or material creation in general, I'd suggest spending less on a tablet meant for media consumption (like a kindle or nook)

Wootificator


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wootificator
emersm wrote:The specs on this unit say the resolution is 1280 X 800 and the operating system is: Android™ 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich); Upgradeable to 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
Display Size: 10.1"

Not the same specs as the one on this website which compares the IPad, Sony and Galaxy 10.1

http://blog.gsmarena.com/living-room-mexican-standoff-samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-2014-vs-apple-ipad-4-vs-sony-xperia-tablet-z/



The headline of your link specifically says the 2014 version of the Note 10.1, which has higher resolution than previous models.

I can haz moar fireworkz please?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gabes821 wrote:I might be missing it... but is there a warranty on the tablet? I see a 90-day for the cover.


That's for both. 90 Day Nuko



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sdc100


quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100
Corrosive wrote:NOPE! Its a wiacom pen, not just some capacitive pen. The fact that you can use the pen and rest your palm on this makes it special. The digitizer layer is primo.



A Wacom pen is basically a capacitive pen with a strain gauge to measure pressure (the same technology in electronic scales). That's why I said that all you need to do is add Bluetooth and a strain gauge to an ordinary $2 capacitive pen and you'd have a S-pen. Being able to rest your palm is super simple. All you have to do is to disable a tablet's multi-touch or multi-point feature whenever it detects the pen being used (through the stain gauge). The tablet will then only register the pen and ignore your palm. There is no need for any primo digitizing layer.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bklamber5 wrote:Is the tablet refurbished by Samsung, or by a third party?


Nuko is the Same company that Samsung contracts to do their refurbishing.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

sdc100


quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100
blacman wrote:Another important difference is that the customized pen interface can be used for all apps. Personally, I think that's the nicest thing about the tablet. I get a very nice pen interface to use regardless of the app. S-pen apps are a little nicer because they will recognize the pressure sensitivity. But the app is great for non-spen apps such as email. The interface is created for this tablet. You won't get it on any thing else.

I bought mine from Woot in Feb for $100 more and no cover. Hey Woot, can I at least get a cover?



Pressure sensitivity is easy to implement. Just add a cheap strain gauge to the nib of the pen. And this Samsung is not revolutionary at all. From 2005 until last year I was running Win XP tablet edition on a Fujitsu tablet. Not only did it use a stylus but it had very accurate handwriting and voice recognition. It even recognized my messy medical cursive. And it ran the REAL Microsoft Office so I was able to use all the advanced editing to write 50 page scientific papers. Not bad for a 900 mhz Celeron tablet that I bought on eBay for $110!

sdc100


quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100
ThunderThighs wrote:Nuko is the same company that Samsung contracts to do their refurbishing.



Nuko is great. The one guy I dealt with was friendly, knowledgeable and funny. He even told me a little secret... If you don't want to pay for shipping, you have to request a prepaid shipping label. Their policy is not to offer it automatically. And it helps to say "please." The guy was so nice, my girlfriend insisted he was flirting with me.

samblam


quality posts: 0 Private Messages samblam
conanthelibrarian wrote:TONS of great reviews (4.7 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com



That's where I got mine, and it was about $10 cheaper at the time than this deal but no cover. I haven't had any issues with mine. It came just like new. I love having the big screen,but we don't have anything to prop it up with so we'll have to get a cover.

The system came with 4.0.4 and I haven't seen a compelling reason to upgrade yet. It seems plenty fast. The built in speakers work great for watching videos.

All in all, I'd say this would be a good buy if you want a big tablet that's quick for about as cheap as you can find (without testing your luck on some of the no-names out there).

Unrelated, the windows tablets have gotten very price competitive recently, and I love their interface but there are still a few apps I need that aren't in their eco system yet.

NocturnalOne


quality posts: 2 Private Messages NocturnalOne

Looks like the charge port is some large custom thingy instead of standard micro USB. It looks like aftermarket chargers and cables are cheap but still. When traveling it's annoying to remember to bring all the cables you need.

Still, this looks like a nice tablet to have. I wonder why high end tablets like this don't have GPS built in. Every phone does and it's a cheap module to add, especially when you have all this room in a full sized tablet.

blakwing


quality posts: 2 Private Messages blakwing
NocturnalOne wrote:Looks like the charge port is some large custom thingy instead of standard micro USB. It looks like aftermarket chargers and cables are cheap but still. When traveling it's annoying to remember to bring all the cables you need.

Still, this looks like a nice tablet to have. I wonder why high end tablets like this don't have GPS built in. Every phone does and it's a cheap module to add, especially when you have all this room in a full sized tablet.




The Note does use it's own charge cable. They are cheap. But pretty durable. As for the GPS. This does have it built in. I use it all the time with maps, Trulia, etc..

sdc100


quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100
NocturnalOne wrote:Looks like the charge port is some large custom thingy instead of standard micro USB. It looks like aftermarket chargers and cables are cheap but still. When traveling it's annoying to remember to bring all the cables you need.

Still, this looks like a nice tablet to have. I wonder why high end tablets like this don't have GPS built in. Every phone does and it's a cheap module to add, especially when you have all this room in a full sized tablet.



This does have GPS. Page 146 of the manual tells you how to use it. Unfortunately, Woot forgot to list it in the Specs.

One reason manufacturers may leave out GPS for large tablets is because they're not portable to carry in the pocket. They reason that the GPS would then just add cost and shorten the battery life (if users forget to turn it off). I've had my 10.1" Asus tab for about a year and I have yet to tr out the GPS. I don't have a car and carrying that thing on the street isn't very practical.

bluemaple


quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
sdc100 wrote:This does have GPS. Page 146 of the manual tells you how to use it. Unfortunately, Woot forgot to list it in the Specs.

One reason manufacturers may leave out GPS for large tablets is because they're not portable to carry in the pocket. They reason that the GPS would then just add cost and shorten the battery life (if users forget to turn it off). I've had my 10.1" Asus tab for about a year and I have yet to tr out the GPS. I don't have a car and carrying that thing on the street isn't very practical.


GPS can be very useful even on a tablet without a cellular radio. You can tether a tablet to your smartphone's cellular data connection via wifi. Gives you a phenomenal NAV device. The large screen showing more map is great, especially when you're looking for alternative routes.

GPS when not being used by an app uses virtually no battery juice. Some crappy apps don't release it. But GPS is easy to toggle off in both Android and iOS.

BTW, using a respectable NAV app via cellular data uses a lot less data than you might think. Not a big deal at all. We've concurrently run three NAV apps on the same device (accuracy verification) on 1,500 mile trips and used less than 75 MB.

forbas1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages forbas1

Just a question from some one who is addicted to Farmville. Will it play a flash game?

tlawson


quality posts: 3 Private Messages tlawson

Yes, just download version 11.0 of Flash player from Adobe. The earlier version will work well.

forbas1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages forbas1
tlawson wrote:Yes, just download version 11.0 of Flash player from Adobe. The earlier version will work well.



Thank you..........will now press the button!

KermodeBear


quality posts: 0 Private Messages KermodeBear
epatriot wrote:I've never had a tablet before, but my old laptop has reached its "hot flash" stage, burning my thighs after about 10 minutes of operation

Have you cleaned out the dust that might have collected inside? Spend $2 on some air in a can, open your machine up, give it a good cleaning. It will make a world of difference.

timothyludwig86


quality posts: 0 Private Messages timothyludwig86

I am trying to find the terms for the Nuko warranty policy; anyone have details?

I am a little wary of a refurb.