WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Lifesmart 1,800 SQ FT Infrared Tower Heater

Speed to First Woot:
10m 18.550s
First Sucker:
bugZ
Last Wooter to Woot:
assnipes
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 46% of Woot.com Woots
Top 24% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 10% of Woot.com Woots
Top 6% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 18% first woot
  • 12% second woot
  • 28% < 10 woots
  • 19% < 25 woots
  • 22% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 9% joined today
  • 2% one week old
  • 6% one month old
  • 18% one year old
  • 65% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 92% bought 1
  • 7% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

2%
2%
2%
1%
1%
2%
5%
7%
8%
9%
8%
6%
5%
4%
5%
2%
3%
4%
4%
5%
4%
5%
3%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 3028 Private Messages lichme

Item: Lifesmart 1,800 SQ FT Infrared Tower Heater
Price: $119.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

jfleury8469


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfleury8469

I would be interested in the BTU rating on this unit, as it takes a fairly solid 40,000 BTU ($3,000) pellet stove to heat 1,800 square feet.

wsmiddel


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wsmiddel

5,118 BTU/hour = 1500 watts

https://www.google.com/search?q=1500+watts+in+btu%2Fhour

It doesn't matter what technology an electric heater uses, 1,500 watts is just over 5,000 BTU/hour.

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3670 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's watch a video

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3670 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's learn more about lifesmartproducts.com

jfleury8469


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfleury8469
wsmiddel wrote:5,118 BTU/hour = 1500 watts

https://www.google.com/search?q=1500+watts+in+btu

It doesn't matter what technology an electric heater uses, 1,500 watts is just over 5,000 BTU/hour.



Thanks for that. I didn't even think to do a watt/BTU conversion. It's kinda late here. With this new figure in mind, unless I'm missing something, this heater should be able to heat around 225 square feet, not 1,800...

CharlesP2009


quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

So wait...since when does Woot sell something before you'll need it? It's not even cold yet.

oldlostsoul


quality posts: 2 Private Messages oldlostsoul

"Its infrared technology effectively uses less energy to produce heat from floor to ceiling"

**coughcoughcoughbullsheet**

ALL electric space heaters are 100% efficient. If it "uses less energy" it produces less heat. PERIOD!

http://www.conservingelectricity.com/ElectricSpaceHeaters.asp

pcspecialist


quality posts: 4 Private Messages pcspecialist
oldlostsoul wrote:"Its infrared technology effectively uses less energy to produce heat from floor to ceiling"

**coughcoughcoughbullsheet**

ALL electric space heaters are 100% efficient. If it "uses less energy" it produces less heat. PERIOD!

http://www.conservingelectricity.com/ElectricSpaceHeaters.asp



It cost the same to produce the same amount of heat, but, some less efficient heaters create hot spots and leave other parts of the room colder - it may cost less to heat that would be colder spot but I have my doubts about this heater doing that.

tedfarkas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tedfarkas

The Woot description states that it will heat 1800 square feet. The product video says 1500. I suspect Woot is referring to a house in Honolulu, while the product video may be referencing Key West. You won't need this heater in either of those places. Now who is taking bets that this will heat either 1500 or 1800 in Minneapolis.

Harpo


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Harpo

I have a very drafty poorly insulated cabin in Vermont. I'm thinking it might heat my legs if I stand close to it.

stevef2222


quality posts: 1 Private Messages stevef2222
Harpo wrote:I have a very drafty poorly insulated cabin in Vermont. I'm thinking it might heat my legs if I stand close to it.



step one: add more insulation

step two: get a wood burning stove

step three: forget the electric heater, get an electric blanket;-)

dliidlii


quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

They don't even include the AAA batteries needed for the 2 remotes with a MSRP of $300!
LIFESMART thinks it's smarter than most consumers with it's ridiculous claim this will come anywhere near being adequate to heat a 3 bedroom house (1800 sq ft). 1500 watts is only going to be adequate for a 200 sq ft room and a $20 1500 watt heater will do the job comparable to this one.

poorogue


quality posts: 1 Private Messages poorogue
wsmiddel wrote:5,118 BTU/hour = 1500 watts

https://www.google.com/search?q=1500+watts+in+btu%2Fhour

It doesn't matter what technology an electric heater uses, 1,500 watts is just over 5,000 BTU/hour.



