• 5.5% - Anxious 281
  • 12.9% - Depressed 653
  • 11.6% - Enraged 589
  • 49.1% - Disgusted 2492
  • 1.7% - Terrified 85
  • 2.1% - Oddly giddy 108
  • 17.1% - Yeah right like I watch the news 867
5075 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

slappomatt

quality posts: 6 Private Messages slappomatt

our government is broken and careless people put them in power. The entire system needs a restart. Unfortunately the public no longer cares about freedom.

conculcate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages conculcate

Pardon me while I dust off an old saw: If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu
slappomatt wrote:our government is broken and careless people put them in power. The entire system needs a restart. Unfortunately the public no longer cares about freedom.

It certainly seems that way.
All these means of communicating now days, but no one listens.
Oh, but you can "like me" on Facebook...

Ah, the hell with it.

widmer69

quality posts: 14 Private Messages widmer69

Our "friends" in Washington took the ENTIRE month of August off even tho they knew passing a budget would be a struggle, to say the least.
I hate them all.

hooray beer!

seekayeff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seekayeff

I only "listen" to NPR.

mikeplough

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeplough
slappomatt wrote:our government is broken and careless people put them in power. The entire system needs a restart. Unfortunately the public no longer cares about freedom.

Amen....

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett
mikeplough wrote:Amen....

Agreed, but (and I hate to sound so pessimistic ) what can we do about it? Seriously, you can only tell people so many times to pay attention and most of the time the people you hear are the extreme nuts from both sides.

boss155

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boss155

yes i agree we need to stand up and fire the ones who work for us. they are acting like children turning their backs crossing their arms and pouting

fishcandy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fishcandy

What this country needs is an alien invasion. Really. That's about all that could pull this country back together again like it was after Pearl Harbor.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser
boss155 wrote:yes i agree we need to stand up and fire the ones who work for us. they are acting like children turning their backs crossing their arms and pouting

Actually, we need to fire the ones who DON'T work for us. Unfortunately, I haven't had such an opportunity for close to two decades. We have been gerrymandered out of a legitimate election. With districts that stripe across 4 counties. Even though two of them are 80% one party and another 60%. The other party has elected 4 of 5 representatives every election since the 90's (and 3 of 5 since the 70's)

windvestgal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages windvestgal

God, help us all.

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf

it's been a good run. it's time some other country takes on the responsibility of "running" the world. We are finished.

Our congress is run by big business and has been for quite a while. Until congress really works for the people, we will continue this downward spiral.

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf
fishcandy wrote:What this country needs is an alien invasion. Really. That's about all that could pull this country back together again like it was after Pearl Harbor.

like when the trade center was leveled by terrorists and we invaded iraq?

twigfromthestix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages twigfromthestix

We have the government we deserve because we don't pay attention until the Congress does something REALLY stupid. We need an amendment added to the Constitution that Congress gets no pay (same as other Federal workers) when they are dumb enough to close down OUR government. No, I am not a Federal worker.

awehr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awehr
seekayeff wrote:I only "listen" to NPR.

NPR is a well know and very well documented extreme left organization. Not unbiased and doesnt even try to pretend to be.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster

Instead of jumping into the news topics, I'm more disgusted by the lack of what used to be called journalistic discretion.

While it's fantastic that breaking news can be covered almost instantly, there seems to be a race to make statements about what's going on with absolutely no basis.

Just yesterday in DC the first reports were saying shots were fired inside the Capitol, then that a gunman was loose.

Neither was true but that doesn't stop the reporters from stating this as fact.

It seems "say it now, right or wrong" is the new measure of credible news journalism.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

bsanf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bsanf3

The joy of a cord-cutter, I miss all the unconfirmed speculation that they pass as breaking news.

narquespamley

quality posts: 24 Private Messages narquespamley

If you like liberal policies, vote Green.

If you like conservative policies, vote Libertarian.

If you vote Democratic or Republican, you're just supporting entrenched corruption.

I would trust Greens and Libertarians to reach more intelligent compromises than the current crop of crooks.

KATANARYDA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KATANARYDA

>2013
>still listening to mainstream media

ISHYGDDT

w00ten since 7/24/04 and still no Boggy Old Creature ಠ_ಠ

KATANARYDA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KATANARYDA
narquespamley wrote:

lol wut

I don't think so

*edit* I totally misread that LOL
I'm Libertarian as well

w00ten since 7/24/04 and still no Boggy Old Creature ಠ_ಠ

kabrams13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kabrams13
narquespamley wrote:If you like liberal policies, vote Green.

If you vote Democratic or Republican, you're just supporting entrenched corruption.

I would trust Greens and Libertarians to reach more intelligent compromises than the current crop of crooks.

This is a statement of veritable wisdom. Very rarely does a political dialogue present such concise, prudent, and respectful statements. Thank you,narquespamley.

fishcandy wrote:What this country needs is an alien invasion. Really. That's about all that could pull this country back together again like it was after Pearl Harbor.

fishcandy, if this is not a joke, it should be. Don't confuse a blunt statement with a true one. Anyone who believes catastrophic and unjustified violence (by or against any nation, the US included) is one of the best allies these "Two-party thugs" have in a voting both.

