WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

ZOMM Wireless Leash for Cellphones w/Bluetooth Handsfree Kit

We wouldn't want you to ever be separated from your cellphone, and by getting one of these you'll have taken one more preventative measure to not losing your phone so that you never have to be apart from it ever, ever again. No one deserves that. No one.

zommtech

quality posts: 7 Private Messages zommtech

ZOMM has three main features: 1. Connects to your phone via bluetooth and if you ever accidentally leave your phone at home, work, the movies, a restaurant or in a cab, ZOMM vibrates, lights up, then sounds an alarm, reminding you to go back and get it. 2. If you ever need emergency assistance, just press the center button on ZOMM and call police, fire or ambulance. Once connected you can use ZOMM as a speaker phone and describe what's wrong. You can also put a custom number in ZOMM that dials your parents, kids or a friend (no monthly fees). 3. Use as a speaker phone with a noise canceling microphone to answer calls at home, the office or in your car WITH the custom ZOMM safe driving kit included in this special sale.

kurtois

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kurtois

zommtech -

Could I pair this with a Macbook Pro or and iPad that has Bluetooth and be alerted when they no longer are connected?

Does the device work on the principle that when it has lost connection with the Bluetooth device it is paired to, it sounds an alarm?

How can I determine how much charge is in the battery?

Is the battery replaceable?

kurtois

Looks like the FAQ addresses some of my questions.

http://www.zomm.com/FAQ

IS THE BATTERY REPLACEABLE? HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
The Wireless Leash's rechargeable lithium ion battery is built-in and cannot be replaced. Attempting to change the battery will void your warranty. The battery should last several years with normal use and operation.

kurtois

More answers here:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/2012/12/23/zomm-wireless-leash-review-2/

kurtois

Is it possible to connect more than one of these devices to an Apple Macbook Pro and then have them alert if separated from the machine? How about more than one connected to an Apple iPhone?

I am thinking of using these for the three dogs that I have; one device per dog.

zommtech2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zommtech2
kurtois wrote:zommtech -

Could I pair this with a Macbook Pro or and iPad that has Bluetooth and be alerted when they no longer are connected?

Does the device work on the principle that when it has lost connection with the Bluetooth device it is paired to, it sounds an alarm?

How can I determine how much charge is in the battery?

Is the battery replaceable?

Hi Kurtois,

The Wireless Leash can connect to any mobile device that supports Bluetooth, which includes the iPad. If your computer supports the Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile (HFP), the Wireless Leash should be able to connect to it. However, it may not connect with all computers.

Yes, when the Bluetooth connection is lost, the alarm is triggered. When you take the Wireless Leash outside the Bluetooth range of your device, it will alarm.

The ZOMM will say "battery low" when it needs to be charged. It will repeat every half hour.

The battery can take hundreds of full charge cycles (plugging in when half charged would be half a cycle), before there is any loss of charge at all. It can be used for years without noticeable battery degradation. The battery is not replaceable.

zommtech2

kurtois wrote:Is it possible to connect more than one of these devices to an Apple Macbook Pro and then have them alert if separated from the machine? How about more than one connected to an Apple iPhone?

I am thinking of using these for the three dogs that I have; one device per dog.

The answer to your question depends on the mobile device or computer to which you are connecting.

iOS devices, such as the iPhone and iPad, can be connected to up to two Bluetooth hands-free devices at a time. This means that you can connect two ZOMM Wireless Leashes to any iOS device at the same time.

This may or may not be the case with your computer. You would have to test by attempting to connect two Bluetooth hands-free devices to it.

cappo

quality posts: 34 Private Messages cappo

A wireless leash for your wireless leash.

kurtois

zommtech2 wrote:This may or may not be the case with your computer. You would have to test by attempting to connect two Bluetooth hands-free devices to it.

Any chance you could perform this testing on an Apple computer at your disposal? The answer would be helpful to me and others (and maybe sell more Zomm devices?).

traquy

quality posts: 51 Private Messages traquy

I might be a little confused, but if it sounds the alarm if the device is not near it...then does the alarms just go off non-stop when you get out of your car to go into the store or do you have to "disconnect" your device manually before you get out to keep it from just sounding the alarm the whole time? In other words, how does it know if the device is left at the restaurant accidentally or if it is at the restaurant with you?

zommtech2

traquy wrote:I might be a little confused, but if it sounds the alarm if the device is not near it...then does the alarms just go off non-stop when you get out of your car to go into the store or do you have to "disconnect" your device manually before you get out to keep it from just sounding the alarm the whole time? In other words, how does it know if the device is left at the restaurant accidentally or if it is at the restaurant with you?

Hi traquy,

The ZOMM Wireless Leash is most typically attached to a key chain. Whenever you leave your phone behind (and get more than 30 feet away), the Wireless Leash will alarm to let you know.

