davevpi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages davevpi

Just out of curiosity, do you have McAfee antivirus?

We have around 8 Dells and purchased at various different times. All of them - every single one - experienced BSODs until we slicked them and installed a clean Windows. I don't know, but my theory is that some of Dell's bloatware doesn't play nice with McAfee.

It's obnoxious, but for the price and quality of Dell, it hasn't been obnoxious enough for me to not keep buying them.

I'm seriously thinking about getting this laptop for myself (personally). My current laptop is about six years old and I've kinda wanted a 17" for a while.

kolme wrote:I don't own this computer but I do own a dell xps 12 hybrid touchscreen with windows 8. Let me be the first to say that I do not like it at all (and it's supposed to be one of Dells better laptops). My point is that a laptop is best as a laptop and windows 8 is a giant headache. Combine them (like Microsoft had envisioned) and it really just gets worse. My computer is much more of a hassle than anything. It's only 2 months old and I've seen 3 BSOD and countless windows errors. My feeling is that the issues stem from the touch capabilities and windows 8. - I won't be buying a similar style computer until they improve the technology.



crzycajn70


quality posts: 2 Private Messages crzycajn70
dannnnnn wrote:It's kind of creeping me out



It's actually a 3/4 sleeve shirt available from shirt.woot.com. Body of the shirt is white with WOOT! across the chest in green with sleeves the same color as the "I want one" button and "I want one" on both sleeves.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

kolme


quality posts: 12 Private Messages kolme
davevpi wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you have McAfee antivirus?

We have around 8 Dells and purchased at various different times. All of them - every single one - experienced BSODs until we slicked them and installed a clean Windows. I don't know, but my theory is that some of Dell's bloatware doesn't play nice with McAfee.

It's obnoxious, but for the price and quality of Dell, it hasn't been obnoxious enough for me to not keep buying them.

I'm seriously thinking about getting this laptop for myself (personally). My current laptop is about six years old and I've kinda wanted a 17" for a while.



Hey actually I believe they all do have mcafee. I'll see if clean installing as you and the other fellow makes any difference.

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

This is better for $700. 2 displays each 1920x1080,128GB SSD,I5 the outside is touch to work as a tablet- the internal display is conventional when used as a notebook. Even though it's like comparing apples to oranges- I think that this is a far cooler and practical offering than today's woot.

ASUS Taichi 21-UH51

kmartind


quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
gak0090 wrote:This is better for $700.


Hm, I guess it might be kind of cool (I haven't seen one in person so I don't have a good feel for the build quality) but it's more like comparing a Prius to a X5; it has its own advantages but is not even close to comparable in any meaningful way. First off it's an 11" screen compared to 17" and that's before even getting into the whole no drive bays, half the memory, small capacity SSD, lack of expadability, and a (older generation) processor that scores 3117 on Passmark versus this Woot's 7974.
I don't think anybody that is in the market for a 17" laptop would really look at that (unless they're also looking for an ultraportable to go with it) and it seems unlikely that someone looking for an ultraportable would really consider this Woot either.

thecorrectline


quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecorrectline
jeffredo wrote:Have no need for a touchscreen. There's a keyboard and trackpad right there. Why would I want to be poking my greasy fingers on the screen? I'm not five years old - I want to keep that clean.



Wash your hands FFS. What are you 5 years old running around with greasy hands?

gak0090


quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
kmartind wrote:Hm, I guess it might be kind of cool (I haven't seen one in person so I don't have a good feel for the build quality) but it's more like comparing a Prius to a X5; it has its own advantages but is not even close to comparable in any meaningful way. First off it's an 11" screen compared to 17" and that's before even getting into the whole no drive bays, half the memory, small capacity SSD, lack of expadability, and a (older generation) processor that scores 3117 on Passmark versus this Woot's 7974.
I don't think anybody that is in the market for a 17" laptop would really look at that (unless they're also looking for an ultraportable to go with it) and it seems unlikely that someone looking for an ultraportable would really consider this Woot either.



