WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Simple.TV: The Ultimate DVR

Speed to First Woot:
4m 26.880s
First Sucker:
CDubbs684
Last Wooter to Woot:
kjmartin08
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 45% of Woot.com Woots
Top 22% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 9% of Woot.com Woots
Top 5% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 14% first woot
  • 9% second woot
  • 28% < 10 woots
  • 22% < 25 woots
  • 28% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 7% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 2% one month old
  • 13% one year old
  • 76% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 95% bought 1
  • 4% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

3%
2%
2%
2%
1%
1%
3%
6%
6%
8%
6%
5%
4%
4%
5%
4%
3%
3%
4%
4%
5%
6%
6%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 3182 Private Messages lichme

Item: Simple.TV: The Ultimate DVR
Price: $99.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

lichme


quality posts: 3182 Private Messages lichme

Lots of comments from this Previous Sale
Engadget review: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/03/simple-tv-review/
CNet review/Tivo comparison

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

mikeeyram


quality posts: 6 Private Messages mikeeyram

So if I have a NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS 314) will this work?

crater


quality posts: 0 Private Messages crater

Eh, I'll stick with my HdHomeRun Prime + Mythtv.

jkmahan


quality posts: 9 Private Messages jkmahan

These don't support CableCards so it isn't very useful for Comcast customers.

roseangelo


quality posts: 5 Private Messages roseangelo

Ok, I've never had a DVR in my life and although I am generally tech-savvy, when it comes to these things I am completely clueless.

I don't have cable, just an OTA antenna. I have no desire to watch TV on my iPad or iPhone. BUT, it would be nice to be able to pause TV and/or occasionally record things. This seems like a good deal for my needs - is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this?

luke975


quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
roseangelo wrote:Ok, I've never had a DVR in my life and although I am generally tech-savvy, when it comes to these things I am completely clueless.

I don't have cable, just an OTA antenna. I have no desire to watch TV on my iPad or iPhone. BUT, it would be nice to be able to pause TV and/or occasionally record things. This seems like a good deal for my needs - is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this?



this shold work in your situation.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

roseangelo


quality posts: 5 Private Messages roseangelo
luke975 wrote:this shold work in your situation.



Ok, next question. To be able to actually use this with my TV, I also need a Roku? I've read up on this before and I always got so confused about how it works.

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's check out the product page and FAQ

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to watch a review

dvdvija


quality posts: 4 Private Messages dvdvija

What is TV premier lifetime woot is offering with simple tv device ???

aftab7000


quality posts: 5 Private Messages aftab7000

After purchase from woot, how do we get the activation code for the lifetime subscription ? i.e. from woot or from simple.tv ?

powermatt


quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt
crater wrote:Eh, I'll stick with my HdHomeRun Prime + Mythtv.



So I take it you're only recording clear QAM channels? Not close enough to a city to pick up free broadcast channels?

This seems like it would be a good option for anyone living in or close to a big city with several ATSC broadcast TV channels. You'd get all the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) and maybe a PBS or two.

dlcarrier


quality posts: 7 Private Messages dlcarrier

Judging from the feature requests page, it is still pretty rough around the corners. They are also releasing a new one soon, so I wouldn't get my hopes up that they would add any new features.

Jester747


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jester747

While I'd love to get out of my Tivo subscription (I'm quite happy with the Tivo device itself even after coming from an elaborate MythTV setup) but this SimpleTV unit only has one OTA tuner, which means you can only record one program at a time.
On MythTV I used to have 4 tuners, though I rarely used all of them, but only have 2 with Tivo which get used simultaneaously quite often. One tuner would simply not work for my family.
Just read the post above... looks like the next version will have a 2nd tuner.
No, there's probably not going to be any way to make the 1st version have a 2nd one also, this isn;t just a software difference, it would require extra internal hardware components.

theinfamousj


quality posts: 1 Private Messages theinfamousj

I was initially very intrigued, until I realized that I have a VCR lying around that does what this does without need of Internet or an external hard drive. I can watch playback without fear of packet loss due to WiFi, and since I know how to program my VCR then I can record more than just live TV.

