Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Search Amazon Search Google

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3346 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Not sure which processor is right for you? Check out this handy processor guide

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3346 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

additional info and great reviews (4.7 out of 5.0) can be found over at the product page

campbeln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages campbeln

Anyone know if you can Hackintosh this? There is a posting I found with a quick Google, but I think his translator was broken (as it seems it's possible):

http://www.yumapk.com/never-install-hackintosh-on-your-toshiba-satellite-u925t-s2120.html

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

I have a bit of time for once:
PCMag review
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416581,00.asp

Notebookcheck.net collection
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Toshiba-Satellite-U925T-S2120.89882.0.html

fair quality unboxing video

[MOD: Bad video removed]

blkdog40

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blkdog40

Sensors & Location: 3-Axis Gyroscope, 3-Axis magnetometer for Digital Compass, 3D Accelerometer, Ambient Light Sensor, GPS

Good for a car-puter?

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

This is better for $700. 2 displays each 1920x1080,128GB SSD,I5 the outside is touch to work as a tablet- the internal display is conventional when used as a notebook.

ASUS Taichi 21-UH51

NascarDad

quality posts: 21 Private Messages NascarDad

Too bad about the 4GB Maximum RAM too. Just not enough, especially with an SSD, IMO.

2maxmart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 2maxmart

Windows 8 users,

Can you create multiple users like windows 7?

gak0090

NascarDad wrote:Too bad about the 4GB Maximum RAM too. Just not enough, especially with an SSD, IMO.

Although I agree that it would be nice to have a little more RAM, the SSD would help- you don't have to disable the page file, SSDs have better wear leveling than they did in the past and windows does a better job with page file use. If you keep the page file enabled, you should be OK performance wise.

tcjoyce

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tcjoyce
2maxmart wrote:Windows 8 users,

Yes, of course. Really, if you only use desktop all day, it's basically Windows 7 without a start button (which returns in 8.1)

levisc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages levisc

If the max memory is 4GB then the processor is not 64bit- which means the parts are archaic ..... a 64 bit processor goes beyond the 4GB of memeory.
Also the SSD is too small most SSDs are now in the 256 GB

Toshiba is trying to assemble a machine with old inventory parts that are no longer marketable.
Disappointed......

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, I think we've given Windows 8 enough beat downs in the previous couple hundred computer threads. Windows 8 isn't going away so it's time to accept that it's here to stay. Of course, you can put whatever operating system you want on the computer once it's yours!

So how about talking about the computer?

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

CallMeLee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CallMeLee
levisc wrote:If the max memory is 4GB then the processor is not 64bit- which means the parts are archaic ..... a 64 bit processor goes beyond the 4GB of memeory.

Toshiba is trying to assemble a machine with old inventory parts that are no longer marketable.
Disappointed......

Actually, the 4GB limitation is a function of BIOS, not the CPU, which is indeed a 64bit CPU. You could install the 64bit version of Win8 on this with no problem.

This device obviously isn't targeted toward power users, but for you students, housewives, exec types this would be a neat machine.

tslattery

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tslattery
levisc wrote:If the max memory is 4GB then the processor is not 64bit- which means the parts are archaic ..... a 64 bit processor goes beyond the 4GB of memeory.

Disappointed......

WHAT? All Core processors from Intel have been 64-bit since around 2008 or maybe earlier. Just because the system has a RAM limitation does not mean it's based on the architecture of the CPU.

Please don't spread misinformation just because you heard that there is a link between 4GB of memory and 64 bit processors.

ETA: The idea that "most SSDs are 256 GB" is an exaggeration at best. Plenty of laptops with SSDs are still being sold with 128 GBs or lower.

bluemaple

quality posts: 74 Private Messages bluemaple

@gak0090, agreed, if you're ready to spend $605 on this Woot for a refurb it seems like it wouldn't be much of a stretch to go to $700 for a new unit.

While I normally prefer Toshiba (Woot) to ASUS, that double articulated (slide/tilt) Toshiba display makes me wonder how durable it would be.

The ASUS 2nd touch display, while a bit odd, has some interesting possibilities since it can be used independently or as a second mirrored display.

And while the 1080p vs 768x1366 display resolution issue gets overplayed in my opinion (I've used both), it gives the ASUS another advantage.

gak0090 wrote:This is better for $700. 2 displays each 1920x1080,128GB SSD,I5 the outside is touch to work as a tablet- the internal display is conventional when used as a notebook.

ASUS Taichi 21-UH51

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

Fry's Electronics offers the ASUS VivoBook S500 Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5 1.7GHz 15.6" Touchscreen Ultrabook, model no. S500CA-S150305T, for an in-cart price of $598. Choose in-store pickup to dodge a shipping fee of around $11. That's $32 under the lowest shipped price we could find for a ASUS VivoBook with a similar configuration, although we saw a VivoBook with a Core i7 processor and 8GB RAM for $48 less in August. It features an Intel Core i5-3317U 1.7GHz Ivy Bridge dual-core processor, 15.6" 1366x768 LED-backlit multi-touch LCD, 6GB RAM, 500GB hard drive and 24GB SSD, 802.11n wireless, webcam, USB 3.0, HDMI, 3-cell battery, and Windows 8 64-bit. (It doesn't have an optical drive.)

bluemaple

quality posts: 74 Private Messages bluemaple

Thin laptops:

Do yourself a favor by knowing whether you like the particular thin keyboard.