I thought I was pretty clear when I said it was like comparing apples to oranges. But in fact it has 2x 11.6 inch displays both of which are 1920x1080. It can be used like a tablet, which for a touch enabled device makes much more sense. What you lose in RAM performance and CPU performance you partially recover in SSD performance. As far as storage space, it's a lot easier to carry around a 1 TB USB 3.0 external drive for your media files (or a USB 3.0 optical drive for that matter-for the rare times you need one), than it is to lug around a 17.3 inch laptop.It has a backlit keyboard, and you can do things with the dual screen display- that you can't do with today's offering. Like I said apples to oranges- the Asus is just much cooler

kmartind


quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
gak0090 wrote:I thought I was pretty clear when I said it was like comparing apples to oranges.


And yet you still compared them. My point is that there's no objective way to compare that item to this Woot so I think the post is off-topic :^)

angrynerdgirl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages angrynerdgirl

Thanks! This is really helpful.

kmartind wrote:There is definitely a second hard drive bay. It looks like the HP part number for the caddy and cable needed to add a second drive is 720237-001 according to forum postings.

Or if that's not specific enough:



The Newmodeus caddy/cable doesn't look exactly the same, but should still at least work.

Edit: Adding direct links to two soures of the needed part kit, and the forum thread:

HP Part Store: http://h20141.www2.hp.com/Hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?SearchIn=PartNumber&SearchPN=720237-001

Newmodeus: http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_5&products_id=542

Forum thread for reference:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-Upgrades-Replacements/Adding-a-2nd-hard-drive-to-an-Envy-m7-j010dx/td-p/2738615



bluemaple


quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple

Perhaps more comparable than the above ASUS laplet (which is pretty cool), but also demonstrating today's Woot is a pretty good deal:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Spectre-XT-15-4011nr-TouchSmart-Laptop/productID.258686300

+ Thinner at less than an inch.
+ More compact due to 15-inch IPS vs 17-inch display (not clear whether it is IPS).
+ New, shipped free, with free returns vs Refurb.
+ Hybrid HD/SSD might give it enough of a speed boost to eliminate the need to add an SSD.
+ Thunderbolt port.

But deficiencies vs today's woot:
- $50 higher price vs today's woot.
- Some folks might want the larger screen.
- 3rd gen i7 vs Woot 4th gen.
- No second internal drive bay.
- No DVD drive.
- No Bluetooth.
- No indication of a backlit keyboard vs. backlit on woot.

BTW, it is interesting that when Microsoft is selling laptops they strip off all the performance/reliability-sucking crapware! ;-)

Mouthliquor


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mouthliquor
bluemaple wrote:@jpcmpute,

Could it also be that of the top 3 PC sellers (HP, Lenovo, Dell) only HP does NOT appear to have their own *consumer* PC line refurb outlet website?

I'm sure we'll hear if this is not true.



Could the reason they don't have one be because they don't want to deal with such a large number of faulty laptops. All they have to do is keep shipping new ones out the door and pretty much don't have to deal with any issues.

Mouthliquor


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mouthliquor

Be aware that HP sells enough laptops that they get component manufacturers to create specific components just for them. Then, because HP won't update drivers (no need because they are on to the next models already), and because the model is some arbitrary HP offset model, the component manufacturer's driver updates don't work properly.

This is what happened for my graphics card. Here is a forum thread that gives the gist of it: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Gaming-Reply-Only/Updating-Graphics-Card-Drivers/td-p/970403

stormshadow999


quality posts: 2 Private Messages stormshadow999
BTW, it is interesting that when Microsoft is selling laptops they strip off all the performance/reliability-sucking crapware! ;-)


I always assumed that bloatware was added on by the PC manufacturer. That would explain why other PCs won't let you install apps downloaded from a competitor's support page and why the OEM version of Windows doesn't include any of it.

bluemaple


quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
bluemaple wrote:BTW, it is interesting that when Microsoft is selling laptops they strip off all the performance/reliability-sucking crapware! ;-)


stormshadow999 wrote:I always assumed that bloatware was added on by the PC manufacturer. That would explain why other PCs won't let you install apps downloaded from a competitor's support page and why the OEM version of Windows doesn't include any of it.