If you have a thrift store in your area, I recommend checking out the old technology that does just what this does (down to the lack of HDMI port). I got my VCR for $5. That is an $95 savings over this small white box of a video recorder.

grimmwerks


quality posts: 0 Private Messages grimmwerks
Jester747 wrote:While I'd love to get out of my Tivo subscription (I'm quite happy with the Tivo device itself even after coming from an elaborate MythTV setup) but this SimpleTV unit only has one OTA tuner, which means you can only record one program at a time.
On MythTV I used to have 4 tuners, though I rarely used all of them, but only have 2 with Tivo which get used simultaneaously quite often. One tuner would simply not work for my family.
Just read the post above... looks like the next version will have a 2nd tuner.
No, there's probably not going to be any way to make the 1st version have a 2nd one also, this isn;t just a software difference, it would require extra internal hardware components.



I'm curious; I've actually been given two tivo dvrs; I'm using comcast right now - which is a huge bill. If I flipped to Tivo do I save money, am able to see things like HBO, sprout, cartoon network etc?

kilomon


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kilomon

Check with your cable provider if they are going to start encrypting basic cable channels. Comcast and MediaCom started this last week in my area which means Clear QAM is no longer an option. I'm still able to use my antenna however.

kermur


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kermur
theinfamousj wrote:I was initially very intrigued, until I realized that I have a VCR lying around that does what this does without need of Internet or an external hard drive. I can watch playback without fear of packet loss due to WiFi, and since I know how to program my VCR then I can record more than just live TV.

If you have a thrift store in your area, I recommend checking out the old technology that does just what this does (down to the lack of HDMI port). I got my VCR for $5. That is an $95 savings over this small white box of a video recorder.




Uh, what? Your VCR records at 1080 and wide screen? Your VCR then streams to your network? Your post contributes nothing.

Oh, and you won't have to fear "packet loss? " Lol. Yeh, just 90% loss of fidelity.

id6klub


quality posts: 3 Private Messages id6klub
roseangelo wrote:Ok, next question. To be able to actually use this with my TV, I also need a Roku? I've read up on this before and I always got so confused about how it works.



It looks to be that you should only get this if you intend on having a PC hooked up to your TV, use your PC/laptop AS your TV (in this case, you, likely, already have PVR capabilities) or, like you said, you use a Roku as the conduit for your TV. The ability to "talk" to this with mobile devices such as iOS devices is a bonus.

For all intents and purposes, if you want to just add in a DVR for your TV and want to keep it as a "traditional" TV & remote type of setup, this is probably NOT for you, as this is more of a network add-on. For those with HTPC setups who have already cut the cord or are looking to cut the cord, this is a decent option. I am looking into an inexpensive solution for my office where I only get OTA channels on a little LCD TV (hooked up to a small HTPC box with movies & TV shows) and an amplified antenna by my window where I currently only watch what is on live. I do already have a very nice USB stick Clear QAM tuner with viewing/PVR software, but, instead of having to utilize my HTPC's processor to capture shows and store them, I can purchase this and allow it to be a standalone device that serves my network. It can then handle all of the capturing, storing and management of content so that all I have to to is pop open the web interface and pick what I want to view (either live or something I have previously recorded). It also opens the door of options to allow visitors to hop on and view the same captured shows and/or push the content to future TVs, PCs and other compatible devices inside my LAN.

I am not sure about its functionality fully yet, but I am wondering if this would work well with Chromecast. If it did, you could then use your existing PC's Chrome browser and a $35 Chromecast to push content to your HDTV. Though Roku 2 units can be had for about $5-10 more, it would take a lot longer to fire up a Roku if this is all you were going to use it for...and, either way, according to the video hands-on review posted above, the browser experience looks to be superior to the Roku channel.

Me typing this has caused me to decisively go weapons hot on taking a chance on one of these since I already have a 2TB external HDD sitting around begging for utilization (oh yeah, you will need to have one of these laying around if you don't want to feel as if you are throwing more money at the situation).

Speaking of the hard drive...

theinfamousj wrote:I was initially very intrigued, until I realized that I have a VCR lying around that does what this does without need of Internet or an external hard drive. I can watch playback without fear of packet loss due to WiFi, and since I know how to program my VCR then I can record more than just live TV.

If you have a thrift store in your area, I recommend checking out the old technology that does just what this does (down to the lack of HDMI port). I got my VCR for $5. That is an $95 savings over this small white box of a video recorder.



