drewx29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drewx29
poslundc wrote:I don't know how expensive it would be to get canvas prints made of your own images, but the world map is just the Henricus Hondius world map, which you can Google high-res images of really easily.

as that is a copy righted image you will find it hard to get someone to print it for you though, i have tried in the past to reprint some maps for a project and they would not do it.

iraallen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iraallen

Cutting the Van Goghs into 4 vertical strips, especially the seascape, is a joke. They were meant to be panoramas. I have a print of Starry Night Over the Rhone. Slashing the painting into 4 vertical panels captures only the vertical reflections of the shore lights on the water, but destroys the counter-balancing effect of the horizontal sweep of the bay. The unmarred painting can be seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starry_Night_Over_the_Rhone
Better to buy a good print on the Internet for the same price or somewhat more for a giclee. Sure, it will may be smaller than the total size of the panels, but then the original is only 27 x 36 and looks great as it is, so who needs a huge blow-up slashed into 4 separate pieces?

artwall2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages artwall2
rmfeinberg wrote:This is tempting, but it looks like the company making these is called "Art Wall." Their reviews on a comparable product are less than favorable, saying it is a low-quality print.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Wall-Japanese-Gallery-Wrapped/product-reviews/B008BSALZW/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Hey guys, the manufacturer here again.

If looking for reviews on Art Wall product (specifically this product), Amazon can be very misleading. If you look at Amazon reviews for the John Black piece, for example, you'll see that many aren't even referencing the correct piece, or are referencing knock-offs (evidenced by customers referring to "paintings"- Art Wall sells giclee prints, not paintings). If you check out some other retail outlets with whom we sell you'll see that we generally receive very positive reviews, such as:

Van Gogh on Overstock

John Black Reviews

Van Gogh Reviews

Great Wave Reviews

We use high-resolution, TIF source files and print at archival or near-archival quality. You won't be receiving knock-off product! If you have any specific questions you'd rather email directly to us, we're available at cs@zartwall.com You'll get a direct and specific response within 20 minutes.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
artwall2 wrote:Hey guys, the manufacturer here again.

If looking for reviews on Art Wall product (specifically this product), Amazon can be very misleading. If you look at Amazon reviews for the John Black piece, for example, you'll see that many aren't even referencing the correct piece, or are referencing knock-offs (evidenced by customers referring to "paintings"- Art Wall sells giclee prints, not paintings). If you check out some other retail outlets with whom we sell you'll see that we generally receive very positive reviews, such as:

Van Gogh on Overstock

John Black Reviews

Van Gogh Reviews

Great Wave Reviews

We use high-resolution, TIF source files and print at archival or near-archival quality. You won't be receiving knock-off product! If you have any specific questions you'd rather email directly to us, we're available at cs@zartwall.com You'll get a direct and specific response within 20 minutes.

thanks for the links. so for $60 less I can get the artwork not cut up, but whole, as the artist originally intended? I am looking at the japanese tree

I always did like yardsales.

m0demb0y

quality posts: 2 Private Messages m0demb0y
drewx29 wrote:as that is a copy righted image you will find it hard to get someone to print it for you though, i have tried in the past to reprint some maps for a project and they would not do it.

LOL A map made in 1641 is not still under copyright ;)
That, the Hokusai, and the Van Gough are public domain, anyone can print them.

skaderi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skaderi

Am I the only one who giggles whenever someone brags about having a giclee art print?

My ex sold art for years, and we all know that "giclee" is a made-up word that just means "printed with an ink jet". That and, of course, the hysterical french slang meaning.

Totalimmortal042

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Totalimmortal042
artwall2 wrote:Hey guys, the manufacturer here again.

Van Gogh on Overstock

John Black Reviews

Van Gogh Reviews

Great Wave Reviews

So does the Japanese Tree look like the image here or the image on wayfair? They are quite a bit different.

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

we have a set of pictures - 3 that make one flower and you always have one that's a wee bit higher, or one that tilted and needs straightening.. they drive me nuts! I am constantly moving one picture only to move another the next day so it is right. And we even used the little rubber tack things that was supposed to stop this.. and we only have 3 to deal with, not 4 in the set, so if you are the least bit anal, these pictures are not for you

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

artwall2

quality posts: 2 Private Messages artwall2
Totalimmortal042 wrote:So does the Japanese Tree look like the image here or the image on wayfair? They are quite a bit different.

The one here. The Wayfair image is for reference.

bwrites

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bwrites
m0demb0y wrote:LOL A map made in 1641 is not still under copyright ;)
That, the Hokusai, and the Van Gough are public domain, anyone can print them.