@stormshadow999, sorry, I could have worded that more clearly. It is the PC manufacturers that add the crapware - in some cases it is their own, but they're paid to put a lot of it there by the software companies.

Apparently Microsoft sees the value of a clean PC and specs it that way by not allowing HP to load the junk for PCs sold thru Microsoft's store.

Presumably we save a few bucks or the PC manufacturers make a few more bucks or a combination. I'd rather pay a few more bucks for a clean PC.

Anybody who has regularly reloaded raw Windows on a PC has seen it run snappier and more reliably.

kmartind


quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
bluemaple wrote:
Anybody who has regularly reloaded raw Windows on a PC has seen it run snappier and more reliably.


It hasn't actually seemed all that bad in recent years. It was pretty bad in the days of AOL dialup and slow PCs with little memory and limited disk space, but at this point I usually just see needed drivers, some web links, maybe a trial of some PDF maker or game or similar, plus an update/support app that might actually be useful for automatically downloading and installing software/driver updates, and an antivirus application (either full or trial). Of those, the only actually noticeable slowdown is usually due to the Antivirus software, but you pretty much need that anyway (if you remove it you'll just need to load another AV program to replace it).

So I tend to just do the PC manufacturer's factory restore, and then perhaps remove the one or two things I don't care about. Those usually uninstall quickly and easily from control panel without issue. What usually takes much longer is letting it go through all the quadrillion Windows updates that have been released since the factory install image was created.

That's actually an advantage of Windows 8 I guess. It hasn't been out long enough to have nearly as many updates yet (though it still has quite a few).

Anyway, that also goes for swapping out a hard drive for an SSD. While you could usually successfully clone the existing hard drive to an SSD, things really work best if you order the recovery DVD media from the PC manufacturer (usually pretty cheap or sometimes even free) and use that to do a fresh install onto the SSD. You might also have some luck using the recovery disc creation tool to burn your own recovery DVDs and install from those, but in some cases they'll refuse to load if the SSD is smaller than the hard drive that the PC originally came with. The pre-made recovery discs should always work though.

edstreiff


quality posts: 1 Private Messages edstreiff

This is a good price, I have been searching for two months for a 4th Gen touch laptop with at least a 15 inch screen. The cheapest I could find was 1k.

Hate how I now have to pay tax on Woot but it was still a good deal

gpantera


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gpantera

My first order with Woot. Great price. How long does it take to get a tracking number for items purchased?

Thanks

Gabrielle

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gpantera wrote:My first order with Woot. Great price. How long does it take to get a tracking number for items purchased?

Thanks

Gabrielle

Things usually ship out in about 3-5 days. Watch your email (and spam) for the tracking info.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jstokerapu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jstokerapu

The HP specs seem to be at odds with what is published here regarding the resolution. But who knows?

Same day shipping is standard in the online industry, but not with Woot. At this rate their warehouse will soon be stacked to the woof with woots. Someday I hope to have one of these in my hot little hands.

Remember to grab the free upgrade to Windows 8.1 on October 21!

janoulle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages janoulle

*sigh* Just got the laptop yesterday and it has a hardware issue al-freaking-ready. When I pull the monitor forward, the screen glitches up (turns striped with a reddish tint). I'm chatting with HP now but I'm a little peeved and ready to return the damn thing to Woot. I'm getting it repaired first and if it's still broken, I'll be returning this sucker back to Woot.

strengthftw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages strengthftw
janoulle wrote:*sigh* Just got the laptop yesterday and it has a hardware issue al-freaking-ready. When I pull the monitor forward, the screen glitches up (turns striped with a reddish tint). I'm chatting with HP now but I'm a little peeved and ready to return the damn thing to Woot. I'm getting it repaired first and if it's still broken, I'll be returning this sucker back to Woot.



That's terrible, thats refurbished for ya... How did you get yours so quick :-/

jbiophi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jbiophi

Mine arrived on Saturday in a huge box with some paper padding but the laptop refub box was banging around inside it. No shipping notification received and the order still says shipping now. I ordered around 5am EST that day.