I hope that you are not serious with that...there is no way that you can be serious with that comment. With regard to HD content, you will have nearly unwatchable recordings and then have to deal with shelves and shelves of tapes. With the "best" quality of recording, you will only get 2 hours per tape (like 2-4 shows)...ok, ok, I am going to stop because that cannot be serious. //end of being Rick Rolled//

ivioo


quality posts: 6 Private Messages ivioo

Some Tivos have the cablecard slot, those can record all of the cable channels. If it doesn't have the cablecard then you will only get ABC, CBS, NBC, etc


grimmwerks wrote:I'm curious; I've actually been given two tivo dvrs; I'm using comcast right now - which is a huge bill. If I flipped to Tivo do I save money, am able to see things like HBO, sprout, cartoon network etc?



Shut up and take my money...again

id6klub


quality posts: 3 Private Messages id6klub
grimmwerks wrote:I'm curious; I've actually been given two tivo dvrs; I'm using comcast right now - which is a huge bill. If I flipped to Tivo so I save money, am able to see things like HBO, sprout, cartoon network etc?



You will only pull what comes through Clear QAM. Almost certainly NO on the HBO, but Cartoon Network may come in depending on your provider. This consensus is Comcast is not one of those providers (settop box/cablecard needed due to encryption), though YMMV. You should check if one of the TVs in your home has a Clear QAM tuner and then plug in the raw cable from your wall outlet into the tuner of your TV and let it scan the available channels. Whatever channels your TV pulls into its lineup is what this device will, likely, see.

EddieAngel333


quality posts: 0 Private Messages EddieAngel333

WARNING BEWARE I PURCHASED THIS AT THE LAST WOOT OFF AND IT HAS YET TO SHIP ! NO TRACKING NUMBER NOTHING !
I WAS JUST TOLD TO SIT TIGHT !
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP !
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOT RECEIVED THEIRS YET ?
STUFF I BOUGHT AFTER THE WOOT OFF HAS ALREADY SHIPPED !
BOUGHT ON SEPTEMBER 26 !
YOU HAVE BALLS PUTTING IT UP FOR SALE WHEN YOU CANT EVEN FILL ORDERS FROM LAST MONTH !
IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM DON'T SELL THEM !


[MOD: FedEx Track by Reference is now working. All orders shipped Friday 10/4. Click here for more info.]

ivioo


quality posts: 6 Private Messages ivioo

I'm guessing this will not stream to a PS3??? So I'd have to get the Roku thing for my TV?

$100 for this device
$100 for USB HDD
$100 for a STB device (Roku)
-----------------------
$300 just to have a DVR for 1 TV

Shut up and take my money...again

jeezmos


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeezmos

I was hoping to use this on my Sony nsz-gs7 Google TV. Alas, it is not supported:

https://twitter.com/simpletv/status/384018702691090433

id6klub


quality posts: 3 Private Messages id6klub
EddieAngel333 wrote:WARNING BEWARE I PURCHASED THIS AT THE LAST WOOT OFF AND IT HAS YET TO SHIP ! NO TRACKING NUMBER NOTHING !
I WAS JUST TOLD TO SIT TIGHT !
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP !
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOT RECEIVED THEIRS YET ?
STUFF I BOUGHT AFTER THE WOOT OFF HAS ALREADY SHIPPED !
BOUGHT ON SEPTEMBER 26 !
YOU HAVE BALLS PUTTING IT UP FOR SALE WHEN YOU CANT EVEN FILL ORDERS FROM LAST MONTH !
IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM DON'T SELL THEM !



Well, this one is shipping in "3-5 business days" which should mean about a week. Most of the stuff I woot shows "1-2 business days" so this means it will be a little longer than that. Either way, it is waaay better than waiting on 1Sale/1SaleADay to ship something in a MONTH...oh wait, I meant send a tracking number in a month and THEN waiting another week for the shipment to start moving.

Have patience or just ask to double check.

steveb944


quality posts: 11 Private Messages steveb944

I was ready to buy this up until I found out I hate Comcast even more now for their encryption.

I'd love it for football at least, but I don't think it's a good investment especially if they decide to not show my team a dozen states away over the home team on my antenna channels.

patnugent


quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
jeezmos wrote:I was hoping to use this on my Sony nsz-gs7 Google TV. Alas, it is not supported:

https://twitter.com/simpletv/status/384018702691090433



Android tablet coming up in November, we'll see about Google TV a little afterwards. (not that this is a solution, just sharing what I have)

- Patrick @ Simple.TV

patnugent


quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
aftab7000 wrote:After purchase from woot, how do we get the activation code for the lifetime subscription ? i.e. from woot or from simple.tv ?



