WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Super-Mega-Maximal Ultrabooks

These aren't just any notebooks. They're Ultrabooks. They don't just boot up. They ultra boot up. And they don't just surf the internet. They ultra surf the internet. Wanna check the date and time? Too bad. Because these bad boys only have the ultra date and time!

rtcheung

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rtcheung

What exactly is factory reconditioned entail? Any different than refurb?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

rtcheung wrote:What exactly is factory reconditioned entail? Any different than refurb?

A "factory reconditioned" item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It's as close to new as you can get without technically being "new".

thecorrectline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecorrectline

Super-Mega-Maximal - except that they all pretty much suck. Badly.

Lets see here, only the HP Envy have dedicated graphics. More than half the rest are Intel 3000 - not the "it might be ok, maybe, at 10 FPS or so..." Intel 4000. No no no, Intel 3000. Super mega what now? The rest are Intel 4000 - good luck, have fun with that 10 FPS.

Ok, back to those HP Envy that might maybe possibly come close to fitting the bill of Ultrabook, even if not mega-maxi-whatever. 1366 x 768 TN screens, sad little 1.8 I5's, 4 gigs ram (you'll have to upgrade to 8 gigs), crawling 5400 rpm HD's, and 4 (FOUR! are you kidding me?!) cell batteries. So good luck with your 30 minutes use time. That's not intensive use, no no. If you say might actually want to use those graphics for something? Less. Super ultra mega nothing. The best of this lot is badly sub-par.

corvettejoe

quality posts: 22 Private Messages corvettejoe

annnnddddd I missed the only FullHD Zenbooks again... guess I'll be waiting again for the next round

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
corvettejoe wrote:annnnddddd I missed the only FullHD Zenbooks again... guess I'll be waiting again for the next round

NEW Acer-Aspire-V5-572P-6858 I5, 15.6 inch, touchscreen, 1920x1080, 4GB RAM (but expanadable)
$499

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Acer-Aspire-V5-572P-6858-Touchscreen-Laptop/productID.283976000?siteID=Es5Ekr9eEBk-x3x8EJql2IXoR.ig91umtA

TheCK

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheCK

Not to be off subject but is that a baby bottle nipple in the upper left corner of the picture in the screen of the sample laptop? Cause I've never seen a big sun and a lil sun before?

--TheCK

john1863

quality posts: 0 Private Messages john1863
thecorrectline wrote:Super-Mega-Maximal - except that they all pretty much suck. Badly.

Lets see here, only the HP Envy have dedicated graphics. More than half the rest are Intel 3000 - not the "it might be ok, maybe, at 10 FPS or so..." Intel 4000. No no no, Intel 3000. Super mega what now? The rest are Intel 4000 - good luck, have fun with that 10 FPS.

Ok, back to those HP Envy that might maybe possibly come close to fitting the bill of Ultrabook, even if not mega-maxi-whatever. 1366 x 768 TN screens, sad little 1.8 I5's, 4 gigs ram (you'll have to upgrade to 8 gigs), crawling 5400 rpm HD's, and 4 (FOUR! are you kidding me?!) cell batteries. So good luck with your 30 minutes use time. That's not intensive use, no no. If you say might actually want to use those graphics for something? Less. Super ultra mega nothing. The best of this lot is badly sub-par.

Unless, of course, you don't do heavy gaming on a laptop like, oh, 90% of the people that use laptops. These are perfectly acceptable for web surfing, watching youtube and netflix, typing documents, etc like most people use their laptops for.

TheCK

john1863 wrote:Unless, of course, you don't do heavy gaming on a laptop like, oh, 90% of the people that use laptops. These are perfectly acceptable for web surfing, watching youtube and netflix, typing documents, etc like most people use their laptops for.

On the other hand if all you were doing is web surfing - why would you buy a super mega-maxi-bs laptop? I don't think the previous post was saying there is anything wrong with these laptops for that purpose - they were pointing out the flaw in the description of their performance. But 90% of the population who doesn't know a proper laptop from a hole in the ground would prolly agree with you on your assessment of their statements.....

