jkirkintexas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jkirkintexas

Darn, still to expensive! Just don't have that money this week. #disappointed otherwise if I had the money I would get it. :/

Kingu

quality posts: 42 Private Messages Kingu

I have this piece of hardware somewhere in my house. It has been serviced twice by Asus, and still does not work. I just finally gave up fighting on it.

WHEN IT WORKS, it is probably the best 'laptop' replacement I've ever had. Massively powerful battery, great for on the road work - I worked for two weeks at Disneyworld with this thing, running reports, handling massive amounts of e-mail, etc.

Then the 'ghost touches' started. (search 'asus ghost touch windows rt') Effectively, once it starts, you no longer have a touch screen tablet. As you can imagine, a tablet which doesn't have a touch screen is useless.

ABSOLUTELY get the Square Trade warranty if you decide to jump on this deal.

Again, though, WHEN IT WORKS, this is an awesome deal. It has the full Office 2013 on it, more than enough apps to keep you entertained, and enough connectivity (and storage expansion) to handle pretty much whatever you throw at it.

Honestly, I'm tempted to jump on this deal, as I really miss mine, with the hopes that the factory reconditioned units will never get the ghost touch problem.

ohreeds

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ohreeds

Just got this from a Woot tablet sale last Friday (received on Wednesday). We had been talking about getting a tablet. Ipad was ruled out right away because of a)price b)no memory expansion and c)other computing equipment in house is Windows.

Went to BB and looked at Surface and Galaxy and Asus Transformer. Almost bought the surface but didn't like the flat keyboard that came with the bundle. Keyboard with "real" keys was $129 extra.

Almost bought a scratch and denter on BB Auction site and then saw a tablet sale on Woot. Yay Woot! Spent the day researching and decided to get the Asus.

So far:
Battery life is amazing.

Love that I can put up to a 64GB microsd in to expand storage.

Got a nice leather folio cover of at Amazon for under $10 http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411428,00.asp

Keyboard has nice feel and easy to use.

WindowsRT is easy enough to use it's basically Win8. Like that I can set my own icons from webpages (like Woot).

Don't buy this if you are an APP junkie. Disappointment for me was no Plants v. Zombies.

Took me a minute to figure out if I wanted to watch tv shows I had to switch to desktop mode and use explorer.

Can effortlessly access the files on my desktop through wifi and programs with a remote desktop app.

So far extremely happy with this purchase and so is my husband who is much less tech savvy.

Found quite a few youtube videos that were helpful in finding out how to stuff the manual is kind of thin. (79 pages)

Sound is okay, found a cool Pandora like (yup no Pandora) app that I can stream radio stations from all around the world or pick music themed stations.

Office apps work great!! Love that it has those. NOTE: you need to upgrade from preview (definitely hit YouTube for instructions - easy to do with instructions).

The Manual:
http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/ASUS%20TF600T%20Tablet%20Manual.pdf

Comparison of Surface/Asus
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411428,00.asp

anja3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages anja3000

Had one since day 1....

Spent $549 + $99 for it...

Spent $212 on shipping so far, returning it to ASUS 7 times

I'm on my 5th one, hardware wise (this is a refurb on sale here, look for a tiny "N" marked on the hdmi out port on yours if you buy one here, chances are 4 of them are mine :D

These have a HUGE flaw, and ASUS support does NOT know how to fix it... check out the 'transformerforums' for more info, but 99% of these develop "ghost points" where the touchscreen thinks you are touching it when you are not... This renders the whole thing useless for touch AND any other use, because there is NO WAY to disable the touch (if you have the keyboard dock)...

I have tried going to every level of both support and emailing and calling ASUS executives, trying DESPERATELY to even trade my tablet/dock for a generic dual-core laptop, or I have even asked that they just keep it when I send it it, but they keep returning it "fixed".

That's just the hardware, don't get me started on Windows RT (aka Windows Mobile on a bigger screen)...

Any questions, ask away!

And if you get yours and have issues, contact "Tien Phan" at ASUS - he is the service director and will have you send the tablet in without going through customer support, as the TF600T's have been fasttrack-cleared for fixing the crap screens :D

Just letting you know!