Here's my take. I have purchased 2 previous HP Refurbs from woot. Out of them all, this one looked more refurbished than the others. My past ones were like new with all plastic and protection on. This one had only the wrap and the felt keyboard protector. There were slight scratches on the HP logo and some slight rub marks on the lid but nothing horrible.
My unit is working perfect so far. Keyboard gives a little more than I am used to with Lenovo and even previous G7 HP laptops.
I ordered the 2nd HDD kit from HP and it arrived before the laptop did. Adding a 2nd HDD was easy. I added an SSD as the primary and this thing flies. 240gb ssd primary and 1gb as the 2nd.

Just letting those know who will plan to do this. I created my recovery DVDs and tried to use them with the new SSD and nothing I did could get it to produce a working recovery image on the new drive. It was not creating all the partitions correctly and installing the OS on an 8gb partition so when it builds itself for the first time it Errors out because its out of space. I wound up giving up and just loading an MSDN copy which activated automatically.

Wonder if the level of refurb will vary between others here. Only time will tell.

bunglebum69


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bunglebum69

Mine just arrived around 10am EST.

As jbiophi posted, the only protection on the laptop itself was the little foam sheet between the screen and the keyboard.
However, mine has absolutely no marks on it that I can see; logo on lid has a perfect mirror shine, no wear on the screen or keyboard, etc.
As far as I can tell, flawless.

First thing I did was test the lid/screen at different angles and opening/closing the lid to see if there were any screen glitches as reported by janoulle. No glitching.

Next thing I did was install BurnInTest.
I plan on letting it run the rest of the workday.
I will report back if there are any fails.

First impressions:
This is a replacement for my 1.5 year old Alienware m14x.
Have to say, the screen is stunning. But it doesn't seem as solidly built as the m14x.
Having the touch and extra screen real estate is nice.

Not much else to say at this point; I do plan on maxing out the RAM and taking the SSD out of the m14x and putting it in the HP.
But I want to see how it fares under BurnInTest first!
It's been about 1.5 hours; I can feel the heat at right about where the power button is, but besides that, she's running great.

strengthftw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages strengthftw

I'll report as soon as I get it, I ordered at 12 or 1 AM the same day so hopefully it's coming today or tommorow even though there's been no tracking number and says "shipping now"

janoulle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages janoulle
strengthftw wrote:That's terrible, thats refurbished for ya... How did you get yours so quick :-/



Yeah, mine apparently shipped even thought the Woot detail page didn't have any shipping/tracking info available.

janoulle


quality posts: 0 Private Messages janoulle
jbiophi wrote:Mine arrived on Saturday in a huge box with some paper padding but the laptop refub box was banging around inside it. No shipping notification received and the order still says shipping now. I ordered around 5am EST that day.

Here's my take. I have purchased 2 previous HP Refurbs from woot. Out of them all, this one looked more refurbished than the others. My past ones were like new with all plastic and protection on. This one had only the wrap and the felt keyboard protector. There were slight scratches on the HP logo and some slight rub marks on the lid but nothing horrible.
My unit is working perfect so far. Keyboard gives a little more than I am used to with Lenovo and even previous G7 HP laptops.
I ordered the 2nd HDD kit from HP and it arrived before the laptop did. Adding a 2nd HDD was easy. I added an SSD as the primary and this thing flies. 240gb ssd primary and 1gb as the 2nd.

Just letting those know who will plan to do this. I created my recovery DVDs and tried to use them with the new SSD and nothing I did could get it to produce a working recovery image on the new drive. It was not creating all the partitions correctly and installing the OS on an 8gb partition so when it builds itself for the first time it Errors out because its out of space. I wound up giving up and just loading an MSDN copy which activated automatically.

Wonder if the level of refurb will vary between others here. Only time will tell.



What was the SSD model you bought for the laptop?

strengthftw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages strengthftw

Did anyone get a dual boot of Ubuntu to work? I turned off secureboot but I'm getting a black screen after after "install ubuntu" in grub from a usb installation

jbiophi


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jbiophi
janoulle wrote:What was the SSD model you bought for the laptop?