--TheCK

corvettejoe

quality posts: 22 Private Messages corvettejoe
gak0090 wrote:NEW Acer-Aspire-V5-572P-6858 I5, 15.6 inch, touchscreen, 1920x1080, 4GB RAM (but expanadable)
$499

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Acer-Aspire-V5-572P-6858-Touchscreen-Laptop/productID.283976000?siteID=Es5Ekr9eEBk-x3x8EJql2IXoR.ig91umtA

Asus vs Acer.

I fix computers and laptops for a living. I have shelves of dead/unfixable Acer's, HPs, Sony and other "major" brands that I will never personally own or recommend to any person. Acer is one of the worst.

gak0090

corvettejoe wrote:Asus vs Acer.

I fix computers and laptops for a living. I have shelves of dead/unfixable Acer's, HPs, Sony and other "major" brands that I will never personally own or recommend to any person. Acer is one of the worst.

I work on lots laptops and computers as a hobby, but I have not noticed that trend. None of the major critical components are made by the laptop manufacturer- they are outsourced, even ASUS doesn't make all the motherboards in all their computers. These companies simply design the shells and assemble the components. Maybe some companies have poorer assembly standards, but I have seen issues with every brand. I have owned HP, Acer, Asus, Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Toshiba products in the past- and I don't have an overall brand loyalty. They all have their successes and failures at times, but it's more model related than it is brand related.

DarthCat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DarthCat
thecorrectline wrote:Super-Mega-Maximal - except that they all pretty much suck. Badly.

Gaming laptop =/= Ultrabook. I don't know what you've read or not read, but the whole appeal of an ultrabook is the convergence of capable processing performance with sleek form-factor and low power usage (due to intelligently-stepped Haswell 22nm Core i3/5/7 processors). These things are slightly larger/heavier than tablets, but are fully functional for everything short of (and sometimes inclusive of, if you're not looking for modern benchmarks) gaming.

Even the Zenbook Primes (the Asus "FullHD" models, with 1920x1080 IPS panels) get 6+ hours on an average charge, because all of their components are specifically picked for low TDP and high efficiency (albeit at the expense of not being replaceable.)

Sorry to disappoint you - I'm sure there will be gaming laptops available really soon!

jschafer75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jschafer75

Does anyone know (or have an educated guess) if this refurbished model be eligible for the Windows 8 upgrade this Friday?

TheCK

jschafer75 wrote:Does anyone know (or have an educated guess) if this refurbished model be eligible for the Windows 8 upgrade this Friday?

You ask that question as if anyone would volunteer to actually use Windows 8 on a laptop that wasn't forced into it at gun point?

--TheCK

jschafer75

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jschafer75
TheCK wrote:You ask that question as if anyone would volunteer to actually use Windows 8 on a laptop that wasn't forced into it at gun point?

Valid point, TheCK. I'm not a huge PC user....mostly Mac but I have a need for a PC at home (specific software for my biz) and my desktop is about dead. Haven't shopped for a while so perhaps I shall keep my eyes peeled for a W7 machine. I wasn't aware of all the controversy with W8. Thanks!

TheCK

jschafer75 wrote:Valid point, TheCK. I'm not a huge PC user....mostly Mac but I have a need for a PC at home (specific software for my biz) and my desktop is about dead. Haven't shopped for a while so perhaps I shall keep my eyes peeled for a W7 machine. I wasn't aware of all the controversy with W8. Thanks!

Yeah I can tell you as of this coming Friday Dell will no longer be selling machines with Windows 7 and your only option will be Windows 8. You'll prolly still see some woot refurbs with 7 but I'd avoid windows 8 like a rabid dog with obsessive compulsive cuddling disorder!

--TheCK

gak0090

jschafer75 wrote:Valid point, TheCK. I'm not a huge PC user....mostly Mac but I have a need for a PC at home (specific software for my biz) and my desktop is about dead. Haven't shopped for a while so perhaps I shall keep my eyes peeled for a W7 machine. I wasn't aware of all the controversy with W8. Thanks!