If I recall correctly the activation code you'll need during setup will be on a sticker inside the first page of the getting started guide. It's also worth noting that the lifetime subscription applies to multiple devices and future devices (ie if you buy another one or a new model a year down the road)

- Patrick @ Simple.TV

Carnivore


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Carnivore

I assume the "lifetime subscription" means the device will work for the lifetime of the company so it can phone home...however much longer that may be.

patnugent


quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
EddieAngel333 wrote:WARNING BEWARE I PURCHASED THIS AT THE LAST WOOT OFF AND IT HAS YET TO SHIP ! NO TRACKING NUMBER NOTHING !
I WAS JUST TOLD TO SIT TIGHT !!



This sounds a bit odd, perhaps something billing related? (I’m just guessing).

If you want to shoot me an email patrick at simple dot tv I’ll make sure you’re taken care of and I can figure out what's gone wrong. This absolutely isn't normal.

Sorry! Patrick @ Simple.TV

id6klub


quality posts: 3 Private Messages id6klub
steveb944 wrote:I was ready to buy this up until I found out I hate Comcast even more now for their encryption.

I'd love it for football at least, but I don't think it's a good investment especially if they decide to not show my team a dozen states away over the home team on my antenna channels.



Theoretically, if you have a friend or family member (or a place of your own) back in the state where the team is located, you could purchase this and have THEM install and set this up at their house with their web & rabbit ears (local broadcast of that team weekly unless they are on NFL Network TNF or ESPN MNF that week) and then you can tap into it to view the content from wherever. I am not sure about live video remotely, but, hey, it is a starting thought lol.

patnugent


quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
id6klub wrote:Theoretically, if you have a friend or family member (or a place of your own) back in the state where the team is located, you could purchase this and have THEM install and set this up at their house with their web & rabbit ears (local broadcast of that team weekly unless they are on NFL Network TNF or ESPN MNF that week) and then you can tap into it to view the content from wherever. I am not sure about live video remotely, but, hey, it is a starting thought lol.



The bonus of the Premier subscription is that remote viewing is included (web/ipad/etc).

id6klub


quality posts: 3 Private Messages id6klub
patnugent wrote:Android tablet coming up in November, Google TV a little afterwards. ;)

- Patrick @ Simple.TV



Is Android support applicable to this first gen device as well or only the 2.0 black box that you announced at the beginning of Sept?

id6klub


quality posts: 3 Private Messages id6klub
patnugent wrote:The bonus of the Premier subscription is that remote viewing is included (web/ipad/etc).



Remote viewing of LIVE TV as well as recordings? My assumption is recordings but would hope Live TV as well.

EddieAngel333


quality posts: 0 Private Messages EddieAngel333
patnugent wrote:This sounds a bit odd, perhaps something billing related? (I’m just guessing).

If you want to shoot me an email patrick at simple dot tv I’ll make sure you’re taken care of and I can figure out what's gone wrong. This absolutely isn't normal.

Sorry! Patrick @ Simple.TV



going to send it now Pat !
Thanks

patnugent


quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
id6klub wrote:Is Android support applicable to this first gen device as well or only the 2.0 black box that you announced at the beginning of Sept?



Everything that doesn't require hardware changes is also applicable to the white box, this includes upcoming MP-4 downloads via web for sideloading, direct tablet downloads on Android/iOS (with new clients), Chromecast support, etc.

And the lifetime premier subscription included with this purchase is also applicable to future models (you'll be able to add more than one Simple.TV to an account later this year and the subscription will apply to all of them)

patnugent


quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
EddieAngel333 wrote:going to send it now Pat !
Thanks



I promise to hit whomever is responsible over the head with a whiffle bat. ;)

(I'm keeping an eye out for your email, haven't seen it yet)

patnugent


quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
roseangelo wrote:Ok, next question. To be able to actually use this with my TV, I also need a Roku? I've read up on this before and I always got so confused about how it works.



To watch live and recorded content you have a few options:

- iPad as you know (or iPhone via Safari)
- Android later this year
- Roku (install the Simple.TV channel)

We'll also have Chromecast support along with some goodies like push to XBox 360 and Xbox One (and PS4 if it supports DLNA DMR aka "Play To").