OH! and the speed of these is NOT impressive, especially for web browsing videos ;)

GlassJoe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages GlassJoe

cfrahm or anyone else that might chime in...little help.

Okay, so what are the opinions on this tablet for these purposes. I'm a court reporter, and I do a lot of real-time depositions. This means that as we're going, I'm sending a live feed to a computer/tablet sitting in front of one or more of the attorneys (basically closed captioning the questions and answers).

So I used to take three netbooks with me to throw down for RT use. I've recently switched to Nook HD+s since they are 9" (the 7" tablets are just too small....the iPad Mini is right on the edge) and cost $150 new and about 100-120 on CraigsList. I've purchased four so far, and I just purchased an iPad 2 off of CL for a fifth tablet, planning to buy one more iPad 2 so as to have those be my main RT feeds with the four Nooks as backups for bigger jobs.

Now, the software I use to send/receive RT is called LiveDeposition, and it has an Apple app and Android app (and a Kindle app as well now since my original plan was to go with Kindle Fire 8.9" before the Nooks dropped in price, so the guys over at LiveDepo dropped a Kindle app for me).

ANYWAY....sorry about this....when using a netbook, I don't hook up through an app, but through a Website. I enter the IP address (10.10.10 something) and password I assign, and it fires up. It's not a Java program...think it's some sort of Adobe viewing software base. I'm wondering if this thing would be able to pull it up like your standard netbook on XP or Win7 (or Win8).

The reason I want two iPads as my main throwdowns is because of battery life and...well, attorneys just LOVE iPads. The Nooks should get me 6-9 hours, but brightness is the key feature. I figure with this thing, though, I'd never need to plug into a power strip. This has piqued my interest considerably.

So for these purposes, what are the thoughts? Is WinRT a complete deal-breaker? Is there a chance it doesn't work at all? Should I find out exactly what program LiveDepo is using for PC (same one for Macs, I believe, as far as the IP address way to connect)? Should I stop asking questions? Should I stop dreaming that anyone actually trudged through this ridiculously long post?

Sorry.... 8^(

megaskywarp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages megaskywarp
hemholtz wrote:This is a wierd product...it's Windows 8, but it doesn't run regular Windows programs...not sure why it exists?

Does android run Windows programs? This is a parallel to iOS and Android, where-in it runs apps from a store based catalog...and also integrates some things that regular Windows 8 does.

hemholtz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hemholtz
megaskywarp wrote:Does android run Windows programs? This is a parallel to iOS and Android, where-in it runs apps from a store based catalog...and also integrates some things that regular Windows 8 does.

You can't buy a desktop/laptop running iOS or Andriod, your analogy is very poorly thought out.

So back to the original question: why does Windows RT exist? Why would someone buy Windows RT over Windows 8 on a tablet?

hemholtz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hemholtz
zeta30 wrote:I don't understand why people keep knocking the RT for not running full Windows Programs. Do you buy Android tablets then complain that you can only run Android apps and not full blown Android programs? Do you buy iPads and complain that you can't run full blown Apple programs?

If you want to run full blown Windows programs then buy a Surface Pro or a computer. The RT is a tablet and should be compared with other tablets not computers.

I did not knock Windows RT. And as apparently you did not know, Microsoft Surface Pro is a tablet, so a comparison between Surface, Surface RT, ASUS Vivonne RT is valid.

orelove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orelove

Nice hardware but Windows RT (Microsoft OS for non-Intel CPU tablets) looks to be a dead end. Reports of Asus dropping all RT development. THIS IS NOT Windows 8 and will not run native Windows applications, only Windows RT apps.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7213/asus-reports-disappointing-vivotab-rt-sales-stops-making-rt-tablets

rmsalt

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rmsalt
orelove wrote:Nice hardware but Windows RT (Microsoft OS for non-Intel CPU tablets) looks to be a dead end. Reports of Asus dropping all RT development. THIS IS NOT Windows 8 and will not run native Windows applications, only Windows RT apps.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7213/asus-reports-disappointing-vivotab-rt-sales-stops-making-rt-tablets

Wonder if someone will create a hack or latter down the Microsoft develop a patch to upgrade RT to something more closely resembling a full OS? Just thinking out loud.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

@cfrahm, thanks for your detailed experiences.