I also enjoyed the comments of slappomatt, and olcubmaster. Thank you.

Proud Libertarian - out.

nojink

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nojink

Actually it's NOT news. 90% of the media in America is controlled by 6 CORPORATIONS. Hush-Hush subjects include almost everything. Even college books lie.

Everything is a controlled corporate message.

PapaMidnight

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PapaMidnight
conculcate wrote:Pardon me while I dust off an old saw: If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

6 years bag-of-crapless and counting...

koshhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koshhi

I hope the top comment isn't the zeitgeist. You shouldn't be tying your happiness to the governing body anyway. Dis is the land of the free, reach out, friend.

chimeroid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chimeroid

Time to force arbitration. I wish we had an amendment that would oblige the Senate and House to keep this nation functional. We need to be able to function as a nation.
Both Parties long ago sold out to constituents, SIG's, and mega-corps. Just 2 sides of the same coin. The 99% have never been represented by either party.
Both parties could learn something from the new Pope...stop dwelling on divisive issues!!
I'm not Catholic BTW, more agnostic to atheist. Live and let live, so long as No harm to others.
The media assaults us with snow jobs and half truths at best. Most often distortions, yellow journalism and lies.
All things are connected. Change one thing and the repercussions will have unforseeable ripple effects throughout the fabric of our lives, other Nations and time.
This is a key point that partisan politics refuses to consider. Win now at any cost and let the next set of elected (bought) officials deal with the damage.
It's time to treat running a country like a fragile ecosystem, not a platform for minority special interests.
Just my 2 cents

phildcat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phildcat

1 part of the problem is some people only get news from TV.
Another is that so few read a paper.
So they vote for the ones who spend the most on ads.
Then we have those who don't listen, read or watch the news.
Now that is scary.

pradovista

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pradovista

When the American media is biased and the American people want something for nothing, what kind of governemnt can you expect?

1wally1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 1wally1

I'm disgusted, enraged and depressed.
Everything is doom and gloom.
If there is any light at the end of the tunnel please show me the way....
Being constantly bombarded with negative has it's effects.
I for one am worn out with it.....It's hard to maintain a positive attitude. Just when i get over it another crisis is in the news !!
Color me ....... given up.

mamapenny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mamapenny

Re the poll, my actual feeling is frustration.
Frustration with the Republicans on the Hill and their cavalier attitude toward the financial harm this shutdown causes to so many people, and not just those they're willing to give retroactive pay, but the rest of the enterprises that will not be able to get back monies lost.
ALSO with the portion of the electorate that so blindly follows the advice of tea party and advertising by groups like "Americans for Prosperity" without bothering to check the veracity of what they say

SoiledDude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SoiledDude
awehr wrote:NPR is a well know and very well documented extreme left organization. Not unbiased and doesnt even try to pretend to be.

So says the purveyor of Faux News.

frymeariver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frymeariver
ardubu wrote:It certainly seems that way.
All these means of communicating now days, but no one listens.
Oh, but you can "like me" on Facebook...

excellent point-- the masses have the ability to "communicate" instantly with the world- most of that "communication" is a mile wide and an inch deep.

indgosky

quality posts: 0 Private Messages indgosky

It's hard to choose just one emotion, but I eventually selected the one that turned out to be what 50% so far have chosen. But really...

In addition to being "disgusted" with ALL of them (left, right and el presidente himself), I'm also "depressed" that there is seemingly no peaceful cure for it; "anxious" over how long it will take before the tipping point where something big happens all at once; "enraged" at the people who are still playing partisan finger pointing games (el presidente and his devout included); and "terrified" for my children's future, be it in an apocalyptic, war-torn wasteland, or in a poor, debt-riddled, jobless economy, or both.

joesnodgrass

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joesnodgrass

none of the above

Audioman1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Audioman1

Half the problem is the Press they treat the news as a reality show, not like is was in the 60's when they gave us the news instead of what they want us to hear like it is now, and most of that is made up or out of context.

sabotageapril

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sabotageapril

i stopped watching the news years ago because i would get depressed and disgusted. my insomnia is even worse if i watch the news because i stay up thinking and worrying about everything. now i just get "news" from my facebook news feed and stay up worrying about all the bees dying.

dtairtime

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dtairtime
SoiledDude wrote:So says the purveyor of Faux News.

Right into the insults?

Listen I am very liberal and very conservative on different things. I have not watched or read any fox news (or any network news) for a long time but I do listen to NPR occasionally. But if I did watch regular news I would certainly watch fox as much as I watched nbc or cnn.

NPR is certainly left leaning to me but like all things subjective it's a matter of perspective. Fox is certainly right leaning to me as well. Just as most news sources seem to have an agenda anymore. I base a lot of this on simple common sense. If they refuse to be critical of one party more than the other they are biased - PERIOD.