Windows 8 isn't that bad. If you are not a user of mediacenter (separate install)- you can make windows 8 pretty much operate the same way that windows 7 does and bypass the metrosexual tile screen all together. see this: http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7
You are better off getting a windows 8 machine and making the changes (3rd party apps/tweaks to make it like windows 7) cost-wise. Some of the new hardware doesn't have windows 7 drivers to support it (not that you can't get around it)- but the ends really don't justify the means. If you get a touchscreen- you might even find yourself liking the windows 8 interface. So don't let people scare you away from windows 8, because you can make it work pretty much the same as windows 7.

davai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davai
gak0090 wrote:NEW Acer-Aspire-V5-572P-6858 I5, 15.6 inch, touchscreen, 1920x1080, 4GB RAM (but expanadable)
$499

the only one feature missing is backlit keyboard..

lineman8144

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lineman8144
corvettejoe wrote:Asus vs Acer.

O.K. Thanks for the info. What do you suggest for us just doing the usual thing on them.

jdmkidbill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdmkidbill

I bought the Zenbook Prime 13.3" full HD ultrabook. It's perfect for what I need. My only question- why hasn't it shipped yet? Turtles at work?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jdmkidbill wrote:I bought the Zenbook Prime 13.3" full HD ultrabook. It's perfect for what I need. My only question- why hasn't it shipped yet? Turtles at work?

My goodness. Patience, new wooter. The sale said it would ship in 3-5 business days. This is the 2nd business day since your order.

Hang in there.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

phazeprod

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phazeprod

Everyone knows you don't insult the chef unless you want spit in your food... ;)

jdmkidbill wrote:I bought the Zenbook Prime 13.3" full HD ultrabook. It's perfect for what I need. My only question- why hasn't it shipped yet? Turtles at work?

jdmkidbill

ThunderThighs wrote:My goodness. Patience, new wooter. The sale said it would ship in 3-5 business days. This is the 2nd business day since your order.

Hang in there.

The shipping speed was listed as Standard (3-8 Business days). I would have to guess that's the carrier time, not the handling time it takes for Woot to ship out. No where does it state the handling time.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jdmkidbill wrote:The shipping speed was listed as Standard (3-8 Business days). I would have to guess that's the carrier time, not the handling time it takes for Woot to ship out. No where does it state the handling time.

If you look under the price on the sale's detail page (on a live sale), you'll see the estimated time to shipping. It'll say something like "In Stock. Ships in 3-5 business days."

On your order details page, it estimates the time when you might receive it.

Could be clearer.

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jdmkidbill

ThunderThighs wrote:If you look under the price on the sale's detail page (on a live sale), you'll see the estimated time to shipping. It'll say something like "In Stock. Ships in 3-5 business days."

On your order details page, it estimates the time when you might receive it.

Could be clearer.

I appreciate the help. I'm still having trouble finding the estimated time that I might receive my order. When I view the order details page, it lists the Shipping & Payment, Order Contents, Order Details, and Total.

Under Order Details, it lists order number, order date, and order status. Below that section is the Tracking. Is my account defective? There's no ETA.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 156 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jdmkidbill wrote:I appreciate the help. I'm still having trouble finding the estimated time that I might receive my order. When I view the order details page, it lists the Shipping & Payment, Order Contents, Order Details, and Total.

Under Order Details, it lists order number, order date, and order status. Below that section is the Tracking. Is my account defective? There's no ETA.

It sounds as though the tracking has yet to update on your account. Usually it's 3-5 business days before the items ships (often times it's much quicker than that)
If you placed an order earlier in the week, I would wait until early Monday, October 21st to check.

If you still don't see any links or movement, I would write into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll be more than happy to assist you with any questions you have about your order.

gak0090

davai wrote:the only one feature missing is backlit keyboard..

I just got mine- it surprised me, but it DOES have a keyboard backlight. The whole back panel comes off to give easy RAM and complete HD access in case you want to upgrade to SSD. I love it!

NEW Acer-Aspire-V5-572P-6858 I5, 15.6 inch, touchscreen, 1920x1080, 4GB RAM (but expanadable)
$499