WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Maybe I'm just uptight. Maybe I'm hypocritical, because I enjoy some pretty intense pranks (including this coffeeshop horror made to promote the Carrie remake). But I think tricking people into thinking their city has been destroyed by a meteor goes way too far. I guess LG makes their point about how realistic this "Ultra HD" TV is, but, uh, you know, making people believe their families and friends have been killed doesn't seem all that fun.

Watch Watch This First first, weekday mornings at 7 Central. Because the best way to start the day is to start it a few minutes later.

DisplacedAvenger

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DisplacedAvenger

Call me skeptical or jaded, but it would take a lot to convince me that this wasn't staged. The fade-to-black (at 1:25 in the video) wouldn't work without full control over the room lighting at the very least--and even then, it would be hard to make it convincing. Somehow the "interviewer" manages to get out of the room, stranding the "interviewee"--even though he's farther from the door. And, of course, one would expect some significant building vibration from being that close to that significant a meteor strike, which would take a lot more infrastructure work to make happen than they show in the "setup" section.

Sorry, cute ad, but I'm just not buying the prank side of it.

79jaybird

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 79jaybird

with some mega base, they could have made the room shake. Either way, it was pretty cool. I asked some co-workers and got mixed responses on being upset or being excited. I'd be laughing about it personally.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

If someone were to convince me they murdered my children followed by an "April Fools!" I would still kick their ass. I see little difference here. What the hell is wrong with some people using the perception of imminent death as a 'prank'?

worlebird

quality posts: 3 Private Messages worlebird

Actually, I think the thing that would give this away would be the lack of parallax. The person walks several feet into the room, then sits down. If you did that, and the angle of view through the "window" never changed, I think you would be tipped off pretty quickly that the window was just an image. I've seen some very impressive "lightbox" images that attempt to look like fake windows, and they look really good until you move your head, and then you instantly lose the illusion. I think the same thing would happen here. I call "staged".

DocMenach

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DocMenach

I highly doubt that in the heat of the moment you would have the presence of mind to notice the parallax or other issues and call it out as fake.
Seems like a pretty messed up joke to me. You can see how angry that one guy is.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster

Most folks walking into an office for an interview would be distracted enough by anticpation and the person behind the desk, especially since they entered an office building so no glaring tip offs there.

With a *good subwoofer setup to add to the effect and an 84" view (not currently a standard or popular size for most homes) I think it would overwhelm the senses.

I was selling high-end audio/visual gear when the Cerwin Vega Sensurround system was first used in theaters to give that gut-wrenching perception of all hell breaking loose. Trust me - it can mess with ya big time!

Couple that with the new hi-res format and I say this would catch 90% of the folks off guard.

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

betterlater

quality posts: 1 Private Messages betterlater

I thought nothing on TV would mess me up more than seeing The Day After when I was a kid. This proves me wrong.

jeffathomp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jeffathomp

I'd be pissed about the fake interview.

Joeytdm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Joeytdm
jeffathomp wrote:I'd be pissed about the fake interview.

Yeah, I'd be more upset about that as well. They lure people in with the promise of a job prospect and then laugh at them when they fear for the worst? I hope it's a setup (believe it is, even) because if it's real, it does not make me think very highly of LG or their ad agency. Not that I had a high opinion anyway, but still.

olcubmaster

quality posts: 31 Private Messages olcubmaster

LG has played mind-pucks before in an attempt to illustrate the clarity of their HD's.

Here's an earlier prank:

Sugar 'em up and send 'em home

greeneyez2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages greeneyez2
olcubmaster wrote:LG has played mind-pucks before in an attempt to illustrate the clarity of their HD's.

Here's an earlier prank:

Would be great in an amusement park venue....right?

JeffDeWitt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JeffDeWitt

If the objects outside the "window" are close up, say trees in a yard, then you have a good point. However what these people were seeing would have appeared to be quite a distance away, much of it would be miles away. You don't get that much parallax in a scene like that. Plus if the people were there for an interview they aren't going to be paying much attention to the window.

worlebird wrote:Actually, I think the thing that would give this away would be the lack of parallax. The person walks several feet into the room, then sits down. If you did that, and the angle of view through the "window" never changed, I think you would be tipped off pretty quickly that the window was just an image. I've seen some very impressive "lightbox" images that attempt to look like fake windows, and they look really good until you move your head, and then you instantly lose the illusion. I think the same thing would happen here. I call "staged".

oddsbeater1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages oddsbeater1

The window prank was much better than the floor prank. I must admit, however, that had I been a victim of the window prank, I'd be in jail right now for assault....check that....several assaults.

I think, therefore.."I-M".