WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Happy Music Monday! It takes a special kind of egomania to be a rock star, and a very special kind of egomania to be a rock star who sings a song about the name of your own band. I'm skemmis, filling in for Scott today, and today's Music Monday is entitled "skemmis's List of Songs Where The Name Of The Band Is In The Song Title, By skemmis. skemmis!" Can you think of any I missed? (I hope so because I don't know very much about music).

Bad Company - Bad Company

What does it all mean, Bad Company? "Bad Company, 'til the day I die." Are you sure about that, Paul (because you left the band in 1982)?

Big Country - In A Big Country

Sha! If you're going to sing a song about your own band, make sure your band name is something evocative of the American Spirit. Your Toads the Wet Sprocket need not apply.

Belle & Sebastian - Belle & Sebastian

In appropriate fashion, "Belle & Sebastian" is Belle & Sebastian's Belle-&-Sebastianiest song, which is saying a lot. Given its waveringly nostalgic vocals, lugubrious baseline, and splashy cymbals, this is definitely a Belle & Sebastian song.

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden

Have you noticed the hidden theme running through these bands? They're all silly. Sure, Iron Maiden and Belle & Sebastian are silly in different ways, but nobody, not even their biggest fans, take any of these bands too seriously.

As always, we invite you to stop by our Turntable.fm room and the regular Music Monday enjoyment. Also, let us just remind you: some images come from the corresponding Wikipedia page and are here under fair use.

rialtus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rialtus

Let's not forget "Talk Talk" by the group Talk Talk.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Have you met any Iron Maiden fans? :P

I'll throw Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath out there, from their debut album Black Sabbath.

NSFW

chicken0102

quality posts: 41 Private Messages chicken0102

"(Theme From) The Monkees" by the Monkees and (even though it's a bit of a stretch) "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" by the Backstreet Boys

mossygreen

quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen

I know this probably doesn't count, but in Wang Chung's Everybody Have Fun Tonight "Wang Chung" is used interchangeably with "Have Fun." So, almost. Unless it actually means something else that people should also do....

Also doesn't count: in T. Rex's Main Man, Marc Bolan included the immortal line "Bolan likes to rock now, yes he does, yes he does." It is sad that in Bolan's career of self-aggrandizement he never self-titled a song, so I could include it here.

mossygreen

Also: what did you do with slydon? Is he tied up in a closet somewhere? At the bottom of a well? In a silo slowly filling up with poisonous gas?

ratbert2k

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ratbert2k

Don't forget "Living in a Box" by Living in a Box.

dougall

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dougall
mossygreen wrote:Also: what did you do with slydon?

Don't you mean Lydon?

and.... in first with the wombles.

dougall

All that seems to be happening in my mind, is a bunch of bands named after songs.

it wouldn't be so bad if the pairing wasn't right said fred.

mossygreen

dougall wrote:
and.... in first with the wombles.

Damn it!

Fine. Here's The Wombling Song.

Not sure how I feel about this video because we all know Orinoco would never willingly jump up and down.

skemmis

quality posts: 15 Private Messages skemmis

Staff

mossygreen wrote:Also: what did you do with slydon? Is he tied up in a closet somewhere? At the bottom of a well? In a silo slowly filling up with poisonous gas?

Tied up at the bottom of a well slowly filling with gas

mossygreen

skemmis wrote:Tied up at the bottom of a well slowly filling with gas

Of course! It's so obvious now.

cjhughes

quality posts: 24 Private Messages cjhughes

Madness by Madness

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle,
I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H.G. Wells
Woot:40(Babies on Cribs:7) Kids:0 Wine:1 Shirt:7 Sellout:4 Home:1 Moofi: 2

nemo2005

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nemo2005
rialtus wrote:Let's not forget "Talk Talk" by the group Talk Talk.

I think their debut album was eponymously titled as well, so they get the trifecta of band, album and song.

dougall

The Pipettes

LFO

Fat Boys

pigbag

Madness

dougall

I see I was Ninjad to Madness above..

so I'll give you the army of lovers instead.

HawthornThistleberry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HawthornThistleberry

Given the geekishness prevalent on Woot, how can I be the first to point out "They Might Be Giants"? (And what are we gonna do unless they are?)

Snard

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snard

Don't forget "Killer Queen"! (by Queen)

Dynamite with a laser beam!

mossygreen

dougall wrote:Don't you mean Lydon?

No, I didn't, but that was very clever. And I should have remembered they had a song with their name. Curse my overfamiliarity with Second Edition and nothing else!

wooster2345

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wooster2345

Best imo is Jilted John by Jilted John.

When any friends are feeling sorry about a breakup, I make them listen to this song. Works wonders most of the time.

(Jilted John's real name is Graham Fellows, and for UK people he now does John Shuttleworth.)

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

Kool & The Gang

Green Day

Damn Yankees

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

SJSteinberg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SJSteinberg

The Who -- in the song, Who Are You?

The lyric asks and answers: Who the F*** are you? The Who, the Who, the Who, the Who...

vigilante1987

quality posts: 11 Private Messages vigilante1987

Might be a small stretch, but no one's posted The Who's "Who Are You" (from the album Who Are You, of course) yet.

I'm just wondering, why would a Scottish band want a name that 'evokes the American spirit'?

strawhousepig

Did not realize this was not started by Scott (aka Mr. Lydon).

And here I thought I'd corrupted him into posting that Maiden tune. Someday Mr. Lydon, someday.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
skemmis wrote:Tied up at the bottom of a well slowly filling with gas

HOLD ON SCOTT!!!

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

------------------
I Bet on Sky

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
rialtus wrote:Let's not forget "Talk Talk" by the group Talk Talk.

It's cheating, but TV Tropes has ALL OF THEM.

strawhousepig

Not all of them.

And as if once was enough...

dougall

mossygreen wrote:No, I didn't, but that was very clever.

I knew you didn't... really, it was just a cheap pun. nothing smart about picking low hanging fruit.

mossygreen

Hey, now that it's October I'm going to throw out a little Samhain as another almost-but-not-quite entry with November's Fire