WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! Say, how many great imaginary bands can YOU think of? Well, we hope the answer is "quite a few" because otherwise we won't get many comments today. Scott's selected five made-up rock bands, bands that are from TV or movies or whatever, and found the songs they performed. See if you can top him! Best of luck...

Leather & The Suedes (Happy Days)

Not many women could impress Fonzie's. But Leather Tuscadero was tough enough, cool enough, and rocking enough to earn the man's respect. And, for 1970s TV, her songs weren't half bad. Why didn't we see HER on Arrested Development, huh?

See you after the jump.

Hedwig And The Angry Inch (Hedwig And The Angry Inch)

Very few bands mix the appeal of the has-been and the never-was with the glamor of David Bowie and RuPaul. Hedwig's creator took a bunch of catchy songs and added a beautiful story, and suddenly the rock album became a musical, and then a phenomenon.

River Bottom Nightmare Band (Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas)

Step back, you rock historians. You know where 90s alternative music really begins? It begins with little kids watching a Christmas special and thinking "That washtub song wasn't even CLOSE to being as cool as THIS!!!" Why didn't "The Nightmare" ever do a college tour? Did that snake ever have a side project? So many questions...

2001: A New Wave Godyssey (Mr. Show) potentially NSFW comedy content (but not really)

Although they're quickly upstaged by Marilyn Monster, 2001: A New Wave Godyeesy is one of the few Christian synth-pop bands in the history of comedy! Also of note, Mr. Show helped bring once-fake band Tenacious D to the attention of the world.

Cold Slither (G.I. Joe)

What more is there to say? Did Men At Work ever have a chainsaw? Also, as I understand it, the lead guitarist went on to join The Divinyls.

For real bands, visit our Turntable.fm room and take in the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

Quality Posts

tjamil

quality posts: 26 Private Messages tjamil

How about Jesse and the Rippers from Full House, who recently had a reunion on Jimmy Fallon. John Stamos is dreamy!

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

The Oneders from "That Thing You Do!" and the Country Bears from "The Country Bears"

DisplacedAvenger

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DisplacedAvenger

Wait...how can a discussion of fake bands not include the Monkees? Just because they went on to have a real musical career doesn't negate the fact that they were brought together specifically to create a TV show.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster

What? No Spinal Tap?

or The Rutles?

Or Doctor Teeth and the Electric Mayhem?

Though I can understand how Drive Shaft may have gotten Lost.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

LarryLars

quality posts: 66 Private Messages LarryLars

Nothing like a cartoon band!

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102
DisplacedAvenger wrote:Wait...how can a discussion of fake bands not include the Monkees? Just because they went on to have a real musical career doesn't negate the fact that they were brought together specifically to create a TV show.

This kind of reminds me of the MTV spoof "2Ge+her" if anyone remembers that in the early 2000's, to make fun of boy bands at the time. I know they toured a bit (I'll admit I saw them in person), but they were mainly a TV spoof.

olcubmaster

LarryLars wrote:Nothing like a cartoon band!

Why go halfway?

LarryLars

or folks in costume:

For 25 cents (or was it 50?), and two Kellogg's cereal boxtops, I received two 45 vinyl records of Banana Splits songs (4 songs on each record).

!

olcubmaster

LarryLars wrote:or folks in costume:

For 25 cents (or was it 50?), and two Kellogg's cereal boxtops, I received two 45 vinyl records of Banana Splits songs (4 songs on each record).

If you had held on to those 45's, you too could be getting rich on ebay

daclyde

quality posts: 2 Private Messages daclyde

I see your Country Bears (and Monkees) and raise you a Rock-afire Explosion!

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall

As always, the British prove to be absolute crap.

From Saturday morning's Multi-Coloured Swap Shop... the presenters created brown sauce.

Ian Dury and the Blockheads created the snowmen around that moment in time...

a little later in time the KLF created the timelords..

see.... absolute crap.

dougall

but, ummmm, *ahem*

fake?

mossygreen

quality posts: 74 Private Messages mossygreen

Curses! Why must I be at work and unable to post essentially the whole soundtrack to Phantom of the Paradise and then make a series of increasingly unhinged comments about The Juicyfruits?! This is UNFAIR!

Then I would post Lenny & the Squigtones songs. And then JEM.

I will do this later in the week, someone should come back to discuss Paul Williams with me.

PS I've been waiting for an excuse to post songs from Nashville, too.

dougall

dougall

and...

bad news > spinal tap.

(nsfw - potty mouthery)

Comic Strip FTW

mossygreen

Also: it might be time to bring up the Wombles and their series of top ten hits. I deputize Dougall if he is so inclined.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

DUDES.

HOW DID YOU MISS GORILLAZ?!

Srsly.

(Linky later - but they are TRULY the only current Fake Rock Band on the charts. The artist/singer who had been drawing them changed their storyline because he got tired of drawing them the exact same way all of the time.)

CatCK

quality posts: 51 Private Messages CatCK

How about "Eddie and the Cruisers" from the movie of the same name? Songs really sung by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band with Michael Pare doing the acting

And, if this expands to fake bands who actually became successful (i.e., The Monkees), how about the Blues Brothers? Started as a SNL skit with Aykroyd and Belushi as characters Joliet Jake Blues and Elwood Blues. Release an album and a very successful movie. I think Aykroyd still performs.

LarryLars

olcubmaster wrote:If you had held on to those 45's, you too could be getting rich on ebay

I still have them! Note that the song "Doin The Banana Split" was written by somebody named Barry White.

!

LarryLars

CatCK wrote:... I think Aykroyd still performs.

Yes, he does! Dan and Jim Belushi just recently did a Blues Brothers show in my area. Jim plays as "Zee Blues".

!

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Whoa! Leather Tuscadero was... Suzi Quatro? The things you learn about your youth from woot!

Anyway,

This is a real rock band (NoMeansNo) playing a not quite real Ramonesesque rock band (Hanson Brothers) and makes 2 weeks in a row! Here is a cake is a liein', mildly NSFW performance of Rink Rat:

Not exactly a Rock band, and definitely NSFW but funny as hell, CB4:

Only other one I can think of off hand is Deathtöngue! AKA Billy & The Boingers:

Also ran - The Honeybees

mossygreen

strawhousepig wrote:
Also ran - The Honeybees

Do you have MeTV in your region and do you always stop to watch the commercial featuring that song?

strawhousepig

Yes we do, but don't watch it much, what with the Netflix.

olcubmaster

And continuing the line of questionable taste..

Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld

strawhousepig

Livinalie Timmah!

dcdjason

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dcdjason

We are SEX BOB-OMB!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h1TSN6dIGg#t=1m00s

olcubmaster

My wife would never forgive me if I left out Hep Alien from The Gilmore Girls. I just hope you can forgive me for knowing about a ficticious band from The Gilmore Girls.

LarryLars

A fake band only by name:

!

olcubmaster

and for a Friday entry, how about Polaris from The Adventures of Pete and Pete.