While most folks can adjust to different keyboards, some of these have very little key travel or odd key spacing.

Some thin keyboards work very well but others... (my experience with Toshiba thin keyboards has been positive.)

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr

128GB seems a bit limited for an ultrabook. My wife and I bought the last Toshiba touch-top offering for $285, and it has a 500GB hard drive. I know the processor and display here trump it, but that seems like an odd capacity limitation. Most non-power users will not have a hard time filling that up pretty quick.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

So what do y'all think about the 2-in-1 devices? Are these something you'd like to see more of?

How does this one compare to other slides - features, price point, etc.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

gak0090

ThunderThighs wrote:So what do y'all think about the 2-in-1 devices? Are these something you'd like to see more of?

I like them. I think they should have a 1920x1080p resolution though. It would be nice to see 8gb RAM, I can live with 128gb HD because I could keep an external USB 3.0 for media files- oh and it should cost $1 with free shipping.

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey all, I think we've given Windows 8 enough beat downs in the previous couple hundred computer threads.

Negative, but at least Balmer left.

Still single, can't imagine why.

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr

Bracing for the hate, but I really like Win8. Feels modern, and easy enough to use if you've used other Windows operating systems. It should be noted, though, that you should really only use it with touch interface. If your bad experience has come from a non-touch experience, you're doing it wrong.

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
ThunderThighs wrote:So what do y'all think about the 2-in-1 devices? Are these something you'd like to see more of?

I like them and would love to see more. I might even buy one as my new portable once PearOS 8 comes out (if it proves to have a decent touch component to it)...

Price point is fair to good, though a bit high for someone to just try out (an entry level, lower featured one in the $300ish range would be awesome). Features and appearance are good. As was pointed out, keyboards on toshiba products are usually quite pleasant (my netbook, for example, has the closest to full size you can get with a 10" screen, and it's pretty great to type with).

kolme

quality posts: 11 Private Messages kolme

Not a super 2 in 1 fan but I do own one (Dell xps 12 @ ~500 bucks more than this one). Even with my hybrid, I still prefer my ipad mini for those on-the-go tablet needs. The hybrid is just a bit too bulky and it can be a pain to work in tablet mode, especially when using the internet. Touching a text box while in desktop mode in windows doesnt bring up the keyboard (ARGH!). And often times, scrolling becomes a complete hassle when accessing the internet via the desktop in tablet form (>.> it attempts to select "highlight" all the words on the page instead). Ofcourse i've tried to use the IE app through W8, but it isnt compatible with several sites including the primary site for my school. I also have had some issues during the transformation process where if a video is playing or some other function is occuring, it is likely these processes will freeze (WMP, games, kitty videos...). I also have a other driver type issues that i need to look into and may be completely on my end (Ive been busy =().

What i do like is that you can (atleast on mine) turn the screen around so that the keyboard is behind the screen allowing the screen to be close and personal on a table. It helps me with reviewing ppts since many slides contain a plethora of words. The highlighting feature is nice as well (for all touches on ppt).. Beyond that, I dont really use the hybrid qualities for anything else (as a medical student). The only other nice thing i can think of is the price when compared to if you want to buy a somewhat nice laptop and an ipad mini. (which i strangely enough have all 3 >.>)

Kolme

orokukarisawa

quality posts: 2 Private Messages orokukarisawa
PhilCarr wrote:128GB seems a bit limited for an ultrabook. My wife and I bought the last Toshiba touch-top offering for $285, and it has a 500GB hard drive. I know the processor and display here trump it, but that seems like an odd capacity limitation. Most non-power users will not have a hard time filling that up pretty quick.

It's not really a fair comparison, cause this a 128 GB Solid State Drive (SSD). These are generally more expensive than traditional hard drives and lower capacity. But the benefit is they perform significantly fast, allowing the computer and programs to boot quicker. they are also less susceptible to damage from shock and fall. They are also less prone to failure. Overall I consider the performance boost to be worth the drop in capacity. I personally install all main programs that I access on the SSD to provide for quicker load, start, and boot times, then stuff like pictures, movies, and music I keep on an external USB 3.0 Hard Drive.

jtortho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jtortho

I was waiting for oneof these and purchased one of the dell Xp 12 just 1 week ago. I bought theupscale version,i7, 8G ram 256ssd. This would likely have served the purpose for about 400 less

dvdvija

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dvdvija
2maxmart wrote:Windows 8 users,

Yes, you can create multiple users with Windows 8.

lboban

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lboban
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey all, I think we've given Windows 8 enough beat downs in the previous couple hundred computer threads. Windows 8 isn't going away so it's time to accept that it's here to stay. Of course, you can put whatever operating system you want on the computer once it's yours!