Not quite. The image itself is public domain. Any photography of the art, however, is not (unless it's quite an old photo). Photos have their own copyright.

mrjoelsilverman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrjoelsilverman

Can you tell me what the surface of the painting looks like? Is this like inkjet on canvas or is there an oil paint texture? Do you have any closeup detail shots you can post or link to?

Thanks-

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mrjoelsilverman wrote:Can you tell me what the surface of the painting looks like? Is this like inkjet on canvas or is there an oil paint texture? Do you have any closeup detail shots you can post or link to?

Thanks-

It will flat, not textured, except for what texture the canvas lends to it.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

fuzzypeaches

quality posts: 10 Private Messages fuzzypeaches
Jertyrael wrote:Wow, that Japanese Tree one is gorgeous. If I had the money I'd snag one in a heartbeat.

My thoughts exactly!

10 quality post! Whoo hoo! I'M SOMEBODY!!!

m0demb0y

quality posts: 2 Private Messages m0demb0y
bwrites wrote:Not quite. The image itself is public domain. Any photography of the art, however, is not (unless it's quite an old photo). Photos have their own copyright.

Nope, a photo of a public domain work only gets it's own copyright if it contains elements of originality. A mere reproduction of the original work in photo form does not establish copyright.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain#Derived_works_and_restorations_of_works_in_the_public_domain
And:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bernard-starr/museum-paintings-copyright_b_1867076.html
And:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threshold_of_originality

jponte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jponte

Look at the price on amazon (same sizes)

http://www.amazon.com/Henricus-Hondius-Accurate-Gallery-wrapped-Canvas/dp/B00FFCB1WO/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1380313700&sr=1-7&keywords=Map+of+the+world+by+henricus

Fantasy

jponte

Here's another one on amazon (same sizes)

http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Black-Gallery-Wrapped-Canvas/dp/B00FFBD7FE/ref=sr_1_28?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1380321359&sr=1-28&keywords=Japanese+tree+by+John+black

Fantasy

luke975

jponte wrote:Look at the price on amazon (same sizes)

http://www.amazon.com/Henricus-Hondius-Accurate-Gallery-wrapped-Canvas/dp/B00FFCB1WO/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1380313700&sr=1-7&keywords=Map+of+the+world+by+henricus

a private seller can list the price for whatever they want on amazon. I see ridiculous prices all the time on there, sometimes in the same sale as legitimate prices.

kev110382

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kev110382
luke975 wrote:thanks for the links. so for $60 less I can get the artwork not cut up, but whole, as the artist originally intended? I am looking at the japanese tree

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I personally like the John Black piece in four sections more than I like the original.

luke975

kev110382 wrote:I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I personally like the John Black piece in four sections more than I like the original.

yes absolutely. I can't appreciate "real art" at all. I have a bud beer frog hanging in my room.

ftmyersbuc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ftmyersbuc
ftmyersbuc wrote:Off topic, but can anyone give me the link to the Badgers or Chipmunks thread from yesterday...I want to bookmark it. Even though I didn't score, I like to come back and find out what folks got!!!

[MOD: Here you go: Click Here]

A very belated thanks!!! Bookmarked!

DustyRange

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DustyRange
fuzzypeaches wrote:My thoughts exactly!

I just got the tree one today, wOw it's really nice! So glad I bought it! I have 2 more on the way, they look fantastic!

jponte

Been weeks since I ordered my wall art. The tracking info they gave me was wrong. And I have NO idea where my item is. Emailed woot, they said they would figure out my right tracking info and where my stuff is, and get back to me. That was 4 days ago!
Such Bulls**t.

Fantasy

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jponte wrote:Been weeks since I ordered my wall art. The tracking info they gave me was wrong. And I have NO idea where my item is. Emailed woot, they said they would figure out my right tracking info and where my stuff is, and get back to me. That was 4 days ago!
Such Bulls**t.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't received a response yet. I recommend that you check the spam folder of your email provider as sometimes their responses get filtered there.

I will forward your post along to Woot Member Services and see I can get you an answer.

Thank you for your ongoing patience during this matter.

UPDATE: Found out more. We received incorrect tracking numbers so don't worry about the one you have. However, FedEx Track by Reference looks to be working correctly.

You can use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your order details which you can get via Stuff You Bought. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

tjflemings

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjflemings

Well, I bought the large sized "Wave" print. When it arrived I let it sit for a few days before opening it. When I did I found theyd sent me the wrong print. I have the crappy black tree print not the wave. I have sent a message to woot asking whats the deal and gotten no reply so far.