quality posts: 2829 Private Messages lichme

Item: Philips Home Theater Upgrades
Price: $39.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3447 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's check out some additional info and so-so (2.9 out of 5.0) reviews over at the product page

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3447 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Middle of the road reviews (3 out of 5 stars) over at walmart.com

SilentLegend

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SilentLegend

Fairly good reviews for the sound bar and sub woofer over at Amazon.

SilentLegend

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SilentLegend

Also a really detailed unboxing of the sound bar and sub woofer on YouTube.

Zewerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zewerr

I'd probably pick up the 3d blu-ray player, if I wasn't convinced that it doesn't do Hulu Plus.

ranscobia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ranscobia

Does the blu ray player also play regular DVDs?

robbroncs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robbroncs

I bought the phillips 32PFL4907/F7 TVa few months ago. . . .will this soundbar attach to it? and fit properly??

cwfenn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cwfenn

Amazon has a bunch of reviews for the home theater (3.5 out of 5 stars)...One person had the thing catch fire?

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-theater-Blu-ray-HTS3541-F7/product-reviews/B007B5WIJ8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

BlackArrow10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BlackArrow10

I purchased this system last year for Black Friday at $59.00 for a new setup. It's nice, but has a few pitfalls. The biggest thing to always remember is you get what you pay for. The remote is nice, doesn't' feel cheap. App and main screen selection is very sluggish (to be expected) The max volume is fairly low, probably around 40% of a normal TV. The sub woofer is great, has a lot of power. I'm going to try to swap my speakers for slightly larger ones, just to see if it makes a quality or volume difference, but other than that, I'll be replacing it with a $500.00 system come this black friday. It's a great system if it gets minimum use. Nice for a bedroom or such

[MOD: Which one?]

element4lifex8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages element4lifex8

Bought the sound bar from the Woot Phillips Sale last week and just got it in the mail yesterday. Set it up and tested the optical input with a DVD and tested the AUX in by streaming TV from my computer. If you read the most liked negative review from amazon (posted in a comment above) it hits the nail on the head. Sound is great quality, but I mean for a 30W system you can't expect a whole lot of output, and it does fall short in the amount of bass category too.

darkag3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkag3

I got it on woot few months ago, sound is good
The only bad thing is that my rip DVD's I can haz? to be play.

Cabs21

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cabs21

I have no sound system in my Living room. Looking to get something for my 65in Vizio TV I got from Woot few months back. Not crazy about perfect sound quality and have been using TV speakers for a while. Never owned a sound system in my life and thought this might be a good way to get my feet wet. Any thoughts?

o||||||||o

WardCleaver

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WardCleaver

I just received my HTS3541/F7 3D theater system.(from last week's Philips sale). After I hooked everything up it just sat there with "STARTING" on the display (nothing on screen). Contacted Philips customer service who didnt even attempt to troubleshoot, but said they would send a replacement with return shipping label.

Ditzzo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ditzzo
ranscobia wrote:Does the blu ray player also play regular DVDs?

The Specs say it will play DVD's and upscale them to "near" HD.

MoltenSteel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MoltenSteel

I'm tight on bucks right now but I'd love to get at least the player. Only problem is I can NOT find out if that unit has RCA outputs on the back(left audio, right audio, & video) I've got a 60" projection that I want to hook it up to(no HDMI).

evangoor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evangoor
Cabs21 wrote:I have no sound system in my Living room. Looking to get something for my 65in Vizio TV I got from Woot few months back. Not crazy about perfect sound quality and have been using TV speakers for a while. Never owned a sound system in my life and thought this might be a good way to get my feet wet. Any thoughts?

If you have a living room large enough to warrant a 65" tv this system will greatly dissapoint. If you are looking to "test the waters" I would recommend spending between 300-500. The systems in that price range are still significantly under-powered but will sound MUCH better than any tv. A high quality 7.1 sound system will run you about 2k, and is well worth it.

kolme

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kolme

thanks for posts people.. was looking at the 5.1 but hearing about the subpar sound quality and iffy BD player, I think im out... although the Sony Bar & Woofer on Tech doesnt look to shabby... 2x the power, add a BD Player and your gtg!

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks

I have an old Philips 5.1 DVD home theater system from 7 years ago. I keep hoping that it would break so I can justify buying a new one.

But.
It.
Just.
Won't.
Die.!!!

So yes, Philips = high quality.

I am not responsible for this post.

Cabs21

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cabs21
evangoor wrote:If you have a living room large enough to warrant a 65" tv this system will greatly dissapoint. If you are looking to "test the waters" I would recommend spending between 300-500. The systems in that price range are still significantly under-powered but will sound MUCH better than any tv. A high quality 7.1 sound system will run you about 2k, and is well worth it.

Not looking to spend twice the cost of my TV on sound when I am basically tone deaf and can only tell good sound from bad sound quality when its obvious. Was trying not to spend $500 on a sound system. This did retail at $200+ new so I was hoping it would be decent enough without a larger investment. Like I said even a sound bar would be better then the 10W or 20W speakers that are in my TV.

o||||||||o

Hoogs88

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Hoogs88

Does anyone know if these soundbars fix that issue TV speakers have where dialogue in movies is too quiet and action scenes are too loud?