In other words, this is a poor product choice (even if the main fault is Windows RT) and deserves heavy discounting. Perhaps even heavier discounting.

Its a shame RT support appears to be drying up since this looks like a slick device.

I wonder what ASUS thinks about accepting the M$ to prominently display "ASUS recommends Windows RT" on the product page?

Microsoft's self-flogging makes it hard to feel bad for them. They can't seem to get out of the two product rut (PC Windows & Office).

Two things might have helped their sad state of affairs:
1) Fine, default to the tiles desktop, but also include the ability to turn the Start menu back on in the original release of Windows 8. (not referring to RT)

2) Naming Windows RT something else. Too many buyers were confused, thinking they could run PC programs on Windows RT. They got ticked off and returned their RT tablets in really large numbers.

cfrahm wrote:I own one and I am writing this on one right now. I have been waiting to give a review and here is my chance.

I own several tablets and I am a geek and computer tablet collector.

The Bad.
Windows RT think Windows CE, think PC jr. Almost Windows.

Like IPAD, all programs come from
. . .
[... Thorough relating of experiences edited out to save space...]
. . .

Then of course it has the bipolar Windows 8 experience with two different Internet explorers.

kushkm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kushkm

I have a Surface RT tablet and it has replaced my chromebook. Stop comparing Windows RT tablets to iPads and Windows laptops.

This is a great deal. Battery life is awesome and a good screen. Most people just use facebook and youtube on the couch while watching tv or a quick PDF reader.

hereistandi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hereistandi
walkingdogs wrote:-Bay trail is an x86 processor vs the ARM processor that the tegra 3 is. The difference there is that the ARM processors run Windows RT and all x86 processors runs full Windows 8 which is your traditional desktop/laptop OS.
-Yes, the ports are the same as a standard computer and the built in drivers will work with most peripherals that people are used to plugging into a traditional PC. i.e thumb drives, digital cameras, even printers.
-Factory reconditioned, in most cases is just a tiny notch below new. The warranties are usually not a full one due to them being not new but the product has been returned to as close to new as possible and verified to work by the manufacturer themselves (in this case Asus)
-RT vs Windows 8.1 is this. Windows 8 will run all programs you have been used to using since the beginning of windows in addition to the new start screen and the Windows app store(think touch enabled apps like would be found on an iPad or android tablet). Windows RT is only the start screen and app store with the added inclusion of Office (it's basically MS's tablet OS with some added functionality). The nice thing there is though, if you have a windows 8 computer/laptop and an RT tablet your apps, skydrive data, personalization settings, IE favorites and such sync over using your MS live account so you have everything available to you on the tablet that you would have been using at home.
-A hybrid tends to be the term for describing a laptop form factor that can transform into a tablet form factor whether through being 2 separate pieces, folding back on itself as in the Lenovo yoga or several other form factors being offered by Dell, Sony, Acer or Toshibe. They have all offered their own take on the hybrid form factor whereas this device on sale is a tablet and keyboard.

Hope that explains it.

Thank You so much for your explanations. I was confused by all the terminology and thought I was going to be bothering my brother once again for the answers. My only question left is which kind of tablet to buy if I am used to the Kindle brand but want to draw more meticulously as well as read on it? I would also like to be able to write on it.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
hemholtz wrote:I did not knock Windows RT. And as apparently you did not know, Microsoft Surface Pro is a tablet, so a comparison between Surface, Surface RT, ASUS Vivonne RT is valid.

RT is an attempt for MS to get a foothold into the ARM architecture. It appears that they want to try and make it similar to windows(x86) as much as they can, yet the difference in architecture prohibits conventional software (x86) from working unless it was recompiled for ARM architecture. They are striving to make the desktop/tablet experience as similar as possible. It's a good idea, yet the MS market lags behind on development of apps right now compared to iOS and Android. If MS could ever get conventional programs (x86) to run efficiently on the RT platform, it would switch this from being a potential white elephant to a complete game changer. I think RT is not as bad as some make it out to be, especially if Office is the main reason you use the tablet, and you need hardware support (like a local printer). I do have 2 tablets running Windows 8 (not RT) and the rest of my tablets are Android based. The problem with the windows tablets I have is that they are based on Atom CPUs they are not very powerful and they have a short battery life and lower resolution compared to the Android tablets.