Wait a sec. That's ASSUMING 100% efficiency, which is literally unheard of. There is no way it's 100% efficient, so it will be most likely a little less than 5k btu/hr.

luke975


quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

yeah anyone trying to heat 1800 sq feet with this is going to be chilly alot. for what it's worth they make the same claim for their other heaters. It's just not possible, and woots misrepresenting what the product does by stating that.

but, you can get it cheaper if you factor in shipping through here
oh and they accept returns

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_52721/LifeSmart-1800-Sq-Ft-Infrared-Quartz-Tower-Heater-LS-1003HH13.html?rd=gpf_52721&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=sellcom&utm_term=LS-1003HH13

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

TCayer


quality posts: 10 Private Messages TCayer
oldlostsoul wrote:"Its infrared technology effectively uses less energy to produce heat from floor to ceiling"

**coughcoughcoughbullsheet**

ALL electric space heaters are 100% efficient. If it "uses less energy" it produces less heat. PERIOD!

http://www.conservingelectricity.com/ElectricSpaceHeaters.asp



I have a problem with that argument. Radiant heaters get really hot at the source, but don't efficiently heat a room. The heat lamp in my bathroom has two bulbs and a fan, and does not heat an area as large as my infrared heater. Those oil-filled radiator type heaters are also 1500 watts, and never worked as good as these. 10 150-watt lights bulbs use the same energy, but your room won't stay warm. Turn on your electric stove burner. It doesn't heat the whole room.

skerkhoff


quality posts: 0 Private Messages skerkhoff
poorogue wrote:Wait a sec. That's ASSUMING 100% efficiency, which is literally unheard of. There is no way it's 100% efficient, so it will be most likely a little less than 5k btu/hr.



It IS 100% efficient. ALL electric heaters are.

ingus


quality posts: 6 Private Messages ingus

Lucky me. I got two of the Lifesmart heaters on Woot that were refurbished for the same price as this one. Each will heat 1,500 sq. ft. according to Lifesmart.

My dream of getting a larger house and paying off part of the mortgage with my heat savings were dashed. One of the units was scratched, dirty, and had a wire sticking out of the back. A quick Email to Woot about it and I had a shipping label to send it back.

The second heater is in perfect condition and works great. However I can't say what kind of heating job it will do. Well, I guess I can. It will do exactly what every other 1,500 W heater will do. However, it is in an attractive wood case. It has a remote that is easy to use. The settings are numerous for various heating schemes. It moves about quite nicely on the four wheels. The fan is quite pleasant to the ear, like white noise.

I like it for the price of $60. I would guess today's offering will work about the same and look more attractive than other heaters.

Hmmm....now I am thinking if I got two of these I could heat a 3,600 sq. ft. house for cheap.

TCayer


quality posts: 10 Private Messages TCayer
dliidlii wrote:They don't even include the AAA batteries needed for the 2 remotes with a MSRP of $300!
LIFESMART thinks it's smarter than most consumers with it's ridiculous claim this will come anywhere near being adequate to heat a 3 bedroom house (1800 sq ft). 1500 watts is only going to be adequate for a 200 sq ft room and a $20 1500 watt heater will do the job comparable to this one.




TRY one before you spout om nom nom nom! I've used these for two winters now, and saved over $100 a month on my gas bill. LifeSmart's info says "unobstructed area up to" the square footage. In my house, the kitchen, dining and living rooms are all fairly open, so we put it in the dining room, heat all three rooms, and since the thermostat is in the dining room, it keeps the furnace off, saving me money. At night we shut it off and let the furnace heat the upstairs.

tvagelos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tvagelos

Why do the specifications mentioned in the YouTube video published September 26, 2013 "rated to heat an unobstructed room area of up to 1500 square feet" differ from the specification listed by the retailers for this product "Able to efficiently heat 1800 sq ft of living space". What are the "real" specifications? Why is this product not listed on the company web site?

Woody1


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Woody1

So let's just agree that magic marketing claims are a foot. SQ FT is not Cubic FT. So based on how much air the fan can move, it probably will heat (raise some value of temp.) across the floor in a Single Room over an unspecified amount of time. I wouldn't take stock in the marketing of effectively saving energy either. Eat habenaro peppers and rub cyan pepper on your skin and you'd swear your were in the Sahara too.

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

luke975


quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
TCayer wrote:TRY one before you spout om nom nom nom! I've used these for two winters now, and saved over $100 a month on my gas bill. LifeSmart's info says "unobstructed area up to" the square footage. In my house, the kitchen, dining and living rooms are all fairly open, so we put it in the dining room, heat all three rooms, and since the thermostat is in the dining room, it keeps the furnace off, saving me money. At night we shut it off and let the furnace heat the upstairs.



