Search Amazon Search Google

dernst_ca1

quality posts: 38 Private Messages dernst_ca1

eighty bucks for a keyboard?

-JMHSRV

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

TheCheshire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheCheshire
dernst_ca1 wrote:eighty bucks for a keyboard?

That's relatively low, especially for a mechanical keyboard.

usclawyer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages usclawyer

This had better be the frickin' Lexus of keyboards. Does it type for you? Is it air conditioned?

gserack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gserack
dernst_ca1 wrote:eighty bucks for a keyboard?

It's got Cherry MX Blue switches, and supports n-key rollover.

It's actually a pretty damn good deal for a keyboard that's $140 normally.

If you're a keyboard snob like me, this is actually pretty cool.

Of course, it's still not an IBM Model-M keyboard with Buckling Springs, but I'm told it's pretty close.

swootness

quality posts: 2 Private Messages swootness
usclawyer wrote:This had better be the frickin' Lexus of keyboards.

I'd consider it more the Viper.

And just like the Viper (or the Lexus), it doesn't drive itself.

dsolvtec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsolvtec

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we move away from these type of keyboards because they were not tactialy pleasing? Hey guess there are some nostalgic fingers out there. NEXT PLEASE!!!

HypnoticSilence

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HypnoticSilence

I don't have this exact model keyboard, but I have had a keyboard with MX Blue switches.

That being said, for a mechanical keyboard this is very cheap.
Laser etched keys are also, relatively, expensive. I doubt these are PBT key caps with laser etching, but still very good.

Modifying mechanical keyboards are also fairly common and you can find entire key cap sets for as much as this keyboard depending on the material type.

MX Blue switches generally feel good, but due to the clicky type are generally loud. MX Brown switches would probably be better as they offer a compromise. Personally I use MX Black switches since I type very hard as a force of habit.

http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

EDIT: Also included a link for a good Mechanical Keyboard overview

demon00689

quality posts: 10 Private Messages demon00689

It's amazing. I'm typing on it right now. I paid over $120 for it just a month or so ago.

In for 1 for my 2nd computer. Good bye crappy tictac keyboard.

Oh also. It's a definite increase in typing volume (the amount of sound generated when you type... especially if you type fast) from most keyboards, just as something to mention.

You can hear the audio of the MX Blues here (most of the way down the page):

http://www.daskeyboard.com/product/model-s-professional/

tailings

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tailings
gserack wrote:
Of course, it's still not an IBM Model-M keyboard with Buckling Springs, but I'm told it's pretty close.

9 thumbs up on the Model-M. IBM did do things well, once.

zach99998

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zach99998

I have 4 mechanical keyboards (Cherry MX red, green, blue, and brown), and blue switches are great for general typing. You can feel the keys actuate and they make a pleasing clicky sound. I wouldn't use this keyboard at work / around others though -- the takatakatakatakataka will drive others crazy.

gserack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gserack
tailings wrote:9 thumbs up on the Model-M. IBM did do things well, once.

Yes they did. I've still got two Model-M's (one had it's 20th birthday back in April!) and they are GREAT.

Still, that being said, I just popped for two of these.

gelatojo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gelatojo

I had 2 of these - bought a 3rd a few weeks back on a woot. This is a GREAT price for a great keyboard. If you're a typing "purist" and you get one of these, be WARNED you will never be able to use just any keyboard again, thus why I have 3 now... ugh. I think the action is nearly identical to the Razer Black Widow, but they have some extra programmable keys to the left on the board, and this seems to distract me and forces me to look down at the keyboard, I just couldn't get used to it. So I abandoned the Razer and stuck with DAS. Exceptional Quality.

demon00689

quality posts: 10 Private Messages demon00689
dsolvtec wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we move away from these type of keyboards because they were not tactialy pleasing? Hey guess there are some nostalgic fingers out there. NEXT PLEASE!!!

Okay, I will correct you. We "moved away" from mechanical keyboards because it was much cheaper to make them using crappy little plastic/rubber dome pieces positioned over a grid of circuits, rather than giving each key its own switch mechanism. The problem is it detracts from both responsiveness and tactile response.

If you type very fast, it is increasingly important for your fingers to know if they did or didn't hit the key for sure. Mechanical keyboards make this easier, thus facilitating even faster typing, with fewer errors.

rsn2bhappy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rsn2bhappy
dsolvtec wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we move away from these type of keyboards because they were not tactialy

You're wrong. Most keyboards are non-clicky because they are just plain cheaper to manufacture, and most people just stay with the keyboard that came with their computer because they don't realize that they have a choice. I won't try to explain why clicky keyboards are better. Google and you can see how many people who spend a lot of their day typing prefer these.

falkenx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages falkenx

You could also just get a better keyboard made on the original Model M machinery here:

http://pckeyboard.com/page/UKBD/UB40P4A

Same price and you can get parts for it too.

MikeWeiner

quality posts: 5 Private Messages MikeWeiner
demon00689 wrote:Okay, I will correct you. We "moved away" from mechanical keyboards because it was much cheaper to make them using crappy little plastic/rubber dome pieces positioned over a grid of circuits, rather than giving each key its own switch mechanism. The problem is it detracts from both responsiveness and tactile response.