Bottom line is I'm still on the fence about RT, but in certain situations could potentially be more advantageous than either IOS or Android. I think it could be better if MS but more $$ into development.

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt

Personally I'd wait for the new sub $300 Windows 8.1 Pro tablets coming from Dell and Lenovo. Yeah, they'll only have 8" screens, but you'll be able to run any Windows application on them.

zeta30

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zeta30
hemholtz wrote:You can't buy a desktop/laptop running iOS or Andriod, your analogy is very poorly thought out.

So back to the original question: why does Windows RT exist? Why would someone buy Windows RT over Windows 8 on a tablet?

Actually you can run Android and iOS on a computer, if you know how. So your rebuttal is not very well thought out.

powermatt

zeta30 wrote:Actually you can run Android and iOS on a computer, if you know how. So your rebuttal is not very well thought out.

With rather slow developer tools, so it's not exactly practical for the average consumer. Not to mention that the UIs aren't designed for mouse input.

gak0090

powermatt wrote:With rather slow developer tools, so it's not exactly practical for the average consumer. Not to mention that the UIs aren't designed for mouse input.

Bluestacks is an easy way to run your android apps on either a PC or MAC- UI and mouse input are fine.

egoulet8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages egoulet8

A couple questions.

They are touting this for school use?
College? Is this suitable for college?
It has only one usb port in the doc. Can this thing print to any printer?

Starblind

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind
kushkm wrote:
This is a great deal. Battery life is awesome and a good screen. Most people just use facebook and youtube on the couch while watching tv or a quick PDF reader.

But if you have simple needs like Facebook and so on, why not get something like an Asus MEMO Pad or any of a number of solid Android tablets around the $150 point? It's true that you don't need a $600 iPad for Facebook & Angry Birds, but you don't need a $300 RT machine either when others meet those needs at half the price.

TGPhilly666

quality posts: 2 Private Messages TGPhilly666

I'd be all over this if it ran the full version of Windows, but RT? Nope. Far too much existing software that wouldn't work. They really should just stop making RT and focus on full Windows tabs running the Haswell chips. RT is now totally unnecessary.

cfrahm

quality posts: 3 Private Messages cfrahm

cfrahm or anyone else that might chime in...little help.

Okay, so what are the opinions on this tablet for these purposes. I'm a court reporter, and I do a lot of real-time depositions. This means that as we're going, I'm sending a live feed to a computer/tablet sitting in front of one or more of the attorneys (basically closed captioning the questions and answers).

So I used to take three netbooks with me to throw down for RT use. I've recently switched to Nook HD+s since they are 9" (the 7" tablets are just too small....the iPad Mini is right on the edge) and cost $150 new and about 100-120 on CraigsList. I've purchased four so far, and I just purchased an iPad 2 off of CL for a fifth tablet, planning to buy one more iPad 2 so as to have those be my main RT feeds with the four Nooks as backups for bigger jobs.

Now, the software I use to send/receive RT is called LiveDeposition, and it has an Apple app and Android app (and a Kindle app as well now since my original plan was to go with Kindle Fire 8.9" before the Nooks dropped in price, so the guys over at LiveDepo dropped a Kindle app for me).

ANYWAY....sorry about this....when using a netbook, I don't hook up through an app, but through a Website. I enter the IP address (10.10.10 something) and password I assign, and it fires up. It's not a Java program...think it's some sort of Adobe viewing software base. I'm wondering if this thing would be able to pull it up like your standard netbook on XP or Win7 (or Win8).

The reason I want two iPads as my main throwdowns is because of battery life and...well, attorneys just LOVE iPads. The Nooks should get me 6-9 hours, but brightness is the key feature. I figure with this thing, though, I'd never need to plug into a power strip. This has piqued my interest considerably.

