WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Gear Up For The Battlefield

Battlefield 4 comes out on the 29th -- are you ready? Hey -- hey -- over here. We're trying to ask you something. Stop playing GTA for just one second so we can talk to you about this other awesome sequel that's about to come out. Ahhhhh forget it.

Quality Posts

parkway03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parkway03

Yay was waiting for a blackwidow

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

parkway03 wrote:Yay was waiting for a blackwidow

k3nd0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages k3nd0

If you're curious what switches the BlackWidow comes with, here's an FAQ.

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234

Refurbished headphones, hm.

lovelybees

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lovelybees

Been looking for a deal on a monitor for a while, realized Amazon had an identical refurb, for a much better price.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2750HM-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B007HSKSP0

edit: jk its not identical. Just the same size.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

How are the prices on PC?

Suck it, Trebek.

benq

quality posts: 3 Private Messages benq
lovelybees wrote:Been looking for a deal on a monitor for a while, realized Amazon had an identical refurb, for a much better price.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2750HM-27-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B007HSKSP0

edit: jk its not identical. Just the same size.

There is quite a bit of difference between the GW monitor (which we love) and the gaming monitors on the sale. Besides the speed of the monitors, and lower lag time - there are also other features such as BlackEqualizer that enables you to see better in dark areas of the map - and the scaling functions that the pro's like where you can reduce the image size on the screen during competition (less time to look from one side to the other). There are other features as well - but you can look those up or check out the gamer blogs.

SerialBeggar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SerialBeggar
benq wrote:and the scaling functions that the pro's like where you can reduce the image size on the screen during competition (less time to look from one side to the other).

What's the point of having a big monitor if you're just going to make the game window small again?

benq

SerialBeggar wrote:What's the point of having a big monitor if you're just going to make the game window small again?

Good Question. It turns out that for the guys who do compete on games a living, they practice on the larger screen sizes to get familiar with the map details, and then compete on the smaller size since they know the maps inside and out. They claim they can "see more" on the smaller screen. Rather than make a bunch of different screen sizes to fit all the different pro's - we added a high end scaler to provide pixel lever accuracy no matter what the screen size. That way the pro's can scale it to whatever size they play on without having to change monitors. I didn't believe the story until I was at one of the big ESEA and MLG tournaments and talked to the winners, who said it was one of the features they really liked. Most people never use the feature (or practice gaming for over six hours per day) - but for those who are at that level - they love it.

DanTycoon9900

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DanTycoon9900
ghostofdavid wrote:How are the prices on PC?

From the previous iBUYPOWER sale on Woot 2 weeks ago, I think the consensus was that the prices for the PC's are very close to what you would pay if you bought the parts and built it yourself.

kolme

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kolme
DanTycoon9900 wrote:From the previous iBUYPOWER sale on Woot 2 weeks ago, I think the consensus was that the prices for the PC's are very close to what you would pay if you bought the parts and built it yourself.

In the past I have calculated it out and they do line up fairly close with the prices of the parts themselves.

For instance, the I5 computer in this sell costs $1000 here. When making the same computer on PCpartpicker.com, the total comes out to around $1080 after rebates.

For a comparison, please see the top link for the I5 in this sell, and the PCpartpicker build which should be close in comparison. (parts which were not found via pcpartpicker or were not named were replaced with similar parts at similar prices - applies for the Mouse, CPU, memory (HDD/RAM), PSU, and wireless card).

Woot's deal: http://www.woot.com/offers/ibuypower-i5-haswell-desktop-w-free-game

PCpartpicker comparable build
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kolme/saved/2xwd

Therefore the prices are pretty good on these computers (atleast for the one I posted). My only complaint is that you cannot customize it better to your personal needs. Still the posted computer is a great all around build and if I wasnt such a poor med student I would be interested. (although that is one very pricey SSD at 200, you can get a 120gb for 100 which is what I suspect they paid).

Kolme

patchrowcester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patchrowcester

What are your thoughts on the Gunnar glasses? Think they are worth it?

merrillian

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merrillian

If you have a glossy screen the gunnar glasses might be worth it.

The Tiamat headphones are the most comfortable pair I've worn. They sound good as well, but I mean... there for low quality voice coms.

stinawargo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages stinawargo

I've got the Gunnar glasses and I love them. There are many independent reviews out there (just do a google search) and they all say that the glasses are worth the buy--IF you already have issues with headaches/burney eyes/dryness etc. If your eyes are perfectly fine, not worth the money. If you have issues, yes worth the money.