When triggered, the Leash alarm will sound for 30 seconds before it is cancelled. A tap of the Z-button will also cancel the alarm.

When within Bluetooth range (when you have your phone and keys with you), there will be no alarm.

If you intend to leave your Wireless Leash or your keys behind for any reason and take your phone, or vise versa, simply turn the Wireless Leash off (hold down Z-button for 1 beep). When you turn it back on, it will reconnect to your mobile phone.

The quick-release keychain - part of the Safe Driving Kit - lets you use the visor clip for hands-free calls while driving, but still easily reattach the Wireless Leash to your keys to take it with you.

kurtois

kurtois wrote:Any chance you could perform this testing on an Apple computer at your disposal? The answer would be helpful to me and others (and maybe sell more Zomm devices?).

I guess my question was overlooked.

zommtech2

kurtois wrote:I guess my question was overlooked.

Hi Kurtois,

We've been doing some testing and research since you asked your question and it appears that only one Bluetooth hands-free device at a time can be connected to a Macbook with the latest OSX version. You could connect up to two Wireless Leashes to an iPhone or iPad, attach them to your dogs and, when they get too far away, the Wireless Leashes will alarm.

teacupsquid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages teacupsquid

How long do you have to push the button for the 9-11 feature to activate? Or, alternatively, can you turn the 9-11 feature off? I'm just worried that with it sitting in a crowded purse, I'd be calling the coppers all the time.

zommtech2

teacupsquid wrote:How long do you have to push the button for the 9-11 feature to activate? Or, alternatively, can you turn the 9-11 feature off? I'm just worried that with it sitting in a crowded purse, I'd be calling the coppers all the time.

Hi teacupsquid,

With the latest update, pressing and holding the Z-button for a total of 9 seconds (through a 3-second Panic Alarm), will trigger the emergency call. The Wireless Leash will say "dialing emergency assistance" before placing the call.

Using the myZOMM software on your computer, you can customize the emergency number of the Wireless Leash to any phone number. It is not possible to completely deactivate, but you can ensure that you do not call the police.

kurtois

zommtech2 wrote:Hi Kurtois,

We've been doing some testing and research since you asked your question and it appears that only one Bluetooth hands-free device at a time can be connected to a Macbook with the latest OSX version. You could connect up to two Wireless Leashes to an iPhone or iPad, attach them to your dogs and, when they get too far away, the Wireless Leashes will alarm.

I appreciate you taking the time to test out my idea. Thank you.

teacupsquid

quality posts: 1 Private Messages teacupsquid
zommtech2 wrote:Hi teacupsquid,

With the latest update, pressing and holding the Z-button for a total of 9 seconds (through a 3-second Panic Alarm), will trigger the emergency call. The Wireless Leash will say "dialing emergency assistance" before placing the call.

Using the myZOMM software on your computer, you can customize the emergency number of the Wireless Leash to any phone number. It is not possible to completely deactivate, but you can ensure that you do not call the police.

Thank you for your reply

cathgirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cathgirl

I read a review elsewhere that you need Zomm leash plus for the iPhone app to work. Is this true?

zommtech

cathgirl wrote:I read a review elsewhere that you need Zomm leash plus for the iPhone app to work. Is this true?

Yes, the iPhone app will only work with a plus, but the product in this WOOT sale will work with any phone, including iPhones.

jpbroach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpbroach

I bought this last time around. AWFUL doesn't even begin to describe this product. I really loved when the bluetooth would drop off for a second and the alarm would go off all the time. Avoid!

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
jpbroach wrote:I bought this last time around. AWFUL doesn't even begin to describe this product. I really loved when the bluetooth would drop off for a second and the alarm would go off all the time. Avoid!

thanks for saving me the money. I work in a hospital and that wouldn't be acceptable.

I always did like yardsales.

zommtech2

jpbroach wrote:I bought this last time around. AWFUL doesn't even begin to describe this product. I really loved when the bluetooth would drop off for a second and the alarm would go off all the time. Avoid!

Hi jpbroach,

When this (rarely) happens, it is because the mobile phone is randomly dropping the Bluetooth connection.

Fortunately, there is an easy troubleshooting step which should prevent your phone from dropping the Bluetooth connection. Perform a soft reset on your phone.

To do this, turn the phone off and remove its battery for at least 10 seconds. Then replace the battery and turn the phone back on.

If you have an iPhone, you can reset it by pressing and holding the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button together for at least 15 seconds until the phone powers off and the apple logo reappears. Your iPhone will reset and turn back on in a few moments.

This will prevent the phone from causing further false disconnections.

bkelly99

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkelly99

Sounds like a useless product unless your a senior and looking for an inexpensive LIFE ALERT Option?