So for these purposes, what are the thoughts? Is WinRT a complete deal-breaker? Is there a chance it doesn't work at all? Should I find out exactly what program LiveDepo is using for PC (same one for Macs, I believe, as far as the IP address way to connect)? Should I stop asking questions? Should I stop dreaming that anyone actually trudged through this ridiculously long post?

Sorry.... 8^([/quote]

There is a risk that connecting to the website using Internet Explorer will not work completely right. However, the problem where drop down menus show no items or a graphic does not show is very rare.

I use a regular mouse connected to the usb port. I have tested it with a large blue tooth keyboard and it works well with a full size keyboard. Since you have been using mini notebooks in the past, it would not mean a big adjustment. It comes with one that is better than an Acer One.

In terms of your program, you might want to go to a BB and try an RT tablet there. I believe the issue with websites is not the tablet, but the RT software. One site that does not work for sure is at the Amazon Android App store where you can test drive an app. It does not work on my tablet.

gak0090

TGPhilly666 wrote:I'd be all over this if it ran the full version of Windows, but RT? Nope. Far too much existing software that wouldn't work. They really should just stop making RT and focus on full Windows tabs running the Haswell chips. RT is now totally unnecessary.

Full windows tabs are not energy efficient compared to ARM processors. Haswells or not. The point of a tablet is all in portability. For a "full" windows tablet to have a 10 hour battery life, it would have the weight of a conventional laptop (and not an ultrabook). A Tegra 3 consumes 1-2 watts the lowest output Haswells are 4.5-11 watts depending on load and generally require active cooling which also draws power.

cfrahm

powermatt wrote:Personally I'd wait for the new sub $300 Windows 8.1 Pro tablets coming from Dell and Lenovo. Yeah, they'll only have 8" screens, but you'll be able to run any Windows application on them.

I got an ACER 64 gig 8 inch tablet W3 at Office Depot in that price area. Yes, crappy color, but it runs well. If you look on the box for this 8 inch regular Windows Home 8 tablet you will see glasses in the artwork. You will need them running regular Windows 8 on an 8 inch tablet. The tablet today does get small at times on the desktop page, but it is much better than an 8 inch tablet. Its graphics are good, and some of the few games have unbelievable graphics and smooth game play. There just are not that many. Even better than some of the IPAD 3+ games.

cfrahm

gak0090 wrote:Full windows tabs are not energy efficient compared to ARM processors. Haswells or not. The point of a tablet is all in portability. For a "full" windows tablet to have a 10 hour battery life, it would have the weight of a conventional laptop (and not an ultrabook). A Tegra 3 consumes 1-2 watts the lowest output Haswells are 4.5-11 watts depending on load and generally require active cooling which also draws power.

Note the non RT Microsoft Surface Pro running regular Windows 8 has a fan and it can get noisy at times. Note: the asus listed here does not have a fan.

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple

I don't think there is anything wrong with Windows RT itself.

1) Microsoft was getting killed in the laptop/desktop business due to tablet popularity. They had to get into the tablet (and phone) market or become an also-ran.

2) iOS & Android were already solidly established, making for a tough market to penetrate.

3) By naming Windows RT so close to their PC Windows they confused consumers. And they did a really poor job differentiating the two. They spent a ton of money 'clicking' but missed the point. Anyone can do hardware. They had a big integration-with-your-Windows-laptop/desktop while growing their cloud integration benefit and blew it.

4) And at the same time trying to move the PC Windows 8 toward tablets (the tile-touch interface) was a death-move. Kill your cash cow and tick off your Windows hardware partners at the same time. Brilliant.

5) Microsoft cannot afford to give up on the tablet market. They have to buy their way in. Relaunch RT with a new name and maintain legacy RT hardware compatibility so they don't tick off the loyalists. More 3rd party software developer profit & marketing support (bribes). Heavy hardware subsidies.

Love or hate Apple - they have been smarter about establishing the mobile OS independently while gradually adding similar features to their laptop OS.

Android has the luxury of not having to defend a traditional laptop/desktop OS business.

Perhaps increasingly powerful mobile processors will render all this full-function vs. mobile-function stuff moot. Or Woot?