As for the Razer Anansi & the Nostromo, I'm using both right now for WoW raiding (both purchased as refurbs through Woot, in fact). The keyboard is pretty sweet. I really like the feel of it; I know it's not mechanical, but it feels like one, all nice and clicky. High quality. The Nostromo takes some time to get used to. In the end, I had to draw a map to show which numbers on the cast bar were assigned to which key. The learning curve is bigger than with, say, a Steelseries MercStealth keyboard, but the software support is so much better from Razer. I've only tried out one macro on the Nostromo, but it works just fine.

Finally, the Razer synapse 2.0 software is niiiiiiiiice. It's really easy to use and intuitive, and you don't need any manuals to figure it out and get going right away. Lovely. I recommend all three.

danielvutran

quality posts: 16 Private Messages danielvutran
benq wrote:Good Question. It turns out that for the guys who do compete on games a living, they practice on the larger screen sizes to get familiar with the map details, and then compete on the smaller size since they know the maps inside and out. They claim they can "see more" on the smaller screen. Rather than make a bunch of different screen sizes to fit all the different pro's - we added a high end scaler to provide pixel lever accuracy no matter what the screen size. That way the pro's can scale it to whatever size they play on without having to change monitors. I didn't believe the story until I was at one of the big ESEA and MLG tournaments and talked to the winners, who said it was one of the features they really liked. Most people never use the feature (or practice gaming for over six hours per day) - but for those who are at that level - they love it.

Love YOU bro. Thanks for the helpful story / explanation! ^_^ yeah people esp. love Benq in the CS 1.6 community!

yes it's me lol

freeweezyy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages freeweezyy
kolme wrote:In the past I have calculated it out and they do line up fairly close with the prices of the parts themselves.

For instance, the I5 computer in this sell costs $1000 here. When making the same computer on PCpartpicker.com, the total comes out to around $1080 after rebates.

For a comparison, please see the top link for the I5 in this sell, and the PCpartpicker build which should be close in comparison. (parts which were not found via pcpartpicker or were not named were replaced with similar parts at similar prices - applies for the Mouse, CPU, memory (HDD/RAM), PSU, and wireless card).

Woot's deal: http://www.woot.com/offers/ibuypower-i5-haswell-desktop-w-free-game

PCpartpicker comparable build
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kolme/saved/2xwd

Therefore the prices are pretty good on these computers (atleast for the one I posted). My only complaint is that you cannot customize it better to your personal needs. Still the posted computer is a great all around build and if I wasnt such a poor med student I would be interested. (although that is one very pricey SSD at 200, you can get a 120gb for 100 which is what I suspect they paid).

Kolme

I'd go with something like this over both.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1MEnA

Overclockable CPU and better GPU. Win8 is also a better OS, and there's a guy on reddit that sells legitimate Win8 keys for ~$40.

Steelwells

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Steelwells

This might go without saying, based on earlier posts, but iBuyPower rigs seem to offer an incredible value.

I've been following MaximumPC for 10 years or more and have a real trust for the writers there. When reviewing the iBuyPower Erebus (which admittedly is not one of the systems on sale here but bear with me), Gordon Mah Ung said the following:

"We used to say that iBuypower should really be named iStealpower, because we’ve never understood how the company can sell such well-configured systems for such low prices."

(the review is here: http://goo.gl/ytddAs)

Tie that in with a 9.2 rating on Reseller Ratings (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/iBUYPOWER) and you get the picture.

It's very hard to get a system of the caliber that they are building at the price, and when you throw a warranty on top of that, it really creates a excellent value. I have not yet purchased a PC from them, but I think that I will be when I am ready for my next upgrade. At minimum, it will make a good base to start if I determine I need a specific part or two to "make it mine".

So if value for your money is a big consideration, I say pull the trigger!

chrisjtom

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chrisjtom

I have been reviewing computer gaming hardware since 98, I worked at Dell in the late 90s, and I build custom gaming PCs and unlike the Ibuypowers, I don't use the cheapest case, power supply, and motherboard available. I cringe every time someone brings in an iBuypower, or Alienware, and tell them sorry they had to put up with that piece of overpriced crap for so long. Do yourself a favor, and build your own box, or find a local gaming PC builder who will actually care about you as a customer.

benq

For those who are wondering what the difference is between the two BenQ 120Hz monitors, the answer is pretty simple.