Kingston HyperX 240gb

zigw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zigw

i want one,but i missed

strengthftw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages strengthftw

Is anyone having trouble with getting audio to play using headphones? It seems to be a common trouble with HP laptops from searching and I can't find a fix. It plays fine through speakers.

edstreiff


quality posts: 1 Private Messages edstreiff

Mine came and its flawless, it looks like nobody has ever used it previously.

The only thing I dislike is the keyboard, it flexes a lot and is a lot harder to use than the one on my lenovo W530 laptop work provider

strengthftw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages strengthftw

Just came back to review the laptop.

Came in literally flawless, I do agree the keyboard isn't perfect, and I also don't like the touchpad, but everything else is perfect. The screen is A+ except the gloss is noticeable when the brightness isn't max. Computer is extremely fast but since it's a 17 incher even a Haswell processor can't save the battery life which is expected. Finger print scanner is easy to use although not terribly useful, and I'm actually fond of Windows 8.

Feels like I paid 700 for a new laptop.

edstreiff


quality posts: 1 Private Messages edstreiff
strengthftw wrote:Just came back to review the laptop.

Came in literally flawless, I do agree the keyboard isn't perfect, and I also don't like the touchpad, but everything else is perfect. The screen is A+ except the gloss is noticeable when the brightness isn't max. Computer is extremely fast but since it's a 17 incher even a Haswell processor can't save the battery life which is expected. Finger print scanner is easy to use although not terribly useful, and I'm actually fond of Windows 8.

Feels like I paid 700 for a new laptop.



Yeah my battery life has been good considering the size. I get about 4 hours at max brightness if I am doing something non intensive like surfing or email. If I do something like video encoding the battery goes from 100 to 0 in 1 hour and 15 min.

I will say the other day I did manage to get 7.5 hours out of her with the Brightness down the entire way and the touchscreen turned off

mawky


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mawky

I purchased this and am curious if anyone else is having the same problem or can assist in any way.

Since I first received this laptop, when I am using the mouse (via touchpad or even external mouse) the cursor will move to the top middle of the screen and click once (always the same spot). This becomes very annoying as it will take me to a different webpage or open whatever it clicks on that is on the screen in that location of the screen. It seems to happen pretty randomly. Some days it will do it every 10-20 seconds while I'm trying to navigate, other times just a few occurrences, and some days there is no issue. I have checked and made sure i have the latest touchpad/input drivers but it still occurs.

tl;dr cursor moves to the same spot near the top-middle of screen and clicks once while trying to use the mouse.

edstreiff


quality posts: 1 Private Messages edstreiff

This laptop is great except for the keyboard,

I rarely use this laptop because the keyboard is so poor, it flexes like crazy, the buttons don't feel good and..well they just suck the whole keyboard ruins this laptop.

Maybe its because I am spoiled by the excellent keyboard on my Lenovo work laptop or my macbook air but damn its terrible

Surreyfox


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Surreyfox
mawky wrote:I purchased this and am curious if anyone else is having the same problem or can assist in any way.

Since I first received this laptop, when I am using the mouse (via touchpad or even external mouse) the cursor will move to the top middle of the screen and click once (always the same spot). This becomes very annoying as it will take me to a different webpage or open whatever it clicks on that is on the screen in that location of the screen. It seems to happen pretty randomly. Some days it will do it every 10-20 seconds while I'm trying to navigate, other times just a few occurrences, and some days there is no issue. I have checked and made sure i have the latest touchpad/input drivers but it still occurs.

tl;dr cursor moves to the same spot near the top-middle of screen and clicks once while trying to use the mouse.



Did you find a solution to this as I am having the same issue?

mawky


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mawky
Surreyfox wrote:Did you find a solution to this as I am having the same issue?



I have not. I actually came back here to see if there were any responses to my post because it continues to happen and is only becoming more annoying.

When it starts to happen, if I do a full shutdown and boot back up (a simple restart does not fix it) it seems to stop it temporarily, but after a matter of hours it starts to happen again and I have to stop whatever I'm doing and shutdown again.

I'm going to try and do some research as I need to fix this for my own sanity.