...off philosophical horse... GO BLUE!

powermatt

gak0090 wrote:Full windows tabs are not energy efficient compared to ARM processors. Haswells or not. The point of a tablet is all in portability. For a "full" windows tablet to have a 10 hour battery life, it would have the weight of a conventional laptop (and not an ultrabook). A Tegra 3 consumes 1-2 watts the lowest output Haswells are 4.5-11 watts depending on load and generally require active cooling which also draws power.

Intel's new Z-series Atoms are pushing 8+ hours of battery life on the new Windows 8.1 tablets that are coming out. Intel has definitely struggled to hit that mark, but the latest Atoms are no joke.

But yes, Core series CPUs in a tablet are rather silly. At most there's a niche market for them, but for most people it's pointless.

peaceonearth11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages peaceonearth11
peaceonearth11 wrote:How would this compare to a low-end ($300) laptop for yer basic internet stuff? I looked at this Windows RT 8.1 review and it looks kind of acceptable?

Based on reviews elsewhere and in this thread, I'm thinking this is not a good purchase for almost anyone. Above and beyond the design errors in Windows 8, RT has all kinds of special problems all its own.

shahmat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shahmat
sdc100 wrote:That's never been made clear by Microsoft. When asked what RT meant, the company refused to give an answer. Many people believe that it may be related to Windows Runtime, but why would anyone want to name an operating system after that?

According to some comments made anonymously by someone within Microsoft's Servers and Tools division (said comments were denied strenuously later by Marketing), the RT does stand for Windows Runtime. It's supposed to be an indicator that only applications developed for the Windows Runtime API (i.e. native Windows 8 program hooks) can run on it, while full Windows 8 can run RT and traditional Win32/Win64 applications. Unfortunately MS got the message wrong, and while all us programmers said "that's brilliant, I can write one app and run it on both x86 and ARM!" nobody else seemed to understand or care about the difference.

kcartwright

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kcartwright

Windows RT is losing support, so I can't say I'd recommend buying it, but I really like my Surface RT.

I saw a comment about not being able to join a network, and while you can't join it to a domain, you can connect to network resources with it. I have been able to use standard UNC paths to connect to network shares and copy files.

The desktop of RT is like having a mini PC that allows for file management, including the network connections, which I find very handy. The USB port is nice too, and again, when using flash drives and the like, the file management is very useful. But USB mice work well too, which can make using it like a PC with the included Office apps easier.

bklamber5

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bklamber5
rmsalt wrote:Wonder if someone will create a hack or latter down the Microsoft develop a patch to upgrade RT to something more closely resembling a full OS? Just thinking out loud.

Doubt it. RT was made for ARM while 8 runs on Intel. Completely different architectures, and Windows did not help itself by catering to both.

It's not like RT is 8 with features disabled. Microsoft basically came out with it's own half-hearted version of IOS or Android

wootlogan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootlogan
wcash wrote:Is this tablet very similar to the Microsoft Surface RT?

In a word, yes. In more words than that, not quite. See my upcoming general post for feedback from a consumer standpoint.

wootlogan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootlogan

I own this tablet and have these thoughts to share:

Just because your VivoTab RT has a USB port, do NOT expect to go plugging things in all willy-nilly as I did. Windows RT DOES NOT SUPPORT DVD OR BLU-RAY PLAYBACK. YOU CAN NOT WATCH DVDs FROM AN EXTERNAL DRIVE VIA THE USB PORT. Please re-read the prior statement and then consider that if one wanted to use the tablet as a portable moving viewing device in ANY capacity, whatever movie you want to watch needs to first be converted to an RT friendly file and then saved to the device or some other form of portable media. Parents, this is NOT the tablet to bring with on road trips with the tots unless you have the time to invest in converting your entire Disney DVD library to sub HD quality.

Functionality of Windows RT is fluid, but sadly difficult to do any tech-level management on. I have owned this thing for more than a year and still have to hunt forums for obscure fixes to silly issues and directions on how to traverse the settings options on this thing. Windows RT is a dead-end OS with a continuous learning curve for making it do what one would expect "windows" to do.