MarkErick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MarkErick

Yes. Blu-ray Players do play both Blu-ray and DVD.

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5

Yes, all bluray players also play DVD

MarkErick

robbroncs wrote:I bought the phillips 32PFL4907/F7 TVa few months ago. . . .will this soundbar attach to it? and fit properly??

Nothing physically attaches to the TV but it connects via the A/V connections. SoundBar can be mounted on the wall beneath the TV or simply placed on the surface of where the TV is sitting.

MarkErick

chrisautrey wrote:Terrible reviews at Amazon for the Blu-ray player

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-BDP2185-F7-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B00C0R46KG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380714012&sr=8-1&keywords=BDP2185

Small sampling of reviews likely from early production indicated possible wireless network failure. New software released to resolve the problem. When connecting, set will ask if you want to update software and you select yes. Update takes only a few minutes and you should be "good to go"

parrotice

quality posts: 6 Private Messages parrotice
adr5 wrote:Yes, all bluray players also play DVD

Can you play regular Blurays on a 3D player? Right now, I just use my PS3. it's kind of a pain because I cant get my universal remote to quite get all the functions right, so I still need the stupid PS3 remote. Would love to get a "real" bluray player. I have no need for 3D, tho.

Where's the crap?

michaeltherrien

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaeltherrien
MoltenSteel wrote:I'm tight on bucks right now but I'd love to get at least the player. Only problem is I can NOT find out if that unit has RCA outputs on the back(left audio, right audio, & video) I've got a 60" projection that I want to hook it up to(no HDMI).

Yes, it does. Take a look at the 2nd to last pic. (4 and 5 on the diagram is RCA audio/video)

piat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages piat
Hoogs88 wrote:Does anyone know if these soundbars fix that issue TV speakers have where dialogue in movies is too quiet and action scenes are too loud?

I had this issue with my 40" Spectre TV when playing my PS3. The TV had some sort of "Surround Sound" feature turned on that made dialogue extremely quiet. Turning it off made a world of difference. Check your TV sound settings if you have something like this.

mrjean

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrjean

ok, so is it just netflix and vudu? does it do youtube? hulu (plus)? any other apps?

also, does anybody know if the netflix app supports CC on the app itself? i have a vizio tv that the netflix app refuses to updated to the CC version. its a pain in the behind since im partially dead on one ear!

Hoogs88

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Hoogs88
piat wrote:I had this issue with my 40" Spectre TV when playing my PS3. The TV had some sort of "Surround Sound" feature turned on that made dialogue extremely quiet. Turning it off made a world of difference. Check your TV sound settings if you have something like this.

Just checked and "Theater" mode was on in the "Virtual Surround" setting. Hopefully turning it off fixes the problem. Can't believe I never noticed that before. Thanks!

Kbene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kbene
Cabs21 wrote:I have no sound system in my Living room. Looking to get something for my 65in Vizio TV I got from Woot few months back. Not crazy about perfect sound quality and have been using TV speakers for a while. Never owned a sound system in my life and thought this might be a good way to get my feet wet. Any thoughts?

This is much better than what you have. My two Vizios have great pictures but below average sound.

Kim T. Bene'

chrisautrey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
adr5 wrote:Yes, all bluray players also play DVD

Technically, they do not have to do that according to the spec, but it is encouraged.

chrisautrey

parrotice wrote:Can you play regular Blurays on a 3D player?

Yes

wmk147

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wmk147

Just got the player today from a previous Woot! Powered up for almost 10 seconds then froze...locked up. Total DOA. I should have looked at the Amazon reviews before I jumped on this. TERRIBLE UNIT!!

hexnut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hexnut

Looks like the soundbar doesn't come with an optical cable. Anyone have a suggestion where I can get a cheap one?

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
Hoogs88 wrote:Does anyone know if these soundbars fix that issue TV speakers have where dialogue in movies is too quiet and action scenes are too loud?

You want a center channel speaker. Whatever you get, make sure you have a discrete center channel speaker. No 2.1 sound bars or other cheap systems will address your problem.

Even a 3.0 system with decent sized bookshelf speakers on the left and right and a decent speaker in the middle will take care of your problem. I'd personally rather have that than tiny satellite speakers and a boomy "subwoofer" with a 6" or less driver.

Center channel. That's the ticket.

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom
hexnut wrote:Looks like the soundbar doesn't come with an optical cable. Anyone have a suggestion where I can get a cheap one?

Many people (me among them) consider Monoprice the place for cheap cables.

They charge shipping, but it's actual shipping based on weight and size. You may as well pick up some network and HDMI cables while you are putting together an order.

chrisautrey

hexnut wrote:Looks like the soundbar doesn't come with an optical cable. Anyone have a suggestion where I can get a cheap one?

I've used monoprice before and I think they are OK.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10229