I have a 1500 watt electric heater. with a fan to blow the heat in my computer/entertainment room it sets about a foot away from me and keeps me warm.

I don't need to pay double for this heater to know it couldn't possibly heat what it says it will.

If I say my ford ranger could go warp 7 would you believe that until you drove it?

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

Woody1


quality posts: 16 Private Messages Woody1
TCayer wrote:....I've used these for two winters now, and saved over $100 a month on my gas bill..... 



While your electric bill went up $200/mo.?

Unrealistic claims are like the new transparancy. The sheep have left the barn.

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

luke975


quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
Woody1 wrote:While your electric bill went up $200/mo.?

Unrealistic claims are like the new transparancy. The sheep have left the barn.



i think I get it now. the companies claiming the heater will heat 1800 sq feet. we're used to thinking of rooms as 100sq feet or whatever, but heaters and air conditioners for that matter heat or cool the whole room, so the area would need to be cubed.

the room I'm in now is about 800 cubic feet, so this heater could heat about two rooms of this size. That I can buy.

but yeah they totally are misleading people using a sq ft. claim, as heaters don't work that way.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

davidetodd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidetodd
skerkhoff wrote:It IS 100% efficient. ALL electric heaters are.



True in theory, and almost in practice. Any energy that creates light or noise that then escapes the room doesn't heat the room. Though it does still heat SOMETHING.

Since I have electric heat, I switch out all my florescent bulbs for incandescent as soon as it is cool enough to run the heat again. Same reasoning. Zero power savings, and incandescent makes better light and has a lower replacement cost.

WAAANE


quality posts: 1 Private Messages WAAANE

Ok Wooters...My wife and I use 3 heaters of this type in a large well insulated home in the Sieras wher it gets darn chilly in the winter. The reason we do this is because we insalled a huge PV array (solar) and have extra juice to use in the winter. These things will NOT heat even 1000 SF on their own period, end of story. However, two of them do a nice job on about 1500 sf of open living space and a third does a good job on master bedroom that is roughly 500 sf. Another thing that must be considered is the cost of electricity. Lasr Deceember we went through 1500 KWH of electricity using these three heaters and a radiator type in our green house. That bill would have been six or seven hundred dollars if not for stored NEM electricity. Our central heating system would have been way cheaoer to use if not for the stored electricity from the POV array. Unlesss you have real cheap electricity or a very small well insulated space, this is not cheep heat. I have the electricity, I am going to get a couple more. Its not a bad price

TCayer


quality posts: 10 Private Messages TCayer
Woody1 wrote:While your electric bill went up $200/mo.?

Unrealistic claims are like the new transparancy. The sheep have left the barn.



Electric didn't go up by much. 1500 watts is like a dollar a day.

danfiveoh


quality posts: 2 Private Messages danfiveoh
skerkhoff wrote:It IS 100% efficient. ALL electric heaters are.



Actually, I see them as 110% efficient. You get the extra 10% from the heat generated by your electric meter spinning at warp 9 when you plug one in....

TCayer


quality posts: 10 Private Messages TCayer
luke975 wrote:i think I get it now. the companies claiming the heater will heat 1800 sq feet. we're used to thinking of rooms as 100sq feet or whatever, but heaters and air conditioners for that matter heat or cool the whole room, so the area would need to be cubed.

the room I'm in now is about 800 cubic feet, so this heater could heat about two rooms of this size. That I can buy.

but yeah they totally are misleading people using a sq ft. claim, as heaters don't work that way.



All measurements are in square feet. It takes into account the 3rd dimension. I doubt they;re implying this only heats a one-foot high plane of a 30x50 foot space.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
stevef2222 wrote:step one: add more insulation

step two: get a wood burning stove

step three: forget the electric heater, get an electric blanket;-)



One of the smartest things I ever found was a Sunbeam heated mattress cover. It worked far better than an electric blanket and used less power. It seems like they only last about a year or two before some wire breaks, but they can be found cheap enough that it's worth the cost to buy one every year or so.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

pg318


quality posts: 2 Private Messages pg318
ingus wrote:...
Hmmm....now I am thinking if I got two of these I could heat a 3,600 sq. ft. house for cheap.


To put a perspective on the heating needs, my 3200 sq.ft. house has 14000W of auxiliary electric heaters attached to the heat pump. Fortunately this is not that cold a location, so I've never seen them come on. Probably the spinning of the electric meter would keep that end of the house warm...

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn

I am always astounded at some of the fuzzy thinking that surrounds what people say about various kinds of electric heaters.
I can't comment on the actual efficiency wattage discussions, but some heaters manage to get the heat they produce into the air faster via a number of means, often a fan.