The two monitors share the same panel, with the more expensive one being specifically designed for Nvidia 3D gaming, while the other is Nvidia 3D compatible. The TX actually has the emitter built into the monitor and will play 3D on any console or PC just by plugging into the HDMI port. The less expensive "T" version will support a external emitter, but is designed around the CS and other high speed platforms where most of the pro's play and practice in 2D. Bottom line - if you want to play wearing glasses and getting the full NVidia effect without extra hardware, the TX version is the one you want. If you are CS player or rarely play with glasses - you want the T. Hope that helps!

TheRaven

quality posts: 10 Private Messages TheRaven
chrisjtom wrote:I have been reviewing computer gaming hardware since 98, I worked at Dell in the late 90s, and I build custom gaming PCs and unlike the Ibuypowers, I don't use the cheapest case, power supply, and motherboard available. I cringe every time someone brings in an iBuypower, or Alienware, and tell them sorry they had to put up with that piece of overpriced crap for so long. Do yourself a favor, and build your own box, or find a local gaming PC builder who will actually care about you as a customer.

Fine then. Tell me how you're going to build me a Alienware X51 R2 Haswell Core i7 4770 with GTX 670 GPU?

You can't because it's a custom SFF case.

When it comes to very small form factor builds with no noise and no overheating and high performance, you don't have a lot of choices unless you're going to design your own case and manufacture it yourself.

I purchased the Alienware X51 R2 for my home theater (Windows Media Center) and games (Steam, Origin, etc.). I wanted a small form factor, high-performance PC to fit in my home theater environment. It's only slightly bigger than a Xbox360 or PS3. The power supply is an external brick. It makes no noise at all which is important for a home theater environment.

Even with Micro ATX or the Mini ITX boards and cases you don't come up with something as elegant as the X51.

So, I suggest you cool it with the "overpriced crap" comments.

Oh yeah, I've been building computers since the 80286 cpu was out and still do so please don't bother arguing about how much more knowledgeable you are about such things.

There are some good units out there from these manufacturers at a reasonable price point. You have to weigh your needs vs. the build time and parts costs and make the decision that works for you and your level of knowledge/ability.

temporarilyidle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages temporarilyidle

I got the yellow steel series mouse from a previous woot. Yes, simple, but man does it slide well! It IS small, but I never use my full palm to hold a mouse anyway. The way I hold all mouses, this fits perfectly. Yes, the sensitivity will SKYROCKET. I had to turn down the cursor speed to almost nothing to get something I could handle. If you utilize the sensitivity swap button, it's great for FPS games involving scopes when you are zoomed in and want a lower DPI.

Great little mouse, nothing fancy, totally worth ten bucks!

nato2010

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nato2010

The WT710SLC is Haswell in the detailed specs, but it's a 3rd gen core i7 (Ivy Bridge) in the product name... which is it woot?!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

nato2010 wrote:The WT710SLC is Haswell in the detailed specs, but it's a 3rd gen core i7 (Ivy Bridge) in the product name... which is it woot?!

Let's put it down to the wee hours of the morning but I'm not seeing where it refers to 3rd gen or Ivy Bridge. Can you be more specific? This sale, right?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

patchrowcester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patchrowcester
stinawargo wrote:I've got the Gunnar glasses and I love them. There are many independent reviews out there (just do a google search) and they all say that the glasses are worth the buy--IF you already have issues with headaches/burney eyes/dryness etc. If your eyes are perfectly fine, not worth the money. If you have issues, yes worth the money.

I do not have issues with my eyes, so I suppose I am good.

Thanks for the info.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

I'm waiting for "Revenge of Pong III" to come out.
Then I'll stock up on this crap.

mrgulio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrgulio

DO NOT purchase the Onza controllers. These controllers have a history of being remarkably prone to breaking after light usage. I purchased one from Woot not understanding that the warranty for the item was a limited warranty for 6 months. Month 7 rolls around after very light usage and the left analog stick will constantly signal in the down position regardless of if the controller is being used or not. I contacted Razer about the defect and was flatly told the device was out of warranty and would not be able to be serviced, much less replaced.

There are many other defects that you can see if you google. Here's a few from CNET's customer review section. http://reviews.cnet.com/game-accessories/razer-onza-tournament-edition/4852-10110_7-34512764.html

Woot, please stop selling these faulty products.

treehuggerguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treehuggerguy

Anybody know if the XL2420T is a Rev 2.0 model? I'm looking for something that is flicker free. Also, anyone have any results on the glasses helping with headaches?

benq

treehuggerguy wrote:Anybody know if the XL2420T is a Rev 2.0 model? I'm looking for something that is flicker free. Also, anyone have any results on the glasses helping with headaches?