Amen, sister.

lboban

quality posts: 12 Private Messages lboban
PhilCarr wrote:Bracing for the hate, but I really like Win8. Feels modern, and easy enough to use if you've used other Windows operating systems. It should be noted, though, that you should really only use it with touch interface. If your bad experience has come from a non-touch experience, you're doing it wrong.

No hate here. I bought a Windows 8 laptop for my less than tech savvy husband. He loves it. It works fine. I'm used to a Windows 7 machine for work - and all my mobile devices run Android. Windows 8 takes some getting used to - but doesn't everything?

JustSam

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JustSam

You lost me at "1366 x 768". Such a pathetic resolution.

lkuderick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lkuderick

I happen to own a slightly different model of this ultrabook and I love it. The slider keyboard is excellent and seems very durable. I have Win8.1 running on the machine and it works great. It IS a 64 bit version of the OS and I don't find myself limited by the amount of memory at all. However, it does depend on what you want the laptop for. I use it for web surfing, viewing movies, light work, email and skype and it works excellent for that. I take it on my trips instead of a heavier laptop. I can run VMWare and run a virtual machine via an external HD via the USB 3.0 port and I also have 45GB of Skydrive space so disk space is not a issue. I bought a RJ45 to USB3.0 cable so I can use cable connections if necessary but the wireless works very well. Overall, this is a really excellent machine and don't underestimate the slider keyboard. I used to have a tablet that I carried around and found that I always needed to go get the keyboard when I needed to do something that was just a bit too much for touch. Now, I just slide the keyboard out, do what I need and slide it back under the tablet. This is a great design. Highly Recommended!

Corrosive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Corrosive

I had one of these and loved it. Its alot thinner than it seems and is very useable as a tablet. As for the ram, I am pretty sure you can upgrade to 8gb as well as the SSD. Ok, ya, I just checked... Crucial sells a "Guaranteed" upgrade. I just googled u925t ram upgrade. Still great machine for this price. I sold mine used for more than this and am tempted to get another.

carbuff97

quality posts: 0 Private Messages carbuff97
JustSam wrote:You lost me at "1366 x 768". Such a pathetic resolution.

No joke. Anything less than 800 vertical isn't worth having. I hate having to constantly scroll up and down to look at everything on a webpage. When are they going to start offering an ultrabook that actually has awesome resolution? My kid's cheap 7" tablet has better resolution.

enriquei

quality posts: 10 Private Messages enriquei

How does this compare to the HP 27xx series? I like to convert to a tablet and take notes with a stylus. Does this support stylus? I'm surprised that the max ram on this is 4gb. My 2710p with a core 2 duo supports 8gb...

jultox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jultox

Laptop Memory from Toshiba Spec sheet
Memory

Configured with 4GB DDR3 1600MHz (max 8GB)

1 main memory slot. Slot is
occupied. (Not user replaceable)

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/satellite_U925T-S2120.pdf

I read on a Toshiba forum that this memory slot can be upgraded to 8GB by a Toshiba service center due to difficulty in opening case.

Crucial has the upgrades for this, both Memory and Disk at:
http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Toshiba-memory/Satellite+U900+Series/Satellite+U925T-S2120-upgrades.html

This looks like a decent touch screen...

Corrosive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Corrosive
jultox wrote:Laptop Memory from Toshiba Spec sheet
Memory

Configured with 4GB DDR3 1600MHz (max 8GB)

1 main memory slot. Slot is
occupied. (Not user replaceable)

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/product/pdf_files/detailed_specs/satellite_U925T-S2120.pdf

I read on a Toshiba forum that this memory slot can be upgraded to 8GB by a Toshiba service center due to difficulty in opening case.

Crucial has the upgrades for this, both Memory and Disk at:
http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/Toshiba-memory/Satellite+U900+Series/Satellite+U925T-S2120-upgrades.html

This looks like a decent touch screen...

I am sure that replacing the Ram is a warranty voider, thats probably why they don't want people to do it (well that plus the fact that they want your money to do a very simple task). I took the back cover off mine very easily, its only a few screws and some light prying.

thecorrectline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecorrectline
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey all, I think we've given Windows 8 enough beat downs in the previous couple hundred computer threads. Windows 8 isn't going away so it's time to accept that it's here to stay. Of course, you can put whatever operating system you want on the computer once it's yours!

The operating system is in fact an important factor in choosing a new computer. Win 8 has some real problems.

Rather than attempting to curtail a reasonable point of discussion for a major hardware purchase perhaps you could simply point out that the Windows 8 downgrade to Windows 7 is fairly easy and free.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
thecorrectline wrote:The operating system is in fact an important factor in choosing a new computer. Win 8 has some real problems.

Rather than attempting to curtail a reasonable point of discussion for a major hardware purchase perhaps you could simply point out that the Windows 8 downgrade to Windows 7 is fairly easy and free.

I asked for a list of the aspects of this computer we could talk about but my post was deleted.

I always did like yardsales.