Bret Kelly

zommtech2

bkelly99 wrote:Sounds like a useless product unless your a senior and looking for an inexpensive LIFE ALERT Option?

Hi bkelly99,

The Wireless Leash has three useful functions. It is an emergency dialer, i.e. life alert-type system that is portable (not tethered to the home) and with no monthly charge. It is a hands-free speakerphone. And it is a Wireless Leash, triggering an alarm whenever you leave your phone behind.

If you ever need to get help in an emergency, need a hands-free speakerphone, or are worried about forgetting your phone, the ZOMM Wireless Leash is a useful product for you.

iguana71

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iguana71

I have an older LG smartphone running Android 2.2 (ancient by today's standards) and NEVER HAD this issue. If you had knowledge of BT you might understand the problem is the low quality BT radio in YOUR PHONE and not the device.

Buy a better phone next time rather than blame an accessory maker trying to make your phone more useful.

zommtech

We have had many satisfied customers use ZOMM for the emergency calling feature alone. With no monthly fee, it's been used and recommended by many in the medical community as well as emergency responders.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
zommtech wrote:We have had many satisfied customers use ZOMM for the emergency calling feature alone. With no monthly fee, it's been used and recommended by many in the medical community as well as emergency responders.

I believe that. I'm just thinking about an alarm going off at work because of a dropped bluetooth link.

I always did like yardsales.

dcohn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcohn

Can you turn off the alarm so it only vibrates if you get separated from your keys?

n4mrc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages n4mrc
iguana71 wrote:I have an older LG smartphone running Android 2.2 (ancient by today's standards) and NEVER HAD this issue. If you had knowledge of BT you might understand the problem is the low quality BT radio in YOUR PHONE and not the device.

Buy a better phone next time rather than blame an accessory maker trying to make your phone more useful.

I also had problems with it spontaneously disconnecting. I updated the software in the Zomm, I used it with 2 different Galaxy S3 phones and a Jitterbug Plus, not exactly crap phones. Had the same problem on all three phones, even under controlled conditions (just had the phone and Zomm sitting on the table in front of me, side by side). Would not recommend unless you don't mind the (several times a day) disconnects.

zommtech2

n4mrc wrote:I also had problems with it spontaneously disconnecting. I updated the software in the Zomm, I used it with 2 different Galaxy S3 phones and a Jitterbug Plus, not exactly crap phones. Had the same problem on all three phones, even under controlled conditions (just had the phone and Zomm sitting on the table in front of me, side by side). Would not recommend unless you don't mind the (several times a day) disconnects.

Hi n4mrc,

Did you ever try resetting any of those phones? With most mobile phones, random disconnections is not a problem, though any phone could potentially get into an error state and drop the Bluetooth connection.

Though it is the Wireless Leash that is alarming, it is the phone dropping the Bluetooth connection which triggers this behavior.

It has nothing to do with the newness or price of the phone. In each case, a soft reset will correct the phone's behavior and prevent false disconnections.

zommtech2

dcohn wrote:Can you turn off the alarm so it only vibrates if you get separated from your keys?

Hi dcohn,

Yes, you can customize the settings of your Wireless Leash using the myZOMM software on your computer.

You can set the Leash alarm volume to low or vibrate only.

ohhhahhh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ohhhahhh

What is the warranty on the Zomm device? I bought one the last time Woot had it on sale and it's already broken on me. The casing literally fell apart about 6-8 weeks ago.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ohhhahhh wrote:What is the warranty on the Zomm device? I bought one the last time Woot had it on sale and it's already broken on me. The casing literally fell apart about 6-8 weeks ago.

We list warranties at the bottom of the Features page. The ones in this sale have a 1 Year ZOMM warranty.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

zommtech2

ohhhahhh wrote:What is the warranty on the Zomm device? I bought one the last time Woot had it on sale and it's already broken on me. The casing literally fell apart about 6-8 weeks ago.

It sounds like the ultrasonic weld holding your device's case together has failed. This can be covered under the 1-year Manufacturer's Warranty.

Please contact our Customer Service department at support.zomm.com.

zommtech

Many are using ZOMM for the emergency dialing feature with no monthly fee. It comes already programmed with 911, but you can easily change to another number if you wish. Works with any phone, anywhere in the world that has a mobile phone signal.

sofiacowan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sofiacowan

So....we just got our Zomm's today. My husband ordered 2, one for each of us. We both have the Samsung S4 and the Zomm will not work on either of our phones.

I don't necessarily think it's the phone. I think we were sent dudd's. Connect it to the computer and pull up the website....it tells me the thing was interrupted in the middle of 'recovery mode' and that it'll try and recover it.

Then it fails......*sigh* And of course there is no support to call on the weekend.