Others, such as the oil filled radiators essentially store heat so that some still radiates out while the unit is shut off.

But the craziest thing I ever heard from a coworker was an explanation that quartz rod heaters only heat animate objects and not inanimate objects. I would think with even a high school physics class, one would understand this simply doesn't work!

A new form of heater with some "miracle technology" doesn't really exist. Some heaters are incrementally more efficient than others in getting the heat they produce out, and that's about all there is to say.

I sure do love American marketing, the greatest BS artists in the world.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

dschlei


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dschlei
wsmiddel wrote:5,118 BTU/hour = 1500 watts

https://www.google.com/search?q=1500+watts+in+btu%2Fhour

It doesn't matter what technology an electric heater uses, 1,500 watts is just over 5,000 BTU/hour.


That is the same what I feel. Way back when I got a degree in electrical engineering. In those days the power consumption of electrical devices were given and used to determine what they can do. As far as I remember, physics have not changed since way back when, and 1500 Watts are still 1500 Watts. It might be that the fan used in this unit is able to distribute heated air better, but so did the fan in the classic "barn heaters" that are ugly and gray!

krdlineone


quality posts: 0 Private Messages krdlineone

More like 5-6 dollars a day for me. I have used a 1500 watt radiator for several years and have the electric bills to show.

dschlei


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dschlei
TCayer wrote:I have a problem with that argument. Radiant heaters get really hot at the source, but don't efficiently heat a room. The heat lamp in my bathroom has two bulbs and a fan, and does not heat an area as large as my infrared heater. Those oil-filled radiator type heaters are also 1500 watts, and never worked as good as these. 10 150-watt lights bulbs use the same energy, but your room won't stay warm. Turn on your electric stove burner. It doesn't heat the whole room.


All three examples have one problem, they are not efficient heaters. The two bulb examples convert a lot of the electric energy into light, and not heat, and your stove top is not able to distribute the heat into the room. Put a good working fan across it, and it might do better. !500 Watts of electric energy will not change, the changes are either because part of the energy is converted into light, or very efficient distribution of the obtained heat.

ykarie


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ykarie
danfiveoh wrote:Actually, I see them as 110% efficient. You get the extra 10% from the heat generated by your electric meter spinning at warp 9 when you plug one in....



I bought one because I have an electric forced air furnace, and really don't care if the living room is in the 50s as long as my beedroom is near 70. Back pain, and what not. If I crank the heat to 70 every night, I'm going to be burning 220v at up to 100 amps and heating the whole under side of my trailer instead of just one room...yeah, this will be cheaper in the long run. But, circumstance and bad insulation in a rented residence will vary.

I've used a similar heater, 1500w cube like device my parents got at the hardware store, the last time I visited them. It worked fine for a bedroom, and this one is half the price of theirs and has a low mode of 750 or 700 watts.

As for warp 9 spinning discs, I feel sorry for anyone with a non-digital power meter. ;-p

ykarie


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ykarie
radi0j0hn wrote:One of the smartest things I ever found was a Sunbeam heated mattress cover. It worked far better than an electric blanket and used less power. It seems like they only last about a year or two before some wire breaks, but they can be found cheap enough that it's worth the cost to buy one every year or so.



Where did you find one, and what do they cost roughly? I've been afraid to get an electric blanket, because of a feline room mate who loves to massage moving legs with very pointy claws. A mattress cover would be safer for him, I think.

nic walker


quality posts: 2 Private Messages nic walker

[Good Morning Folks,,,

Does anyone know if this heater has a "tip over function" please?

Or any safety function for that matter???

Thanks,

Nic

nic walker

A473497


quality posts: 0 Private Messages A473497
TCayer wrote:TRY one before you spout om nom nom nom! I've used these for two winters now, and saved over $100 a month on my gas bill. LifeSmart's info says "unobstructed area up to" the square footage. In my house, the kitchen, dining and living rooms are all fairly open, so we put it in the dining room, heat all three rooms, and since the thermostat is in the dining room, it keeps the furnace off, saving me money. At night we shut it off and let the furnace heat the upstairs.



Why do people that claim savings on one fuel type with any gadget forget to include the numbers for all the affected bills?
Unless this device is the first to create energy rather than transform it, or the author gets their electricity for free, then they must clarify if the $100 (amazing how it's exactly $100 even) savings is a NET savings after figuring in the offset by the increased cost in electricity or specify the amount of the electricity increase so we can do the math to see the true savings.