The Windows app Market is continually lacking in apps that seem to do anything to make the RT experience very "consumer approachable". It does have a bunch of "fun" apps and games to distract you from the fact that you are trying to find a reason to like this thing. It also pairs with your Microsoft X-Box via Microsoft Glass but I cannot speak to that as I have no experience with it.

The keyboard on the RT IS a definite "win". Its solid feel and tactile buttons paired with the extra battery give the VivoTab RT a netbook feel and a traveling lifespan that doesn't quit.

I keep waiting searching the forums and for someone to find a way to get the system cracked so I can get android installed on it and stop expecting Windows RT to all of a sudden "get good".

In conclusion, despite all of the BAD stuff i just wrote, I LOVE the hardware and the potential that it inherently has. I give full credit to ASUS for putting together a piece of technology that feels well built and makes the best of a really crappy OS. I can see this tablet well served in a small niche of the consumer market; both students using the tablet for data collection or note taking either in the field or in the classroom with the added option to upload to the cloud and function minimally in office programs on the fly as well as business-minded individuals who would like a light, FAST, demi-fully-functional, convertible pseudo-laptop-tablet that never gets hot and runs forever would both be good candidates for this device provided they understand its limitations before they buy it.

But hey, decide for yourself...

kcartwright

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kcartwright
wootlogan wrote:I own this tablet and have these thoughts to share:

Just because your VivoTab RT has a USB port, do NOT expect to go plugging things in all willy-nilly as I did. Windows RT DOES NOT SUPPORT DVD OR BLU-RAY PLAYBACK. YOU CAN NOT WATCH DVDs FROM AN EXTERNAL DRIVE VIA THE USB PORT. Please re-read the prior statement and then consider that if one wanted to use the tablet as a portable moving viewing device in ANY capacity, whatever movie you want to watch needs to first be converted to an RT friendly file and then saved to the device or some other form of portable media. Parents, this is NOT the tablet to bring with on road trips with the tots unless you have the time to invest in converting your entire Disney DVD library to sub HD quality.

As far as I know, that's the case with most tablets, other than possibly Windows 8 tablets (which in many ways aren't really in the same category as most other tablets,as they're not ARM based).

So if plugging in a DVD drive to a USB port and playing movies was something someone wanted to do, they should also not get an iPad or Android tablet.

leftnotracks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leftnotracks

Great name. It just rolls off the tongue, spills on the carpet, and leaves a stain that you know will never come out.

Starblind

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind

I hate to say I told ya so, but it looks like the end is near... Windows RT is being merged into Windows Phone.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/10/windows-phone-and-windows-rt-to-merge-over-two-years-rumor/?utm_source=mainrss

It's going to happen gradually over 2 years, and the RT tablets won't be unusable, but there will be little or no 3rd-party app & game developer interest as things wind down, and these things aren't really hackable so don't expect to be able to install Linux or Android on them.

kongfucius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kongfucius

Bought this one and received it yest night. Tried the wifi several different places and it does not work. Trying to return it. contacted cust serv .waiting for them to get back to me.

JMillican

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JMillican

This is directed to staff:
Ordered 2 for Christmas presents and only received one....do not know if will be shipped separate or not but has been 3 days since received the only one I got.
Can anyone check or get me some where to check on this.
Have had this happen before but then got an email telling us it was in 2 shipments.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

JMillican wrote:This is directed to staff:
Ordered 2 for Christmas presents and only received one....do not know if will be shipped separate or not but has been 3 days since received the only one I got.
Can anyone check or get me some where to check on this.
Have had this happen before but then got an email telling us it was in 2 shipments.

Sorry for the late reply.
I've forwarded your post along to Woot Member Services to see if I can find you an answer.

I would recommend though, that you email into support@woot.com and let them know you haven't seen an update yet. They should be able to answer any questions or concerns you have about your order.

EDIT: Woot Member Services has sent an email to your email address. Please check the spam folder as sometimes their responses get filtered there.

cdaet13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cdaet13

Just received mine a week or so ago and I've slowly realized how much I dislike the charging cable. It's insanely short for what I'm used to. I can't seem to find a proper USB cable for it on amazon and it's out of stock on the asus website. Can anyone point me in the right direction for just the USB?

Thanks!