This model has the latest firmware but does not have the ZeroFlicker technology. Currently, only the XL2420TE has that feature, and is available only new.

comma

quality posts: 12 Private Messages comma
freeweezyy wrote:Win8 is also a better OS, and there's a guy on reddit that sells legitimate Win8 keys for ~$40.

LOLx2

comma

quality posts: 12 Private Messages comma
TheRaven wrote:Fine then. Tell me how you're going to build me a Alienware X51 R2 Haswell Core i7 4770 with GTX 670 GPU?

You can't because it's a custom SFF case.

So, I suggest you cool it with the "overpriced crap" comments.

Oh yeah, I've been building computers since the 80286 cpu was out and still do so please don't bother arguing about how much more knowledgeable you are about such things.

Oy... this is just ig'nant. I guess if you MUST have the "custom" X51 case, then you should spend the extra money to buy the X51. Or, just maybe, yer 286-bildin' skilz couldn't help you figure out and build a cheaper and better alternative. Maybe?

Anyhoo, the tired, "I'm-an-expert-because-I-say-so" interweb practice of espousing your bona fides to stave off any criticism is as l@me now as it was when you were building 286s. There was a memo. And, to assume the person you disagree with knows less than you (or you know as much as they) makes you look like a tw@t.

"Overpriced" is a term that is directly relative to ones needs/abilities, and PC vendors have to make a profit. That said, it's relatively easy to build a cheaper, better PC that more precisely serves one's needs than buying off the shelf, and that includes SFF.

So, I guess some people don't agree with you. Deal with it.

evillinux

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evillinux

I've bought 2 BenQ 3D monitors from WOOT and I have to say I love them. The first one was brand new, the second one I bought a couple weeks ago was the current offered one, the only disappointment was there is 1 dead pixel dead center of the monitor. This isn't a "HUGE," issue for most of the things I do/play you really can't notice it.
Overall great monitor, awesome 3D functionality, I have a ASUS + 2 of the BENQ running in 3 Monitor 3D with my Nvidia system and I have to say games are a blast to play if they support full 3D. Well worth the money!

treehuggerguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treehuggerguy
benq wrote:This model has the latest firmware but does not have the ZeroFlicker technology. Currently, only the XL2420TE has that feature, and is available only new.

Thanks for letting me know. Looks like a great monitor, but I might have to hold off for something else.

squidward

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squidward

I ordered the BlackWidow Mechanical KB. Came in yesterday..installed today..and typing on it now. It is incredible. I am very happy with it.

I'm not a gamer, I use it to program. It reminds me very much of the IBM PC KBs from back in the 8088 days.

The backlit keys are also great. I like how the brightness is adjustable..and it is adjustable in sensible increments from OFF, to very very bright.

Well worth the money.

yuel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yuel

I just received my Blackwidow Keyboard suggested factory reconditioned on woot,but labeled as refurbished on the box,and I can find dust and some dirt on the rubber on the back.Did I receive the wrong package?

kolme

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kolme
benq wrote:For those who are wondering what the difference is between the two BenQ 120Hz monitors, the answer is pretty simple.

The two monitors share the same panel, with the more expensive one being specifically designed for Nvidia 3D gaming, while the other is Nvidia 3D compatible. The TX actually has the emitter built into the monitor and will play 3D on any console or PC just by plugging into the HDMI port. The less expensive "T" version will support a external emitter, but is designed around the CS and other high speed platforms where most of the pro's play and practice in 2D. Bottom line - if you want to play wearing glasses and getting the full NVidia effect without extra hardware, the TX version is the one you want. If you are CS player or rarely play with glasses - you want the T. Hope that helps!

Sorry for this last minute question, however I am interested in the BenQ XL2420TX monitor but first had several questions...
1. - In the past I know that some of these had emitter problems that required a new firmware update, will I receive one of these newly updated ones?
2. - Some have had dead pixels, lines, etc with the TX, does the 90 day warranty cover this?
3. - I see it is "windows 7 compatible," will it have any Windows 8 issues?
4. - Since it has HDCP support, the 2d should be compatible with cable boxes with HDCP support?

Thanks and sorry for the plethora of questions, but I'm a serious buyer!

vtran03

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vtran03

anyone receive their monitor yet? first time wooter and i still haven't received any information about shipping my order other than it being in "shipping now" status.

thanks!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

vtran03 wrote:anyone receive their monitor yet? first time wooter and i still haven't received any information about shipping my order other than it being in "shipping now" status.

thanks!

Hi! Shipping on stand delivery orders usually takes 3-5 business days from the purchase.
I would recommend that if you don't see if activity/updates to your order by tomorrow October 16th, then you should email into support@woot.com and inquire.