If you type very fast, it is increasingly important for your fingers to know if they did or didn't hit the key for sure. Mechanical keyboards make this easier, thus facilitating even faster typing, with fewer errors.

Awesome reply without being condescending. And I had the same question, so I've been educated too!

Thanks!

TheCK

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheCK

I feel like some peeps out there just got punked.

I'll bet the same people who buy and use these keyboards also think that their crackers taste better if they put expensive price tag on the box than if it's the same product without a nike swoosh for cheaper

--TheCK

emandres

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emandres
usclawyer wrote:This had better be the frickin' Lexus of keyboards. Does it type for you? Is it air conditioned?

If you drove all day, would want to do it in a Geo Metro? Nope. I type all day, so I don't want to use a cheap membrane switch keyboard.

I already have a Das Keyboard at work, and finally the price is low enough to get one for home as well. I actually have the Ultimate S (Ultimate = no labels on the keys; S = silent, has the Cherry MX Brown switches instead of Blues). It's a really nice keyboard, but I'm curious just how loud the Blues are compared to the Browns.

bergmanf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bergmanf

Fortuitous! I've been pricing mechanical keyboards recently- I even went so far as to buy a "sampler pack" of key switches to try out the feel and sound of the various Cherry switches- and had just narrowed the field down to a keyboard with Blue or White switches. This is perfect!
For the record, this is not the same technology as the legendary Model M; those use buckling springs, adding a "ping" to the "click" sound. Of course, a new buckling spring keyboard from Unicomp will run $80 and up...

dblb0gey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dblb0gey

If you like the feel, but not the sound, of a mechanical keyboard, you can get a set of dampeners for Cherry MX switches for $15-$20 ($18 at Amazon). There basically a little o-ring that goes on the stem of each key.

goatherdered

quality posts: 2 Private Messages goatherdered

Monoprice has the Cherry Blue for ~$55

zach99998

emandres wrote:...I'm curious just how loud the Blues are compared to the Browns.

I'd say my blues are louder than browns, and I had to switch my browns with reds at work because they were a bit too loud. I probably wouldn't use blues at the work unless I had my own office.

CatAstrophy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CatAstrophy
goatherdered wrote:Monoprice has the Cherry Blue for ~$55

Not the same keyboard.

---

I prefer the Cherry MX Reds on the Corsair K90

dsolvtec

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dsolvtec

Yes - Thanks for the polite and educated correction!

It's very interesting to see the passionate followers of mechanical keyboarders out there! Had no idea these things were still well liked. NOW I have the urge to go get some keyboard clicking in after thinking about it! Heading to the IT dept to find a dinosaur to get my fix. Not dropping 80 bones though lol - Cmon clicky people you know you want to stock up!

zach99998

dsolvtec wrote:Not dropping 80 bones though lol - Cmon clicky people you know you want to stock up!

If you live near one, Microcenter will have them on clearance every once in a while. I got a Ducky (MX Reds) for $45 a few weeks ago.

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac

Wow, I really DID think we were being punked...like everyone was in on the joke except for me. I get it...you guys are passionate. I'll just patiently wait for the next item.

erasure101

quality posts: 4 Private Messages erasure101

i'm fast with a 10 key. my firm gave us 10 key number pads with really bad mushy soft rubber domes to use with our laptops. i couldn't type fast with it because i couldn't tell whether or not the number went through. the only way i could touch type was by smacking each key as hard as i could, to ensure the keystroke registered. this slowed me down immensely. i went out and bought a 10 key with cherry mx blue switches. i could type faster, and my hands didn't hurt after long hours of number crunching.

i now use a unicomp model m clone. for those of you that don't understand why someone would pay so much for a keyboard, i'll say it's worth it if you type fast.

crowbar08

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crowbar08

Lulz- you guys keep buying it! $80 for a keyboard is ridiculous

obob

quality posts: 6 Private Messages obob

In for one!

I think I'm probably going to regret the ONE part.

what, Me, sig?

chispito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chispito
TheCK wrote:I feel like some peeps out there just got punked.

I'll bet the same people who buy and use these keyboards also think that their crackers taste better if they put expensive price tag on the box than if it's the same product without a nike swoosh for cheaper

You should try a mechanical keyboard sometime. People who type a lot often buy them, just as you would expect a serious runner to spend more money on and be pickier about his shoes than you or me.

obob

jmackinac wrote:Wow, I really DID think we were being punked...like everyone was in on the joke except for me. I get it...you guys are passionate. I'll just patiently wait for the next item.

That's exactly right. These are not for everyone. The differences are pretty small to most people, and for almost all of them a $15 keyboard works fine. If you don't already know why you need one of these, then you almost certainly don't.

Heck, for me a $15 keyboard works fine maybe 80% of the time. Odd thing is, though, even though I'm only ever "in the zone" about 20% of my time, the productivity jump makes a $100 investment about as trivial as which brand of snack cookies to buy.

what, Me, sig?

obob

Arrived about an hour ago.
Can't test right now but I'm happy to have it.

what, Me, sig?

bergmanf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bergmanf

Mine arrived last week. I love it- the solid, sturdy feel; the clean design (no drivers required... that's what I'm flippin' talking about!); the tactile sensation of each click; and of course the sound of those Cherry switches. Thank you, Woot!